Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Rusty does deserve some credit, because even though he’s a terrible father and a lovely person, he’s infinitely better on both accounts than Jonas Sr. ever was and actually improved some! And his “Team Venture” is infinitely less psychotic than the original.
I think the biggest difference is that Rusty actually wants to be a good person, deep down, he just has no idea what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

The VBism I use most often in daily life is "are these they?"
Who talks like that?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm sure Jonas had blackmail on everyone because he's Jonas but I don't see much of a reason why he needs it for Team Venture proper. I think the only time they show them disagreeing with Jonas is when he made Venturion.

Hell, Action Man openly admits to loving anything with tits and Colonel Gentleman admits to loving anything. They also show the Action Man being completely unhinged when fighting and Gentleman is barely more controlled so what blackmail could you even have on them?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

I'm sure Jonas had blackmail on everyone because he's Jonas but I don't see much of a reason why he needs it for Team Venture proper. I think the only time they show them disagreeing with Jonas is when he made Venturion.

Well, how else do you think he gained their unquestioning loyalty? Blackmail all the way down.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I also owe this series for getting me into Yaz and Crash Test Dummies.
Dummies especially have a wonderful collection of music that is underappreciated relative to their one hit wonder status

and Yaz is seemingly having a bit of a renaissance lately, I hear them in a lot of commercials/tv shows

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Well, how else do you think he gained their unquestioning loyalty? Blackmail all the way down.

I figured it was showing them they can exist as basically gods that face no consequences regardless of their behavior while the entire world celebrates them.

Basically any problem you have Jonas can science away so you can continue living the good life. That probably instills a strong sense of loyalty.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just rewatched Operation: PROM last night, and I think out of the entire show I miss Gary the most. Him breaking down in Orpheus’ arms when he realizes Orpheus can’t see 24 was rough.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I also owe this series for getting me into Yaz and Crash Test Dummies.
Dummies especially have a wonderful collection of music that is underappreciated relative to their one hit wonder status

and Yaz is seemingly having a bit of a renaissance lately, I hear them in a lot of commercials/tv shows

For a second I thought you said Yes and I got excited since I did a ton of drugs and listened to a lot of Yes in college. And no, I'm not that old, I just went to a hippie college.

It was an awesome moment when he brought out his crate of prog rock vinyl for Dean. I had such a smile on my face.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pnumoman posted:

For a second I thought you said Yes and I got excited since I did a ton of drugs and listened to a lot of Yes in college. And no, I'm not that old, I just went to a hippie college.

It was an awesome moment when he brought out his crate of prog rock vinyl for Dean. I had such a smile on my face.

Yes and Bowie were firmly in my repertoire before venture but I did love all the references and trying to figure out which songs were being referenced in that episode (machine messiah for sure for that sequence)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Rusty does deserve some credit, because even though he’s a terrible father and a lovely person, he’s infinitely better on both accounts than Jonas Sr. ever was and actually improved some! And his “Team Venture” is infinitely less psychotic than the original.
I think the biggest difference is that Rusty actually wants to be a good person, deep down, he just has no idea what that means.

Rusty is the least worst dad

Orpheus is the best :3:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Yes and Bowie were firmly in my repertoire before venture but I did love all the references and trying to figure out which songs were being referenced in that episode (machine messiah for sure for that sequence)

Yeah, the show's many music references are kinda intimidating just in terms of sheer volume but really fun to explore.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, the show's many music references are kinda intimidating just in terms of sheer volume but really fun to explore.

If you were a goth/larp nerd in the late 1990s, the music and discussion of music on the show is as hilarious and clever as its comic book references. It's like the people you partied with in college went off to make a show. I loved it for that - the show itself was such a love-letter to things I loved.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just remembered doc's "Ladysmith Black Mambazo!" exclamation

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Just remembered doc's "Ladysmith Black Mambazo!" exclamation

Jesus JONES

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We all thought they was going to be the future of rock and roll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Sounds great! Are they still around?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Happy Landfill posted:

Rusty is the least worst dad

Orpheus is the best :3:

Orpheus's daughter was irrationally terrified of the closet her entire life because it was the secret gateway to The Master's lair, and when she confronted him about it he cast a sleep spell on her.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't even see a pudding cup without thinking "you may enjoy the contents of one of them."

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Phenotype posted:

Orpheus's daughter was irrationally terrified of the closet her entire life because it was the secret gateway to The Master's lair, and when she confronted him about it he cast a sleep spell on her.

Look, im just saying the bar is like, at ground level here

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Don't forget wiping her memory a bunch!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The remote has vanished from the material sphere!

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I made pizza rolls!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

That's the core of it, along with the rest of his approach to life. He imprinted on utterly horrible role models and still isn't able to understand why their approach doesn't work. And his attitude is hardly an outlier in the world he lives in. But he lacks the sociopathy or narcissism of his father or many of his peers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I mean, they did a whole episode where he's on the cusp of becoming a supervillain but opts out because while Doc isn't a good person, he doesn't want to be a bad one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, they did a whole episode where he's on the cusp of becoming a supervillain but opts out because while Doc isn't a good person, he doesn't want to be a bad one.

That's often pointed to as a turning point for Rusty, too, that so much of his behaviour is indistinguishable from supervillainy in the first place but he hadn't realised it. The while thing with JJ is probably also illustrative there, and with the implication JJ goes from murderous jealousy of Rusty to dismissive one-upmanship, and then rather implied to be pity when he realises how easily he wildly surpassed his brother, as well as how ridiculous the hero-villain games really are and what it's like to deal with that poo poo literally your entire life. Rusty would rather be bad at being a hero than good at being a villain.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My read of JJ was that he believed Rusty was a great superscientist who has the right "stuff", and he believes that Rusty just keeps getting distracted by the protagonist game. He does give Rusty the deflector shield project after all, and Rusty manages to deliver it despite a lot of insane mishaps (in an honestly fantastic episode).

It's unclear how JJ managed to steer clear of the guild so well. Bribes, I guess? Maybe the Captain dealt with the palm-greasing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Did he ever address Hank's feelings of not being his favorite? What was the end of Hank's story I the movie anyway? Last thing he did I think was watching his dad get pantsed and Monarch yelling and he kinda waved his arms and backed away? I thought they were gong to do a beat where you see him appreciate his "found" family.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's often pointed to as a turning point for Rusty, too, that so much of his behaviour is indistinguishable from supervillainy in the first place but he hadn't realised it. The while thing with JJ is probably also illustrative there, and with the implication JJ goes from murderous jealousy of Rusty to dismissive one-upmanship, and then rather implied to be pity when he realises how easily he wildly surpassed his brother, as well as how ridiculous the hero-villain games really are and what it's like to deal with that poo poo literally your entire life. Rusty would rather be bad at being a hero than good at being a villain.

Man jj only had like a year or less of proper living and being an uncle to the boys before dying. That's harsh as he does seem like a good guy.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

My read of JJ was that he believed Rusty was a great superscientist who has the right "stuff", and he believes that Rusty just keeps getting distracted by the protagonist game. He does give Rusty the deflector shield project after all, and Rusty manages to deliver it despite a lot of insane mishaps (in an honestly fantastic episode).

It's unclear how JJ managed to steer clear of the guild so well. Bribes, I guess? Maybe the Captain dealt with the palm-greasing

I would say Rusty is a competant super scientist since we see him develop a few things on his own that seem to work, or at the very least is able to maintain his dad's old poo poo which can't be easy. He just can't shake off the unending trauma of growing up as Jonas's son and having his poo poo constantly wrecked by costumed assholes.

I also assume JJ has been having costumed assholes gently caress with him too but probably just kills them without a second thought or even realizing they are Guild guys until the Guild just stops sending its members to die. Hell, he might have a security system that is worth a drat so they die before JJ even interacts with them.

Its not like the Guild could do much against what is probably the smartest and richest man in the world who is also hyper competent and beloved. From what we see JJ IS everything Jonas claimed to be without the endless parade of hosed up horrors Jonas kept from the public eye.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I think David Bowie must have been a terrible leader the guild seems to have a better past and the new council seems way more on the ball.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rusty was an amazing super scientists. It's just that all his science was supervillain poo poo.

Clones, zombies, walking eye, orphan-powered joy can...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

LividLiquid posted:

Rusty was an amazing super scientists. It's just that all his science was supervillain poo poo.

Ooo ray, if we are treating the pilot as canon

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LividLiquid posted:

Hell, his ray shield made superhuman mutants who were poised to take over the world.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Orange suit solidarity

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Am I a...bad person, Brock?
What the hell happened here?!
AM I?!
...Ehhhhhh...

The Killenger episode was pretty much Rusty's entire deal laid bare.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Am I a...bad person, Brock?
What the hell happened here?!
AM I?!
...Ehhhhhh...

The Killenger episode was pretty much Rusty's entire deal laid bare.

I have quite an affinity for that scene. To me, that was a point in Rusty's life where we got to see the core differences between him and Jonas.

Jonas absolutely would not have needed Killinger. But let's say he did because the whole HELPeR thing wiped him out. Would he hesitate to take a hard heel turn? I doubt it, especially if money, fame, and hedonism were part of his payment. Rusty was fine with everything based on the sudden success he was witnessing, but once it was made clear to him exactly what he was doing, he had a crisis of conscious that Jonas would never have had.

I think everyone (including me) focuses on the whole "Am I a bad person?" line, and it's a great one. But the important part of the scene is right before that, when the Venchmen leave and Brock asks if Doc is OK.

Brock: Doc, you OK?
Doc: I... I don't know. I... he... he thinks I'm a... Brock, am I a... bad person?

I love the subtle, but perceptible, emphasis on the word "bad." But it's the stammering right before it that adds the emotional punch the scene needs in order to be something besides a standard "Are we the baddies?" joke.

I'm not going to suggest that he cleans up his act and flies straight after that ordeal, but it's a small moment that lets us know that he's not 100% jackass. He doesn't want to be bad, and when it's pointed out to him that he might be, he's shaken.

And in typical VB fashion, there's a last-second punchline to break the tension: "heh heh, you said it, killer. And you can read more about it in the Bible!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ooo ray, if we are treating the pilot as canon

What are you talking about? It's a ray that can melt cities; how can that be used for evil?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Jonas absolutely would not have needed Killinger. But let's say he did because the whole HELPeR thing wiped him out. Would he hesitate to take a hard heel turn? I doubt it, especially if money, fame, and hedonism were part of his payment. Rusty was fine with everything based on the sudden success he was witnessing, but once it was made clear to him exactly what he was doing, he had a crisis of conscious that Jonas would never have had.

The Ventures are a very real and relatable story of family trauma and how healing it is often a generational project. Being good is out of Doc's reach, but he's a lot less lovely than Jonas, and as a result, he's given Dean a chance to be less lovely than either of them.

As for Hank, he'll be fine. That kid's a superstar.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
EDIT thought you said Dean will be a superstar! I'm still worried about that kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Just a random thought, but I decided I like the idea that Scare Bear is Brock's brother. They mentioned he has one a long time ago, but never did anything with that. The early episodes depict Brock as a murderous psychopath who happens to work for the good guys. He had the OSI to train him and focus his rage towards a purpose. What if his brother had the same mental instabilities but no one to help him, so he became a serial killer. Scare Bear has a large frame and a knife "superpower," similar to Brock. Also an inexplicable interest in Hank and Dean's wellbeing. Perhaps because he knows his brother considers them family, so maybe he does as well?