Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

off to plan my next family vacation, hanging out with the janjaweed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It really wasn't true that violence could pop off at any time before this week. Especially inside the 67 borders.

Nothing is true until it is lmao. Traveling to an apartheid state always carries a risk of large scale violence breaking out

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

After Israel completes its purge of Gaza in five years the same ghouls on MSNBC cheering on the genocide with offer the same mealy mouthed “The indigenous population probably could have been treated a bit better. We must learn from our mistakes going forward” they do when they talk about native Americans when they aren’t fighting for their rights here in the US

i dont think they will feel the least bit bad even once in their lives. if anything, they'll bring it up as a moral parable about the price people pay for refusing to overthrow scare quote Authoritarian Governments or what have you.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Neurolimal posted:

Vacationing literally anywhere else:
- Cheaper
- Less likely to be racist towards you
- There aren't priest-hobos throwing rocks at you
- Most of them aren't ethnosupremacy states
- Not as likely to get randomly bombed

Vacationing in Israel:
- You really love racism
- You need to cross "selfie on Palestinian ruins" off your bucket list
- Your israeli family members are guilt tripping you into visiting
- Lively bomb shelter nightclub scene

A lot of pros and cons imo

I feel like you can get a bomb shelter night club anywhere in East-Central Europe though

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hope your friends get home, lmao at defending them from not being dumb as gently caress

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Slava judea

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

theres literal daily violence in israel all the time against arabs/palestinians etc it just very surprisingly never gets talked about in the western media

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Why does atrocity propaganda work so well on liberals?

Liberals love the Barbaric Other because it allows them to be the Good Guys, the Protagonists of History, without actually doing anything to challenge the status quo.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

aaand here comes the German legal system!

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1711741468530839768

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Thoughts and prayers for hamas

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hope your friends get home, lmao at defending them from not being dumb as gently caress

They 100% dumb as gently caress, this dude was planning on leaving his 18 year old son there for a year which I assume isn't happening now. IDK if dumb as gently caress is even the right word. it's more just willfully ignorant and self deluded which isn't any better.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Hamelekim posted:

unless it’s 2000 rockets nothing will have a serious impact. maybe they smuggled a larger bomb into the place, but otherwise I’m not expecting much.

yeah I dont think it will be significant either but lets see

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

putin harden your attacks (against germany)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Liberals love the Barbaric Other because it allows them to be the Good Guys, the Protagonists of History, without actually doing anything to challenge the status quo.

yes it makes the everyday cruelty of capitalism within the core seem like a fair and reasonable tradeoff

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i dont think they will feel the least bit bad even once in their lives. if anything, they'll bring it up as a moral parable about the price people pay for refusing to overthrow scare quote Authoritarian Governments or what have you.

Yeah. It's a minority of people that are not in favor of genocide in the west. There is. No hope and it's only going to get worse. We will live to have to choose between martying ourselves or keeping our heads down as atrocities worse than WWII occur

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Frosted Flake posted:

I know that’s GBS/D&D’s obsession, but they’d just do the same thing with someone else, or if necessary invent one.

Why does atrocity propaganda work so well on liberals?

If it did theyd be supporting all oppressed peoples in the world.

No they love things which justify their views.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

the only DEI we're going to get out of this is Agnus

The Late Antique History Podcast?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

VoicesCanBe posted:

Sorry to sound naive but it's terrifying how quickly the average liberal has transformed into a psycho fascist demanding genocide of the Gaza Strip.

Scratch a liberal etc but ill never not be disturbed at how quick the shift happens in real time

my first real instructive version of this was living in portland and seeing all of the blm and love means love signs quietly come down once they saw blm was working with homeless people, who they then voted to put in concentration camps

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

so israel has 5 subs (that they bought from germany, lol) that are slcm short range nuke launchers. each has 10 tubes that could potentially shoot nukes, idk if they carry additional slcms.
they also have jericho icbms (which they licensed to south africa for nukes, lol).
they've got maybe 400 warheads, maybe 50 on subs, probably some more as bombs, artillery, rpgs, etc. so that means there's a bunch of icbm silos in israel. the subs are for second strike capability.
it's a pretty small country, so those icbm silos should be known to other countries. it doesn't seem completely implausible that the surrounding countries could invade and destroy the icbm silos before they could launch.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al! posted:

my first real instructive version of this was living in portland and seeing all of the blm and love means love signs quietly come down once they saw blm was working with homeless people, who they then voted to put in concentration camps

liberals infiltrating blm and neutering/destroying it also saw it firsthand

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This whole affair does bring into sharp focus how much America needs to be destroyed.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1711564263402209307

right-wing hack for the WaPo provides a boilerplate description of the rules-based international order and all the replies are about how he needs to gently caress off because Israel shouldn't be obliged to do any of it

Karen asking for the War’s Manager

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

so israel has 5 subs (that they bought from germany, lol) that are slcm short range nuke launchers. each has 10 tubes that could potentially shoot nukes, idk if they carry additional slcms.
they also have jericho icbms (which they licensed to south africa for nukes, lol).
they've got maybe 400 warheads, maybe 50 on subs, probably some more as bombs, artillery, rpgs, etc. so that means there's a bunch of icbm silos in israel. the subs are for second strike capability.
it's a pretty small country, so those icbm silos should be known to other countries. it doesn't seem completely implausible that the surrounding countries could invade and destroy the icbm silos before they could launch.

syq

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mantis42 posted:

quote:

Often the young people go home in tears, or in a tearless rage, when they have seen the child and faced this terrible paradox. They may brood over it for weeks or years. But as time goes on they begin to realize that even if the child could be released, it would not get much good of its freedom: a little vague pleasure of warmth and food, no doubt, but little more. It is too degraded and imbecile to know any real joy. It has been afraid too long ever to be free of fear. Its habits are too uncouth for it to respond to humane treatment. Indeed, after so long it would probably be wretched without walls about it to protect it, and darkness for its eyes, and its own excrement
to sit in. Their tears at the bitter injustice dry when they begin to perceive the terrible justice of reality, and to accept it.

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Oct 10, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

america comes out and flatly says that they sent their aircraft carrier to prevent hizbullah and Iran from coming to gazas aid

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1711741843874967791?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Vacationing in Israel is the weirdest poo poo

I get there's a cultural and religious significance but the area has been contested for decades and violence can pop off at literally any time with absolutely no warning

Why not vacation in any of the places where you don't have to have a constant nagging worry of rocket attacks or airport bombings?

"It rarely happens" is like an okay answer to why You're not worried about getting mugged on a trip to Chicago, I don't know if that applies to getting stuck in the middle of a huge sectarian conflict

Rarely is pretty disruptive in this case

my grandmas family traces back to Armenian families in Jerusalem that fled during the Nakbah (grandma actually got a visa to leave because an Armenian family down the street got murdered and they found a visa for the dead daughter who's name was nearly identical to grandmas, so she took her identity and hosed off). I'd love to go back and see the city but yeah, either I'm funding an apartheid regime or I'd get caught in figurative or literal crossfire OR on the off chance there's someone looking through archives who can link my name to those Nalbandians there'd probably be some uncomfortable questions.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

america comes out and flatly says that they sent their aircraft carrier to precent hizbullah and Iran from coming to gazas aid

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1711741843874967791?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

hezbollah has the chance to do something pretty funny

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

liberals infiltrating blm and neutering/destroying it also saw it firsthand

well that and all the "citizen journalists" the cia flooded the area with, who for the most part all stopped posting except for the bellingcat guy who decided to make it his "beat"

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

mcmagic posted:

It really wasn't true that violence could pop off at any time before this week. Especially inside the 67 borders.

Yeah man in the broader context of this conflict, historically, I just don't know if I agree with that and thinking this situation was sustainable forever seems pretty naive especially in the context of the last 72 hours

The western narrative around Israel has been that their neighbors are ready to push them into the sea at any second, if you're enough of a cheerleader to want to vacation there you have likely bought into that narrative, and if one sincerely believes the Muslim world is waiting for the right opportunity why risk putting your family in this situation?

There's this western sort of entitlement around Israel that makes people really dumb and irrational and I'm sure deep down the danger is part of the fun of the vacation in which case I'm sorry for your friend but lmao

Level 100 Stalin
Sep 14, 2023
Sooo umm did Hamas actually release any videos of executions of IDF soldiers or nah?

asking for a friend...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

123 idf dead

more than the entire 2006 lebanon war

iraqi combatant deaths: 34,144–71,544
iraqi civilian deaths: 280,771-1,033,000

US civilian to combatant ratio: 8.2-14.5

idf deaths: 123
israeli civilian deaths: 900 minus 123 idf = 777

hamas civilian to combatant ratio: 6.3

hamas kicked things off with a Triple Stephen Paddock and still managed to more effectively hit military targets than the US

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah. It's a minority of people that are not in favor of genocide in the west. There is. No hope and it's only going to get worse. We will live to have to choose between martying ourselves or keeping our heads down as atrocities worse than WWII occur

i mean that feeling of isolation and powerlessness is exactly what youre meant to feel when presented with the wall to wall blast of propaganda going on. if they didn't feel vulnerable they wouldn't bother with it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The US intervened in Lebanon twice, and I don't recall either going well for them.

I realize this won't be like Suez, where an ascendant China tells Israel and the US to knock it off, but I do feel like we're moving towards that moment.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ashkelon now being hit with hundreds of rockets so far, right on time

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1711743806507278697?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

aljazeera now reporting an 'unprecedented' scale of missile attacks against Ashkelon

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
what's up with the iron dome anyhow, haven't seen anyone talking about it

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1711743806507278697?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

a way more humane warning than "knocking" thats for sure

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Tons of rockets launched towards Ashkelon

Dti now and forever

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Yeah man in the broader context of this conflict, historically, I just don't know if I agree with that and thinking this situation was sustainable forever seems pretty naive especially in the context of the last 72 hours

The western narrative around Israel has been that their neighbors are ready to push them into the sea at any second, if you're enough of a cheerleader to want to vacation there you have likely bought into that narrative, and if one sincerely believes the Muslim world is waiting for the right opportunity why risk putting your family in this situation?

There's this western sort of entitlement around Israel that makes people really dumb and irrational and I'm sure deep down the danger is part of the fun of the vacation in which case I'm sorry for your friend but lmao

Of course it was naïve to think that the status quo would be able to be sustained forever. I'm just saying that for most of the last 20 years or so, if you're a rich American tourist and wanted to go take a vacation in Israel you quite literally had nothing to worry about. You were probably safer than someone visiting many American cities...

I'm telling you, the "danger" wasn't even a thought to these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
bad news for the integrity, self awareness, and lack of hypocrisy of the first minister of scotland:

quote:

Scotland’s first minister Humza Yousaf has written to the UK foreign secretary James Cleverley calling on him to push for a humanitarian corridor in order to evacuate civilians from Gaza.

Yesterday, Yousaf revealed that his parents-in-law, who live in Dundee, are trapped in Gaza while visiting family there. Yousaf, whose wife, Nadia El-Nakla, is of Palestinian descent, said her parents were struggling to find safe passage.

In a letter to the foreign secretary on Tuesday, Yousaf reiterated his condemnation of the “abhorrent terrorist actions of Hamas” and added, “collective punishment of innocent civilians cannot be justified and will do nothing to set the conditions for peace in the region”.

“As a close friend and ally of Israel, I therefore ask the UK Government to call on the Government of Israel to ensure innocent civilians are protected and to put in place an immediate ceasefire to allow the safe passage of civilians through the Rafah border. Furthermore, it should open a humanitarian corridor into Gaza to allow supplies, including food, fuel, water and medical supplies, for those civilians who are trapped, helpless and cannot leave.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0830b0d91d6edc