Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/scottinankeny/status/1711754684719919169

just one little itty bitty flaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

there is someone in charge of managing Grandpa's social media who knows his job is 100% insulated from any blowback by Grandpa not giving a poo poo about twitter. props to them, first time I've seen someone with that gig using it for any kind of good whatsoever, credit to them for that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hatebag posted:

huh, never heard of this habiru business. i thought the jews retconned their own religion to be monotheistic while they were partly in captivity in babylon because they were removed from the holy land so they needed to have a reason for why their god that was previously associated with the land of israel would have magic powers over there too
also i thought the philistines were a sea people comprised of various non-semitic mediterranens.
anthropology is neat!

none of that actually happened. this brings me no pleasure to report.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

the whole thing has been ding-dang-doodily hosed from the get-go

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
it's been a long time since George Takei had a decent take.

this is like pre-2016 poo poo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mdemone posted:

none of that actually happened. this brings me no pleasure to report.

none of which? the habiru stuff? the babylonian captivity/liberation by persia?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mdemone posted:

woof. I'm not sure any of that has historical documents supporting it.

as a general suggestion I would say Peter Brown's "Through the Eye of a Needle"

is an excellent grounding point for how the Christian church became whatever it is now.

Brown is a genius, but that book's about the Christianization of the Roman State and upper class, and the changes that came from increasing amounts of social and political capital directed by bishops. It's a history of institutions and practices, but not of beliefs.

His book The Rise of Western Christendom might be more appropriate if you're looking for a history of the spread of the religion or something like that, though again it is not overly concerned with the contents of religious belief, so much as their interplay with social and political dynamics in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Oct 11, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I'd say this whole abrahamic religion thing seems like a wash, personally

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

new kind of cat posted:

this fuckn rear end in a top hat will never be able to cum until iran is bombed

gently caress him

wait.. not sur eu thought this thru

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Smythe posted:

wait.. not sur eu thought this thru

when we most needed him, cumshitter deserted us...

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
watching my local Fox affiliate after baseball, getting a surprisingly supportive story on Palestine supporters

kinda lolling @ a Green Bay Packers jersey at a pro palestine rally

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://x.com/artan_ayan/status/1711686397260636484?s=20

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

george tankei

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

joshua, judges, ruth, the samuels and the kingses were my favorite books of the bible as a kid (along with daniel). it's such a messy and chaotic period. the later phrophet period was always harder to place in a historical context for me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

20 Blunts posted:

watching my local Fox affiliate after baseball, getting a surprisingly supportive story on Palestine supporters

kinda lolling @ a Green Bay Packers jersey at a pro palestine rally

Wasn't there a piece a while back where someone described getting harassed in Israel for wearing like, a Celtics jersey or something?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Brown is a genius, but that book's about the Christianization of the Roman State and upper class, and the changes that came from increasing amounts of social and political capital directed by bishops. It's a history of institutions and practices, but not of beliefs.

His book The Rise of Western Christendom might be more appropriate if you're looking for a history of the spread of the religion or something like that, though again it is not overly concerned with the contents of religious belief, so much as their interplay with social and political dynamics in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages.

*makes a note*

hooray I learned something and now I can get a new book

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

check out the PEWDIEPIE graffiti above george

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

Wasn't there a piece a while back where someone described getting harassed in Israel for wearing like, a Celtics jersey or something?

i would hope people who own celtics gear are harassed everywhere, including dunkin donuts

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ive seen pro-palestine from people i have on social medias from those i least expected it and then disappointed by people supporting the zionist nazis who i thought maybe knew better

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

20 Blunts posted:

i would hope people who own celtics gear are harassed everywhere, including dunkin donuts

someone gave me a nice Celtics long-sleeve because she knew I liked the NBA

tough assignment

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

20 Blunts posted:

why is Celtics pronounced sell-ticks

is that the correct pronunciation???

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

The chariot nobles who ruled the Canaanite city states had long been oppressing the nomads and peasants of the surrounding hills and deserts. Many ended up leading a bandit existence dodging the chariots.
I wonder what inspired the Israelis to name their tank the Merkava/Chariot.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Frosted Flake posted:

Would Lindsey Graham be better off if he had just been allowed to marry a nice South Carolinian man or would he still be a fire eater?

speaking as a south carolinian I can confidently that he'd somehow be more of a fire eater

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Oct 11, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But if we are talking about Late Antiquity, the Romans very obviously did not expel all of the Jews from the Holy Land. There were centuries of interaction, Romanization (really Hellenization considering it was in the east), Sassanian incursions and so on, but ultimately, the Palestinians are the same people. First, many of them converted to Christianity, though that was a complicated dynamic as Christianity spread among the trading diaspora and then the gentiles, being resisted most strongly in Jerusalem, then to Islam. I believe Gaza was one of the towns that held out against sieges by both the Sassanians and whatever dynasty the first four Caliphs after Mohammed were.

A bunch of Polish turnip farmers coming to "reclaim" a continuously occupied land inhabited by the people they insist on unbroken decent from is one of those things that should raise an eyebrow.

zetamind2000 posted:

speaking as a south carolinian I can confidently that he'd somehow be more of a fire eater

I hadn't considered that, but I guess if the right woke up tomorrow and decided they were totally fine with gays, you would still have Dave Rubin type guys.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

as an anti missile system, iron domes only issue is that it doesn't protect you from being blown up by missiles

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Empires overextend in decline.

Mexico, Iran, Ukraine, Taiwan, Israel. What else?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

the loving old bastard finally gets it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/ItalyinIsrael/status/1711821345976181111?t=krSQhbk2bC_sniqMngCZyQ&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

Do it. Empires overextend in decline.

Antarctica land grab.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lol, his pinned tweet

https://x.com/scottinankeny/status/1510380356117184522?s=20

definitely not racist at all

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

OH MY

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

err posted:

Empires overextend in decline.

Hawaii

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

whatever dynasty the first four Caliphs after Mohammed were.

rashidun is the one i remember because it has the coolest name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

But if we are talking about Late Antiquity, the Romans very obviously did not expel all of the Jews from the Holy Land. There were centuries of interaction, Romanization (really Hellenization considering it was in the east), Sassanian incursions and so on, but ultimately, the Palestinians are the same people. First, many of them converted to Christianity, though that was a complicated dynamic as Christianity spread among the trading diaspora and then the gentiles, being resisted most strongly in Jerusalem, then to Islam. I believe Gaza was one of the towns that held out against sieges by both the Sassanians and whatever dynasty the first four Caliphs after Mohammed were.

A bunch of Polish turnip farmers coming to "reclaim" a continuously occupied land inhabited by the people they insist on unbroken decent from is one of those things that should raise an eyebrow.

Yep MacCulloch splits it into East and West from the beginning, when orthodoxy heads East and imperialism heads West