Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm late but I just wanted to say thanks for running the fantasy league, Kenning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Khizan posted:

I'm skeptical of Chris Sumo's takes on a lot of things, but his take on this was that this came down because all the recent prodigies have gone to the stables like Miyagino(Kiho and Hakuoho) and Nishonoseki(Onosato), and that the grumpy old men of sumo made this change so that younger and more modern oyakata like Hakuho and Kisenosato aren't as able to recruit a promising candidate and have them immediately body their way into juryo within a year.

This one actually feels reasonably likely to me, honestly.

It's not THAT extreme a change, they can still make it to Juryo in just three basho at a Hokuoho/Onosato level. Rusty Asanoyama, Recovering Terunofuji, and Ura Ura all did on their returns. My dart throw/guess is they want guys inside the sumo world and all that entails longer before they get the rights and financial freedom of making Juryo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

I'm skeptical of Chris Sumo's takes on a lot of things, but his take on this was that this came down because all the recent prodigies have gone to the stables like Miyagino(Kiho and Hakuoho) and Nishonoseki(Onosato), and that the grumpy old men of sumo made this change so that younger and more modern oyakata like Hakuho and Kisenosato aren't as able to recruit a promising candidate and have them immediately body their way into juryo within a year.

This one actually feels reasonably likely to me, honestly.

I don't know about that. Kids are going to wind up with Kisenosato, Hakuho and to a lesser extent guys like Goeido because those guys are cool and their heroes.

Unless the goal is for guys like Onosaro to not join sumo at all, removing the MS10/15 should just incentivize people to join at an earlier age. If a kid is serious about sumo, they might want to join after high school and use those years to build up their rank rather than go to uni and start later now. With the Ms15 goal, they could get the uni education and wind up not too far back.

And if they are joining earlier, a dumb 18 year old kid is much more likely to make an emotional decision to join their favourite guy's stable rather than make an informed decision to choose the best stable.

So let's say Hakuoho last year decided that he might as well start in Jokunochi instead of going the corpo route for a year. He's just going to wind up in Miyagino anyways and be at the exact same spot except maybe even better with a full year of coaching.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's not THAT extreme a change, they can still make it to Juryo in just three basho at a Hokuoho/Onosato level. Rusty Asanoyama, Recovering Terunofuji, and Ura Ura all did on their returns. My dart throw/guess is they want guys inside the sumo world and all that entails longer before they get the rights and financial freedom of making Juryo.

This is my feeling about it as well. Sumo kind of depends on a healthy ecosystem of non-salaried guys or else it falls apart. Making sure that guys who go into sumo as soon as they can aren't getting cut in line by the ama-sumo guys by too much makes sense. If you thought you had a good chance to make makuuchi, why live as a junior in a heya for three years when you could just go to college and skate into your pro-sumo career close to the top? You want people to think that joining sumo from the bottom is still a fair and equitable way to do it, especially since upper makushita is probably the most high-stakes zone on the banzuke.

If everybody just did ama-sumo instead and then opted out as soon as they realized they weren't top division material, we'd lose a lot. I think this way of understanding the change matches the justification for the removal of the weight/height minimums. They are trying to make sure joining sumo the old-fashioned way still seems fair and viable, rather than specifically being salty about Hakuho and Kisenosato recruiting aggressively (they can only be pleased by that).

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

John Gunning ageees, and goes more into the changes including adding some 4th division fast-passes.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/10/04/sumo/new-tsukedashi-rules/

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1709311937723408697
If Asanoyama is supposed to be at the head of the line, homeboy needs to start posting double digit wins. I still think YDC will give the rope to Taco Queso if he's healthy and fights well next month.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 4, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hakuoho will be the Japanese yokozuna we deserve

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202310020000940.html
The important part:

quote:

Is Atamifuji, who served as a dewwasher, a candidate for the nickname "Kakukai no Pudding"?

In addition, the two dohyo-iris on this day were both followed by his retirement from sumo two days earlier, and Maegashira Atamifuji served as the dewwasher (Midorifuji was the one holding the sword). At the Autumn Tournament, he cheered on his younger pupil, who had competed for the championship until Senshu Raku, by saying, "I'm sure there's a lot of tension, but I want him to experience those things and grow more and more.'' He then asked the press, "Please give Atami Fuji a nickname.'' When a candidate was suggested, "Kakukai Pudding,'' referring to the famous "Atami Pudding'' from Atami City, Shizuoka, he happily said, "That's great! Okay, it's 'Kakukai Pudding'.'' Did Atamifuji, who was near the preparation room, see Terunofuji happy and accept his new nickname? "I want to appear in a commercial," he said with a smile. Perhaps healed by his unique smile, Terunofuji was smiling again.
Atami Pudding. :3:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Poor Nishonoseki is living in the past, he should be talking up his own guys instead of someone from a rival ichimon. Asanoyama will never even get back to Ozeki.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Brut posted:

Poor Nishonoseki is living in the past, he should be talking up his own guys instead of someone from a rival ichimon. Asanoyama will never even get back to Ozeki.

I think he will. I'm much less optimistic about him making Yokozuna though. Time is not on his side.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

I assume he was just going for a cheap pop by talking up Asanoyama in his hometown.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

pseudodragon posted:

I assume he was just going for a cheap pop by talking up Asanoyama in his hometown.

Oh hahaha, okay fine, that makes more sense.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Asanoyama did pretty well considering he was still on the mend from a toe injury. At any rate, if he can avoid major injuries I think he is at least a match for Hoshoryu and Kirishima.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1710052502081573074

Here's a more detailed explanation for why the new Tsukedashi system might actually result in more recruits coming in through it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Japan Times had an article about it as well and, yeah, now that the full details are out it makes a lot more sense. Opening it up like they are is gonna help get some younger blood in.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

So it's basically the super prospects who were always going to join anyways like Hakuoho and Onosato get a slight drop which maybe slows them down 2-4 months.

And then the guys in the 6-16 range that were pretty good but not competing for championships get a chance to skip the bottom ranks. That seems like a good deal since I could see a couple of those guys who were on the fence deciding to give it shot if they can start at Ms.

And the high schoolers getting a TD berth might convince the next Onosato to start at 17/18 rather than 22/23.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My wife got a new library book for me to read to our baby and it's sumo themed!

I asked her to get me this one so we have our own copy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My wife got a new library book for me to read to our baby and it's sumo themed!

I asked her to get me this one so we have our own copy.

That's rad! Haven't heard of that one.

Also did a double take looking at the author name there, as the author of Sumo Kitty and Sumo Puppy is David Biedrzycki, but that's a completely different person. (Those are both Polish last names, I think)

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 8, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1710825512946499699

Not quite what we're used to seeing in Ozumo, but still pretty fun!

There's archives of livestreams from 2018, 2019 and this year here:

https://www.youtube.com/@sumo5931/streams

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Brut posted:

This rules, thanks for the links!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Here's our friend Orora with with a sumo goat update

https://twitter.com/satoshi551/status/1711008330146078974

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brut posted:

https://twitter.com/SarahLovesSumo/status/1710825512946499699

Loving these different forms and techniques! Almost wish there was this much variation in the bashos!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
How often do rikishi get their height/weight updated? I'm doing a bit of data-crunching across sports right now and I'm noticing that my source (sumodb)rarely shows a change in weight. Shodai for example only has a single weight change in his Makuuchi run, enters at 150 kg in Hatsu 2016, and then is listed at 170 kg starting in Haru 2021.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Iron Chef Nex posted:

How often do rikishi get their height/weight updated? I'm doing a bit of data-crunching across sports right now and I'm noticing that my source (sumodb)rarely shows a change in weight. Shodai for example only has a single weight change in his Makuuchi run, enters at 150 kg in Hatsu 2016, and then is listed at 170 kg starting in Haru 2021.

I think at least once a year but also whenever they have medical checkups (which might be more frequent? not sure), but I don't think sumodb pulls that data automatically, but rather requires manual update.

For example Shodai is currently listed at 160kg, on June 2nd he was listed as 161kg, on March 19th he was listed as 160kg, on January 26th he was listed as 163kg, on September 12th 2022 he was listed as 162kg, etc. (Specific dates just because those were the snapshots available on wayback machine)

Point is that SumoDB is not a reilable source for height/weight information, unfortunately.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Brut posted:

I think at least once a year but also whenever they have medical checkups (which might be more frequent? not sure), but I don't think sumodb pulls that data automatically, but rather requires manual update.

For example Shodai is currently listed at 160kg, on June 2nd he was listed as 161kg, on March 19th he was listed as 160kg, on January 26th he was listed as 163kg, on September 12th 2022 he was listed as 162kg, etc. (Specific dates just because those were the snapshots available on wayback machine)

Point is that SumoDB is not a reilable source for height/weight information, unfortunately.

Thanks for the quick answer!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Iron Chef Nex posted:

I think they actually measure in between all basho, but they don't update sumodb. Maybe the nsk site profiles update more regularly?

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

They have Shodai at 160 now and just randomly looking, they have Hokuseiho at 181 instead of the 164 sumodb has from 2021 which seems reasonable for a 19 year old bulking up. And even though he's only been here less than a year, it looks like Hakuoho has grown a couple cms and kgs.

I don't see historical data though so it might just be a go forward thing unless you can find the data. I've seen threads on sumoforum talking about height/weight changes but that would require manually searching the threads and pulling from the text.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
https://twitter.com/IhPU9XwkBJ6TiEW/status/1713114476936114250

Woah, makuuchi shokkiri?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It really felt like that kind of a fight. The telegraphed haymakers, the forklifting. Betcha Ura and Tamawashi grabbed lunch afterwards and used the kensho to pay.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lol

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/10/16/sumo-wrestlers-too-heavy-for-airplanes/

JAL had to spread Rikishi travelling to the exhibition events over multiple flights due to weight issues.

Exhibition fights being like that are kind of expected. There was the Hak/Enho fight awhile back at one of these events where Hak did the big brother hand to the forehead push.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

While we count down the days to the November Banzuke, enjoy this advert for the rental apartments above Oshiogawa-beya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0MlaRLC-LM

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/Hakkeyoi_Sumo/status/1716778902083846364
Kokonoe is the former Chiyotaikai. Remains to be seen if this is a case of sempai/kohai abuse, sponsor pressures, or just the guy sneaking out to pound brews with the boys.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Apparently they'd already removed unsupervised minors from the Jungyo tour, but the rule allowed minors whose oyakata was on the tour (as was happening in this case) because their stablemaster would be there. Guess it didn't do much good!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hello friends! i am venturing out of my comfort zone of the video games forum to join in on the sumo fun!!

i never knew or watched a single thing about sumo until randomly catching a few videos out of the algorithm back in July, and was able to find a live stream of the basho on youtube around day 12 or 13. i had very little idea what was going on, but the streamer had some pretty decent commentary and i dug in to the wiki page and other videos learning about sumo. i was hooked! even just leaving the stream on in the background during the lower divisions is a great vibe, listening to the yobidashi singing and flipping over to it when the gyoji starts yelling.

now after that basho and watching all of the september basho (and ruining my sleep schedule) i am a huge fan. my favorite rikishi is Hokutofuji!! stomp stomp!!! but i'm a big fan of Hoshoryu, Takayasu, Tobizaru, Atamifuji and can't wait for Hakuoho to be back.

and let us not forget!

IT'S NAOYA OR NEVER

IT'S TIME TO GET THIS SHODE ON THE ROAD

IT'S SHODIN' TIME

SHOOOOOOODAAAAAIIII

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

IT'S NAOYA OR NEVER

IT'S TIME TO GET THIS SHODE ON THE ROAD

IT'S SHODIN' TIME

SHOOOOOOODAAAAAIIII

Welcome to Meatland.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kerrzhe posted:

now after that basho and watching all of the september basho (and ruining my sleep schedule) i am a huge fan. my favorite rikishi is Hokutofuji!! stomp stomp!!! but i'm a big fan of Hoshoryu, Takayasu, Tobizaru, Atamifuji and can't wait for Hakuoho to be back.

This person gets it. Stomp stomp indeed, friend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welcome, friend! Enjoy your stay, and...

... we keep the alcohol on the top shelf -- It's best you know ahead of time where to drown your sorrows :D

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bentai posted:

Kokonoe is the former Chiyotaikai. Remains to be seen if this is a case of sempai/kohai abuse, sponsor pressures, or just the guy sneaking out to pound brews with the boys.

I would be extremely surprised if there weren't a bunch of the older guys dragging him out. The only thing I'm wondering is if it was "just" standard peer pressure/kid wanting to fit in and not knowing his limits or straight up frat house style hazing/forced binge drinking.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnSumoDataRikishi/profile/4068/
It’s believed the wrestler was Chiyoshishi, and according to a yahoo Japan article that I’m still trying to find, his name has been removed from the Kokonoe list of wrestlers.

So I assume he’s been not just suspended but shitcanned.

https://x.com/sumofollower/status/1716879381476618669

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 25, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Apparently Terunofuji has been doing practice bouts on the tour, so it seems like we'll have a full boat for November unless something bad happens.

Bummer for me that he'll probably retire before I make it back to Japan for another tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202310250001383.html
Deepl Translation:

quote:

Under-20 rikishi who had been drinking, cut his mage in shock at the words of the Kokonoe Oyakata.

New information has come to light regarding the case of a sumo wrestler under the age of 20 who drank alcohol and was suspended from the Japan Sumo Association along with his stablemaster, Kokonoe Oyakata (47, former ozeki Chiyotaikai). A source close to the rikishi in question revealed the new information on October 25.

On the evening of the 14th, during the fall tour, the rikishi went out to eat at a restaurant in Nagoya City with his adult stablemates below the makushita rank and an acquaintance who frequents the Kokonoe stable. The acquaintance, who was a close friend of the restaurant, offered him sake, but he refused because he was under 20 years of age, and his stablemates also stopped him. However, the acquaintances, including the owner of the restaurant, strongly advised him to drink, and he did so.

Later, when it was past midnight, the curfew of the hotel where they were staying, they changed restaurants and continued drinking. When they got out of the cab, the brother called an ambulance and was taken to the hospital.

When they woke up at the hospital, they were scolded by Kokonoe Oyakata, but they moved on without leaving the tour, and participated in a tour in Tajimi City, Gifu Prefecture, on January 17. He was positively encouraged by the head of the Kasugano tour (former Sekiwake Tochinowaka), but was later recalled to Tokyo with his stablemaster and stablemates, where he was questioned by the Japan Sumo Association on the 19th. At this point, he was not informed of any disciplinary action, and when confronted, Chancellor Hakkaku (former yokozuna Kitakatsumi) encouraged him to "do his best from now on."

However, when he was questioned by the Kokonoe stablemaster about the situation, he was shocked by the heart-breaking words he was told. When he returned to the Kokonoe stable, people around him would not listen to him, and during a practice session, the stablemaster told him to stay in a push-up position for at least 30 minutes. He was told by his master that he would be grounded for one year. He felt abandoned, and his heart was broken.

On the 21st, he left his room and returned to his parents' house; on the 22nd, he had his mage cut at a local barbershop; on the 23rd, his belongings were sent home from his room. Without informing him, the association announced on the 24th that he would be suspended.

A source close to him said, "He is a master, so he should not have said such a thing, even in jest. He had intended to join the association after graduating from high school, but Kokonoe Oyakata invited him, saying, 'I must,' so he graduated from junior high school and became a rikishi. Now I am in shock and feel betrayed. To be ignored by everyone in the stable is blatant bullying. I don't want to return to that stablemaster. I am disillusioned."

On the other hand, one master said, "I drank sake, even though it was recommended to me. After causing trouble for the master and the association, it is not right to complain about the master's handling of the situation."

Chiyoshishi got pressured and then thrown under the bus. What an absolute poo poo situation.