Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just found out that baby crying hoarsely because of a sore throat is somehow kinda worse than baby crying loudly. Less ear pain, more heart pain.

Daycare is good, but also bad. Luckily we get the best of both worlds now, full sickness with none of the relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Girl is one now and her first word was "no." Or more specifically, "No, no, no," while shaking her head in a sassy fashion. Which I assume she picked up from daycare.

My wife has ascribed intent in her saying "dadada" or "mamama" for a while, which I have long interpreted as just pre-speech babble. She has lots of good sounds really. Then yesterday she looked up at me from the ground, reached to be picked up and hit me with a purposeful "dada" and it about knocked me on my rear end.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Ma, ba, pa, and da are all early monosyllables that kids develop early, which is why we use them as parent words in so many languages.

I think I've heard that if you treat the things your kids babble as having meaning, they pick up language faster

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Having two kids is like high intensity language camp for the youngest. There's a gigantic difference in what my 2 year old can say vs his firstborn peers. It also helps that he's huge for his age, so he plays a lot with the older kids. Usually we progress from daycare to kindergarten around age 3, but he's been playing with them since he turned two.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dog has opened up to his baby sister. Which is good, because when she spits up he's on it.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Dog has opened up to his baby sister. Which is good, because when she spits up he's on it.

Same.

First, dog just avoided baby.

At one year, baby fed dog and dog loved it, but dog disrespected her and knocked her down when she was walking sometimes.

At 15 months, she started playing with dog aggressively. Had to teach her to play gently, but it instilled some respect in dog.

Now at 18 months they seem to be at a good place and they just go outside and run around each other joyously, barking and laughing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Votskomit posted:

At 15 months, she started playing with dog aggressively. Had to teach her to play gently, but it instilled some respect in dog.

Dog is a klingon and baby gave it the vulcan hello

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Mom made some turmeric tea for herself. Baby took the teacup and drank it. Didn't like it, so gently put the teacup on the bed and walked away.

We're probably never going to get the yellow stain off of the sheets now.

Microplastics posted:

Dog is a klingon and baby gave it the vulcan hello

Heh. Gonna have to make my kid watch star trek for her moral education.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
[Parenting] We're probably never going to get the yellow stain off of the sheets now.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Microplastics posted:

[Parenting] We're probably never going to get the yellow stain off of the sheets now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Votskomit posted:

Mom made some turmeric tea for herself. Baby took the teacup and drank it. Didn't like it, so gently put the teacup on the bed and walked away.

We're probably never going to get the yellow stain off of the sheets now.

Stains are just bonus memories.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby is on a str build and using con as a dump stat because she can easily lift her head or roll over during tummy time but still only growing a few ounces

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Active babies don't put on weight as quickly as lazy babies. Our 5mo is super active - rolling everywhere, muscling herself around and sometimes kicking like a beached fish for the sheer joy of it. As a result, she's a long thin baby, not a fatty chubbster.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Our 6 M/O is dex build also

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twin b is the tank and a is swifty dps

it's kind of weird how B's so much bigger and toned

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

my 11 month old got covid :shepface:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bitmap posted:

my 11 month old got covid :shepface:

ahh they'll make a fine wizard

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Elissimpark posted:

Active babies don't put on weight as quickly as lazy babies. Our 5mo is super active - rolling everywhere, muscling herself around and sometimes kicking like a beached fish for the sheer joy of it. As a result, she's a long thin baby, not a fatty chubbster.

Our almost 8-month old has finally mastered rolling around. Perhaps too much, because everytime we try to nudge her into crawling, she just rolls. Seems like she has decided that rolling around is the superior way of moving around.

And it's been two months since I had to order the soft puzzle-like play mats from the internet because no one around had them. And just yesterday, we walk into a store, and there's all kind of the soft floor play mats: big, medium, with letters, small.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My 18 month old is suddenly fast. Goes up and down stairs on her feet. Opens doors. Jiggles keys in doors. Climbs railings and trees.

Now every now and then in the house you just hear "DO YOU HAVE HER?" and another voice "YES SHES HERE NOW"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol yeah my 23mo can outrun his mother now. And he has a habit of running to the exit of whatever establishment we're in, and somehow knows exactly where that exit is every time. It sure makes restaurant visits stressful

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Lol yeah my 23mo can outrun his mother now. And he has a habit of running to the exit of whatever establishment we're in, and somehow knows exactly where that exit is every time. It sure makes restaurant visits stressful

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Enjoy your deathtrap, ladies

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twins had their 9mo check ups today

A's perfectly in the middle percentile in size metrics

B's >95 in all categories, like a 3lb difference between the two

Amazing how different they are

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Me: are you putting your clothes on?

Six year old: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 [pause] 2048 [longer pause] 4096

I'm pretty sure this kid is gonna be bored in maths class... Also he will never get laid on account of not being able to focus on changing clothes.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Found my younger kid reading "My Little Pony: The Manga" on the library app. It's what I get for teaching them how to use the computer and to read.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Me: are you putting your clothes on?

Six year old: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 [pause] 2048 [longer pause] 4096

I'm pretty sure this kid is gonna be bored in maths class... Also he will never get laid on account of not being able to focus on changing clothes.

*Taps head* if you're always naked you don't need to change clothes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
60-90 minute feeding schedule is maddening. Wife is gonna die.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

number 2 is nearly 8 months and still only takes a bottle only under very specific circumstances, hates sleeping alone and barely eats or sleeps at daycare two days a week.

this has been going on long enough that it’s all normalized and we can deal, but nearly every day I’m hit with waves of anguish and anxiety that I have to teach another human what knees are, not to eat random berries etc. we just did all that like a year ago.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I feel like a real dad today. I just knocked a tooth out of my 6 year old! The baby was crying, so I put down the guitar on the floor and picked up the baby. And within that maneuver, the six year old crawled under me, so that when i sat down it was on top of him and somehow his mouth hit the guitar and knocked out a tooth. I did a quick panic before remembering it was loose already.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trying to potty-train the 3-year-old this weekend is going about as badly as it possibly could. She knows when she has to pee, is capable of holding it in, but is simply refusing to sit on the potty and is instead opting to pee on the floor no matter what we promise her.

Like, I know you're supposed to stay positive, but none of the articles etc are written with a kid in mind who announces to you "I'm going to pee on the floor" and then does so, and who throws screaming tantrums if you try to guide her toward the potty instead. We're restricting her to her playroom (playmat is easy to clean), refusing to give her screen-time or story-time or any of the most fun toys until she sits on the potty, at which point she can eat M&Ms and do all her favorite stuff all the time, and she has chosen instead to pee on the floor, repeatedly.

I'm pretty sure we're doing this wrong but I don't know what the right way is at this point.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is it a muscle control thing? my younger son can NOT pee standing up because for whatever reason he can't relax his core muscles enough to let it flow while standing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No, she is able to tell us when she has to pee, while not peeing, and simply will not go sit on the potty as a response.

She's napping now (unusual, she dropped nap a couple weeks ago) and we're thinking when she wakes up we're just gonna drop it for now because at the end of the day you need your kid's cooperation in this process and she's not ready to give it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Where's the potty at?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Several different locations. Upstairs bathroom, downstairs bathroom, right next to her, discreet corner. No matter

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

loquacius posted:

No, she is able to tell us when she has to pee, while not peeing, and simply will not go sit on the potty as a response.

She's napping now (unusual, she dropped nap a couple weeks ago) and we're thinking when she wakes up we're just gonna drop it for now because at the end of the day you need your kid's cooperation in this process and she's not ready to give it

My 3yo does great keeping dry at school but he doesn't poop on the potty, and it's a fight to get him to go potty at home. Kind of debating giving up for now but he's doing so well at school it feels like a waste. Or just switch to diapers at home, which seems like it would lead to confusion, but he's treating his underwear like diapers at home anyway.

My first kid had a false start, regressed, and at 7 she's still dealing with constipation issues and accidents and still needs a pull-up at night. My middle child I just waited until around 4 when he decided to switch to underwear and that was basically that, my 7yo still has more accidents than he ever did.

In short, I dunno.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

our first it was a single weekend

our second took four tries and was terrible

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Several different locations. Upstairs bathroom, downstairs bathroom, right next to her, discreet corner. No matter

drat I'm sorry

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

loquacius posted:

isn't the normal technique to just sit them on the toilet for a few minutes once an hour (or half hour) on a timer and then when they happen to pee you give them praise/candy/etc.?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

She has in fact peed on the potty that way before and has decided that it's not particularly for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The "3-day method", where your kid just goes bottomless for a weekend and there's (hopefully metaphorical) blood or glory, is the currently favored method for if being casual about it just kinda doesn't work. This one's gonna take a few false starts though