Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wow, first Gamers (TM) turn off female voice actors in games, now flowers. Where will it end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

hatty posted:

Naps are a trap. I always feel worse after them

naps own. get on nap tech, just don't let them turn into a sleep which is why you feel worse. 20 - 30 minutes is optimal.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Butterfly Valley posted:

naps own. get on nap tech, just don't let them turn into a sleep which is why you feel worse. 20 - 30 minutes is optimal.

yeah, you can't let yourself get into deep sleep or you're hosed

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

Naps are a trap. I always feel worse after them

i only ever nap when my cat(s) decide to nap with me so even when i wake up feeling like poo poo it was worth it

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wish I could nap! :argh: Sleeps schedule is busted and taking a nap could lead to sleeping the afternoon away.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I turned off the sea shanties in Black Flag. I’m the worst person.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
We are planning on getting an OLED Switch soon and looking for some advice on accessories. Specifically if anyone has any good travel case recommendations for airplane travel and any essential accessory recommendations? Is there a go-to controller people are getting for multiplayer? Anything else we might need that I'm not thinking about?

Also, we are going to be getting my kiddo their first Pokemon game and I can't parse out all the different versions. Are any of the current releases a good starting point for them? Is there a better release from the past few years?

I appreciate your insight!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How old is your kid? If they are new to games, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevie is a good starting point.
For controllers, the Nintendo Pro Controller is the gold standard. Also good are 8BitDO Pro2.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How old is your kid? If they are new to games, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevie is a good starting point.
For controllers, the Nintendo Pro Controller is the gold standard. Also good are 8BitDO Pro2.

Just turned 8. They've played the online TCG card game and are currently obsessed with Rocket League. With that in mind do those games still sound right?

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't really speak from experience but the most recent pokemon games look really buggy and bad. Eevie and Pikachu Let's Go are very simple introductions to pokemon.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I agree with the Pro being the Gold Standard, but I’ve had to fix mine three times due to the fact I keep getting drift in a clean, smoke free house.

I don’t get it :suicide:

e: I’m not dirty either. I’ll never understand why this happens. I got new/repaired JoyCons from Nintendo for free, but the Pro Controller, come on :(

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 10, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I have way more games than I'll ever have time to play, but I went ahead and bought Cassette Beasts anyway!

Roughly how long is it? I'm assuming it's way shorter than an actual Pokemon game.

Large Testicles posted:

yeah, you can't let yourself get into deep sleep or you're hosed

Butterfly Valley posted:

See, I'm the opposite. I need an hour minimum and I feel much better (slightly head-achey, but way better than being sleepy)....meanwhile, trying to nap for 30 minutes makes me wake up confused, nauseous, and upset.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yall need to learn the power nap.

- Drink a small cup of coffee
- Take a nap for 20 minutes
- Wake up just as the caffeine is hitting your brain and before you enter deep sleep
- Keep doing whatever you were doing idk taxes or whatever

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

- Wake up just as the caffeine is hitting your brain and before you enter deep sleep

This is the way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pokemon scar/vio run like liquid rear end but are very fun. kids also dont give a gently caress about framerate

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Where have I seen/heard this before?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Read After Burning posted:

I have way more games than I'll ever have time to play, but I went ahead and bought Cassette Beasts anyway!

Roughly how long is it? I'm assuming it's way shorter than an actual Pokemon game.

I've got it and reached the postgame in ~30 hours.

There's also a DLC that just came out which adds a new small zone and storyline, that's beatable in a couple hours.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sleeping is epic

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Kassad posted:

There's also a DLC that just came out which adds a new small zone and storyline, that's beatable in a couple hours.

I'm enjoying the trend of the ~30 hour indie JRPG. Sea of Stars, Chained Echoes, and I just got Cristales which seems to be a similar thing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Cristales sounds like a bible game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bruxism posted:

We are planning on getting an OLED Switch soon and looking for some advice on accessories. Specifically if anyone has any good travel case recommendations for airplane travel and any essential accessory recommendations? Is there a go-to controller people are getting for multiplayer? Anything else we might need that I'm not thinking about?

Also, we are going to be getting my kiddo their first Pokemon game and I can't parse out all the different versions. Are any of the current releases a good starting point for them? Is there a better release from the past few years?

I appreciate your insight!

my son is six and loves pokemon legends arceus. i also think it's the best switch pokemon game

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Weedle posted:

my son is six and loves pokemon legends arceus. i also think it's the best switch pokemon game

Excellent, thank you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress flowers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I'm enjoying the trend of the ~30 hour indie JRPG. Sea of Stars, Chained Echoes, and I just got Cristales which seems to be a similar thing.

Oh, is Chained Echoes supposed to be 30 hours? I've gotten so bogged down in side quests that I feel like I must have exceeded that.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Running past flowers twice to make up for the haterz

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Detective Pikachu 2 arrives for me tomorrow, looking forward to some cozy bedtime cop-aganda Pokemon shenanigans.

Kassad posted:

Hell yeah. :hai:

Got a favorite, uh, beast? From a quick skim, I'm partial to Brushroom and Ratcousel.

Can't wait to play!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Aside from JRPGs/Metroidvanias, I'd love to hear some good titles that are d-pad friendly. Maybe it's Gameboy muscle memory, maybe it's joystick failure paranoia, but when I play handheld I much prefer using the d-pad as much as possible.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Aside from JRPGs/Metroidvanias, I'd love to hear some good titles that are d-pad friendly. Maybe it's Gameboy muscle memory, maybe it's joystick failure paranoia, but when I play handheld I much prefer using the d-pad as much as possible.

any of the visual novel games are good for that or the phoenix wrights and the like

i'm playing steamworld dig 2 right now and that's very dpad friendly too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Detective Pikachu 2 arrives for me tomorrow, looking forward to some cozy bedtime cop-aganda Pokemon shenanigans.

Hell yeah. :hai:

Got a favorite, uh, beast? From a quick skim, I'm partial to Brushroom and Ratcousel.

Can't wait to play!

Cat-5 owns

Edit: If just for the insane pun in its name.

It's an electronic cat with a TV for a head and wired tails based on the myhological Cait Sith

So you have Cat-5 (the cable)
Also read as Cat-v or Ca-TV (it has a TV for a head)
Also read as Cat-S or Cat Sith.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 10, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

F-Zero 99.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Any of the various challenge platformers. Celeste, Slime-san, N++, Super Meat Boy, and there's probably a ton more.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Celeste

BROFORCE

Into the Breach

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Large Testicles posted:

any of the visual novel games are good for that or the phoenix wrights and the like

i'm playing steamworld dig 2 right now and that's very dpad friendly too

I don't want to seem ungrateful... I don't love visual novels, and the ones I would've played like Wright, I have played. Like Ghost Trick, great game, everyone should play it, but there's so much to play that a replay isn't on my plate atm. Maybe if they were out now I'd get the Trace Memory games. Maybe.

The only Steamworld I haven't done is the Card Game. Is that d-pad friendly? It's not my favorite genre (deck-builders) but I do love that franchise and they make good games.

How d-pad accessible are Kirby's Return to Dreamland or even FE: Engage? I have a voucher burning in my pocket you see.

MassRafTer posted:

F-Zero 99.

I do play it, but I'm not that good, and I'm not keen on getting that good either. It's very very good though.

Mega64 posted:

Any of the various challenge platformers. Celeste, Slime-san, N++, Super Meat Boy, and there's probably a ton more.

Celeste was such a good game. I'll check out Slime-San, see what it looks like. I've done the others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fire Emblem plays entirely on a square grid, it is very D-pad friendly.

The latter entries, including both switch entries also have exploration segments where you run around the overworld and your home base and talk to people and do various side activities, but those are fairly minor in impact and I'm pretty sure they can also be done entirely by D-pad, or even the fast travel menu, if you're so inclined.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Slime-san is another game I really love. You have batches of four levels at a time, and the main gimmick is you can slow down time to help with platforming, which also lets you pass through certain platforms. Graphics take a bit to get used to, but it works well to show what's what (ex. anything red is gonna kill you). There's also a ton of style on top of that, all sorts of weird extra content and hidden collectibles and even bosses.

It's a weird and wonderful game and definitely one of my hidden gems.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Slime-san is another game I really love. You have batches of four levels at a time, and the main gimmick is you can slow down time to help with platforming, which also lets you pass through certain platforms. Graphics take a bit to get used to, but it works well to show what's what (ex. anything red is gonna kill you). There's also a ton of style on top of that, all sorts of weird extra content and hidden collectibles and even bosses.

It's a weird and wonderful game and definitely one of my hidden gems.

I can't recall all the hidden gems you've talked about but you were dead-on with Phoenotopia.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The latter entries, including both switch entries also have exploration segments where you run around the overworld and your home base and talk to people and do various side activities, but those are fairly minor in impact and I'm pretty sure they can also be done entirely by D-pad, or even the fast travel menu, if you're so inclined.

Nice.

Ok! Gonna check out Slime-san and Steamworld Quest! Maybe get Engage too. What terrible ideas! Yay games!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Slime-san is very good

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Buggy or bad I'd love the latest pokemon at 8

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I was messing around with my Logitech G Cloud and loaded Dolphin onto it. My 11 year old lit up when he heard the start sound from Path of Radiance come out of it.
If it can run on that thing under emulation with no tailoring of the code, Nintendo has no reason not to release Radiant Collection with Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn.
DO IT NINTENDO. DO IT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I've had Slime-san on my account for like 6 years. Thank you for reminding me I still need to play it.