Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought slims were supposed to be cheaper like how the PS3 and PS4 dropped to $299. Seems like a weird move to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They are cheaper

To manufacture

Probably

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The PS5 is currently $20 more expensive than it was when I bought it at launch. On the other hand, my groceries are like 30-40% more expensive (and certain things are 100% more expensive) than they were back then so I guess it could be much worse.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They are cheaper

To manufacture

Probably

At the very least they've reduced it to one SKU and an attachment Blu-ray drive. It's just you can get it pre-installed for cheaper. That probably simplifies manufacturing significantly.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

hatty posted:

I thought slims were supposed to be cheaper like how the PS3 and PS4 dropped to $299. Seems like a weird move to me
that's the weird thing about it and probably why they're not naming it the "slim" despite how coy they are in the marketing: people would be pissed at a slim with no slashed price. they're gamers, so they're pissed regardless, of course

it's just revision that unifies the two sku's to simplify inventory and reduces size and shape to optimize shipping and storage. the boxes will probably be significantly smaller, too

not bad per se, but i don't see how they'll do an actual slim beyond this since it'll complicate the swappable optical drive - unless we ironically end up getting multiple sku's for the optical drive

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Make it like the sega cd.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is the drive compatible with old digital-onlys?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Rinkles posted:

probably not, it looks like the revision has hardware specifically to support it. if you have a digital only and want to upgrade though i imagine gamestop at the very least is gonna be doing some trade in promos

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I gotta keep my PS5Fat so I can heat my house in the winter.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

univbee posted:

https://x.com/PlayStation/status/1711773977129923048?s=20

tl;dr

This will be the only model made once current fatty supply sells out.

- Internal storage is now 1tb instead of 825gb
- Digital edition is $50us more expensive than it is currently, optical edition still same price
- Digital edition can be upgraded to get the optical drive, it's an $80us separate purchase if you go this route
- Vertical stand is sold separately for $30us, but seems to have a built-in "kickstand" type thing for horizontal orientation

is it just me or does the disc version look like a guy holding open a trenchcoat?

pssst... wanna see some optical drives

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Wrex Ruckus posted:

is it just me or does the disc version look like a guy holding open a trenchcoat?

they're definitely making a mistake by not bundling it with resident evil 4 remake

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

No, the new digital has a connection port set up for it and the old digital doesn't

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Cant wait for the hombrew disc emulator attachment that can spoof game licenses

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

haveblue posted:

No, the new digital has a connection port set up for it and the old digital doesn't

lol. Getting flashes of old posts.... Memory chip going :smuggo:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

hatty posted:

They didn't call it a slim. They called it a new look.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Hmm just noticed new ps5 has two usbs on the front, mfers

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Hmm just noticed new ps5 has two usbs on the front, mfers

Oh dang, I checked the spec sheet and those are both USB-C ports, the A's are on the back only.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hatty posted:

Cant wait for the hombrew disc emulator attachment that can spoof game licenses

May have to trade in for this. I love stealing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How’d they make the PS5 uglier

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

hatty posted:

In this economy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't enjoy driving nearly enough to drive a manual. Saying manual is better is like telling me a toilet will flush harder if I tweak the handle constantly the whole time I'm making GBS threads.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What about that one time you could really have used a more effective flush

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
my daily driver is an automatic camry with lane assist and adaptive cruise control so i can text as much as i want

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

univbee posted:

https://x.com/PlayStation/status/1711773977129923048?s=20

tl;dr

This will be the only model made once current fatty supply sells out.

- Internal storage is now 1tb instead of 825gb
- Digital edition is $50us more expensive than it is currently, optical edition still same price
- Digital edition can be upgraded to get the optical drive, it's an $80us separate purchase if you go this route
- Vertical stand is sold separately for $30us, but seems to have a built-in "kickstand" type thing for horizontal orientation

This owns, they chose a great way to merge the SKUs and reduce costs while not splitting the market. It looks funny as poo poo but I'm so glad they are still enthusiastically pushing optical. Really clever design.

ON TWO DISCS!

Vintersorg posted:

I'm the ministand needed now when displaying it on it's side.

incredible lmfao

Wrex Ruckus posted:

cannot unsee this image now

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wanna see one next to a regular one

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I wanna see one next to a regular one

less of a popped collar = fail

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Volte posted:

Is there any kind of actual reason for preferring manual other than "kids these days :argh:" stubbornness? It seems objectively more dangerous to have to perform additional coordinated maneuvers while on the road and I mainly just remember my dad's car occasionally stalling at traffic lights.

tbh, as an American who learned manual immediately after getting my license on an automatic, manuals are objectively less dangerous than automatics. At scale, they create a driving paradigm where just about everyone on the road has better control over and communication with the vehicle and its momentum at every stage of the driving process, and if you know how much Americans like to -do anything else- while loving around in a multi-ton vehicle you start to understand why insurance rates are so high here and why traffic fatalities are literally 50% higher, people are simply not paying much attention while power-tripping at speed with far less engagement in the processes of controlling the vehicle. Driving stick creates a paradigm where drivers are just innately paying more attention.

I drive an automatic anymore because standard transmissions are hard to track down here, and it is nice to not have to shift in a lot of situations, but even as someone who doesn't use a smartphone or navigation at all I can directly compare how much less attention I'm actually paying to the process of driving compared to when I drove stick, it's loving crazy. Magnify that over a culture of urban drivers way worse than myself and you have roadways here that are...extremely unpredictable. I sometimes miss driving stick because it is pretty fun, but mostly I've accepted being lazy in the car I have which is indeed very a comfy experience. Automatics have come a long way in the last 50 years and they perform quite well now, but we are worse off for depending on them.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought the US weird money thing was not having debit cards/contactless payments/chip & pin authorisation.

many cards are moving away from chip/pin to tap now but adoption has been slow and we're about a decade behind the rest of the world (my bank only universalized tap on all cards issued about 6 months ago), there is no standard in the states, which means cards ship with a chip, tap, and swipe function because some places still only have mag swipe despite regulations against it. it's loving wild west out here lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
People who junk their perfectly fine ps5's to replace it with one that looks slightly better and is slightly smaller are very funny to me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Where’s the slightly better looking PS5

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao fat gurl with the lump aint goin nowhere goon, she is the superior piss

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If the new PS5 design eliminates coil whine I may look into trading mine in and swapping tbh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What about that one time you could really have used a more effective flush

Yeah...That "one" time...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO

wtf lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the disk drive is 80$ and the discless is only 50$ worth of difference. Literally why does the discless variant exist

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Of the upcoming games I have only just learned about in the last five minutes, I am torn between which title I find more incredible: "UFO Robot Grendizer: The Feast of the Wolves" or "Pac Man Mega Tunnel Battle: Chomp Champs."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We have contactless payment in the US, the thing we don't have is like, servers who bring the device to the table and allow each person to tap for their thing so any large group splitting the bill is a hassle and why the cashapps are big

Edit: oh important news happened since that discussion lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goblin week posted:

the disk drive is 80$ and the discless is only 50$ worth of difference. Literally why does the discless variant exist

For people who don’t have an extra $50 now but still want a PS5 and might have an extra $80 in the future

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I say just wait a tiny bit longer to afford the $50 if you are entering the idea of buying a PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

goblin week posted:

shipping costs at scale post-covid, and the tacit acknowledgement that while physical media isn't dead it is now a boutique item that will be more often sold direct to consumer through the internet (similar to boutique blu ray, number of released titles per year keeps going up while total sales and margin go down a bit, all direct to consumer)...because brick and mortar gaming retail is on life support. i imagine the 65/35-disc/digi equation of PS5s sold since launch will flip completely for the new model and 70% of PS5s sold over the next 3 years will be new digital models, with retailers not really wanting to stock many of the external drives but Sony making them available direct.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 10, 2023