Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The show had two separates tones to it that didn't mix at all and felt quite jarring. Comedic "witty" steven moffetness and a gritty horrific intense situation drama. You might say my brain felt slightly confused.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TinTower posted:

The tutor lady didn’t know that, mind you, so DT’s character could’ve easily gone for the confessional privilege excuse, but nah, everyone but Stanley Tucci in the show is a loving idiot.

Tucci's character is an idiot too. And not just because his only real deduction is the therapist thing that makes no sense. His genius move at the end of the series is a convoluted scheme that wasn't in any way necessary.

The problem he's facing: He reckons that maybe someone should check the missing person's last known destination, because that might be a good way to find the missing person. But he can't check himself, because he's in prison.

His solution: He pretends he no longer wants to be executed and offers a deal to his father-in-law. He says that if the father-in-law can get him a reprieve from execution, he'll tell him where he hid his wife's severed head, and that finding his wife's severed head will also make it clear why he killed her. He goads the father-in-law into beating him until he gives up the location to end the violence. But aha, it was all a ruse, and the location he's "forced" to give up is actually the missing person's last known location, so the father-in-law sends people with shovels to the vicarage.

Why this is stupid: He has a phone in his cell and a sprawling network of agents and minions in the outside world who apparently have nothing better to do than to answer his calls and do his bidding, and multiple of them are already near the village in question. He could have just... told someone to go have a look. There was no problem here that needed a solution.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Confusedslight posted:

The show had two separates tones to it that didn't mix at all and felt quite jarring. Comedic "witty" steven moffetness and a gritty horrific intense situation drama. You might say my brain felt slightly confused.

Again, I only watched the first episode but you're right, it can't merge those two things. The abrupt tone shifts reminded me of the movie Very Bad Things, which is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This show where Stanley Tucci is a murderer who poorly solves crimes sounds loving stupid as hell

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I would happily watch a show where Tooch solves crimes, but not like this.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Tucci was good fun to watch in that series, at least, and I’m sure Moffat had half an eye on another season with him - lest we forget the post-credits scene where the tutor character, presumably fresh from a horrific and traumatising kidnapping experience, visits Tucci in his American jail and coolly asks for his help in murdering her husband

:psyduck:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I feel like I've lost brain cells just reading you guys' summaries of Inside Man, I can't imagine how bad actually watching it would be. It sounds like some Book of Henry-level poo poo.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Dunno if anyone here is also a "Magic: the Gathering" fan, but this recent Polygon article goes into some details about the new sets that're coming out, and shows off the card art for all of the Doctor legendary cards (some have better art than others) and a bunch of the secondary cards. (Dunno if that's all of the relevant cards or if there will still be some more.) One of my favorite details is that the special DW-specific special lands are all Dalek locations instead of anything calm and peaceful and maybe more relevant.

https://www.polygon.com/23896362/doctor-who-magic-the-gathering-mtg-commander-set-pre-order

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Class3KillStorm posted:

Dunno if anyone here is also a "Magic: the Gathering" fan, but this recent Polygon article goes into some details about the new sets that're coming out, and shows off the card art for all of the Doctor legendary cards (some have better art than others) and a bunch of the secondary cards. (Dunno if that's all of the relevant cards or if there will still be some more.) One of my favorite details is that the special DW-specific special lands are all Dalek locations instead of anything calm and peaceful and maybe more relevant.

https://www.polygon.com/23896362/doctor-who-magic-the-gathering-mtg-commander-set-pre-order

Sarah Jane Smith: Human Detective.

Also kind of hosed how they made Troughton slimmer in that first card.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

The_Doctor posted:

I would happily watch a show where Tooch solves crimes, but not like this.

He's great in the first season of Fortitude, which starts as a nordic style murder mystery, but then goes in wild horror directions and gets crazy heavy on the body horror.

It has Christopher Eccleston in it too!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It certainly does.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Class3KillStorm posted:

One of my favorite details is that the special DW-specific special lands are all Dalek locations instead of anything calm and peaceful and maybe more relevant.

Those ones specifically are a Dalek-themed Secret Lair rather than being from the precons/collector boosters

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What on earth is that cascade buff effect on The First Doctor supposed to be

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

You want heart wrenching/oof timing episodes... The day after my dad died, my mother and I turned on the TV for the first time all Saturday - he might have died, but we're not missing Doctor Who - and sat down to watch an episode called Father's Day

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dabir posted:

What on earth is that cascade buff effect on The First Doctor supposed to be

Synergy with the TARDIS, which gives things cascade.

There's a few creatures that only really make sense with their intended partner

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wolfechu posted:

You want heart wrenching/oof timing episodes... The day after my dad died, my mother and I turned on the TV for the first time all Saturday - he might have died, but we're not missing Doctor Who - and sat down to watch an episode called Father's Day

Oof, I’m sorry, that must have been hard-going. I hope you skipped it for your sakes.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The_Doctor posted:

Oof, I’m sorry, that must have been hard-going. I hope you skipped it for your sakes.

Nah, we ploughed on through it, I think it was what we needed that day. Still amazed that was like 18 years ago now. :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/barnabyedwards/status/1709710760450916374?s=46

:3:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can somebody tell us what they're talking about?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Can somebody tell us what they're talking about?

(Not you, ofc; they mean the transphobes.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Quote is not edit.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
There was a youtube video uploaded years ago, that i can no longer find that had the 9th doctor 'watch' the 10th doctor era on tv (using clips from the episodes in Rose's flat.) and right at the end the 10th doctor joins him after he regenerates.

Does anyone remember this video or have a link to it?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Big Finish Chat

The most recent Once and Future released, which has Chris meeting up with David Warner in what I must assume I is his final appearance. I say I must assume it as I have just also listened to his latest in the Benny line, where he was sounding somewhat old and tired...but here, here he sounds absolutely rough. Not necessarily *bad* unless you're familiar with his cadence and patterns. In the beginning, I actually thought it was a brief Tom Baker cameo due to the absolutely different sound coming from Warner.

The story itself is kinda pointless, this one particularly felt so - though the entire series has been an excuse to fanservice for the 60th and get as many people meeting as possible (and I appreciate the inclusion of Warner's Alt Dr, as that series if a FAVE of mine) it is either extra obvious here or beginning to grate on me.

Still, its a brisk listen and would recommend it as the actors carry it regardless of feelings on plot.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Muppetjedi posted:

There was a youtube video uploaded years ago, that i can no longer find that had the 9th doctor 'watch' the 10th doctor era on tv (using clips from the episodes in Rose's flat.) and right at the end the 10th doctor joins him after he regenerates.

I definitely remember this, but I can't seem to find it any more. I'm pretty sure it was made by BabelColour, but if it was there it might have been taken down.
There's still a few fun old things on that account, the Liz Sladen memorial is nice, and I enjoyed the old Time War trailer he made.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Muppetjedi posted:

There was a ‘musical’ amv that did this. It had songs like Come Sail Away by Styx, gently caress You by Lily Allen, mayyybe How Far We’ve Come by Matchbox 20? More besides, but those are the ones I remember.

Fake EDIT: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dHkbdMYpSA

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

The_Doctor posted:

There was a ‘musical’ amv that did this. It had songs like Come Sail Away by Styx, gently caress You by Lily Allen, mayyybe How Far We’ve Come by Matchbox 20? More besides, but those are the ones I remember.

Fake EDIT: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dHkbdMYpSA

Ah nice find!
The youtube link seems to be blocked, but it's still up on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/TenthDoctorTheMusical

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

The story itself is kinda pointless, this one particularly felt so - though the entire series has been an excuse to fanservice for the 60th and get as many people meeting as possible (and I appreciate the inclusion of Warner's Alt Dr, as that series if a FAVE of mine) it is either extra obvious here or beginning to grate on me.

There are very few original series actors included, beyond the Doctors, which is interesting to me.

A lot of the cameos seem to be feature characters from BF spinoff ranges rather than anything else. Paternoster Gang, The Unbound Doctor, Missy, Jenny, Lady Christina, UNIT, River Song. Most of the other ones are recasts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It kinda' blows me away that nobody's undone River's beginning/ending.

I want it even though it would suck and they shouldn't do it. There's no way The Doctor couldn't find a way to put a saved consciousness in a Flesh body or whatever the gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

River's last(?) appearance in an 11 story, from memory, features a line from her where she says something like "by the way, I'm from after you saved me in the library, how can that be?" and 11 just shrugged and said,"Spoilers" or something along those lines. I didn't particularly like that but Moffat never really went any further with it, just kind of left it hanging out there.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Jerusalem posted:

River's last(?) appearance in an 11 story, from memory, features a line from her where she says something like "by the way, I'm from after you saved me in the library, how can that be?" and 11 just shrugged and said,"Spoilers" or something along those lines. I didn't particularly like that but Moffat never really went any further with it, just kind of left it hanging out there.

Is that how that went? If its what I'm thinking of I thought she mentioned she was going to the library and the doctor says spoilers when she sees that he reacts to the name. It's been years though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought River's last chronological appearance (in her timeline) was The Name of the Doctor, where she was psychically communicating from inside the Library computers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boxturret posted:

Is that how that went? If its what I'm thinking of I thought she mentioned she was going to the library and the doctor says spoilers when she sees that he reacts to the name. It's been years though.

That was Husbands of River Song with 12 I think?

Dabir posted:

I thought River's last chronological appearance (in her timeline) was The Name of the Doctor, where she was psychically communicating from inside the Library computers.

If we're thinking of the same episode (and I might be misremembering) the assumption is that she's projecting from the library and can only be seen by Clara, but then she goes to slap 11 at one point and he physically blocks her hand, and then admits that he's always been able to see her and it was just too painful for him to acknowledge her. So it was a kind of weird mix of maybe she's a projection but also maybe she's got a physical presence again?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She's still a psychic projection in that scene, Time Lords are also psychic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCIzc-rlINo

"Since no one else in this room can see you, god knows how that looked."

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's the one!

Man, Matt Smith was so loving good as the Doctor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone who's thinking about picking up the Chria Eccelston meets David Warner Doctor Who play that just came out should change their minds. It's loving horrible.

"We're in the nose of a temporal tornado and it's about to blow."

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 10, 2023

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Anyone who's thinking about picking up the Chria Eccelston meets David Warner Doctor Who play that just came out should change their minds. It's loving horrible.

"We're in the nose of a temporal tornado and it's about to blow."

Lmao. This line caught my mind as making no sense at the time but I misheard it and missed the nose part. I just thought the ninth doctor didn't understand weather.

It is, indeed, a bad story. Having thought about it some, it was mentioned that this is a weird 60th adventure story due to the lack of original cast. It struck me this is more a big finish anniversary story than anything else.

If you like a lot of their original characters and want to see them interacting with the doctor, it's worth a listen but I'd wait for it to be on sale.

I gave it a second listen and the story is absolutely an attempt at a big lore piece that falls flat. It tries so hard to mimic other time lord lore stories but do we really need another reason The Doctor is a unique snowflake (and specifically the big finish characters all factor in specifically into this lore somehow)?

If they were going for big finish OG characters I would have rather seen the alternate master, I want to see how he's handling the apocalypse codes or whatever. The lumiat is fun but they kinda already did that with Eight (of the thirteen).

Edit thinking about it more, I understand why they use the Lumiat since she is from the Missy range, and has way more current appearances (and a more available actor) than the alternate master.

One more edit, the more I think about it the more annoying it is that this is going to be Warner's last performance. If you want to remember him with a better audio, go listen to Truant - my absolute favorite warner Doctor audio.

I should give his shilling and sixpence audios a listen sometime. Anyone heard good or bad?

McGann fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 10, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1711745534560501822

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I am very happy about this. Although I do worry that someone convinced to try it by Ncuti taking the role might find they like it, dip in to the back catalogue and accidentally watch The Twin Dilemma and immediately die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

They should also add Night of the Doctor between the TV Movie and Rose.