Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Getting Calvin & Hobbes Noodle Incident vibes from the creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Whatever it is, it's huge. Look at the arc on the stasis circle thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So what is the Elan/Haley exchange about. I recognize it is some sort of relationship fight that almost? happened but I'm kinda unclear on what exactly was the rundown.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's no subtext here. They mean exactly what they're saying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

So what is the Elan/Haley exchange about. I recognize it is some sort of relationship fight that almost? happened but I'm kinda unclear on what exactly was the rundown.

Haley almost talks herself into falling into a trap

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I figured the monster was a Call of Cthulhu reference or something. Like Serini has gone beyond just snatching up obscure splatbook or past edition monsters, beyond made up monsters and is now actively pilfering them from other IPs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I figured the monster was a Call of Cthulhu reference or something. Like Serini has gone beyond just snatching up obscure splatbook or past edition monsters, beyond made up monsters and is now actively pilfering them from other IPs.

Wizards made a D20 CoC game so that's not too far fetched

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There's a whole class of official demons called the obyriths whos' core feature is that they're indescribable horrors that drive you insane if you look at them. I figure it something like that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

Haley fell for Elan immediately and would be very upset if she realized that Elan didn't really think anything of her at first. Fortunately for Elan, Haley reasoned herself into believing that Elan also was attracted to her the moment she saw her. Elan now knows to be careful with this topic in the future.

Roy and Serini's comments in the final panel explain it all.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
So, do the laws of narrative dictate that once they reach their destination, Xykon & Co will somehow already be there first?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheAceOfLungs posted:

So, do the laws of narrative dictate that once they reach their destination, Xykon & Co will somehow already be there first?

Not really, they may find a way of blowing past the obstacles, but so far its pretty clear that Team Evil doesn't have some hidden advantage or Xanatos levels of superiority where they can just pull a fast one over the Order that has very much painstackingly on several panels now gained an legitimate advantage over them.

But as I said Team Evil might find a much easier way of getting to the Order than what the Order/Serini accounted for; maybe some combination of the Modrons, MitD, and something else. I'm willing to believe that they do end up having to fight their way exhausting themselves to get to the Order but then something else springs forth to derail things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How did we get here, Kronk?

I know. By all accounts it doesn’t make sense.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not really, they may find a way of blowing past the obstacles, but so far its pretty clear that Team Evil doesn't have some hidden advantage or Xanatos levels of superiority where they can just pull a fast one over the Order that has very much painstackingly on several panels now gained an legitimate advantage over them.

But as I said Team Evil might find a much easier way of getting to the Order than what the Order/Serini accounted for; maybe some combination of the Modrons, MitD, and something else. I'm willing to believe that they do end up having to fight their way exhausting themselves to get to the Order but then something else springs forth to derail things.

Yeah it's probably something along those lines. The set up is either such that team evil fights their way through the dungeon taking heavy losses in resources, they find a way to circumvent the dungeon entirely and get to the gate to fight the heroes, or some secret third thing happens that somehow renders the whole dungeon and the final gate moot. But a lot of it is likely to happen off screen or in a very abbreivated form since we already know in detail how dangerous the dungeon is. We probably wont get this same extended sequence with team evil here. Unless were going to get some parallel thing with their development like we are getting with the order maybe.

In the mean time doing it this way lets things decompress a bit and give us some time for jokes and character interactions before poo poo hits the fan and it's all chaos.

That's my guess for how this is going to work narratively.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 11, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does Xykon or Redcloak have any way to pinpoint the location of the Gate and just.., I dunno, stone-to-mud a path directly to the portal?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I don't think the dungeon is going to stop Team Evil, but I greatly look forward to seeing how Xykon's temper and patience handle a dungeon built by a huge rear end in a top hat who designed every single encounter to be as incredibly annoying and unfair as possible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Randalor posted:

Does Xykon or Redcloak have any way to pinpoint the location of the Gate and just.., I dunno, stone-to-mud a path directly to the portal?

There was a gag way back where Redcloak started to explain that the big canyon of dungeons were made from phase-proof anti-teleportation rock or something, to which Xykon responded "can it with the nerd poo poo, just say we're doing these dungeons old school."

I'm assuming that also applies to the actual final dungeons.

also placing my bet on the unspeakable horror being the Monster in the Dadness

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vizuyos posted:

I don't think the dungeon is going to stop Team Evil, but I greatly look forward to seeing how Xykon's temper and patience handle a dungeon built by a huge rear end in a top hat who designed every single encounter to be as incredibly annoying and unfair as possible.

He's gonna blow a ton of spell slots.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Randalor posted:

If they did they wouldn't have needed Serini's diary.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It's also been established that Team Evil is pretty weak at Divination. Xykon is a Sorcerer and his generally anti-caster build doesn't have much allowance for it. Clerics don't get as many Divination spells as an arcane caster could.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah it's probably something along those lines. The set up is either such that team evil fights their way through the dungeon taking heavy losses in resources, they find a way to circumvent the dungeon entirely and get to the gate to fight the heroes, or some secret third thing happens that somehow renders the whole dungeon and the final gate moot. But a lot of it is likely to happen off screen or in a very abbreivated form since we already know in detail how dangerous the dungeon is. We probably wont get this same extended sequence with team evil here. Unless were going to get some parallel thing with their development like we are getting with the order maybe.

In the mean time doing it this way lets things decompress a bit and give us some time for jokes and character interactions before poo poo hits the fan and it's all chaos.

That's my guess for how this is going to work narratively.

My bet is we're just going to see team evil wander out of the end of the dungeon looking beat up and one of them will say something like "man, that poet wasn't blue at all! and his rhymes were terrible!" or some other joke along those lines.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It strikes me that a really effective use of one of the IFCC's two remaining possessions would be to make V freeze at a bad time and trigger one of the traps here.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Scruffy was looking directly at the monster :ohdear:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

My bet is we're just going to see team evil wander out of the end of the dungeon looking beat up and one of them will say something like "man, that poet wasn't blue at all! and his rhymes were terrible!" or some other joke along those lines.

This would be great.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If looking at the Lovecraftian monster drives you mad...

...how does Serini know it even is there?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

If they did they wouldn't have needed Serini's diary.

I wasn't sure if that may have changed with the reveal of Redcloak having "friends" in divine places, and if they may have been able to pinpoint its location now that they were near it with an extra-planer summon that Redcloak had overlooked.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "reveal of Redcloak having "friends" in divine places", unless you mean his use of a 9th level spell that all clerics have access to should they reach a high enough level.

Outsiders aren't supposed to know about the Gates and the Snarl, to the point that they get mindwiped every time the world gets remade.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "reveal of Redcloak having "friends" in divine places", unless you mean his use of a 9th level spell that all clerics have access to should they reach a high enough level.

Outsiders aren't supposed to know about the Gates and the Snarl, to the point that they get mindwiped every time the world gets remade.

Yeah, it was was just a dumb joke about his 9th level spell that I don't remember him using before summoning the modrons. While they're not supposed to know about the gates, I'm sure there's a way to weasel-word them into detecting the gate.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Randalor posted:

Yeah, it was was just a dumb joke about his 9th level spell that I don't remember him using before summoning the modrons. While they're not supposed to know about the gates, I'm sure there's a way to weasel-word them into detecting the gate.

It's possible but wouldn't that involve a second summon spell? This one already has a task. And the task doesn't really leave a way for it to find the exact location of the gate for them. Unless the map of the complex somehow gives them a clue?

At least it will get them into the final dungeon, but probably not much more than that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

It's possible but wouldn't that involve a second summon spell? This one already has a task. And the task doesn't really leave a way for it to find the exact location of the gate for them. Unless the map of the complex somehow gives them a clue?

At least it will get them into the final dungeon, but probably not much more than that.

How long had the OotS been resting and taking the long way through the dungeon now? Doesn't Redcloak just need a day to recover all of his spells?

Honest question, I know we're going off of 3.5 rules, I just haven't played it in a long time and don't remember the exact rules for clerics recovering used spell slots.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what's weird, my brain just processed OotS as "Ocarina of the Sith"

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

Yeah, he used his 9th level spells a few times:
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0826.html
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nenonen posted:

If looking at the Lovecraftian monster drives you mad...

...how does Serini know it even is there?

You could Odysseus it by having someone secure you so you can't move, and then have someone with whatever level restoration is needed to return your sanity afterwards. Or, more simply, you have someone with a non-visual version of sight/detection be able to confirm that yep, that thar's an unspeakable horror alright. Likewise, you could put some type of alarm on the stasis spell enchantment so if it's never been triggered you know it's still right there.

Redcloak has used Implosion and Gate today, so unless he's level 19 or 20 (IIRC we know he's not epic level) he's out of 9th level spells other than his Domain spell until he refreshes. And I'm assuming his Domain spell is his half of the Gate Shift spell. So that's already reducing his oomph a bunch. The OOTSforums thread has him at Lv 17+, so I guess it's possible Implosion or Gate was his domain spell and he's level 17, in which case he's out of top level spells entirely

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
You know Rich has repeatedly said the ending won't be a pull back to reveal the OOTS were actually tabletop players running a campaign?

He hasn't said anything about Team Evil

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

habeasdorkus posted:

You could Odysseus it by having someone secure you so you can't move, and then have someone with whatever level restoration is needed to return your sanity afterwards. Or, more simply, you have someone with a non-visual version of sight/detection be able to confirm that yep, that thar's an unspeakable horror alright. Likewise, you could put some type of alarm on the stasis spell enchantment so if it's never been triggered you know it's still right there.

Redcloak has used Implosion and Gate today, so unless he's level 19 or 20 (IIRC we know he's not epic level) he's out of 9th level spells other than his Domain spell until he refreshes. And I'm assuming his Domain spell is his half of the Gate Shift spell. So that's already reducing his oomph a bunch. The OOTSforums thread has him at Lv 17+, so I guess it's possible Implosion or Gate was his domain spell and he's level 17, in which case he's out of top level spells entirely

Implosion is Destruction domain, which I'm 99% sure Redcloak has.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Staltran posted:

Implosion is Destruction domain, which I'm 99% sure Redcloak has.

He's Law and Destruction. Hold Monster is only available for the Law domain for clerics, and while Implosion is a normal Cleric spell, Disintegration is Destruction-domain only.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

bunnyofdoom posted:

You know Rich has repeatedly said the ending won't be a pull back to reveal the OOTS were actually tabletop players running a campaign?

He hasn't said anything about Team Evil

Wait, he *explicitly* stated that?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gynovore posted:

Soon's spirit speaking to Belkar had a bit where it referenced it, there's likely other places where there's an inference that we aren't seeing the "in-universe" actions of players deciding what their characters are going to do, etc.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember a GiTP forums post along these lines yeah.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I checked the Index and the closest was "The world in the Snarl is not Earth, Earth will never appear".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

LashLightning posted:

Soon's spirit speaking to Belkar had a bit where it referenced it, there's likely other places where there's an inference that we aren't seeing the "in-universe" actions of players deciding what their characters are going to do, etc.