Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

Western Europe, the US, Canada. An estimated 15% of Israeli settlers are from the U.S. originally. Netanyahu is from Philly.

The original post wasn't about just that 15% of settlers. We're talking about 7 million Israeli Jews, the vast majority have spent their whole lives in Israel, their whole families are there, they have no other citizenship.

Seriously think about what it would mean for a refugee population of 7 million Jews to try to get into the West, based on how it's gone for other refugees. It's very easy to understand why this isn't a workable solution.

Not to mention that your solution is "stop the occupation of Palestine by furthering the occupation of Native American land." What happens when the Native Americans rise up and take their land back? Or do they not have that right, only the Palestinians do?

Sir Fontlebottom posted:

Literally anywhere else in the world would probably be safer and less hostile than the current location. I know it can't possibly be that easy, but good lord anything would be easier than what is currently going on.

Respectfully I don't think you've put a lot of thought into this. Can you think of a specific part of the world where 7 million Jewish refugees could resettle and it wouldn't be a humanitarian disaster?

The vast majority of Israelis are stuck in Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Majorian posted:

Western Europe, the US, Canada. An estimated 15% of Israeli settlers are from the U.S. originally. Netanyahu is from Philly.
Western Europe has both a history of coexistence with the Jewish people and a welcoming attitude towards immigrants these days, it is true.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The one thing that always confused me is how Palestine became a darling of the left. Like, a Palestinian state would probably stone a bunch of you to death, treat others like chattel? The people certainly deserve basic rights, Israel is evil in so many ways, but you have queer Palestinians fleeing *into* Israel to escape oppression - shouldn’t that be a factor for any progressive?

solidarity isn't conditional; this is why many people on the left have a hard time trusting liberals who hold the notion that aid in liberation *is* conditional, often on oppressed ppl being nice to them or meeting some vague moral standard, it can seem arbitrary and flaky- you can always always always find *some* reason not to help someone

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Netanyahu was Born in Tel-Aviv and his father was born in Poland.

My mistake, he spent several of his childhood years in Philly:

quote:

Between 1956 and 1958, and again from 1963 to 1967, his family lived in the United States in Cheltenham Township, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia, while father Benzion Netanyahu taught at Dropsie College.

Nessus posted:

Western Europe has both a history of coexistence with the Jewish people and a welcoming attitude towards immigrants these days, it is true.

The Western Europe of 2023 seems considerably safer for Jewish people than Israel/Palestine. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

e:

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The original post wasn't about just that 15% of settlers. We're talking about 7 million Israeli Jews, the vast majority have spent their whole lives in Israel, their whole families are there, they have no other citizenship.

Seriously think about what it would mean for a refugee population of 7 million Jews to try to get into the West, based on how it's gone for other refugees. It's very easy to understand why this isn't a workable solution.

Not to mention that your solution is "stop the occupation of Palestine by furthering the occupation of Native American land." What happens when the Native Americans rise up and take their land back? Or do they not have that right, only the Palestinians do?

Well, first of all I'm not suggesting that they necessarily should all leave Israel/Palestine. I don't think that's a workable solution. I'm just rebutting the claim that they have nowhere else to go. That's not strictly true for all of them, and it's certainly not true to the extent that it's true of the Palestinian people, particularly the people of Gaza.

As far as "furthering the occupation of Native American land" is concerned, conveniently, I think finding a way to pay reparations for stolen land would be a great first step in healing both of these patterns of mass injustice.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 10, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

My mistake, he spent several of his childhood years in Philly:

The Western Europe of 2023 seems considerably safer for Jewish people than Israel/Palestine. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.
Add a million new Jewish arrivals and I’m not so sure that stays true.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Israeli emigrants to those countries increased in volume in the near future. But I don’t think it would be a huge total.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Netanyahu was Born in Tel-Aviv and his father was born in Poland.

That book The Netanyahu's is a pretty fun, semi-fictionalised account of the family when Bibi was a little kid (and by all accounts a little poo poo who would grow to be a massive turd)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Nessus posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Israeli emigrants to those countries increased in volume in the near future. But I don’t think it would be a huge total.

Those arrivals would be predominantly white and Europeanized. We're not talking about refugees from Libya.

Then your answer wasn't relevant to the context of my question, which was someone saying they should all pack up and go.

You literally asked "Leave for where?" and I answered your question. It was an entirely pertinent answer.

quote:

I don't know how to read this except "the Israeli refugees are welcome in the US... as long as they can pay up!"

You should read it as, "American citizens living on stolen indigenous land should pay reparations through taxes, preferably into social programs for indigenous people. Israeli citizens living on stolen land should do the same for Palestinian people."

quote:

Where do the Israelis go who aren't "white and Europeanized"?

I'm not saying anyone should go anywhere.

quote:

I would find this line of thought much more intellectually honest if it was just what I've seen actual Palestinians say - "gently caress them, I don't care if they all die on the sea, they just need to go." It's the hateful logic of land conflicts but it doesn't pretend that being a refugee is safe.

Do you honestly think that Israelis don't say literally the same thing about Palestinians regularly? The only difference is, Israel has the capacity to make this a reality for the Palestinians.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 10, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

You should think about how that would change with a colossal influx of Jewish refugees.

quote:

Well, first of all I'm not suggesting that they necessarily should all leave Israel/Palestine. I don't think that's a workable solution. I'm just rebutting the claim that they have nowhere else to go. That's not strictly true for all of them, and it's certainly not true to the extent that it's true of the Palestinian people, particularly the people of Gaza.

Then your answer wasn't relevant to the context of my question, which was someone saying they should all pack up and go.

quote:

As far as "furthering the occupation of Native American land" is concerned, conveniently, I think finding a way to pay reparations for stolen land would be a great first step in healing both of these patterns of mass injustice.

If reparations are a credible solution, then the Israelis should just stay in Israel and give reparations to the Palestinians.

There is no solution to this problem that involves figuring out a better arrangement for which ethnicities get to live where. We don't get a mulligan on the Jewish question, or to try one of Herzl's alternative sites, "oh this time let's try Uganda!" The Jews can't serve as rotating colonizers - a hundred years with the Palestinians as the indigenous, a hundred with Native Americans, maybe next we can occupy some Aboriginal Australians, or invade Poland, that'd be ironic.

The only solution is a state that can protect the rights of whoever lives in the region regardless of culture-religion-ethnicity.

Majorian posted:

Those arrivals would be predominantly white and Europeanized. We're not talking about refugees from Libya.

In Europe Jews are White until they're a problem, then they're not. Mass refuge-seeking in Europe would make them a problem. It would put them, and the Jews already living there, in danger.

And where do the Israelis go who aren't "white and Europeanized"?

I would find this line of thought much more intellectually honest if it was just what I've seen actual Palestinians say - "gently caress them, I don't care if they all die on the sea, they just need to go." It's tough but it doesn't pretend that it's actually realistic for 7 million people to evacuate their country and find refuge elsewhere.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 10, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

By "primary source" I am referring to the video of Shani Louk's mother (or at least someone who is claiming to be her mother, who looks exactly the same as the woman of the same name who is claiming to be her mother in an interview with CNN https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/10/09/israel-music-festival-shani-louk-mother-vpx.cnn), not the Bild article itself. I should have been more clear - sorry about that.
And again - definitely possible that she's been contacted by someone who a) is lying about being from hamas or b) is hamas, but is lying to her about her daughter being alive

For what it's worth: in the video the mother is saying that she has "information that Shani is alive". Bild then quotes her saying that she received indications from "Palestinian sources" that her daughter is alive and in a "Hamas hospital". There is no mention of her being contacted by Hamas representatives or any information on who these sources are. She made the video to create pressure on the German government to bring her home.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

If you’re talking a few tens of thousands of middle class migrants you’re probably right. If you’re talking a substantial chunk of Israel’s current population… well, I don’t share your confidence. Maybe it would be different this time around.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The one thing that always confused me is how Palestine became a darling of the left. Like, a Palestinian state would probably stone a bunch of you to death, treat others like chattel? The people certainly deserve basic rights, Israel is evil in so many ways, but you have queer Palestinians fleeing *into* Israel to escape oppression - shouldn’t that be a factor for any progressive?

I think some folks consider what is right, and not what would most personally help us as individuals.

I feel like that's a big rift between folks in politics.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

If you’re talking a few tens of thousands of middle class migrants you’re probably right. If you’re talking a substantial chunk of Israel’s current population… well, I don’t share your confidence. Maybe it would be different this time around.

Yeah, again, to be clear, I don't think Israelis just up-and-leaving en masse is a workable solution at this point in time. I do, however, think it's important to be reflective when we talk about people who have nowhere else to go. The Palestinian people, particularly those living in Gaza, truly have no way out of this situation. It is either resist and be killed or don't resist and be killed.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

You literally asked "Leave for where?" and I answered your question. It was an entirely pertinent answer.

I was responding to someone saying the whole country should pack up and go.

Sir Fontlebottom posted:

Personally I have long felt that Israel should just pack up and leave the area completely as they are obviously not welcome and it wasn't their land to begin with.

Obviously SOME Israelis have the opportunity to move somewhere else. Everyone knows that. The question was, where can the whole country go? The answer is, nowhere. Israel is stuck in Israel.

quote:

Do you honestly think that Israelis don't say literally the same thing about Palestinians regularly?

No, and I didn't say anything to imply I think this. You just made a dumb thought so you could correct it.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, again, to be clear, I don't think Israelis just up-and-leaving en masse is a workable solution at this point in time. I do, however, think it's important to be reflective when we talk about people who have nowhere else to go. The Palestinian people, particularly those living in Gaza, truly have no way out of this situation. It is either resist and be killed or don't resist and be killed.

Yeah this is all agreeable, I think you just missed the context that I was responding to someone who literally believes "Israelis just up-and-leaving en masse is a workable solution at this point in time."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 10, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nessin posted:

Have they tried to get cooperation for this kind of plan instead of forcing Isreal to make concessions?

First, what does Isreal have to do with it? The Palestinian Authority would be the one relinquishing control now. Isreal might have a problem with that and could certainly impact such a deal, but it's not a given and Isreal itself isn't the one that would hand it over. Furthermore do you really think Isreal cares so much about the physical land Gaza occupies and people on it that they'd reject a deal where all the problems associated with it go away and are in someone elses hands?

I know the futility of trying to argue these points on this forum, so I won't even try.

Someone yesterday posted a graph of attacks that broke a ceasefire in 2008 and it wasn't just Isreal. There are also numerous records of attacks out of Gaza since 2005, launched by the organization that also holds the majority of the Gaza Palestinian Authority government seats. Do you honestly believe what you've written? And even if you do, do you honestly and sincerely believe that the Isreal's have no justification to see it as otherwise?

[

Yes, but there was a two year gap there where the PLO went back and did nothing. Worse, they continue to stoke the aggressive ferver of their people instead of trying to work to a rapid resolution of the 5 year plan from the Oslo Accords. Then there was the 2000 Camp David Accords, where the Palestinians outright acknowledged they were not interested in good faith discussions to try and restore the Oslo plan.

I think the thing you're missing here is that for Israel, giving the Gaza Strip to someone else is a concession. If Israel didn't want the Gaza Strip, they could easily have given it back to Egypt at the end of the Six-Day War in the first place, the way they did with the Sinai. Israel kept Gaza at the end of the war because they wanted the Gaza Strip, just like they wanted the West Bank. They'd love to get rid of the people there, but the physical land is territory they fully intend to keep.

The 2008 ceasefire was with Hamas in Gaza, not with the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank. And given that you seem to have some understanding of the political organization of the Palestinian Authority and the issues involved in the 2006 Palestinian Authority elections, I'm surprised you're mixing that up. If you had asked if Hamas could prove they could be "good non-terrorist housing neighbors", then that would be one thing. But you asked if Palestinians could be good non-terrorist neighbors, so you can't ignore the peaceful standing the West Bank has been on since 2005.

Not sure exactly what you're talking about with the two-year period here. Could you be referring to the two years between the expiration of Oslo's five-year transition period (which ended in 1998) and the effective collapse of the Oslo Accords in 2000? If so, that was largely due to Israel dragging its feet on the staged withdrawals and transfers of authority.

As for Camp David, I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but I'm quite sure that the Palestinians did not "outright [acknowledge] they were not interested in good faith discussions to try and restore the Oslo plan". For one thing, the point of the Camp David Accords was not to "restore the Oslo plan", but rather to handle all of the issues Oslo had deferred for some future agreement to solve. As for the rest, I assume you're making an exaggerated reference to Israeli and American claims that the Palestinians were offered a great deal and rejected it out of spite and greed. But those claims have aged quite poorly. Having seen how Israel has conducted itself in the West Bank since then, it's quite clear in hindsight that American negotiators ignored a number of substantial problems with the Israeli demands at Camp David, and failed to fully appreciate the importance of some of the points the Palestinians had insisted on.

While I don't agree with "all Israelis should pack up and leave Israel", it's worth noting that no one asked this question of the 6 million Palestinian refugees who fled Israeli massacres and were unable to return. They'd spent their whole lives in Palestine (though now there's many who have spent their whole lives in refugee camps), they didn't have any other citizenship, and so on. As much as we talk about the plight of the 5 million Palestinians within Israel and the Palestinian territories, that's actually less than the number of Palestinians who live outside the Palestinian territories countries as refugees, driven from their homes in 1948 or 1967, and very little attention is paid to their plight.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Majorian posted:

You do know about half of Israeli Jews are from the Middle East and North Africa, right?

They were expelled from their countries and don't hold another citizenship (nor do the majority of Ashkenazi Israeli Jews, despite being from Europe).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nessus posted:

They would need something like work permits first unless they plan to fly to Europe and seek asylum, in which case I guarantee you Israel will be rated as a safe country if Afghanistan was rated so just before Taliban took over.

Dual citizens apart of course and people with family in EU might have it easier.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kiminewt posted:

You do know about half of Israeli Jews are from the Middle East and North Africa, right?

They were expelled from their countries and don't hold another citizenship (nor do the majority of Ashkenazi Israeli Jews, despite being from Europe).

I'm very aware of this, yes. The Mizrahim and Sephardim face pretty serious discrimination in Israel. Again, I don't think Israeli mass migration is a workable solution.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

While I don't agree with "all Israelis should pack up and leave Israel", it's worth noting that no one asked this question of the 6 million Palestinian refugees who fled Israeli massacres and were unable to return. They'd spent their whole lives in Palestine (though now there's many who have spent their whole lives in refugee camps), they didn't have any other citizenship, and so on. As much as we talk about the plight of the 5 million Palestinians within Israel and the Palestinian territories, that's actually less than the number of Palestinians who live outside the Palestinian territories countries as refugees, driven from their homes in 1948 or 1967, and very little attention is paid to their plight.

Yes, the Jewish question (where should the Jewish diaspora go and how should the be integrated into the local culture and economy) was solved by creating a Palestinian diaspora and opening the Palestinian question, and now we have users here saying the only solution to the Palestinian question is to re-open the Jewish question.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nenonen posted:

They would need something like work permits first unless they plan to fly to Europe and seek asylum, in which case I guarantee you Israel will be rated as a safe country if Afghanistan was rated so just before Taliban took over.

Dual citizens apart of course and people with family in EU might have it easier.
Right, this was some hypothetical voluntary migration. Presumably an involuntary one would go horrifically.

This one comes from honest ignorance: People in the Palestinian Territories can’t go to Jordan or Egypt? I heard Egypt was bracing for refugees. It’s not exactly close to Egypts large cities of course.

E: for clarity I am not saying “they can all just go there”, I was wondering if there were mechanisms preventing individuals from doing so for jobs/better situations/etc.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 10, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

kiminewt posted:

This is completely irrelevant to the point you're making, but as a minor nitpick quite a few Israelis who are from or have North African roots actually have or are eligible for European citizenship thanks to the French colonisation that was happening there at the time.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Peanut Butler posted:

solidarity isn't conditional; this is why many people on the left have a hard time trusting liberals who hold the notion that aid in liberation *is* conditional, often on oppressed ppl being nice to them or meeting some vague moral standard, it can seem arbitrary and flaky- you can always always always find *some* reason not to help someone

But it is by necessity conditional as long as resources are not infinite. For instance i dont expect socialists to provide financial aid to settler with businesses in the overun areas that end up financially ruined by this war. Thats not going to be the priority.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kind of curious where the Ethiopian Israelis are supposed to go in this dream of a Jewish free Israel.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nessus posted:

This one comes from honest ignorance: People in the Palestinian Territories can’t go to Jordan or Egypt? I heard Egypt was bracing for refugees. It’s not exactly close to Egypts large cities of course.

E: for clarity I am not saying “they can all just go there”, I was wondering if there were mechanisms preventing individuals from doing so for jobs/better situations/etc.

No, not really. This is a massive oversimplification of the situation, but pretty much every country that would take refugees voluntarily without exigent circumstances has taken as many as they want to. Egypt's preparation for refugees now would just be in recognition of the reality of the situation that Palestinians in Gaza being bombed out of their homes are likely to try and move across the border, but the Egyptian government doesn't necessarily want those 2 million Gazans to do that.

edit: This isn't the entire picture but it gives some idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_refugee_camps

Nancy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 10, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baudolino posted:

But it is by necessity conditional as long as resources are not infinite. For instance i dont expect socialists to provide financial aid to settler with businesses in the overun areas that end up financially ruined by this war. Thats not going to be the priority.

The entire point of socialism is that everyone gets it. The financially-ruined settler would have just as much right to financial assistance as anyone else under a well-designed socialist system.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like this "decolonization via ethnic cleansing" idea is not the best. Just a personal hunch.

I don't think you solve this problem by making a bunch of people homeless or stateless, just like that was a really lovely way to create Israel in the first place! What you do is dismantle the Apartheid power structures and create a country where human rights are not routinely denied, for anyone. It's a politically impossible goal, but there's no reason it couldn't work apart from lack of will to do it. Apartheid wasn't ended in South Africa by kicking all the white people out and forcing them to wander the world, stateless.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PT6A posted:

I feel like this "decolonization via ethnic cleansing" idea is not the best. Just a personal hunch.

I think the only person to float the idea was Sir Fontlebottom, and I don't think they were floating it as a serious, workable plan for achieving peace in the region. I don't think anyone itt supports "decolonization via ethnic cleansing."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nancy posted:

No, not really. This is a massive oversimplification of the situation, but pretty much every country that would take refugees voluntarily without exigent circumstances has taken as many as they want to. Egypt's preparation for refugees now would just be in recognition of the reality of the situation that Palestinians in Gaza being bombed out of their homes are likely to try and move across the border, but the Egyptian government doesn't necessarily want those 2 million Gazans to do that.

edit: This isn't the entire picture but it gives some idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_refugee_camps
Yeesh. The Kuwaiti part was like an added side dish of bullshit with the horseshit entree.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KillHour posted:

The entire point of socialism is that everyone gets it. The financially-ruined settler would have just as much right to financial assistance as anyone else under a well-designed socialist system.

But thats not world we live rigth now. So are you really not going to prioritize in the mean time?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
Aside from the dubious claims of beheading babies and the murder of Shani Louk, the claims of rape are also completely unsubstantiated.

https://twitter.com/LexiAlex/status/1711853638661128222/photo/1

It also looks like the IDF has been executing some of the people they catch on sight

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1711796259315396793

Which in the grand scheme of war crimes or crimes against humanity over the last few days probably isn't much but hey, it's always worth paying lip service to the idea of Ruach Tzahal, right

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Baudolino posted:

But thats not world we live rigth now. So are you really not going to prioritize in the mean time?

I honestly have no idea what you're asking. I already said that the point is that everyone is entitled to financial aid. Gaining enough power to institute a new system and then saying "you were a dirty horrible colonizer so you can starve" is just doing the same thing - going around and around in circles of resentment and revenge. You prioritize based on need, not who is "deserving."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The two videos that strongly suggest sexual assault are the one of a woman with a bleeding crotch being taken out of a van in Gaza, and the one with Shani Louk (dead? unconscious?) being paraded naked around Gaza. Neither is definitive proof of rape but both are extremely strong evidence that will almost certainly be corroborated soon.

It also seems extremely unlikely that this isn't part of a wider trend given that we have two separate videos.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 10, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Aside from the dubious claims of beheading babies and the murder of Shani Louk, the claims of rape are also completely unsubstantiated.

https://twitter.com/LexiAlex/status/1711853638661128222/photo/1

The sexual assaults are on video and a separate video shows them stripping a woman down to their underwear and another bleeding from her genitals, which highly suggests rape.

That was posted earlier and is a correction to an opinion column written by Jonah Goldberg where he mentioned rape in a different scenario. The opinion piece is here: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-10-09/israel-hamas-attacks-failure-security-surveillance-blame

Please stop taking random contextless Twitter accounts as gospel.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 10, 2023

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The two videos that strongly suggest sexual assault are the one of a woman with a bleeding crotch being taken out of a van in Gaza, and the one with Shani Louk (dead? unconscious?) being paraded naked around Gaza. Neither is definitive proof of rape but both are extremely strong evidence that will almost certainly be corroborated soon.

It also seems extremely unlikely that this isn't part of a wider trend given that we have two separate videos.

The video showed a woman with blood on her light trousers who much more likely was sitting in a pool of blood. Shani Louk was not naked. She'd been at a rave and is alive in intensive care.

It could well be that there was rape. But 'I've seen a video with blood on trousers' is not proof that people have been raped. This stuff matters and you can tell it does because 'These Palestinian animal rapist baby-beheaders must be destroyed' is a common refrain used online at the moment to shut down any discussion and to promote the starvation, terminal dehydration or ethnic cleansing of Gazans.

Please stop making forensic leaps from a couple of videos you've found online.

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 10, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Hong XiuQuan posted:

The video showed a woman with blood on her light trousers who much more likely was sitting in a pool of blood. Shani Louk was not naked. She'd been at a rave and is alive in intensive care.

It could well be that there was rape. But 'I've seen a video with blood on trousers' is not proof that people have been raped. This stuff matters and you can tell it does because 'These Palestinian animal rapist baby-beheaders must be destroyed' is a common refrain used online at the moment to shut down any discussion and to promote the starvation, terminal dehydration or ethnic cleansing of Gazans.

I think you might have broken your brain, dude.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

Right, this was some hypothetical voluntary migration. Presumably an involuntary one would go horrifically.

A lot of them already did. That's especially true for Jordan - Palestinian refugees actually make up roughly a quarter of Jordan's current population.

The neighboring countries aren't particularly inclined to take any more refugees, for various reasons. First of all, because it's a rather large number of broke refugees for some fairly poor countries that have already taken quite a few refugees (not only from Palestine but also from other humanitarian disasters in the region, like Syria). Also, there's the fact that these were supposed to be temporary refugees, and have since realized that Israel has no intention of ever allowing Palestinian refugees to return.

Most importantly, they've developed a sense that Israel and the rest of the international community are making them unwilling participants in sweeping the Palestinian plight under the rug and erasing Palestinian national identity altogether. They took lots of Syrian War refugees, but the international community recognized the Syrian war crimes for what they were and applied heavy international pressure to try to stop the war crimes. That's very different from how the international community has treated the Palestinian refugee crisis. Israel's neighbors have come to the conclusion that once all the Palestinians have been driven out of Palestine, the ethnic cleansing of Palestine will be swiftly forgotten. And I find it hard to confidently say that they're wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

It should be a factor, but it's certainly not a factor that trumps deserving basic rights.

As someone who doesn't have a dog in this fight, I have no personal problems with a one-state solution if that's the best way to get basic rights for as many Palestinians as possible. But the state of Israel has several million problems with giving rights to more than a tiny trickle of asylum seekers; as a minority-rule state, as soon as it gives basic rights to its majority demographic it would cease to exist as a concept. Giving up the occupied territories and declaring the inhabitants someone else's problem would "fix" the problem, but is also a political nonstarter; Israel wants the land but not the people, so literally the only way forward for Israel in its current configuration is to reduce the number of Palestinians in the occupied territories by one method or another.

EDIT: to be clear I am not saying this as an endorsement, just stating that this is the path Israel is currently committed to.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 10, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It also looks like the IDF has been executing some of the people they catch on sight

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1711796259315396793

Which in the grand scheme of war crimes or crimes against humanity over the last few days probably isn't much but hey, it's always worth paying lip service to the idea of Ruach Tzahal, right

Can you explain in more detail what's going on in that video? What is the IDF soldier saying? Do I understand correctly that the implication is that the four men with guns tried to surrender, but Israeli soldiers killed them? The tweet says they exchanged fire, but it's hard to make out anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I feel like if within mere sentences in the same post you pivot from "these plausible inferences are not fully substantiated at this time" to "it looks like IDF soldiers are executing captives" you might want to either recalibrate your evidentiary standards or explain further.

e: tbc this is me speaking as a poster not a mod on this

and yes, best case scenario exhibiting the bodies of the dudes you killed in combat is frowned upon

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I thought it was also a war crime to show off dead soldiers on film as you brag about killing them.
Or is that only a war crime when Russia does it in Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I feel like if within mere sentences in the same post you pivot from "these plausible inferences are not fully substantiated at this time" to "it looks like IDF soldiers are executing captives" you might want to either recalibrate your evidentiary standards or explain further.

I’d also argue the requirement to fully substantiate other crimes given those inferences is removed given video evidence of shooting unarmed concert-enjoyers in the head at point blank range.