Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

stettman sucks super bad and it's completely in-character for him to be a smug racist shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is just another one of those situations where I'd love to take a character from the game, and sit them down in front of the game itself just to see how they'd react to it (and how they'd play).

In this case, have a certain Phase- Smith from Legacy of the Void play through Wings of Liberty, and make sure he reads all of Stetmann's notes and all the technology descriptions and such, just to see how he'd react to it all.
He'd need to snort a big load of solarite to deal with that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

FoolyCharged posted:

I'll be honest, my reaction to "why don't the protoss do this? What a bunch of idiots!" was to immediately assume the terrains were doing something stupidly dangerous and prone to exploding because there was a reason the protoss don't do that.

It definitely read like hubris yeah.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Poil posted:

He'd need to snort a big load of solarite to deal with that.

He's all about that Solarite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sdWlqkrTd8

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'll note I would similarly love to sit Tychus, or hell, just about any notable character down for the same treatment, just get them to play through the campaign, check out conversations and stuff, just overall see how they react to the player's Fuller Perspective of what's going on.

Let Tychus see how many parts of his situation Jim can discover without putting it all together, or watch him set the difficulty down to Casual for the Odin missions purely so the big lad can stomp around and have his fun. Maybe Tosh gets curious and checks out what would have happened if Raynor had fallen for Nova's lies? Stetmann gets horrible Decision Paralysis on the research options. Swann gets sad at having to choose between all the neat armory upgrades, rolls his eyes when he sees the unit reward for going to the Colonel Orlan mission.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Cythereal posted:

Back when I'd heard that the SC2 campaign would include campaign-only upgrades, I thought Raynor's Raiders were going to turn into a Terran/Protoss hybrid race due to Raynor being buddies with them. Teenage me was imagining poo poo like vultures firing reaver scarabs, battlecruisers with interceptors riding wingmate, and ghosts with psi storm.

See, this. SC1 had convincingly set up three hybrid races, to double the number of armies in the game. Raynor could be a Protoss/Terran hybrid and the 'standard' Terran could be the kel-morian combine or something. There was also a convincing Terran/Zerg (Stukov faction) and Zerg/Protoss (Duran faction, aka the hybrids). High school me was convinced this was intentional and SC2 was totally going to do this. Actiblizz of 2009 either didn't see the possibility or just noped out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Four if you include the UED given that they broadcast their success home at the end of their campaign. They don't have an overmind or presence in the sector anymore, but they were an already existing zerg/Terran hybrid faction that might come back looking to reclaim that.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

I'll be honest, my reaction to "why don't the protoss do this? What a bunch of idiots!" was to immediately assume the terrains were doing something stupidly dangerous and prone to exploding because there was a reason the protoss don't do that.

"Don't just warp vespene gas. We learned that the hard way on Tranecus IV."

"Where's Tranecus IV? I've never even heard of the Tranecus system..."

"... And that would be why."

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Noted, went back and fixed it.

poo poo like this is part of why I'm not bothering to do skirmish write-ups. There's just so much stuff that changes from game to game.

I'd love to have a quick skirmish race overview after the campaign, just to provide a comparison of "this is what units this race has in skirmish right now and how it plays" against the campaign units. Or, in case of WoL, just the old units versus new units.

I recently tried to catch up on skirmish for version 5.whatever after last playing in WoL and :aaaaa:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hell, there was a new big balance patch just this last month. We still don't know how the meta is shaking out for that yet. All I know is the changes to Cyclones and Banelings are controversial.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They could have just connected the command center to the vespene with a hose.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Poil posted:

They could have just connected the command center to the vespene with a hose.

Why the Terrans have never thought to transport vespene in this fashion is a mystery. Perhaps they lack Goon creativity and pragmatism, or possibly their primitive superstitions forbid the practice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just build a big fan in the ground

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's probably worth noting that both of the other campaigns have their equivalent of the Automated Refinery as an available upgrade, so I guess the Protoss actually can figure out how to warp that vespene. Just needs solarite I suppose.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Tenebrais posted:

I guess the Protoss actually can figure out how to warp that vespene. Just needs solarite I suppose.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Okay I think you're all getting a bit too ahead of yourselves.

You can meme about solarite to your hearts content once we actually hit LotV.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Okay I think you're all getting a bit too ahead of yourselves.

You can meme about solarite to your hearts content once we actually hit LotV.

Quoting for posterity.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

can i meme about they gave a protoss a loving neckbeard

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if a zerg can have stiletto heels, it's only fair for a protoss to have neckbeards

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

M’carrier

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

yeah these are called septenary sexual characteristics

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

M'Khala

"In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any wretched Khala's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence." - A'alewis

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

M'Khala

"In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any wretched Khala's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence." - A'alewis

I was Executor Stylish long before you. Do not try my patience.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When you were expansion harassing, I studied the psi-blade. When you were probe scouting, I mastered the khala. While you wasted your days building additional pylons in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated inner cloaking. And now that Mar Sara is on fire and the Zerg hybrids are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Artifact 3: The Mobius Factor

Video: The Mobius Factor

Haven gets to survive another day.

And the illusive Dr. Narud we've heard about finally makes an appearance.

Narud. Emil Narud. Absolutely zero relation to Samir Duran, creator of the Hybrid. Trust me on this, my good friends Spider and Commander Redips can back me up.

Hey, you know how Mengsk is treated as a major antagonist, despite barely appearing in the story?

Well now Kerrigan gets her time in the spotlight.

Kerrigan...

Unlike the Hybrid from last time, which at least had a health bar even if you couldn't hurt it, Kerrigan is flat out untargetable here.

She'll slowly work her way over to a Data Core, which I have to take down before she can reach it.

However, she doesn't have a full map of the city, so she can't just directly head to a Data Core. Instead she'll stop and check every building in her path.

Medivacs are a combination Medic and Dropship.

A unlisted side objective for this mission is to save a bunch of Mobius troops scattered across the map. To sweeten the deal, all of them are Mercs.

Also pretty much all of them are on high ground with no low ground access, so you're forced to use your shiny new Medivacs to pick them up.

And Kerrigan starts her tour of the city. At a glance, 8 minutes is a decently tight time limit.

Except those Mercs by the Data Core are more than enough to deal it.

Since they're on the high ground, I'm completely safe from everything except Mutalisks.

While they're at it, I get started on the only time I'll ever use a Hercules.

A Nydus pops up once the Data Core gets low.

But again, high ground. All this does is really insist that you perch up top instead of trying to push your way over with a normal army.

Of course! The Mobius data cores! You won't get the rest of them!

Ah hell. At least she doesn't know where to find the other cores. We better get to the next one, fast!

Taking out the first Data Core adds on an extra 10 minutes to the timer, as Kerrigan has to cross more distance and search more buildings to reach the second. The time limit is really only a factor until you get that initial boost, 16 minutes is more than enough time to build up an army.

God I love Tech Reactors.

This is the third time I've had to fight a Brutalisk as a bonus objective.

Occasionally a Nydus will pop out just outside my base to keep me from just turtling up here while I send out dropships.

It doesn't help that there's two Spine Crawlers guarding the first one.

Behold: The only two Hercules I'll make in Wings.

Granted, that's because I won't need more.

6 Marines, 6 Marauders, 3 Medics, and a Goliath-

Doesn't even fill up a single Hercules.

I'd need 3 Medivacs to fit that many units.

I sit around for a while longer to get two Science Vessels out for repairs.

As soon as I start moving to the next Data Core some more Mobius troops chime in.

Eh, free 4 supply of dudes.

You can also see how this map forces drop play. While I could just make an army and walk to the end, the path is a bunch of slim roads packed with wandering defenders. Even if I did decide to brute force it, after a point Kerrigan will push far enough that any reinforcements I send out would have to slip by her.

The expansion is right next to the second Core.

I'm not grabbing it. Much like Welcome to the Jungle, the mission is so fast that between having to wait for the Creep to recede and the time/money needed to get a CC and defenses up and running, it's better to just put the money towards a bigger army and win the mission.

I start deploying at 10:51.

Five seconds later, and my army is out. There's a few guys stuck in one Hercules, but that's because there's not enough open space nearby.

Just like the last one, Nydus Worms start popping up once the Core gets low.

Whatever they are, Kerrigan - I sure as hell ain't letting you have 'em.

That Queen of Blades really is quite a nuisance, isn't she?

And I grab those free guys before I head back to base.

Destroying the second Data Core gives me another 8 minutes. I'm only stopping here to pick up units that have been cooking while I was away.

This mission would probably be a fair bit more tense if Kerrigan didn't spend two and a half minutes vibrating every building she comes across.

Kerrigan can, and will, attack you if you run into her while she's between buildings, but once she's channeling she's 100% harmless.

Which is not a sentence I should ever be able to say. "Sarah 'Queen Bitch of the Universe' Kerrigan" and "harmless" do not go together.

There is a Brutalisk.

There is no longer a Brutalisk.

Now, I could go rush the objective from here, but there's a few more Mobius guys I need to find.

Although I spend some time to hit a few defenses.

There's a really obvious tag on the ground to show where one group is.

And they're right next to the final group. Seven War Pigs and a Spartan Company in total.

Sadly I just hit the limit on my Hercules, so some of them will have to rot.

Now I can finish things.

All in all, The Mobius Factor is disappointing as a mission.

I mean, like, Sarah loving Kerrigan is here! In person!

The Queen Bitch of the Universe herself!

Use her as more than a loving mission timer!

She's not even a threatening one! She still has half the drat map to cross before I even get close to losing!

Also the Worms start popping out really early for the final Data Core, but when my army is this big I can just... blitz it down long before they can start spawning units.

I'm sure the good doctor isn't leading Raynor to the artifacts specifically so he can kill Kerrigan and remove the one threat to the Hybrid Apocalypse.

That would be just silly!

Contract Saviors - Complete "The Moebius Factor" mission by training only SCVs, Medivacs, and Mercenaries on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 5, 2024

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ooooof, that mission is one huge nothing. It looks like it would be pretty easy even if you did it as soon as you possibly could! Kerrigan just takes a damned eternity to do anything and spends a bunch of time... channeling?
God, I hate this game sometimes!

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kills: 0

Somehow, I doubt that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shastahanshah posted:

Kills: 0

Somehow, I doubt that.

confirmed: Kerrigan did nothing wrong

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I am a simple man of simple tastes. My favorite kind of mission in an RTS like this is where there is a crap-ton of enemies on the map, and you win when there are zero. So it breaks my heart to see missions like this predicated on leaving parts of the map alone, especially by simple additions like invincible/infinite enemies, or a not-generous-enough timer. And this looks like it has both. gently caress you Blizzard.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Poil posted:

Maybe it's Mobious that handles everything Tychus, including monitoring (if they even bother), and they probably don't give the tiniest poo poo about what he does unless it were to go against THEIR plans.

As we've now met Mr Emil "totally not Samir Duran the Xel'naga" Narud, I think this post is correct.
Mengsk thinks Tychus is his spy in the Raiders. Tychus thinks Mengsk is his boss. But everything goes through Moebius, so Duran is the one actually calling the shots.

E: IIRC, Raynor had zero interactions with Duran back in Brood War so it's not like he could possibly know or realize any of this.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 14, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ah yes, Mr. Raynor, you and your sterling career as a Marshal all those years ago... those four years ago. I know it's just harping on it at this point but even the little throwaway lines feel like they were written for a story where at absolute minimum the ~12 real years between game releases was also the time span that passed in-universe.

And yeah this mission was a big nothing. Even without the Hercules, you just build a few extra Medivacs and do the same things.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

E: IIRC, Raynor had zero interactions with Duran back in Brood War so it's not like he could possibly know or realize any of this.

Yeah, but even if no one in the main cast knows it's just insulting that Blizzard went for something as low effort as the ol' 'just flip their name bro' plan. Especially for someone who's been working towards this for god knows how long.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amirsay Uranday

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, but even if no one in the main cast knows it's just insulting that Blizzard went for something as low effort as the ol' 'just flip their name bro' plan. Especially for someone who's been working towards this for god knows how long.

Were we players not supposed to realize Narud is Duran?
I tend to treat the ol' Alucard flip as a strictly meta thing*, a way to tell the viewers this guy is the villain in disguise without actually making the disguise faulty in-universe.

*unless it's literally Dracula/Alucard, nobody gets any excuse for that one

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kerrigan really busting out the "Oh, I'll never tell~" in this mission, huh. Just say it, Kerrigan! Say who he is and what the artifacts do! Save us from the rest of this plot, please!

megane fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 14, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Hercules's carrying capacity and drop speed is ridiculous, and if there were more maps for drop play, it would be awesome unit.

But we just won the one mandatory drop play map and that's it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Omobono posted:

Mengsk thinks Tychus is his spy in the Raiders. Tychus thinks Mengsk is his boss. But everything goes through Moebius, so Duran is the one actually calling the shots.

i am going to remember this post for a very non-specific reason

Also it's very funny how, once again, the "Featured Unit" mission design gets dumped on its rear end because there's something better available.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Hercules also has the advantage of having a great voice actor with great delivery, which makes it more of a shame it's on a unit you can completely miss.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never got that Narud = Duran when I first played. Either I wasn't really paying attention or I assumed that'd be way too clever for their level of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I dunno, we all hated it when we kept killing Maar over and over, now we hate it when we can't fight Kerrigan directly...