Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In fairness, KK is also right up there in terms of "best cf's in baseball," and also the Jays did use Varsho in center field a lot.

P.S. RE-SIGN KK, for heck's sake.

Sticking a no bat all glove dude in a corner outfield spot when you're trying to win the world series oh and you traded a top 5 in all of baseball prospect for him is just pants on head stupid. Varsho played ~50 games worth of innings in CF which means the rest of the time he was a no bat corner outfielder on a team that struggled for offence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2023/10/08/major-league-baseball-managers-grossly-underpaid/71106218007/

Bob Melvin is the highest paid manager because of course the Padres have the highest paid manager.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Should O’s fans start posting here now?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It's Nightingale, so watch Melvin actually be the cheapest manager sonehow

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eric the Mauve posted:

He has been an awesome CF glove for a decade though and not appreciated nearly enough

It's because he's mostly been overshadowed by Buxton, despite the injury issues

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Kirios posted:

Should O’s fans start posting here now?

yeah

:smith:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Look, we have at least another day before being swept out of Arlington, we've gotta win at least one, right? :smith:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Artix posted:

Look, we have at least another day before being swept out of Arlington, we've gotta win at least one, right? :smith:

I'd like to say yes.

I'm still immensely pleased with how this season turned out, all considered, but dont feel optimistic about snagging a win at this point.

part of this is probably not wanting to allow myself to feel hope, because 1-2 is a lot more hopium bait than 0-2

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Dear Brewers,

Please just leave Milwaukee. You haven't won poo poo in over 50 years of existence. The owner is threatening to leave unless stadium upgrades are paid for by the public. The thematically named Miller Park is now loving AmFam Field. You got rid of Josh Hader because you didn't want to pay him. The GM left because the owner is a cheapskate. Craig Counsell who is a top 5 manager is probably leaving because the owner is too cheap. The players loving hate the owner after losing arbitration cases and are ready to jump ship. You choke constantly in the playoffs. Your hitting coach sucks and you were probably stealing signs considering how much team batting average has dropped off after the Astros were caught sign stealing and the league cracked down. You are a farm team for other clubs and are going to be selling off our cy young award winning pitcher soon. Please just gently caress off to Vegas or something and maybe someday we can get a new franchise that wins a title in their first 50 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just finished watching the 1982 World Series last week. Man was the Brewers' defensive meltdown in game 7 painful to watch. And I don't even give a poo poo about the Brewers and was an infant at the time.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

This seems like really weird timing to do this while the Astros are still in the playoffs.

Astros Part Ways With AGM Bill Firkus, Farm Director Sara Goodrum

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
wrong thread

Dameius fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 10, 2023

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Off season is a good time to Remember Some Guys. I got this laminated card with my bill at a masa restaurant tonight and learned that Matt Garza was actually Matt Heron

Man I love Mexican bingo

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
quote does not equal edit, :eng99:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my offseason plan for the cubs: sign and trade for really good baseball players to replace inferior players on the team

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This league is poo poo from a butt. Regular season is meaningless and the World Series trophy really is just a hunk of metal when the 12th best team is playing for it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What if they cut the regular season back to 145 games and made all the playoff series best of 13 or something like that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just declare a regular season champion like the Nashville Predators did that one time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1711823014503813543

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait what, why wouldn't he be draft eligible until 2024? It sounds like he'll be living in the US and going to a US university, wouldn't this make him eligible like any other "normal" prospect?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Wait what, why wouldn't he be draft eligible until 2024? It sounds like he'll be living in the US and going to a US university, wouldn't this make him eligible like any other "normal" prospect?

It depends on the type of college. If it's JuCo or Community College you can declare at any time, if it's a four-year school you can't declare until after three years. It's why you see teams draft HS players in late rounds to lure them away from college, cuz otherwise they're gone for three seasons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh that makes sense then, the linked ESPN article mentions he's rumored to be going to Vanderbilt which would then mean he's not a Junior until 2027. Cheers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Would be really weird for a Japanese superprospect to go to college in Tennessee but what I do I know

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

General Dog posted:

What if they cut the regular season back to 145 games and made all the playoff series best of 13 or something like that.

You may be on to something. I don't necessairly mind the Wildcard series being BO3 as a reward to teams that win their division (thus bypassing the more "random" round), but at minimum the Division Series should be BO7 like subsequent rounds. Virtually a rounding error of all players in the league play north of 155 games per year, so just bag a few and save the pitching.

After we inevitably expand to 32 teams, I would like to see geographic alignment of two 16-team conferences, each with two 8-team divisions. You play the seven teams in your division in 4 three-game series, the other division in your conference in two 3-game series (one home and one away for each opponent), and one of the divisions in the other conference in one 3-game series (half the teams home, half away). This would total 156 games, giving us the extra week we want for slightly expanded playoffs. Obviously you would rotate the nonconference opponent division and sites, so each team would play in each stadium on a 4-year cycle. Baseball is a regional sport; the amount I care about an opponent franchise strictly decreases with how far they are from my team. I imagine the majority of fans are like this.

The four division winners would then qualify directly into the divisional series and host a BO7. Second place in each division would host a BO3 wildcard series. The next two highest-placed teams in each conference would face the division runners up in the wildcard round, with seeding according to regular season records. This allows for 4 teams to qualify from a single division if it is much stronger than the other. Reseeding after the wildcard round would then ensure that the team with the best record in each conference would face the weakest remaining opponent in the division series. I think those couple of changes plus maybe the idea of starting the division series the day after game 3's of the wildcard round to reduce the lower seeded team's ability to line up their pitching would do a better job of rewarding regular-season play.

Right now a large issue with the Manfred playoff system is that the incentives to continually finish higher in the standings don't always line up. For example, it is almost always preferable to be a 6 seed over a 5. The 3 seed being the weakest division winner will usually have a worse record than the number 1 wildcard and there is no gurantee that they are better than the number 2 wildcard. The other issue is comparing the two best division winners. Without reseeding, any time the 6 beats the 3, then the 1 is getting a more difficult opponent than the 2 in the division series. A hypothetical home field advantage (contingent on the 1 and 2 seeds both qualifying) in the championship series isn't enough of an advantage to offset this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

You may be on to something. I don't necessairly mind the Wildcard series being BO3 as a reward to teams that win their division (thus bypassing the more "random" round), but at minimum the Division Series should be BO7 like subsequent rounds. Virtually a rounding error of all players in the league play north of 155 games per year, so just bag a few and save the pitching.

After we inevitably expand to 32 teams, I would like to see geographic alignment of two 16-team conferences, each with two 8-team divisions. You play the seven teams in your division in 4 three-game series, the other division in your conference in two 3-game series (one home and one away for each opponent), and one of the divisions in the other conference in one 3-game series (half the teams home, half away). This would total 156 games, giving us the extra week we want for slightly expanded playoffs. Obviously you would rotate the nonconference opponent division and sites, so each team would play in each stadium on a 4-year cycle. Baseball is a regional sport; the amount I care about an opponent franchise strictly decreases with how far they are from my team. I imagine the majority of fans are like this.

The four division winners would then qualify directly into the divisional series and host a BO7. Second place in each division would host a BO3 wildcard series. The next two highest-placed teams in each conference would face the division runners up in the wildcard round, with seeding according to regular season records. This allows for 4 teams to qualify from a single division if it is much stronger than the other. Reseeding after the wildcard round would then ensure that the team with the best record in each conference would face the weakest remaining opponent in the division series. I think those couple of changes plus maybe the idea of starting the division series the day after game 3's of the wildcard round to reduce the lower seeded team's ability to line up their pitching would do a better job of rewarding regular-season play.

Right now a large issue with the Manfred playoff system is that the incentives to continually finish higher in the standings don't always line up. For example, it is almost always preferable to be a 6 seed over a 5. The 3 seed being the weakest division winner will usually have a worse record than the number 1 wildcard and there is no gurantee that they are better than the number 2 wildcard. The other issue is comparing the two best division winners. Without reseeding, any time the 6 beats the 3, then the 1 is getting a more difficult opponent than the 2 in the division series. A hypothetical home field advantage (contingent on the 1 and 2 seeds both qualifying) in the championship series isn't enough of an advantage to offset this.

I agree with pretty much this entire post.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Would be really weird for a Japanese superprospect to go to college in Tennessee but what I do I know

Vanderbilt is a baseball powerhouse

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Popete posted:

Vanderbilt is a baseball powerhouse

I bet he’ll make plenty of NIL money going to a big school too.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Troxartas posted:

I bet he’ll make plenty of NIL money going to a big school too.

There was an article about this - student visas prohibit the kind of arrangements in NIL deals. International student athletes are all-but barred from signing NIL deals.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Poque posted:

I agree with pretty much this entire post.

The reincarnation of oystertoadfish

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://x.com/we_are_met_fans/status/1711022721608368506?s=46

just lolmets

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'd also like to manage the Mets, so I'm telling you all, my friends. Someone get Cohen on the phone. Pretty sure I can fill out a lineup card and make the team wear silly costumes.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

We’ll just gonna pop over here now

gently caress baseball
Until 2024 at least

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am also interested in managing the mets

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Joe Maddon + New York Media would be something to behold

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Joe Maddon + New York Media would be something to behold

:doit: :doit: :doit:

Also I will always love Joe Maddon, gently caress the haters

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Despite... everything currently going on against Texas, it's hard to take this year as anything other than an unqualified success, everyone thought we were going to regress after a 20+ win season last year, and then we went and won another 20 more games this year. Obviously the Yankees and Red Sox probably aren't going to eat poo poo like they did this year, so I don't expect to win 100 games again, but Gunnar and Adley have proven themselves to be legit, Bradish took a huge step forward, second half Grayson looks every bit the ace we hoped he would be, and Means is back. Losing Felix sucks, but the bullpen is full of castoffs and spare parts anyway, so I trust Elias to come up with a few more next year.

This is just the absolute worst way to end a phenomenal season. :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maddon gets the Mets job, but he has to keep that mohawk or whatever he had from the end of his time in LA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Artix posted:

Despite... everything currently going on against Texas, it's hard to take this year as anything other than an unqualified success, everyone thought we were going to regress after a 20+ win season last year, and then we went and won another 20 more games this year. Obviously the Yankees and Red Sox probably aren't going to eat poo poo like they did this year, so I don't expect to win 100 games again, but Gunnar and Adley have proven themselves to be legit, Bradish took a huge step forward, second half Grayson looks every bit the ace we hoped he would be, and Means is back. Losing Felix sucks, but the bullpen is full of castoffs and spare parts anyway, so I trust Elias to come up with a few more next year.

This is just the absolute worst way to end a phenomenal season. :smith:
They still badly need pitching. I'm just not sure that ownership is going to be willing to spend to get it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat RIP O’s. Very fun season to follow, though. Feels like they only had a couple blowout wins this year and scraped together nail biters the rest of the way. I know they’re missing a consistent power threat (which hopefully one of the young guys develops into) but Angelos is going to need to shell out for some starting pitching if he wants this window to stay open.