Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

DancingShade posted:

Me standing alone in a field of bodies that stretches to all horizons, cleaver in hand: Ah, blissful tranquillity at last.

Where they make a wasteland, they call it peace

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

err posted:

Empires overextend in decline.

Mexico, Iran, Ukraine, Taiwan, Israel. What else?

The issue with this empire doing that is it has enough weaponry and the ability to literally kill every person on the planet with its nuke stockpile and given how both sides are going “Yeah, there’s no evidence Iran did this but who cares it was probably them so we should invade and bomb them anyway” the rest of the world should band together and utterly destroy us before it’s too late tbh

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1711806971286868386

This loving guy. I swear to Christ

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

he is crack pinging in real time

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ryan Dim

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

pro israel guy: "arabs are violent subhuman barbarians. israel is doing what needs to be done"

ryan grim: "is this guy just ignorant of the how bad the situation is for Palestinians????"

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

it’s loving 9/11 all over again, if you aren’t with us (genocide lovers) then you (people with critical thinking skills) are against us

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Stringent posted:

lol, his pinned tweet

https://x.com/scottinankeny/status/1510380356117184522?s=20

definitely not racist at all

at least he didn't say wonton

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was a brilliant and well received book recently about how the Roman and Sassanian use of the Arabs in their proxy wars more-or-less created Islam and a common "Arab/Islamic" identity, from what had been scattered tribes. This mirrors events in Europe with the Saxons and Goths among others but "for some reason" the Arabs are left out of this while it became a cornerstone of English, French, German and Italian nationalism in the 19th century.

Essentially, the inflows of money and creation of organizational structures that came from continuous military employment created a very strong, capable group from scattered people, that began to identify as such. You can think of this as mirroring "hydraulic" civilizations, where the need to work collectively to manage the flooding of the nile and planting of crops created wealth, organization and identity among those who participated. The same would apply to rice cultivation and the great rivers of Asia. In this case, it was a veritable river of silver flowing from the two rival empires that everyone organized around.

Negotiating with the empires created something like collective bargaining, and a keen awareness that while "they" were unified, "we" were divided and could be undercut. This was even more apparent because some Arab tribes were employed by the Arabs and some by the Persians on opposing sides of their various wars. Furthermore, and this is the crux of it, Arabia was divided along religious lines also, with Christianization penetrating unevenly and not really meeting the societal need at the historical moment. Paganism was divisive because of local and tribal gods, it was impossible to create a consensus. Zoroastrianism was tied to practices firmly fixed at certain sites outside Arabia and so was inaccessible. Judaism had made inroads on both sides of the Red Sea, but was non-evangelizing and had a few other problems that I can't recall at the moment that prevented it from being a unifying ideology.

That's the important thing, and why some argue that the Arabs did not "just" convert like the Franks, Bulgars, Magyars and Saxons. Why would this "barbarian" confederation that became stronger and stronger through Roman employment until eventually sweeping in Roman lands not adopt Christianity? Well, some historians believe they wouldn't be able to when you look at what was happening in the region.

See, the Arabs were looking for a unifying ideology, but Christianity in the eastern Mediterranean was bitterly divided into competing orthodoxies and heresies that fought wars as frequently and as bitterly as those between Roman and Persian. To an outsider looking in, even if they liked some of what they saw, how could they agree on what to convert to? Iconoclasm or Iconodulism? Monophysitism or Miaphysitism (or neither!)? They needed a simple belief that could unite all of the people together as an Ummah.

I testify that there is no deity but God, and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God.

Pre-Islamic Arabia: Societies, Politics, Cults and Identities during Late Antiquity

This book delves into the political and cultural developments of pre-Islamic Arabia, focusing on the religious attitudes of the inhabitants of the Arabian Peninsula and its northern extension into the Syrian desert. Between the third and the seventh century, Arabia was on the edge of three great empires (Iran, Rome and Aksūm) and at the centre of a lucrative network of trade routes. Valentina Grasso offers an interpretative framework which contextualizes the choice of Arabian elites to become Jewish sympathisers and/or convert to Christianity and Islam by probing the mobilization of faith in the shaping of Arabian identities. For the first time the Arabians of the period are granted autonomy from marginalizing (mostly Western) narratives framing them as 'barbarians' inhabiting the fringes of Rome and Iran and/or deterministic analyses in which they are depicted retrospectively as exemplified by the Muslims' definition of the period as Jāhilīyah, 'ignorance'.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hatebag posted:

the story of exodus is actually bronze age propaganda against the egyptians. the ancestors of jews migrated into the levant from the east/northeast which is observable with the archaeological evidence of cisterns.
plus the pyramids were built using the corveé labor system, not slavery
are you telling me the jewish holiday celebrating a bunch of dead egyptians is only because they are racist? what the gently caress

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Echo Chamber posted:

it's been a long time since George Takei had a decent take.

this is like pre-2016 poo poo

I'm glad he's getting better he just needs to stay the hell away from the word shatner

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Good night guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JamLmpVOgE0

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

he is a genuinely stupid man

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Like loving clockword

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

gently caress this gently caress that gently caress me gently caress you

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

This man is in his 60s single and childless

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

smoobles posted:

Israel/Palestine Crysis

lol

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the spirit of john mccain lives on unfortunately

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Biden repeating that the rave was a peace festival

this is literally all the propaganda

This is something that's been bugging me for a few days now, what the gently caress is a peace festival? Like, if this is a household phrase that refers to a concept we're all familiar with, which it must be since we're all saying it now, what are some other well-known examples? What does a peace festival do, and in what ways it different enough from existing kinds of gatherings to need a new title?

It's like in the states with the Flag Waves and Free Speech Rallies, these aren't real things, just weird euphemisms for existing concepts designed to sound maximally angelic

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DarkSithLord posted:

This man is in his 60s single and childless

that reminds me, it's not unknown for south carolinians around his age to refer to him as miss lindsey

they know, we all know

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

comedyblissoption posted:

are you telling me the jewish holiday celebrating a bunch of dead egyptians is only because they are racist? what the gently caress

lol yeah

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a brilliant and well received book recently about how the Roman and Sassanian use of the Arabs in their proxy wars more-or-less created Islam and a common "Arab/Islamic" identity, from what had been scattered tribes. This mirrors events in Europe with the Saxons and Goths among others but "for some reason" the Arabs are left out of this while it became a cornerstone of English, French, German and Italian nationalism in the 19th century.

Essentially, the inflows of money and creation of organizational structures that came from continuous military employment created a very strong, capable group from scattered people, that began to identify as such. You can think of this as mirroring "hydraulic" civilizations, where the need to work collectively to manage the flooding of the nile and planting of crops created wealth, organization and identity among those who participated. The same would apply to rice cultivation and the great rivers of Asia. In this case, it was a veritable river of silver flowing from the two rival empires that everyone organized around.

Negotiating with the empires created something like collective bargaining, and a keen awareness that while "they" were unified, "we" were divided and could be undercut. This was even more apparent because some Arab tribes were employed by the Arabs and some by the Persians on opposing sides of their various wars. Furthermore, and this is the crux of it, Arabia was divided along religious lines also, with Christianization penetrating unevenly and not really meeting the societal need at the historical moment. Paganism was divisive because of local and tribal gods, it was impossible to create a consensus. Zoroastrianism was tied to practices firmly fixed at certain sites outside Arabia and so was inaccessible. Judaism had made inroads on both sides of the Red Sea, but was non-evangelizing and had a few other problems that I can't recall at the moment that prevented it from being a unifying ideology.

That's the important thing, and why some argue that the Arabs did not "just" convert like the Franks, Bulgars, Magyars and Saxons. Why would this "barbarian" confederation that became stronger and stronger through Roman employment until eventually sweeping in Roman lands not adopt Christianity? Well, some historians believe they wouldn't be able to when you look at what was happening in the region.

See, the Arabs were looking for a unifying ideology, but Christianity in the eastern Mediterranean was bitterly divided into competing orthodoxies and heresies that fought wars as frequently and as bitterly as those between Roman and Persian. To an outsider looking in, even if they liked some of what they saw, how could they agree on what to convert to? Iconoclasm or Iconodulism? Monophysitism or Miaphysitism (or neither!)? They needed a simple belief that could unite all of the people together as an Ummah.

I testify that there is no deity but God, and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God.

Pre-Islamic Arabia: Societies, Politics, Cults and Identities during Late Antiquity

This book delves into the political and cultural developments of pre-Islamic Arabia, focusing on the religious attitudes of the inhabitants of the Arabian Peninsula and its northern extension into the Syrian desert. Between the third and the seventh century, Arabia was on the edge of three great empires (Iran, Rome and Aksūm) and at the centre of a lucrative network of trade routes. Valentina Grasso offers an interpretative framework which contextualizes the choice of Arabian elites to become Jewish sympathisers and/or convert to Christianity and Islam by probing the mobilization of faith in the shaping of Arabian identities. For the first time the Arabians of the period are granted autonomy from marginalizing (mostly Western) narratives framing them as 'barbarians' inhabiting the fringes of Rome and Iran and/or deterministic analyses in which they are depicted retrospectively as exemplified by the Muslims' definition of the period as Jāhilīyah, 'ignorance'.

good lord that's gonna be several books more I have to read

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

it’s loving 9/11 all over again, if you aren’t with us (genocide lovers) then you (people with critical thinking skills) are against us

hell yeah lets invade Afghanistan again. thought we were done??? we're baaaack

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

where Jimmy Dore !

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
what does jarule think of all this

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1711766456910631053

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
bloodthirsty oligarch: WE NEED TO BOMB THE poo poo OUT OF IRAN AND WE NEED TO DO IT RIGHT loving NOW! *foams at mouth*

anchor: wow so u are clearly familiar with the details of this recent horrifying attack by hamas

bo: the what now?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Gaza may only have hours of electricity left from their sole power providing company

https://twitter.com/AJArabic/status/1711955024811614708

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Scarabrae posted:

gently caress this gently caress that gently caress me gently caress you

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hilario Baldness posted:

Like loving clockword

this is like the base stump response to anything they can't be arsed to dig into further

"i think we should uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bomb iran"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Homeless Friend posted:

rooting for a Fyre festival in Gaza

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lpzie posted:

where Jimmy Dore !

is he still running for potus?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

he is a genuinely stupid man

like a goldfish being flushed down the toilet, yelling 'holy poo poo guys, have you heard about this!?!' every lap around the bowl.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lpzie posted:

where Jimmy Dore !

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

with all the incorrect facts in there they're going to have to start calling the bible the lie-ble, I've heard

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

He doesn't miss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I checked it's not him, some guest host.