Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gully Foyle posted:

Just unlocked the ability to level crops. Any idea what the ideal gene upgrades for the crops? And is there a way to reset them if you make a decision you don't like?

You can prestige each crop when you level it 4+ times, to get a global farm bonus. So gene choice depends on what you are going for.

It isn't like the other prestige mechanics btw, it's the sum of the highest prestiges of each crop. So don't make the same mistake I did and hammer the prestige button as soon as you hit 4 again the second time. I'm taking everything to 4, and then prolly loop around and take everything to 6, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Baddog posted:

You can prestige each crop when you level it 4+ times, to get a global farm bonus. So gene choice depends on what you are going for.

It isn't like the other prestige mechanics btw, it's the sum of the highest prestiges of each crop. So don't make the same mistake I did and hammer the prestige button as soon as you hit 4 again the second time. I'm taking everything to 4, and then prolly loop around and take everything to 6, etc.

I'm planning on doing 4 then pretty standard idle game double up every time strat is my plan let me know how 50% works. Also if you need to say farm gold having a crop specially designed and rerolled several times might be worth having I'm not sure.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

StrixNebulosa posted:

OK best idler, was fun and I beat it: https://rose11.itch.io/mine-cards
That is a neat idea, I want a longer and more complicated version

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, I beat it by opening it, buying a few cards for 3 minutes and then having to leave to do something for 45 minutes and then coming back to full resources to buy the stair cards that were necessary.

I feel like I didn't even need to be there and make any decisions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you made the most important decision, which was not to immediately fill your deck with free 1 stones.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

you made the most important decision, which was not to immediately fill your deck with free 1 stones.

I honestly don't know that it would have made much of a difference unless you're only leaving for 10 minutes instead of 45. I have no idea how long it took for the resources to cap at 999, but they were when I got back.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ghostlight posted:

I admit I had to restart because of this

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

I admit I had to restart because of this

same, I thought it was the click equivalent

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the game is like 10 minutes long; it’s a game jam game. the way to enjoy such a game is to go “oh that’s a fun mechanic” if you like its mechanic, and “eh I don’t think it really works” if you don’t. you can’t expect it to provide hours of gameplay

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

nrook posted:

the game is like 10 minutes long; it’s a game jam game. the way to enjoy such a game is to go “oh that’s a fun mechanic” if you like its mechanic, and “eh I don’t think it really works” if you don’t. you can’t expect it to provide hours of gameplay

it takes a special kind of brain geniuis to make a 10 minute game last 45 minutes then complain it was too short

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

I'm planning on doing 4 then pretty standard idle game double up every time strat is my plan let me know how 50% works. Also if you need to say farm gold having a crop specially designed and rerolled several times might be worth having I'm not sure.

Just FYI there is a general challenge to do a L7 prestige. Trying to decide when to do that.

e: while I'm here, I still dont really understand the night hunt game. I get how to scavenge mats now but I feel like I've jammed a ton of recipes with 30% success rate and only have 2 potions so far. I got like 16 tokens so I think its working but the potion chance is lower??

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just FYI there is a general challenge to do a L7 prestige. Trying to decide when to do that.

e: while I'm here, I still dont really understand the night hunt game. I get how to scavenge mats now but I feel like I've jammed a ton of recipes with 30% success rate and only have 2 potions so far. I got like 16 tokens so I think its working but the potion chance is lower??

If you get night tokens (aka a successful ritual) but don't get a potion in the process then that specific combination of ingredients doesn't work and you need to try another. The NEW graphic next to the button will be green if it's a combination you haven't tried yet. And as mentioned earlier, the order of the ingredients does matter.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The potion chance is lower, yep.

Be sure you are only trying to make potions on the combos where the green "new" is lit up. Greyed out was a success on a no-potion combo.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That makes sense, thanks.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There's also a potion icon next to the NEW! icon that will have a number within a blue circle on it if there are any potions left to find at a given 'tier'; if you've found all the potions you can make with one, or two, or three etc. items with the ingredients you can currently find, that icon will have a 0 inside a red circle instead. Once you've got the number down to 0 you'll know any other combinations that you haven't tried yet are duds, and if the number goes up after you get access to more ingredients you'll know that they're part of whatever the new potion is.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I could see this being a good sub-mechanic for a larger game. I can really picture it in a sortof factory-management game, where the individual machines are all running copies of decks that you've optimized for certain outputs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

More of an art history lesson than an idler, but interesting nonetheless: https://antoine-ramo.itch.io/worldwide-arts-society

quote:

Worldwide Arts Society is an incremental deck-building game: choose which artists to enroll, which currents to follow, which art forms to develop, and your arts society might soar!

The adventure begins in 1799 with founding figures such as Francisco Goya or Germaine de Staël, and hits the 21st century with Beyoncé and Bong Joon-Ho.

Each artist has several different effects on the society's influence, so it's all about building a viable and diverse collective with a solid synergy! W.A.S is a solo project by Antoine Ramo.

I'm enjoying going "who is that" and looking up an artist on wikipedia and being shown the most baller statues I've ever seen (pictured is a work by Lola Mora)

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Not sure why Gooboo's Halloween event is so short, seems like two weeks isn't really long enough to progress far, or that magic should be higher so there's more ingredients to find. Also not sure what the best gene on potatoes is, went with the 50% rare chance for now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Atoramos posted:

Not sure why Gooboo's Halloween event is so short, seems like two weeks isn't really long enough to progress far, or that magic should be higher so there's more ingredients to find. Also not sure what the best gene on potatoes is, went with the 50% rare chance for now.

Same I took forever to find any 2 combo potions without save scumming. I finally found all of them but I'm at like level 3 on all the pots and nowhere near getting a 3 ingredient. Currently taking about 8-12 hours for enough for 1 more pot I just don't see how this finishes up.

Interesting Idea the odds are just too low for a seasonal event okay first try as long as the dev learns and does the next holiday better.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

pixaal posted:

Same I took forever to find any 2 combo potions without save scumming. I finally found all of them but I'm at like level 3 on all the pots and nowhere near getting a 3 ingredient. Currently taking about 8-12 hours for enough for 1 more pot I just don't see how this finishes up.

Interesting Idea the odds are just too low for a seasonal event okay first try as long as the dev learns and does the next holiday better.

It might be that the events are all planned as multi-year meta-features (which is a really neat idea that I dig) but that Halloween doesn't have much content meant to be reached in the first go-around. IMO if that's the case it would have been better to make the rewards for this year cheaper and just add new ones next year, but who knows. Possibly the second week goes way faster but I doubt it. If all Holidays end up with their own unique features, that would be real cool in the longterm.

edit: Oh, their Discord explains that it's about the meta-event currency (I just hit 150 during this event so I had no idea about this). You get a new gem (Topaz) which in this event impacts the speed you get magic. The game's new enough that nobody's earned enough to fully explore this event.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 10, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Atoramos posted:

It might be that the events are all planned as multi-year meta-features (which is a really neat idea that I dig) but that Halloween doesn't have much content meant to be reached in the first go-around. IMO if that's the case it would have been better to make the rewards for this year cheaper and just add new ones next year, but who knows. Possibly the second week goes way faster but I doubt it. If all Holidays end up with their own unique features, that would be real cool in the longterm.

edit: Oh, their Discord explains that it's about the meta-event currency (I just hit 150 during this event so I had no idea about this). You get a new gem (Topaz) which in this event impacts the speed you get magic. The game's new enough that nobody's earned enough to fully explore this event.

Yeah that's why I'm giving it this pass.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Atoramos posted:

Yah I don't have enough topaz to buy anything, but even 250 topaz gives a x3 multiplier. Which probably would have been enough to get all the event rewards.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It took me a while to figure out how magic was generated. It's the replacement for topaz as it's a "larger event" so it grows at the same rate as your gems.

You also gain event currency from successful new rituals, even those that don't create a potion, so if it's too expensive to upgrade potions you can try some new combos to squeeze a few more tokens for a purchase.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Does the gooboo farm (level 130) get automation at some point so that not babysitting it stops feeling like you're being penalised massively?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
A stat unlocks that makes extra harvests happen if you leave it longer than required to harvest, and that gets more and more efficient as you get more of that stat. It definitely takes a while to build up, but it's possible to get it quite high on some crops fairly quickly due to another mechanic you won't have unlocked if you just got farm.

but yes it still feels a bit bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lotus Aura posted:

Does the gooboo farm (level 130) get automation at some point so that not babysitting it stops feeling like you're being penalised massively?

You unlock stuff that makes it feel like you're being penalised somewhat less massively.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Later crops take like 8 hours to grow anyways so you can just set a whole field of them whenever you think to do it and it's probably fine.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Corruption is a bad balancing mechanic. Just feels bad to be powered up to go but run into a clock.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Horde is without a doubt the absolute worst of the main game modes for poo poo like that, but corruption's basically just Yet Another Reason to leave Horde alone for long stretches of time unless you're trying to boost your speed achievements (the others being souls which force at least an 8 hour run anyway if you want all of them to count, and nostalgia which can get you over the runs a lot of power you wouldn't have otherwise).

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Gooboo has turned into a bottom tier game for me the longer I play it. I might open it up in a couple weeks to see if any balancing has been done. It is too fiddly for a self branded "play it for years" game for my tastes.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Corruption is a bad balancing mechanic. Just feels bad to be powered up to go but run into a clock.

There are permanent corruption reducers later.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've unlocked one Prestige mechanic in gooboo (mining) but I can't wrap my head around it, and everything in the game just feels absurdly slow. I feel like I'm missing something, but damned if I know what.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Randalor posted:

I've unlocked one Prestige mechanic in gooboo (mining) but I can't wrap my head around it, and everything in the game just feels absurdly slow. I feel like I'm missing something, but damned if I know what.

How mining prestige works is that it starts to accumulate slowly, and you'll gain next amount of prestige currency every time you reach a full meter, with max being your highest mining level divided by 10. E.g. you've reached depth of 55m, so maximum mining prestige depth is 5.5m, and you''ll reach max amount of currency at 5m. It slows down the higher it gets, but you also get bigger amount of currency if you wait.

The more I play, the more I feel like prestiges do practically nothing to change or enhance the gameplay loop. Maybe it's the pacing of the game, and it's obviously new, but now it's just 4 bad idlers in one to me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
NGU: I'd completely forgotten how tedious farming the WALDERP sets is- I managed a few No Rebirth challenges to get my Titan spawn time down but goddamn if there isn't a long period where you're just waiting for WALDERP drops. This is also in the part of the game where you get better boost drops from Mega Lands (50's and 100's) than ITOPOD (20's) so it's not like you can just idle in the ITOPOD either. Very awkward bit of the game.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Sayara posted:

How mining prestige works is that it starts to accumulate slowly, and you'll gain next amount of prestige currency every time you reach a full meter, with max being your highest mining level divided by 10. E.g. you've reached depth of 55m, so maximum mining prestige depth is 5.5m, and you''ll reach max amount of currency at 5m. It slows down the higher it gets, but you also get bigger amount of currency if you wait.

The more I play, the more I feel like prestiges do practically nothing to change or enhance the gameplay loop. Maybe it's the pacing of the game, and it's obviously new, but now it's just 4 bad idlers in one to me.

The Depth Dweller accumulates quickly but slows down over time, but its speed is based on your current maximum depth (boosted by upgrades), so diving deeper makes it go faster since it is going faster when you're 25% of the way compared to 50%. It also gives you bonus prestige currency every half meter, not just full meter.

quote:

They definitely feel like incremental improvements most of the time, especially in the Horde mode. I actually appreciate the more 'set and forget' style of it with slight adjustments when you tab back to it, compared to Evolve/Trimps/Theresmore which are absolutely frantic. Those three I ended up sucking all the fun out of with automation scripts that played the game for me.

Ultimately, once you know what all the unlocks are, the idle game is basically done for most people. It's not a bad idea to just export a save and come back later, rather than endlessly grinding the endgame. With how each mode seems to be giving you 'permanent' upgrades the further along in achievements you are, it's reducing the early game to get you to your current point quicker every time, but the pacing is all over the place. Horde mode is the worst about this I feel. Due to souls luck, I did a prestige that wasn't enough for the main time-reducing upgrades (Ash Circle and Decimate). So at a certain point it feels like I can't make a Horde run get any more value so I'm sorta forced to just prestige for the same amount I did last time, or less... but all the upgrades cost way more. At least I know Horde is undergoing a major rework so we'll see.

The green gems for cards also compete with another mechanic you get later that also costs green gems a pop... and I barely get enough gems to support slotting in cards every run.

It's inefficient but I just let runs go much longer just so the upgrades are more impactful and I'll have some extra stuff like the cards and school upgrades. If you just go for fast runs I can see how you would burn out or feel that the upgrades are not meaningful.

Also, it's a new game, it took years for Evolve to reach its current depth.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 11, 2023

Sayara
May 10, 2009

dipwood posted:

They definitely feel like incremental improvements most of the time, especially in the Horde mode. I actually appreciate the more 'set and forget' style of it with slight adjustments when you tab back to it, compared to Evolve/Trimps/Theresmore which are absolutely frantic. Those three I ended up sucking all the fun out of with automation scripts that played the game for me.

Theresmore had a similar feel to it. If you had done one prestige, you had seen it all. It's not like things have to be complex either to be exciting for my lizard brain, I've liked shark game and cell to singularity and those have probably less mechanical complexity than Evolve/Trimps/Theresmore which I found all quite off-putting. They're just not the idlers for me and that's fine.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sayara posted:

Yeahhh I am starting to get that feeling about "why the hell am I doing this?" which is the death of any idle game.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I feel pretty far along (level 222), and interesting things are still getting unlocked, so that's keeping me engaged.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i think my biggest issue with it is that prestiging is incredibly boring

now i'm 10% more powerful, exciting stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
That's about where I landed on it. I'll definitely come back in like 3 months and see where it's at though