Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've talked to them a few times when I'm in the park at night, and it's fascinating, they care about what is happening, they are very motivated to try to protect the hedgehogs, but their ideological framework renders them incapable of understanding the situation

I mean, they probably understand it. They just can't/aren't willing to accept it (or the tradeoffs involved) being the reality, hoping that they are right and things will somehow get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Protecting the hedgehogs ineffectually as a hobby that gets you outdoors produces better feelings than simply not making the hedgehogs require protection.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I think it was this thread but I remember a little while back we were talking about a goon who can can get discounted Microsoft Office codes for others. I don't remember the details sadly, but we've recently got a new PC here as my office was selling its surplus and if anyone can point me to the right goon that would be great.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1711515560104640983

:allears:

I love how there is still so much mistrust in the official narrative. The article is actually fairly ok, but the clickbaity headline had be lol'ing

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 10, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

PriorMarcus posted:

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I think it was this thread but I remember a little while back we were talking about a goon who can can get discounted Microsoft Office codes for others. I don't remember the details sadly, but we've recently got a new PC here as my office was selling its surplus and if anyone can point me to the right goon that would be great.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368&pagenumber=119&perpage=40

Here you go.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

ooh handy, was going to link https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345 but nice to see there's more than one option

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So many weird pauses in her answer, is she being fed it through an earpiece?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sebzilla posted:

So many weird pauses in her answer, is she being fed it through an earpiece?

“Barack Obama is a good orator, and he pauses a lot, maybe if I just insert random pauses in my speech, people will think I’m good too!”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Her brain only works so fast and it's a topic fraught with minefields. Doesn't want to say something that will get her turned on or sued. I think I would just not go on the telly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Her brain only works so fast and it's a topic fraught with minefields. Doesn't want to say something that will get her turned on or sued. I think I would just not go on the telly.

You at least have the sense and the moral standards to not be a politician.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well I've restarted and rebooted several times, switched the Windows Defender notification icon back on, scanned & rescanned with two different antivirus programmes, and it's working fine

I'll wait a week or so make out it was really complicated and send her a bill for £480 ;) (not really but that's what she would have paid total - £400 to the scammers & £80 to someone to clear it for her!)

She is coming round to the idea that she needs a new laptop though - this one of hers must be about 11 years old now.
You can get one that does all she needs for under £300 these days.

I strongly recommend grabbing a refurbished Thinkpad off of eBay. Business laptops are far better built than consumer laptops and will be far more durable and reliable as it gets older, and Thinkpads are the best of the lot.

I got this machine a few weeks ago for £162 including 48 hour delivery and a 1 year RTB warranty.

It’s got an Intel i5 8350u, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Pro and the 1080p IPS screen. It’s 5 years old and still has 90% battery health, so with typical use gets about 6-7 hours on the battery.

Newer and larger machines are around £200-300 and will be leagues ahead of any consumer laptop for the same price point.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why are you getting a refurb Thinkpad and not running Arch with a big tittie anime waifu wallpaper?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

andyf posted:

ooh handy, was going to link https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345 but nice to see there's more than one option

Thank you both!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I strongly recommend grabbing a refurbished Thinkpad off of eBay. Business laptops are far better built than consumer laptops and will be far more durable and reliable as it gets older, and Thinkpads are the best of the lot.

I got this machine a few weeks ago for £162 including 48 hour delivery and a 1 year RTB warranty.

It’s got an Intel i5 8350u, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Pro and the 1080p IPS screen. It’s 5 years old and still has 90% battery health, so with typical use gets about 6-7 hours on the battery.

Newer and larger machines are around £200-300 and will be leagues ahead of any consumer laptop for the same price point.

I will die before I use a Thinkpad with Fn where Ctrl should be.

and yes I know you can switch that in the bios

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

I actually switched my other laptop to do it the ThinkPad way :unsmigghh:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1711654447376478570

Who's excited for Keith's speech?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

For older folks if they're more a content consumer than creator an iPad (with a little Bluetooth keyboard if needed) is ideal for staving off tech worries, they are very hard to break software-wise - since I junked mothers old laptop and bought her a new iPad I have had to do 99% less home support computer janitoring, absolutely worth the outlay from my pocket.

(iPads can be used for writing / spreadsheets / art of course, but I still find them just a little clunky compared to a proper computer)

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Still rocking a t420 and it's entirely needs suiting.
ThinkPads also have the bonus of being somewhat serviceable. You can open em up and swap poo poo out fairly easily.
HDD held in with 1 screw, so you don't even have to open the laptop to replace it, and you can swap out the DVD drive for a 2nd drive without any tools (just need the adapter)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

Thinkpad way is much comfier if you are a keyboard shortcut manaic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I just bought myself a tasty Thinkbook (I wanted a new machine not a refurb and Thinkpads were a bit too expensive). I hadn't realized that touchscreen laptops are on the way out (being 7-8 years since I last bought a laptop) so that confused me a bit as I got used to the touch screen on my other laptop.

For mum, I'll just stick to a basic Windows machine bearing in mind sometimes my sister (no expert at all in IT) will be trying to sort mum's problems out if I'm away or whatever.

All she needs to be able to do is get her email, write a few reports for church or whatever for local newsletters (she uses one of the 'open office' softwares for that) and do as little internet buying (mostly coach tickets) /bill paying as possible these days though she does do some. She has some eyesight difficulties and also a problem with her hand which if she tries to get the cursor in the little 'accept the t&cs' boxes she finds it very difficult as her goes into some sort of wobbly spasm and the mouse is shooting all over the place.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The saddest croissant I've ever seen.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly for this sort of stuff I just install Linux Mint or one of the specifically-designed low power Linux distros intended for use on computers with a Pentium 3 and 512mb of RAM.

For the average older home computer user as long as you can teach them where the internet browser lives and optionally the calculator and Office-style apps, that’s all they’ll need, and there’s no chance of them ruining their system by downloading not-a-virus.exe.

Of course things like phishing or social engineering still exist, and malware toolbars/search hijackers/etc are a risk. I wonder if you can lock browser customisation down to admin-only or something, and not give her the admin password?

Speaking of social engineering, I keep getting sales calls from Virgin Media (who I am already with) and they call me, tell me they’re from Virgin and then ask to go through the security questions. How does a company the size of Virgin Media not realise that this is literally not possible to differentiate from a scam call? It’s just training people to give out memorable words and mother’s maiden names to whoever the gently caress rings you up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You could install Siverblue or some other immutable linux, give them user only access, and any time they do gently caress it up just flash it back to a previous snapshot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

For older folks if they're more a content consumer than creator an iPad (with a little Bluetooth keyboard if needed) is ideal for staving off tech worries, they are very hard to break software-wise - since I junked mothers old laptop and bought her a new iPad I have had to do 99% less home support computer janitoring, absolutely worth the outlay from my pocket.

(iPads can be used for writing / spreadsheets / art of course, but I still find them just a little clunky compared to a proper computer)

All my mum can do on an ipad is facetime. Everything requiring writing on screen or mousepad throws her hand into the wobbly thing I mentioned in the post above.
Personally, I can't imagine doing 'proper' work on an ipad (apart from not allowing iThingies into the house),

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Bear posted:

The saddest croissant I've ever seen.
That's the leader of the Labour Party.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

Speaking of social engineering, I keep getting sales calls from Virgin Media (who I am already with) and they call me, tell me they’re from Virgin and then ask to go through the security questions. How does a company the size of Virgin Media not realise that this is literally not possible to differentiate from a scam call? It’s just training people to give out memorable words and mother’s maiden names to whoever the gently caress rings you up.

The DWP does this too, calls from a private number and demands my full name, address, and national insurance number. They get upset if you tell them "I'll call you back on the number I have on my paperwork" so it's only a matter of time I fall for a scam this way.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Utah teapot.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

domhal posted:

Utah teapot.

Is that one of those obscure/fake sex positions?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/truth_checkers/status/1711553616803148164

:allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm going to guess Calvin probably had the holiday booked already

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it that bad when a horrible right wing grifter grifts 10s of thousands off of other horrible right wing idiots? Seems like the impact is neutral at worst.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm fine with idiots being scammed. I find it funny that these grifters do it so blatantly these days and have absolutely no repercussions. My guess is he's going to move back to the US and abandon his fake pope gig

In other news, this lol just appeared on my timeline:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1711654515500314666
The Centre for Social Justice is the right wing think tank founded by Iain Duncan Smith among others

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1711687211337331066

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 10, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/charlesbamford/status/1711402081582563693?s=20

Reporting everyone in this thread to Prevent for being extremists with grievance based politics

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

My favourite anarchist strain is...nihilism?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1711623276756152530

:guillotine:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

All my mum can do on an ipad is facetime. Everything requiring writing on screen or mousepad throws her hand into the wobbly thing I mentioned in the post above.
Personally, I can't imagine doing 'proper' work on an ipad (apart from not allowing iThingies into the house),

I wonder if ur mum's wobbly hand* would be helped by one of the ergonomic meece like the Microsoft sculpt? Feels much more natural/stable for me.

*(good username there)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My racist state brutality is based on legitimate concerns, your struggle for housing and food is based on a grievance narrative

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Where are we getting the money to send aid to Ukraine, then? The magic money tree?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Already been reported to prevent for handing out SNP flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, you also have a grievance narrative about my legitimate concerns? How convenient :rolleyes: