Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

We were losing our poo poo like it was Reaper of Souls all over again. It's not often you see devs say "Hey, we're removing all the bad things and implementing all the good things!" with a straight face or without some bullshit about sticking to their guns because of their vision(that every player is complaining about and hates.)

Tarnop posted:

The actual seasonal content is looking worryingly similar to S1 in a lot of ways: a new boss, a new system to replace hearts that's not gear related this time but is basically just another set of equippable passives that we'll have access to for a season. It is also adding a new helltide type thing called blood harvest(?) that will be available from the moment you make a character and rotates through zones without downtime. Good way to level if you like open world stuff, might be the best way to level depending on density and respawns, might be enough to make this season feel better than last.

The stream was overall pretty well received because it came with a bunch of QoL stuff that was a mix of things we knew were coming (gems as currency, mount improvements, renown carry over) and some things we didn't (XP boosts are multiplicative, monster XP scaling better in endgame, item level scaling to end game). They're also adding a boss tied to each endgame activity, each of which will drop a specific subset of uniques, and another uber boss (Duriel) that will drop the super rare uniques.

The slightly cynical way to look at it is that a lot of this stuff should have been there at launch. But the game is what it is and this is all stuff that will make the game better with more options for levelling and endgame so if you already own it I expect it will be worth a try.

There's a class balance and itemisation stream tomorrow and it would be real weird to make people happy with stream 1 and then piss them off with stream 2 weeks before the new season starts, so it seems reasonable to expect mostly good news. Vulnerable damage might get hit again but I would expect corresponding buffs to other things given how it went down last time.

Thank you both! Yeah I already have the game and got a Walking Arsenal Barb to level ~78 in preseason then a Blood Lance Necro to ~75 in S1 but the S1 Caged Hearts and just overall seasonal mechanics absolutely bored me to death, even if a few of the hearts were good-to-great. I like a lot of the news about gems being fixed and would love to hear good news in the next stream about itemization being better, because that is the main gripe of like... everyone I know that has played it but stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thank you both! Yeah I already have the game and got a Walking Arsenal Barb to level ~78 in preseason then a Blood Lance Necro to ~75 in S1 but the S1 Caged Hearts and just overall seasonal mechanics absolutely bored me to death, even if a few of the hearts were good-to-great. I like a lot of the news about gems being fixed and would love to hear good news in the next stream about itemization being better, because that is the main gripe of like... everyone I know that has played it but stopped.

The seasonal mechanics look to be about the same so that isn't great. But the QoL stuff is addressing almost all of my complaints so I am sitting here actually excited and itching to play again and annoyed I gotta wait a week.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If they announce that Glyph XP comes from all end game activities it'll be all they need for the core game to stand with or without Bloodignant Tunnels. As it is the powers for vampires look much more engaging than malignant hearts and the proposed end game loop of doing stuff to fight an Uber Duriel is better too. And it's all getting baked into the game as each season hits, so good poo poo. We won't have the hearts but Varshan is there as a boss to fight too.

The dozens of QoL updates and things like 40% faster leveling, significant polish to horse movement, a stash in every shop(lol) was just ridiculously sweet of the devs. Ashes won't have dumb level gating, gems as mats, etc, etc.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doomykins posted:

If they announce that Glyph XP comes from all end game activities it'll be all they need for the core game to stand with or without Bloodignant Tunnels.

Coming up with a system for this will help them make the seasonal mechanics feel less siloed off from the rest of the game, because they will be able to sprinkle a little glyph xp on anything they add. I liked the idea earlier in the thread of dropping a currency that you spend at the glyph altars in NMDs

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m hopeful for tomorrow since the last bit of class changes were all buffs. Ride that high and buff the other builds.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the idea of “you will know someone with an uber unique” means that i will probably be grinding until i get one or more

i’m not sure what class would best make use of them. probably barb with grandfather and andariels maybe? idk maybe it’ll still be too rare to assume a season of grinding will get you one

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

harrygomm posted:

the idea of “you will know someone with an uber unique” means that i will probably be grinding until i get one or more

i’m not sure what class would best make use of them. probably barb with grandfather and andariels maybe? idk maybe it’ll still be too rare to assume a season of grinding will get you one

depending on how the loot tables shake out, barb currently has the best percentages at uber unique drops. they're probably going to announce a barb helm tomorrow though so probably best to revisit then

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Will the Steam release make it any easier to install D4 on the deck without having to rebuy the game? Or will it still require the same work around install for bnet?

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

bamhand posted:

Will the Steam release make it any easier to install D4 on the deck without having to rebuy the game? Or will it still require the same work around install for bnet?

From what they said on the stream, it sounds like if you want to play on Steam you need to buy it again. It sure didn't sound like there was any sort of account connecting you could do to use your existing install, so I would keep your hopes real low on that one.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

kumba posted:

the love for d2r seems almost entirely nostalgia driven

as someone who never played d2 in its prime, i lasted about 40 minutes in d2r before i uninstalled it and never looked back

lol 40 minutes you made it to what level 5?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The den of evil claims another victim

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Campfire Chat today is at 2pm est / 11am pdt.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Licking my lips and hoping for more good eats. If it's two hours of more good news than S2 will be a hell of a comeback.

Class balancing and explanation of new stats/reworked buckets on crit/vuln/overpower yeah. I wonder if they'll rework and update a lot of the underused abilities, I can't see adding more in yet, especially since "add a new good ability" and "make a bad ability good and an option" are about the same thing but I assume it'd be easier to save existing abilities with assets and code.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
When does S2 kick off? I'm assuming that the patch will drop after S2 ends in the 17th and then S2 a couple of weeks after that?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

EC posted:

When does S2 kick off? I'm assuming that the patch will drop after S2 ends in the 17th and then S2 a couple of weeks after that?

One second after S1 ends, it rolls over immediately.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EC posted:

S2 starts the same day S1 ends - October 17th. Patch drops right before the start of the season.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I appreciate that they're just going for it with no lag period between patch and S2.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Oh dang, that's excellent news.

We're two paragon points away from 100 which means the only thing left to do in the season is go for a Uber Lilith kill I guess? We went in around 75 or 80 whenever the quest gets added to the log and immediately died, so it just might be hopeless but who knows.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Licking my lips and hoping for more good eats. If it's two hours of more good news than S2 will be a hell of a comeback.

Class balancing and explanation of new stats/reworked buckets on crit/vuln/overpower yeah. I wonder if they'll rework and update a lot of the underused abilities, I can't see adding more in yet, especially since "add a new good ability" and "make a bad ability good and an option" are about the same thing but I assume it'd be easier to save existing abilities with assets and code.

Gonna hinge on the items

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
weird how much ~content~ is emerging so quickly and clearly ahead of schedule, hopefully they wouldn't release half-baked rushed stuff because that's just going to blow up in their face

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I don't expect the world of tacking four bosses onto the end of existing content but making that content less useless or dull revitalizes the game too.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Put the act bosses randomly into dungeons like the butcher.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Moving the vendors next to the waypoints is enough to requalify for GOTY for me. The towns actively drove me crazy because they took you out of the game for extended periods, were very obviously taking you out of the game, and the spacing had no real purpose. Some of the towns even had vendors that you needed to use one after the other on literal opposite sides of the map to make it mathematically the longest possible distance.

The itemization changes and 40% XP boost are just gravy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leon you do a good job posting news but have some higher standards. Moving vendors should not = goty

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

euphronius posted:

Leon you do a good job posting news but have some higher standards. Moving vendors should not = goty

(It was just a joke because of how bad some of the towns were.)

Seriously, putting the gambling NPC in the top right corner of the map and the stash/blacksmith at the bottom left corner is such a dick move for no reason.

One of the towns had MULTIPLE LADDERS that you had dismount and climb to get to the occultist. WHY?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

weird how much ~content~ is emerging so quickly and clearly ahead of schedule, hopefully they wouldn't release half-baked rushed stuff because that's just going to blow up in their face
What content? I understand what you’re trying to do here but what specifically are you referring to? Use your words like a big kid. The amount of actual new stuff in the first 2 seasons has been extremely thin.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Fixes do not count as content

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

*can watch the cool cinematic from the game instead of Youtube*

INCREDIBLE CONTENT

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Season 1:

New boss

Alternative dungeons/cellars in malignant tunnels that allow focused loot farming for hearts and challenging new boss.

New monster adjectives(very light but the three malignant types count)

Power system(hearts)

Season 2:

3-4 bosses(depends on how you count Varshan joining the end game Uber Duriel loop or if he's significant changes)

New monster group(devs words, so vampires that aren't the wraiths and wraith knights in current undead groups I guess)

Blood harvest tides

Power system that looks beefier than hearts.

---

Seems fine to me. 3-4 months of side time for game dev for patch content is about this big. I assume there's a split between keeping D4 running with a steady stream of new content vs the main team building the first full expansion. We can debate the quality of the content but the content is there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

American McGay posted:

What content? I understand what you’re trying to do here but what specifically are you referring to? Use your words like a big kid. The amount of actual new stuff in the first 2 seasons has been extremely thin.

Why do you post like this

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
hoping someone posts a big tldw post, since I'll be out for awhile and don't think I'll have the time to watch a 2 hour video about a video game today

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why do you post like this

they're not worth engaging on any topic, as their primary motive is attention seeking

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I mean, if their basis for content is Destiny than the content is a little light especially the yearly expansion that’s coming. The battlepass armor is worse than destiny, destiny offers unique transmogs per class (little leeway as there are only 3 classes) and the seasonal content is generally ok, but as someone who plays both, Destiny’s live game blows D4 completely out of the water.

I don’t think destiny does that great of a job to be honest either.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Well, it's been a minute. Bone wizardry was super fun this season. Druid will probably be my starter for S2. That class just doesn't stop being crazy fun.

Hopefully, today's stream doesn't drop the ball. Last week's felt too good to be true.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If they get rid of all the pointless maluses on uniques and especially Sorc gear then it'll be a step in the right direction. Also stop making effects last like 2.4 seconds, nobody knows what that means, 1 second increments only!!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Make effects last 12 seconds and renew themselves in that same window, miss me with that "hyper focus on specific timings to maintain or use routine buffs" in a genre where taking my eyes off my character can lead to death in a second.

Tosses Convention of Elements into dumpster.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lord Packinham posted:

I mean, if their basis for content is Destiny than the content is a little light especially the yearly expansion that’s coming. The battlepass armor is worse than destiny, destiny offers unique transmogs per class (little leeway as there are only 3 classes) and the seasonal content is generally ok, but as someone who plays both, Destiny’s live game blows D4 completely out of the water.

I don’t think destiny does that great of a job to be honest either.

Destiny is loving poo poo I quit ages ago and never looked back. It's the same crap every year with a different lick of paint and bungie isn't even trying anymore. It's worse than call of duty for the sheer amount of copy-paste from season to season.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

No way I'm going to hit 100 in the next week, which means I'm not going to be able to complete the full season journey, but at least I got the battlepass finished up. Very much looking forward to having some easier leveling and some new endgame stuff to do - not sure why endlessly running NMDs feels so different from endlessly running Grifts, but I just burn out much faster on them. Maybe I'm getting old.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

No way I'm going to hit 100 in the next week, which means I'm not going to be able to complete the full season journey, but at least I got the battlepass finished up. Very much looking forward to having some easier leveling and some new endgame stuff to do - not sure why endlessly running NMDs feels so different from endlessly running Grifts, but I just burn out much faster on them. Maybe I'm getting old.

I'm looking forward to Season 2 having more staying power. It's not just you feeling that NMDs and Grifts are different.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tonetta posted:

hoping someone posts a big tldw post, since I'll be out for awhile

Me too. I really appreciated the posting itt from the dev presentation last week.

I am excited for game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

not sure why endlessly running NMDs feels so different from endlessly running Grifts, but I just burn out much faster on them. Maybe I'm getting old.
It's because most of the affixes are annoying.

Please note I said annoying, not difficult.