Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

wow

even to me that's a pretty impressive zero to one-hundred 'gently caress you and your health concerns' snap lol

My brother did the same exact thing to me wrt taking our sick old mother on a cruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
https://twitter.com/BiobotAnalytics/status/1710386842254934275

https://publichealth.verily.com/cohort/f4b9b07e-c5d4-48d9-9c0e-32028e97fdfa?v=SC2_N

Looks like California only

:rubby:

e whoops, excuse me a couple of states (not mine lol) https://publichealth.verily.com/?v=SC2_N

Bruce Hussein Daddy has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Oct 10, 2023

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

mahler_biryani posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0856PHMMK

Deal on Coway airmega 200M. I think $129 is good for smoke CADR of 233 and relatively low noise.

On a similar note, Levoit has a bunch of discounts on their stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Levoit/Deal/page/20D7DDF4-A5E9-4BFD-9168-E6743730832B

Any recommendations? I think I’m at 6 purifiers in the house counting a corsi box, but I was considering replacing that with a Levoit once it’s run its course. I definitely have the air purifier version of toxoplasmosis but it’s fine and I think I should buy another purifier about it

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
does anyone have the air purifier GRAPH, you know the one

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What's the current direction to take on mothvax if one already got the updated booster? Wait X weeks? Contraindicated?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Asking for a couple of air purifiers is such a minor thing. It's not a mask requirement, it's not a covid test before entering the venue, it's like one of the easiest, most unobtrusive, passive precautions you can take (and probably not that effective TBH given the size of a venue needed for 200 people).

Most people probably wouldn't even associate the air purifiers with COVID. Just a mind-boggling response.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

I need to vent here.

So my mom is sick - like dying in the next year or two. She went to her local doctor two weeks ago because she was having stomach pains and they did some tests….but nobody called her to tell her she had diverticulitis because the office was closed due to COVID on Friday.

She spiked a fever and a rash last Monday and the ambulance brought her to the local hospital - where she sat in the understaffed emergency room for a few hours before they’re like…you have sepsis we are sending you to the regional lovely hospital.

So she got abdominal sepsis as a result of diverticulitis which could have been avoided if people were more responsible.

Here we are two weeks later.

They told her last week she would need to get her gallbladder removed when she get stronger.

Sunday she spikes fever again and meds aren’t working so she goes to the ER and gets admitted and told they will be doing emergency surgery because the 5cm gallstone is wedged in the neck of her galbladder…

and then they drug her up and leave her on a stretcher unmasked in a hallway for 10 hours before telling her they’re discharging her because she’s not strong enough - and she takes an Uber home because they hospital is an hour away and her hubby thought she was staying overnight.

Apr 7, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Asking for a couple of air purifiers is such a minor thing. It's not a mask requirement, it's not a covid test before entering the venue, it's like one of the easiest, most unobtrusive, passive precautions you can take (and probably not that effective TBH given the size of a venue needed for 200 people).

Most people probably wouldn't even associate the air purifiers with COVID. Just a mind-boggling response.

obscene overreaction to any sort of covid precautions has been the rule rather than the norm in my experience. being told they couldn't eat out for two months three years ago turned everyone into insane reactionaries

Apr 7, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

They told her last week she would need to get her gallbladder removed when she get stronger.

Sunday she spikes fever again and meds aren’t working so she goes to the ER and gets admitted and told they will be doing emergency surgery because the 5cm gallstone is wedged in the neck of her galbladder…

and then they drug her up and leave her on a stretcher unmasked in a hallway for 10 hours before telling her they’re discharging her because she’s not strong enough - and she takes an Uber home because they hospital is an hour away and her hubby thought she was staying overnight.

gently caress's sake

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pillowpants posted:

Im sorry man. Dealing with this stuff is a nightmare, even just second hand the stress is overwhelming.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I saw the text thread, what she actually asked for was "would it be ok if i talked to the venue manager and both paid for and set up purifiers under tables and behind curtains so it'll be invisible to everyone and you won't have to worry about it"

the only ask was "are you ok if i take care of this?"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

obscene overreaction to any sort of covid precautions has been the rule rather than the norm in my experience. being told they couldn't eat out for two months three years ago turned everyone into insane reactionaries

yeah this feels right, it was just the notion of it still being a thing and of course being made to think about something you don't want to is violence

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trump ran as an anti vax guy and everyone said how bad it was that he did that and nothing happened and he won and it got worse

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In a way the entire botched covid response came down to personal trump idiosyncrasies. he was against vaccines becuase he’s mad one of his kids (in his mind ) had a bad reaction . and he was mad about masks because it’s hard for him to wear them with all his makeup and fat head

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

lol :google:, famous for keeping products alive

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Several states are just missing, wtf. Are we going to have to use different wastewater trackers for different states now?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Pillowpants posted:

christ

Condolences, this poo poo sucks.

euphronius posted:

In a way the entire botched covid response came down to personal trump idiosyncrasies. he was against vaccines becuase he’s mad one of his kids (in his mind ) had a bad reaction . and he was mad about masks because it’s hard for him to wear them with all his makeup and fat head

I'm not accusing this of being a SYQ because it's not entirely wrong, parts of this are true, but I think it's REALLY missing the broader picture, like the Biden admin chaos dunking every last mitigation the nano-instant it was convenient to do so (and it also misses Trump touting both antibody treatments and the vaccine, primarily because it would be a feather in his cap, or almost accidentally implementing good social programs like unlimited school lunch funds and a pseudo-UBI, which of course were then dumpstered along with mask mandates, and free vaccines, and testing, and reporting, and-). Like, yes, obviously, Trump appealing to reactionaries and being an aspiring fascist is quite bad, but the entire system sucks poo poo and the direction of these issues has been Quite Bad even disregarding Trump. Antivax sentiment was growing as a weird thing bougie white democrats did before the Trump era started appealing to all the Q-Anon types, and America's perennial obsession with fascism got Trump elected, not the other way around; he's more a symptom than a cause.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

mawarannahr posted:

lol :google:, famous for keeping products alive

ouch

yeah, not a ringing endorsement

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shiroc posted:

Gotta admit I'm pretty bummed about there not actually being anything on the horizon that will change the incredibly stupid situation we're in.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

My wife and I are going to her sister's wedding in a month and there are a bunch of different receptions and parties afterward. My wife is going to one of these without me due to scheduling; it's an indoor event with over 200 people. She made the mistake of asking her sister if she had thought about setting up air purifiers in the venue since a) she's medically compromised and b) there are a lot of truly ancient family members who are going to be in attendance, and the room is going to be at fire capacity.

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all" and she's "done hearing about covid."

Same woman who gushed that we saved her life in 2020 when we shipped her a box of n95s I had in my wildfire kit when she was living in Manhattan during the initial surge.

:centrism:

holy poo poo :smith:

sorry I dunno if y'all were close with her sister but that's really... awful

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Awesome, thank you, this is perfect, especially since the two of us were reading a bunch of Nate Holdren pieces last week.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

nah

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

christ

Condolences, this poo poo sucks.

I'm not accusing this of being a SYQ because it's not entirely wrong, parts of this are true, but I think it's REALLY missing the broader picture, like the Biden admin chaos dunking every last mitigation the nano-instant it was convenient to do so (and it also misses Trump touting both antibody treatments and the vaccine, primarily because it would be a feather in his cap, or almost accidentally implementing good social programs like unlimited school lunch funds and a pseudo-UBI, which of course were then dumpstered along with mask mandates, and free vaccines, and testing, and reporting, and-). Like, yes, obviously, Trump appealing to reactionaries and being an aspiring fascist is quite bad, but the entire system sucks poo poo and the direction of these issues has been Quite Bad even disregarding Trump. Antivax sentiment was growing as a weird thing bougie white democrats did before the Trump era started appealing to all the Q-Anon types, and America's perennial obsession with fascism got Trump elected, not the other way around; he's more a symptom than a cause.

yeah. a symptom and an avatar of those things perhaps, but only because he's just another stupid dipshit american

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

anyone see any RAT deals that beat $2.50 or so per test?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

What's the current direction to take on mothvax if one already got the updated booster? Wait X weeks? Contraindicated?

Wait 2 months, maybe 3, that's what was on the form I filled out getting mrna this morning

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

My wife and I are going to her sister's wedding in a month and there are a bunch of different receptions and parties afterward. My wife is going to one of these without me due to scheduling; it's an indoor event with over 200 people. She made the mistake of asking her sister if she had thought about setting up air purifiers in the venue since a) she's medically compromised and b) there are a lot of truly ancient family members who are going to be in attendance, and the room is going to be at fire capacity.

Anyway we're disinvited from the entire event now, because "anyone who is worried about their health shouldn't come at all" and she's "done hearing about covid."

Same woman who gushed that we saved her life in 2020 when we shipped her a box of n95s I had in my wildfire kit when she was living in Manhattan during the initial surge.

:centrism:

jesus christ

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

holy poo poo :smith:

sorry I dunno if y'all were close with her sister but that's really... awful

She's ten years younger than my wife and was practically raised by her since their parents are both doctors and were absentee working 80 hours a week when she was small.

It's actually heartbreaking.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

lmao imagine worrying about your health

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Most if not all of those sites were tracking on Verily/WWScan since before their new contract with the CDC. Like, it takes a few weeks for labs to put together enough data points to start a trendline, and since the deal was only announced like what, a week ago? Only a couple days ago the NWSS data file started logging newly assigned sewershed IDs for older sites that stopped in mid-September and are getting restarted now, but obviously not all of them are tracking enough data yet. Give it a little time before freaking everyone out.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

icantfindaname posted:

Wait 2 months, maybe 3, that's what was on the form I filled out getting mrna this morning

There's no Novavax within 100 miles of either me or places that I could find a good/easy reason to visit (the nearest IKEA is almost three hours away, and I could totally reward myself with a Blahaj for getting jabbed) so I expect that waiting 2-3 months would happen for most people no matter what. It may take that long for the shot to be generally accessible.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

lmao, what a little bitch. i got a fat face that looks fatter when i'm in a 9210, doesn't stop me. make me president!

(do not make me president, tia)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

Several states are just missing, wtf. Are we going to have to use different wastewater trackers for different states now?

Yes. Using multiple trackers and dashboards has been a thing for the whole time. Washington state data was incredibly sparse on Biobot to the extent that I basically ignored it because I was getting more comprehensive data from the state's dashboard each week.

Like, instead of listing results by each sewershed, Biobot would blend them if there was more one site within a county (and I could never find confirmation if a particular county was blended or not). Maybe the data's better if you had more access but on the front end I found it pretty frustrating and unhelpful.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

She's ten years younger than my wife and was practically raised by her since their parents are both doctors and were absentee working 80 hours a week when she was small.

That really, really sucks :smith:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

wow

even to me that's a pretty impressive zero to one-hundred 'gently caress you and your health concerns' snap lol

So… what’s the downside, exactly?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

My wife is really family orientated, she hasn't seen a lot of her aunts and uncles in a long time, and being told in no uncertain terms to go gently caress herself by her closest family is already sending her sliding back toward the maw of clinical depression

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Oracle posted:

... other than breaking bonds of familial affection that are decades old?

no big deal really

this is why I asked about whether she was close to these people, because it's also realistic for families NOT to have that sort of relationship, but she clearly does. I'm so sorry Oldest Man, I hope y'all can strengthen your own relationship and care for each other when this poo poo happens.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zantie posted:

Yes. Using multiple trackers and dashboards has been a thing for the whole time. Washington state data was incredibly sparse on Biobot to the extent that I basically ignored it because I was getting more comprehensive data from the state's dashboard each week.

Like, instead of listing results by each sewershed, Biobot would blend them if there was more one site within a county (and I could never find confirmation if a particular county was blended or not). Maybe the data's better if you had more access but on the front end I found it pretty frustrating and unhelpful.

well drat, shows how little attention I've been paying to the wastewater details

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

god that's so depressing :smith:

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hailthefish posted:

lmao

wearing an n95 for hours at a time while engaged in physical activity does, unquestionably, suck absolute rear end but it's not like, impossible or traumatizing or anything, it just fuckin sucks. like I'm a big fat out of shape goon with commensurate cardiovascular and respiratory health and managed just fine lmao

it's really not that bad ime and i've both done several hours straight of physical labor in one (aura), plus spending about 32 hours straight in an airport in one (aura again, of course had to pull it down at times during that to drink or eat) which included sleeping in it

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I have slept in an Aura, as have three family members. It was a total non-event. Brisk walking in 90+ degree heat in one, though, sucked a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wearing a well fitted bra all day is more uncomfortable over time than wearing a well fitted n95 all day.

On the scale of things its very low impact imo.