Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you are being very unfair to the Koolaid Man who, as far as I know, has never killed anyone

he has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

you are being very unfair to the Koolaid Man who, as far as I know, has never killed anyone

Koolaid, famously not associated with mass suicide

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BonHair posted:

whats hosed up is that the jonestown suicide people drank flavor-aid

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BonHair posted:

lobster shirt posted:

once again, vicious misinformation about the koolaid man has been correct and the record shows he had NOTHING to do with those deaths

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

once again, vicious misinformation about the koolaid man has been correct and the record shows he had NOTHING to do with those deaths

well he didn't stop them either did he?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
at worst, we can only blame him for not bursting into Jonestown and offering them some delicious Kool-Aid to replace their nasty poisoned Flavor-Aid, as might happen in a jonestown themed kool-aid commercial

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Truga posted:

most car passenger deaths are caused by head injury, yet you're not mandating all car people wearing helmets, curious

Does car brain count as a head injury?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
the Flav-R-Aide has blood on their hands

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

WELL ACTUALLY I think you'll FIND that they had a MIX of flavor-aid AND Kool aid drinks because they couldn't get enough of JUST ONE BRAND. THANKYOU.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

nascar style helmets, safety restraints etc should be standard issue on all cars and mandatory to use

I've thought about this before it would actually be really effective if implemented

you'd have to redesign dashboards and a lot of the interior of cars tho since you can't reach dash, rearview etc. when you're in a harness, nor can you turn your head very much

the biggest problem in the way tho is the stuff that works for racing safety gear generally negates the usefulness of roadcar safety equipment & vice versa ( airbag+helmet is really bad, helmet+no hans is really bad, rollcage+no helmet is extremely bad, etc)
that's why you don't see racing safety stuff crossing over to road cars even tho a full cage+5pt+helmet+hans device makes you way safer in a crash than a 3pt harness and airbags are capable of doing

Truga posted:

most car passenger deaths are caused by head injury, yet you're not mandating all car people wearing helmets, curious

helmet without head/neck safety device in a car makes it much easier to have a basilar skull fracture bc of the extra weight yanking on your neck during a collison, it basically decapitates you without cutting the external skin

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Oct 10, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mauser posted:

no we need to make driving a car much more obviously dangerous like have sharp bits about eye level where if you brake too hard you get cut. people don't have a sense of the danger so you gotta spice up the vehicle a bit to make it seem more dangerous

this was pretty much the mindset for manuf's in the 50s & 60s
a lot of manufacturers were resistant to seatbelts in their cars and argued they encouraged reckless driving or made their products appear less safe, "who'd want seatbelts unless they were planning on crashing?" kinda logic

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good thing the driver always has 100% control over what happens on the road

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

You don’t collapse that many brick walls without killing a few kids.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7Tq6sRxE4

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Another solution would be equipping cars with devices that limited their speed and acceleration to something safe

consider the following: cars wouldn't speed if they had no way to limit their speed or acceleration at all. no brakes? no cars going over 15 mph. problem solved.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
more cars with those parachute things they can deploy, imo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Still thinking about how easy it would be to implement GPS based speed caps on cars.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BonHair posted:

Still thinking about how easy it would be to implement GPS based speed caps on cars.

volvos gonna cap all their cars to 180kmh or so by 2025 i think

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FirstnameLastname posted:

volvos gonna cap all their cars to 180kmh or so by 2025 i think

make it 18 and I’ll be good

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

BonHair posted:

Any self driving car system would have to have a robust system for knowing what the speed limit is at any given time, actually that's probably one of the easiest things a self driving car has to do, way easier than steering around things and not running over people. So if you think about it that way an automatic system for speed limiting cars based on the legal limit would be a significantly faster and easier thing to do than full self driving, weird how nobody seems to care about that enough to put any effort into it though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang maybe there’s something to electric vehicle conversions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTLzlBWLxCw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
bicycles r the best ev conversion
cars aren't tho, need to make it that from the start

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

yeah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Dang maybe there’s something to electric vehicle conversions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTLzlBWLxCw

sick

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
people would drive safer if there was an ai-controlled handgun pointing into their chests from the steering wheel, fired by the AI if it detected they had run over a vulnerable road user or crashed into a building

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BonHair posted:

Yeah and the crosswalk button activates the brakes of nearby cars

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Greg12 posted:

people would drive safer if there was an ai-controlled handgun pointing into their chests from the steering wheel, fired by the AI if it detected they had run over a vulnerable road user or crashed into a building

This, but the AI is made in a rush so running over a curb triggers it. Also wearing a suit and tie.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As autumn envelopes us, I am once again asking that the thread be updated to "I hate cars and leaf blowers"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what if you had a go pro on rigid pole kinda thing and you wore immersive video gogz and had like an overhead chase cam while driving?

i feel like it could be a game changer

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BonHair posted:

It would be, but sadly GPS is really really easy to jam, you can buy a $10 part that would do it, and there's plenty of lunatics who would do just that. Not that we shouldn't do it, but we should do that and implement speedometer based speed caps too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Greg12 posted:

a good driver is hard to find

PittTheElder posted:

It would be, but sadly GPS is really really easy to jam, you can buy a $10 part that would do it, and there's plenty of lunatics who would do just that. Not that we shouldn't do it, but we should do that and implement speedometer based speed caps too.
just have the death penalty for people who intentionally tamper with the gps speed governor

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

You seem to imply that jamming should disable the limitation instead of just stopping the car or defaulting to 20kph.
But yeah, also speedometer based.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

what compels people parked on the street to lean on horns for minutes at a time

why

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

Fitzy Fitz posted:

As autumn envelopes us, I am once again asking that the thread be updated to "I hate cars and leaf blowers"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

just noticed that i misspelled envelop. sorry, everyone

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Greg12 posted:

they did that people didn't like it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takata_Corporation#Airbag

July 2014, a pregnant Malaysian woman was killed in a collision involving her 2003 Honda City which contained the defective airbag. The woman, aged 42, died when a metal fragment from a ruptured driver's airbag sliced into her neck in the accident in which she was driving at around 30 km/h (18 mph) when another vehicle hit her at a junction, according to a lawsuit filed by her father at a Miami federal court.

As of May 19, 2015, Takata is now responsible for the largest auto recall in history. Takata has already recalled 40 million vehicles across 12 vehicle brands for "Airbags that could explode and potentially send shrapnel into the face and body of both the driver and front seat passenger".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It’s frankly astonishing that the gas generators in airbags don’t come with an expiration date.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evil_bunnY posted:

It’s frankly astonishing that the gas generators in airbags don’t come with an expiration date.

I fully agree, but the average car on the road is 12.5 years old and increasing. It would make people face an uncomfortable truth if the safety systems in cars expired at 10 or even 15 years old.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I fully agree, but the average car on the road is 12.5 years old and increasing. It would make people face an uncomfortable truth if the safety systems in cars expired at 10 or even 15 years old.
No doubt, but pulling out the airbag beats getting firing-squaded by your own steering wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i just wanna say i like the timer on this thread. it reminds me to practice the kind of patience that drivers so often lack.