Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

I have a very hard time believing that the visual quality through a windscreen protector would be worthwhile. They have these for racecars (different but same idea) and they pick up a lot of little marks that glass wouldn't, because they're a plastic film.
Just have a roll of fresh plastic film

My 20 year old glass is pretty pitted to the point it's annoying if the sun hits it at just the right angle. Still probably not a very reasonable solution lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They use sand on ice and snow around here because its often too cold for salt, but I dont know of anyone using a plastic glass-protection film. It wouldnt save your windshield from a rock spiderwebbing it, so I dont see much point in spending the time/money.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mobby_6kl posted:

My 20 year old glass is pretty pitted to the point it's annoying if the sun hits it at just the right angle. Still probably not a very reasonable solution lol.

IMO a 20 year old windshield is probably harder wearing than the new ones I got, seems newer windshields just keep getting worse and getting messed up faster.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
windshield industrys gone woke :argh:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

glass does accumulate surface deposits, have you tried claybar-ing your windshield? chris fix had a good episode on deep cleaning your windshield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkfrY2owb0

if you own a buffer you supposedly can use that on it but ive never tried it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Clay bar trick is definitely worth a try.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there any way to get those big maintenance charts for cars now? I've tried searching, but it seems like they've been scrubbed from existence. Do I have to trust the onboard maintenance system? I have a 2021 Honda CRV.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Travic posted:

Is there any way to get those big maintenance charts for cars now? I've tried searching, but it seems like they've been scrubbed from existence. Do I have to trust the onboard maintenance system? I have a 2021 Honda CRV.

There should be some kind of maintenance schedule in your owners handbook

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Travic posted:

Manufacturers have moved away from those charts mostly, some still use em, but owners manual should have everything you need.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dr. Lunchables posted:

There should be some kind of maintenance schedule in your owners handbook

It has this:

7,500 22,500 37,500 52,500 67,500 82,500 miles
Check and replace fluids
Change oil and filter
Inspect brakes
Lubricate throttle linkage
Inspect tire treads
Check tire pressure
Rotate tires

15,000 45,000 75,000 105,000 miles
Rotate and balance wheels
Inspect undercarriage
Inspect shocks and struts
Inspect and adjust clutch pedal
Lubricate chassis and all hinges
Check A/C and heater operation
Service transmission
Inspect park brake
Re-torque drive shaft
Check lights interior lamps, and exterior lamps
Check steering systems, steering gear box, and steering wheel
Replace oil drain plug
Replace oil gasket
Replace windshield wipers
Replace spark plugs as needed
Replace air conditioning filter
Take a road test
Check fuel systems
Check differential oil
Check brake linings and hoses

30,000 60,000 90,000 120,000 miles
Inspect transfer case oil
Inspect air elements
Inspect all exterior and interior lamps
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket, fuel lines, and connections
Service PCV valve
Lubricate propeller shaft
Lubricate wheel bearings
Inspect propeller shaft flex coupling
Check battery and clean terminals
Road test and quality control
Service transmission
Service battery and clean cables
Replace differential oil

I can make it into the chart so I can read it better. I was just hoping they still made those charts because they lay out the really important stuff and do it very clearly.

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 9, 2023

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
How important is the water shield in a car door? Trying to fix a window that fell into the door of my 2002 Civic Coupe and it seems like the last person to work on it decided to use caulk to secure it back on, meaning I can't remove it without destroying it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

How important is the water shield in a car door? Trying to fix a window that fell into the door of my 2002 Civic Coupe and it seems like the last person to work on it decided to use caulk to secure it back on, meaning I can't remove it without destroying it.

p sure it keeps your electric window bits from shorting out, so pretty important

also keeps water from soaking the back of/through your inner door panel/getting into the pocket/etc.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 9, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DildenAnders posted:

Can't you just go slow and flat razor along it, then re-attatch it? As mentioned, it's pretty important.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
My 2003 Tahoe is leaking coolant. I can't see precisely where it's leaking from, but it's dripping from underneath the fan onto the crank pulley. Does this sound like something a new gasket would fix, or should I replace the whole pump?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

oh dope posted:

My 2003 Tahoe is leaking coolant. I can't see precisely where it's leaking from, but it's dripping from underneath the fan onto the crank pulley. Does this sound like something a new gasket would fix, or should I replace the whole pump?

It will require further investigation to figure out where exactly the leak is coming from, but if you're going to replace the gasket (for the water pump I assume) you might as well do the water pump too since the labour is exactly the same and the only increase in price is for the cost of the pump.

How old is the pump? Is it most likely the original?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

I'll go slightly against the grain here and say it's not THAT critical - I believe it's actually more of a NVH thing than a water thing, and the door and window seals play more of a role in keeping water out.

Also, though, it's just a sheet of plastic and some butyl tape. You can make a new one pretty trivially using inexpensive stuff from amazon.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 9, 2023

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

It will require further investigation to figure out where exactly the leak is coming from, but if you're going to replace the gasket (for the water pump I assume) you might as well do the water pump too since the labour is exactly the same and the only increase in price is for the cost of the pump.

How old is the pump? Is it most likely the original?

Yeah, probably. I've only owned it 3 years. It's a got a bunch of other issues I'm trying to take care of too, (that's why I'm trying to cheap out), but the water pump deal is the most urgent. I'll just replace the whole thing and quit worrying about it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This has been washed and wiped at least three times with both soapy water and car detailing spray and it still looks like this. I'm guessing on vacation either on a gravel road or in a construction zone some nasty poo poo got flung onto the plastic and permanently (?) stained it.

Anyone have any suggestions? About to try some of that Back 2 Black poo poo that my wife puts on her 17 year old Xterra's plastic but obviously shouldn't normally need that on a brand new car.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

bird with big dick posted:

car detailing spray

Isnt that usually a shiny top coat of some type?

Id hit it with a dedicated plastic/vinyl cleaner, or visit a real detail shop. Hard to say from pictures if its something on the plastic, burned off, or in it for life.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've seen something similar (wax in the plastic bumper detail of a Volvo) and it was a huge headache. I don't think it's a stain, just dirt in the tiny crevices of the factory 'rough' finish plastic. I'd go at it with a very coarse brush and soap/water (protect the paint beside it).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Have you tried the it fixes everything alternative: a magic eraser?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is there a shortlist somewhere for "services car shops will try to push on you that you don't actually need"

I just want to have it in the back of my mind when a rep or mechanic tries to tell me something's wrong. today the service center decided to push some 100k mile coolant flush thing for $200 and I have no idea what that's about or whether it's necessary

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kalel posted:

is there a shortlist somewhere for "services car shops will try to push on you that you don't actually need"

I just want to have it in the back of my mind when a rep or mechanic tries to tell me something's wrong. today the service center decided to push some 100k mile coolant flush thing for $200 and I have no idea what that's about or whether it's necessary

Anything that's not in your manual under scheduled maintenance (aka almost everything shops and dealers will try to sell you)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

kalel posted:

I don't know about a list but if a radiator flush is actually required it's usually deadass simple and you can do it yourself for the cost of the coolant. Just look for a Youtube video for your specific vehicle and pick the one you think explains it easiest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

opengl posted:

Anything that's not in your manual under scheduled maintenance (aka almost everything shops and dealers will try to sell you)

They will also just lie about the intervals compared to what the manual says.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

I've seen something similar (wax in the plastic bumper detail of a Volvo) and it was a huge headache. I don't think it's a stain, just dirt in the tiny crevices of the factory 'rough' finish plastic. I'd go at it with a very coarse brush and soap/water (protect the paint beside it).

I think you're right. I thought soap and water and a microfiber should get in there enough but I went after it with a soft bristled brush and have gotten most of it I think. Need to see if it comes back. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

I think you're right. I thought soap and water and a microfiber should get in there enough but I went after it with a soft bristled brush and have gotten most of it I think. Need to see if it comes back. Thanks!

Glad to hear it!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I gotta get tires for my 2016 Ford Fiesta. What should I get that won't suck?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

suck at what

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Cactus Ghost posted:

suck at what

Not wearing out in half a year I guess.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

emSparkly posted:

Safest thing to do is stick to the well known big brands like Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone if you want good tires. There's a bunch of mid-price brands too that are decent like Kumho, Hankook, Falken, Toyo. If you're somewhere with snow you're also probably switching between winter and not-winter tires, right?

If your tires wore out extremely fast, either you were running winter tires over the summer, you bought an incredibly cheap tire maybe from one of the brands known for making dogshit tires like Linglong Tire or Longmarch Tires, or possibly you bought ultra-high performance summer tires accidentally that were designed to be really sticky over their short life.

When looking at tires from reputable brands, they'll have a treadwear rating on them. Higher numbers generally mean that the tire is designed to last longer, usually the trade-off is that it's less grippy or noisier or something else, but modern good tires are pretty good all around. The Michelin Defender tires that everybody puts on their boring crossovers have a treadwear rating higher than 800, for example.

Related question for the rest of the thread: Has anybody actually run Cosmo Tires? Someone showed up in the EV thread asking if they should put "MuchoMacho" tires on their $60k Polestar 2 to replace its OEM tires, and they were pointed towards real brands instead, as usual. I was trying to figure out what was up with Cosmo but couldn't find a single legitimate review of any kind, and drifters on Reddit seem to like them because they're nearly as cheap as Linglongs and burn into smoke just fine: https://www.thedrive.com/news/30911/you-should-probably-skip-these-cheap-sexy-beast-and-muchomacho-all-season-tires

Linglong tires did get tested by Consumer Reports at one point, they were outlier-bad in every single way compared to every other tire in the roundup.

Edit: OP you should not buy the Sexy Beast tires. I'm bringing them up as an example of what not to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

emSparkly posted:

if you had new-ish tires that wore out in half a year you got other problems than tire brand

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887596

tire thread right there but twerk from home's advice is good.

More tire companies should give their tires cool names. El Jefe? hell yeah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice! posted:

I hope this is a kosher type question. I'm talking to a dealer about a 2022 Kia Niro hybrid with 19k miles. I have a sticking point on price, and if they meet me where I want, I'll get a decent deal. I'll walk otherwise. We'll see how much they want to move the car.

My question isn't about any of the buying process, financing, or anything like that. Are there any known issues with this particular year model? It doesn't have the easy to steal ignition since it's push button. Most reviews I've read are solid and it seems like a pretty decent car. I didn't see any place to ask this particular type of question.

On the more technical side, my gf's got a 2016 mazda CX-5 that has a vin and brake calipers that fall under techpub r052/16c. Her car is within the vin range and has calipers with dates prior to the corrected ones. I'm not going to do this myself and will be taking it to the shop next week. I'm just curious if anyone has dealt with this particular issue. Seems like a pretty straight forward replacement of brake calipers.

An update - they didn't take my offer and finally sold the car to someone else. Oh well.

On the mazda side of the house, the mechanic, after digging around for a bit, determined it is not the calipers in this case but somehow the entire left rear brake system has no power. Now they're trying to chase down why no power is getting to the left rear brakes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ok Comboomer posted:

congratulations on the retirement

:hayter: Lots of people I know think it's a cool car, and yes they are all over forty why do you ask.

So, I ended up paying to have the car shipped, mostly because I didn't like the idea of trying to drive a car without a tag across five state lines. I know it's not technically illegal, but the details of the legality vary by state. Also, even if I end up being able to explain why I don't have a tag, I don't want to have that many interactions with state troopers because it just takes one of them to decide "gently caress it, I already pulled him over, I'm writing him up for something"

Anyway, the shipping company just called me yesterday to say that the carrier they contracted needs me to call them and pay them an additional fifty dollars because the pick up location is a little outside of their usual zone. When I said that I'd already agreed to a price to ship the car, the representative assured me I didn't have to do this and we could wait for another carrier that would do it at this price. I dunno, it's not so much the money as just feeling a little scammy at being told it would cost more, and to call a third party to, what, pay them over the phone? What if they did the same thing for the drop off, when they already have the car?

I told them I wanted to wait for a carrier that would ship it at the agreed price, and not to contact me about these other carriers, so we'll see if I'm on their poo poo list now and have to wait a long time. The agreement has a pick up window of such and such days, but I have no clue if they actually have to honor that or if, when or if I ever demand a refund to find someone else, they won't cite fees and keep a lot of the money

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's a cool car, just be careful around large crowds.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm learning to drive my manual faster. I've got normal driving nice and smooth, now it's time to have a little more fun. I'm working on letting the clutch out fast without jerking the transmission. From what I've experienced and read/watched on YouTube videos I need to let the clutch out at the right rpm. And that number is different for every gear at every speed; i.e., shifting into 2nd at 20mph requires a different rpm than 30mph.

Do I have this right, or am I missing something?

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 12, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a cool car, just be careful around large crowds.

I've never owned a v8 RWD car, or even driven one really, but with my f150 with the straight six I'd get going from a stop with no gas, just letting the clutch out. From what I've heard online if you treat the mustang like that it's not bad. Unlike my current car, a stick shift Mazda 3, where you definitely want to use a little bit of engine rev to get a smooth start in first. And more generally I'm just looking to cruise around, not do burnout's at a car and coffee that end in tragedy.

Edit: Shipping company is trying to pick it up today, so I guess that was all a non issue.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 12, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I drove an 18 Focus RS yesterday and drat that thing rips. I want one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Travic posted:

So I'm learning to drive my manual faster. I've got normal driving nice and smooth, now it's time to have a little more fun. I'm working on letting the clutch out fast without jerking the transmission. From what I've experienced and read/watched on YouTube videos I need to let the clutch out at the right rpm. And that number is different for every gear at every speed; i.e., shifting into 2nd at 20mph requires a different rpm than 30mph.

Do I have this right, or am I missing something?
Nope, that's right.

You want to release the clutch at the time when the engine RPM drops just the right amount. The exact timing will depend on the gear ratios, flywheel weight, whether there's a clutch delay valve, etc. You could check the gear ratios to get the idea but it's really not necessary to overthink it too much. After some time you just kind of learn how long to pause to get a smooth shift.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've never owned a v8 RWD car, or even driven one really, but with my f150 with the straight six I'd get going from a stop with no gas, just letting the clutch out. From what I've heard online if you treat the mustang like that it's not bad. Unlike my current car, a stick shift Mazda 3, where you definitely want to use a little bit of engine rev to get a smooth start in first. And more generally I'm just looking to cruise around, not do burnout's at a car and coffee that end in tragedy.
Well that seems like not using the car for its intended purpose :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OP, just drive more. A lot of this is stuff youll pick up by feel.