Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

Wait, what's this about power creep?

I suppose I should ask what really defines a good ID, other than colors/damage types. Just focusing on the max numbers on the coins, or...?

She used to barely edge out most enemies clash-wise but starting in S2 enemy numbers nudged up a bit to the point where she's outgunned a lot of the time, and she doesn't really have the bulk to take a hit at all. 7 Faust and UT4 L Faust both clash better and supply Fluid Sac. On top of that early Canto 4 enemies gun for her weaknesses and she dies when anything looks at her funny.

in S1 she had no real downsides and was on every single team fluid sac or no so she still had her time in the sun.

e: This is subjective but for me generally what defines a good ID is coin strength and number(if these are bad then they better do something amazing or be super bulky to make up for it), self-sufficiency(how well they can manage if you shove them into any random team comp) teamwork(how much they add/excel in their specific gimmick team if applicable), EGO(how much they synergize with their own EGO, whether that's fueling them or taking advantage of their effects), and most importantly how cool they are.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

N Faust is really good still, in a full N Corp team, but as far as generic use goes she no longer can protect herself well enough to be worth it most of the time.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, that's mostly what I meant. NFaust probably provided a lot of support for my blunt/pierce dps, but in the end 7Faust has better sins for the EGO I use and better clashing, and she's more useful at my hardest fights (Fox and Lantern).

It doesn't help she got no meaningful buffs from UT4 due to being good. Most notably her S3 being one of the worst in the game (like, 12 max potency? Needs 2 turbs of Nails for a 50% boost to the 3rd coin?)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

AOE Attack Power Down on the next turn seems pretty good.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

AOE Attack Power Down on the next turn seems pretty good.
That's a pretty excellent survival passive.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I can't believe Mr. Revenge Himself connects so well with The Karma Abnormality

But seriously this just looks crazy good

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Also, guaranteed SP restore for 4 allies. Unless the numbers are stupidly low, this is a pretty powerful EGO.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
They are trying to give us viable alternatives to Pursuance and Fluid Sac, though Fluid Sac does have the bonus of doing both at the same time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So question, of all the out of all the non-000 Ids, which is the second best at clashing (LCR Faust stands alone)? I've been runing Talisman Sinclair in my second free starting slot for MD2H but I'd like to see if I can replace him with someone better.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If you care only about clashing then Sloshmael has S1-10, S2-13 and S3-22 clashing power. :v:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Shi Don has an LBFaust level S3 (albeit only one coin) and a great passive if using any other slash IDs. 7Ryoshu has a worse S3 in exchabge for a really good S2. I usually go for them if not using a 000 id for those two.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Shi Don has an LBFaust level S3 (albeit only one coin) and a great passive if using any other slash IDs. 7Ryoshu has a worse S3 in exchabge for a really good S2. I usually go for them if not using a 000 id for those two.

I'm runnging W Corp for both, so those two are out.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aumanor posted:

So question, of all the out of all the non-000 Ids, which is the second best at clashing (LCR Faust stands alone)? I've been runing Talisman Sinclair in my second free starting slot for MD2H but I'd like to see if I can replace him with someone better.

Molar Yi Sang and Kleinhammer Heathcliff (if in an N Corp team), I think.

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you care only about clashing then Sloshmael has S1-10, S2-13 and S3-22 clashing power. :v:

The average is about ~11, ~16, and ~19 so she's kinda eh anyways.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Aumanor posted:

I'm runnging W Corp for both, so those two are out.
G Outis has served me well. W Hong and maybe Zwei Rodion seem like they could be good choices, Hong for charge stuff and Rodion for all those Poise gifts, but that's not something I have practice in.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah G Outis is a decent One Coin Hero though getting her going can be an issue if her rolls aren't cooperating. But if you just need someone to win clashes you could do worse.

W Hong is just okay clash-wise but his shields make him a bit more sturdy overall so he can take some lumps

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yinlock posted:

Yeah G Outis is a decent One Coin Hero though getting her going can be an issue if her rolls aren't cooperating. But if you just need someone to win clashes you could do worse.

W Hong is just okay clash-wise but his shields make him a bit more sturdy overall so he can take some lumps
And if you get his charge going he can pass them around, which is also nice! Not a certain thing, depending on the length of the fight, but a nice bonus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yinlock posted:

yeah i'm very happy with Wong Lu given my already somewhat chargey team

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I just started RR2, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something with the Fox. It seems like it stacks enough protection on the first two turns that you aren't expected to deal much damage, then has one turn in which it gets enough counters that you're not supposed to attack it at all, then a single turn in which it gets a few stacks of fragility, before repeating the cycle
Are you supposed to try to keep the rupture up? Are you supposed to use a bleed build? It had enough health that even with a decent burst set up, I only got it down to 40% health, and it seems like you're supposed to be able to take these bosses down in one cycle

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

you're supposed to do as much damage hitting its weaknesses before the umbrellas spawn, nuke the umbrellas down and those will provide a stacking rupture debuff.

It's not a great fight.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

PlasticAutomaton posted:

you're supposed to do as much damage hitting its weaknesses before the umbrellas spawn, nuke the umbrellas down and those will provide a stacking rupture debuff.

It's not a great fight.

You also want to break its head ASAP to reduce the Protection it gains and letting you unload their sin weakness with any weapon type. Applies to most fights in truth.

Also finally realized why Centipide is so awful: the loving UI hides the self-charge in combat when it gains it ON combat. So you basically wanna make sure you kill it AFTER you clash with his every skill because otherwise he will cancel them, and double his not visible self-charge. And since Self-charge is neutral at best for him (you have to win every clash if you want him to stay at 0) it's very easy to end up with "oops you killed him first clash so he has 6 self charge. have fun removing the now 12 in the next 4 turns!". Worse is when you want to clash his big skill after you make him lose charge but oops, too fast and also Rodion is attracting all attacks because Aggro, gently caress you.

watchedclock
Mar 23, 2023

You also want to break its head ASAP to reduce the Protection it gains and letting you unload their sin weakness with any weapon type. Applies to most fights in truth.

Also finally realized why Centipide is so awful: the loving UI hides the self-charge in combat when it gains it ON combat. So you basically wanna make sure you kill it AFTER you clash with his every skill because otherwise he will cancel them, and double his not visible self-charge. And since Self-charge is neutral at best for him (you have to win every clash if you want him to stay at 0) it's very easy to end up with "oops you killed him first clash so he has 6 self charge. have fun removing the now 12 in the next 4 turns!". Worse is when you want to clash his big skill after you make him lose charge but oops, too fast and also Rodion is attracting all attacks because Aggro, gently caress you.

I find that Crow’s Eye View is really valuable in this fight; there’s like two specific turns when I usually find myself getting outsped and using it the turn before guarentees I can clash the next turn. You could do the inverse with Chains of Others too, but I prefer bringing Yi Sang to Mersault

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah i'm very happy with Wong Lu given my already somewhat chargey team

really you can just close your eyes and throw a dart at a board of hong lu ids and find a winner, guy is blessed

well liu hong doesn't work outside of a burn team but you know what i mean

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's not a great fight.

killing the umbrellas is also to offset the 20 sp nuke it hits you with. it's not a bad fight but really annoying to finish quickly

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah that's what i meant when i said centipede has to go perfectly to finish it within par, you gotta break the head on turn 1 and also win every single clash and also make sure it only hits 1 hp after you've won every clash that turn. super huge pain in the rear end. i just keep trying until i get a run that goes well enough and eat a wasted turn

it also loves outspeeding you and focusing down one sinner like an rear end in a top hat

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not some mega pro or anything that can get it under 100 turns but wow: RR2 wasn't fun at all!!

The only fight I liked was Wayward Passenger, the rest ranged from boring (T Corp, Wario and Waluigi) to just miserable (Fox, Shock Centipede, Steam running on an old macbook).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

watchedclock posted:

I find that Crow’s Eye View is really valuable in this fight; there’s like two specific turns when I usually find myself getting outsped and using it the turn before guarentees I can clash the next turn. You could do the inverse with Chains of Others too, but I prefer bringing Yi Sang to Mersault

Man I always forget about the Bind he does. Specially cause on Centipede it would be actual damage given its weakness to Sloth.

Yinlock posted:

yeah that's what i meant when i said centipede has to go perfectly to finish it within par, you gotta break the head on turn 1 and also win every single clash and also make sure it only hits 1 hp after you've won every clash that turn. super huge pain in the rear end. i just keep trying until i get a run that goes well enough and eat a wasted turn

it also loves outspeeding you and focusing down one sinner like an rear end in a top hat

Well I managed 5 turns my last attempt, and while it took endless resets due to lovely T2 or not dying on T4 if you can get it to like 2 self charge by the time you kill it at the very least it should die when clashing next turn.

Also funnily enough I do like Wayward Passenger: he can be tricky if unmanaged but unlike every other boss in this train he doesn't overstay his welcome. Also I actually liked the Fairy bros fight, but that might be the fact MD2H Fairy Long Legs goves me PTSD and Refracted is a joke in comparison.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Here's a mental exercise: How would you have made RR2 fun, while keeping the loop gimmick?

Personally, I'd have reduced the loops to 3, but had you fight all the enemies each loop. I'd have also increased the number of people you can bring to a fight per loop, starting with 7 on the first run and ending with all 12 on the last.

The biggest difference is that I'd make more of a focus on the fights changing each loop, like how Fairy Gentleman got a buddy the second time around. Mostly this'd take the form of adds - T Corp would get merged into the Steam Transport Machine and show up to support it in the second loop by adding or removing time from its counter, for example, so if you play it right you could potentially get multiple Fragile turns in a row. So That No One Will Cry will get users of its EGO, Wayward Passenger would get a W Corp cleanup crew, Drifting Fox would get Alleyway Watchdog and Headless Ichthys backing it up in a rerun of the RR1 fight etc etc. I'd also merge Fae Lantern and Fairy Gentleman, where after you beat the Lantern a cutscene plays where the Gentlemen appears to grab the Lantern's fairy, crush it, and put it in his drink before fighting you himself. With this in mind, Fae Lantern would probably be the first fight with that acting as an introduction to how things work in the extra loops.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 11, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, someone who used the English option in the TGS demo took a picture of some dialogue that might confirm something:

Ahab's a woman now.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GilliamYaeger posted:

Here's a mental exercise: How would you have made RR2 fun, while keeping the loop gimmick?

Personally, I'd have reduced the loops to 3, but had you fight all the enemies each loop. I'd have also increased the number of people you can bring to a fight per loop, starting with 7 on the first run and ending with all 12 on the last.

The biggest difference is that I'd make more of a focus on the fights changing each loop, like how Fairy Gentleman got a buddy the second time around. Mostly this'd take the form of adds - T Corp would get merged into the Steam Transport Machine and show up to support it in the second loop by adding or removing time from its counter, for example, so if you play it right you could potentially get multiple Fragile turns in a row. So That No One Will Cry will get users of its EGO, Wayward Passenger would get a W Corp cleanup crew, Drifting Fox would get Alleyway Watchdog and Headless Ichthys backing it up in a rerun of the RR1 fight etc etc. I'd also merge Fae Lantern and Fairy Gentleman, where after you beat the Lantern a cutscene plays where the Gentlemen appears to grab the Lantern's fairy, crush it, and put it in his drink before fighting you himself. With this in mind, Fae Lantern would probably be the first fight with that acting as an introduction to how things work in the extra loops.

Kill the low turn banner and make it a cycles completed banner imo.

It doesn't matter if it's just a banner, the high score everyone is posting about is turn count so it makes it less fun to compare.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Pulled on the new EGO banner and finally got Cinq Don.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heath's MFE is a 25 SP heal on 4 allies, unconditional and with an extra Attack down and costing less that Fluid Sac, this slaps.

The corrosion seems bad to me though, I understand the SP heal is to prevent -45 sanity but adding a fragile to that seems like just mean.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think the Fragile is inflicted on the target and not on Heathcliff - there is no "self" mentioned and the EGO Corrosion doesn't have Inflict Fragile at Uptie III.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

pm can i please go two weeks without fighting sir bongsalot at the end of md2

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It can be done, I got Centipede last week and Bull this week

…except it’s a new week now, so.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Junpei posted:

By the way, someone who used the English option in the TGS demo took a picture of some dialogue that might confirm something:

Ahab's a woman now.
Lol Heathcliff's Canto is absolutely after Ishmael's because the two of them are a lot more similar than either would be comfortable admitting, with a line like that and the theme she has of relentless obsession even to the point of physical and mental self harm.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Am I misremembering or were we supposed to get an update to MD events whereby we'd have some way to register outcomes we had already experienced before?

I'm really sick of having to look stuff up since I only can seem to remember half of the pool with any sort of accuracy, it's a dogshit mechanic if one or more options are always failure and/or a crippling effect while getting it right nets you an EGO Gift but the only "trick" is memorizing a whole bunch of outcomes.

Or am I confusing the above with the EGO Gift encyclopedia they added?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

KazigluBey posted:

Am I misremembering or were we supposed to get an update to MD events whereby we'd have some way to register outcomes we had already experienced before?

I'm really sick of having to look stuff up since I only can seem to remember half of the pool with any sort of accuracy, it's a dogshit mechanic if one or more options are always failure and/or a crippling effect while getting it right nets you an EGO Gift but the only "trick" is memorizing a whole bunch of outcomes.

Or am I confusing the above with the EGO Gift encyclopedia they added?

My assumption is that between the game's generally "interesting" coding and the PR grenade KJH threw into the offices it's just been sort of percolating in the background.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Lol Heathcliff's Canto is absolutely after Ishmael's because the two of them are a lot more similar than either would be comfortable admitting, with a line like that and the theme she has of relentless obsession even to the point of physical and mental self harm.

if we're dropping by cyber wuthering heights heathcliff kinda has to come back successful and rich though

but i'm just going by the original story because despite how chatty he is we don't have much to go on besides his current state being during wuthering heights' timeskip. he doesn't seem to share the intense lifelong bitterness of his literary origin so who knows what makes that guy tick.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yinlock posted:

if we're dropping by cyber wuthering heights heathcliff kinda has to come back successful and rich though

but i'm just going by the original story because despite how chatty he is we don't have much to go on besides his current state being during wuthering heights' timeskip. he doesn't seem to share the intense lifelong bitterness of his literary origin so who knows what makes that guy tick.
I suppose legitimately employed and implied to be making really solid money will have to do for Limbus Heathcliff. Just ignore The Horrors of his job.

Yeah, idk, Limbus Heathcliff is bitter but it certainly hasn't developed the 'ruin his own life and the lives of everyone around him' depth of his literary counterpart. Guess we'll see what goes down with Catherine in Canto VI.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 13, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Uh, minor slip-up there: 6 is VI, not XI. XI is 11, which would be Outis's chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

well, my next attempt at RR is now at cycle 5 126 turns before Sign of Rose. So I have 24 turns to kill it and get the banner... which I'll do once it's implemented. Meanwhile the bus stays at STNOWC till they patch that :v: