Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hippo goes ham on truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-D9OWO-X8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A hippo's skin is up to 2 inches thick but underneath that they're almost pure muscle layered over incredibly thick bones. They might look like big ol' chubbos but they actually have very little body fat.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hippos kill more people every year than just about any other living creature*, they are hella territorial and move fast.

* I think mosquitoes got them beat for spreading malaria and such.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Hippos kill more people every year than just about any other living creature*, they are hella territorial and move fast.

We need to get past this mosquito slander. The mosquitos don't kill anyone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aramoro posted:

We need to get past this mosquito slander. The mosquitos don't kill anyone.

Don't listen to their lies!

A mosquitos shot my parents. :(

I dress up at night as a bat to put fear in the heart of mosquito criminals. Which is all of them. :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Deer kill a lot of people.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

When we say an animal kills someone it has to have hate in its heart when it does it. Like Hippos.

People running over deer and getting killed in the process doesn't count.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aramoro posted:

When we say an animal kills someone it has to have hate in its heart when it does it. Like Hippos.

People running over deer and getting killed in the process doesn't count.

Deer knowingly sacrifice themselves in their ongoing attempt to remove humanity from this planet.

Very respectable creatures.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Those hippos are hungry, hungry alright.

Hungry for blood.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A hippo's skin is up to 2 inches thick but underneath that they're almost pure muscle layered over incredibly thick bones. They might look like big ol' chubbos but they actually have very little body fat.

Hippo trivia:
A fully grown hippo's hide can weigh nearly half a ton in total. While not literally armored like a rhino is, a hippo's hide is almost impenetrable to lions. Bite power champions like hyenas and crocodiles might be a different story.
Hippos definitely have fat (it helps make them more buoyant in water, among other things), but less than e.g. bears, seals or domesticated pigs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also their skulls look like they came out of a WH40K ork

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

They don't, they're not "the most dangerous animal in Africa" in that they kill very many people, it's that when they do attack a person it's extremely likely that that person's gonna die

Nile crocodiles, snakes, lions, all kill more people, but the vast majority of people who get attacked by them live. Hippos not so much

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You would at least agree they are leading the charts on the "most harmless looking yet actually killer", I mean Drop Bears are just a joke Australians have.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also their skulls look like they came out of a WH40K ork

I saw a story about a camel tearing a dude's head off and was confused until I looked the motherfucker's skull up

Deceitful rear end eyelashes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd hit the hippo on its weak point, they eyeball, then apply all of my aura on a single point of my body into a perfect strike to the solar plexus, knocking it unconscious.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I would just sidestep it as it charges, then karate chop it in half.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Only tactic ever succeed against a hippo is running like the bejeezus and hope it just gives up as again, they fast.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I would simply dive head first into it's mouth and get it over with quickly.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Most of this dude made it

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/i-was-swallowed-by-a-hippo-and-ripped-apart-pauls-story-of-survival-defies-belief-c-5553718

No wildly good tips? Witnesses said he was screaming so loud and so highly pitched that the hippo got freaked out and left

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Suleman posted:

Hippo trivia:
A fully grown hippo's hide can weigh nearly half a ton in total. While not literally armored like a rhino is, a hippo's hide is almost impenetrable to lions. Bite power champions like hyenas and crocodiles might be a different story.

Hyenas will try to go through the thinner skin (the anal area) of a dead hippo, because trying to get through the thick skin is really tough.

But once there's a hole in the skin, everything goes through it and it gets bigger and bigger.

Rotting hippo carcasses are some of the worst smelling things around. Considering both the amount of rotting animal matter, and that they spend their whole life basically stewing in their own poo poo.

It's not uncommon for hippo pools, (which is so disgusting full of poo poo and bacteria and a lack of oxygen) to cause large fish kills when they get flooded in to the river.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Just imagine what America could have been, if Robert Broussard got his wish...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-the-us-almost-became-a-nation-of-hippo-ranchers-180982244/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
More like Hipp-OH NO!

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Oct 9, 2023

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'm assuming that part of the danger of hippos is their very rough shark like skin.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I think it’s the shrek ears

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

You would at least agree they are leading the charts on the "most harmless looking yet actually killer", I mean Drop Bears are just a joke Australians have.

Mate, drop bears are no joke.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh god that just reminded me, drop bear seasons is about to start again.

poo poo. :(

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hippos ftw

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Didn't think hippos could be any cooler, but after learning they wallow about covered in poo poo, piss and bacteria all day, hell,

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Biplane posted:

Didn't think hippos could be any cooler, but after learning they wallow about covered in poo poo, piss and bacteria all day, hell,

Living their best lives, meanwhile we're all going about deluding ourselves!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

They also just whip their poo poo all around with their tails.

because they can.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look sure, at this point I think we all know none of us well ever be as cool as the noble hippo, do we really need to keep rubbing it in!!!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You can't take my dreams away! I will develop into a beautiful horse of the river!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DandyLion posted:

Living their best lives, meanwhile we're all going about deluding ourselves!

Really makes you think about what's truly important in life.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Before hippos fight they poo poo. The hippo that shits the most always wins the fight, buoyed up by his own stench.

Just like goons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVsCzRJKaY

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

yaffle posted:

Before hippos fight they poo poo. The hippo that shits the most always wins the fight, buoyed up by his own stench.

Just like goons

This is why inciting a fight is known as "starting poo poo"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Uh oh, poo poo's going down!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

also left and right!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm yelling shitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzwZeoJGQ_4

I assume the first one is real? I kept expecting the fart