Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vitamin Me posted:

Tbh this sounds more like a 'old website' issue..

I think Baldurk just doesn't want to make the layout any wider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Vitamin Me posted:

Tbh this sounds more like a 'old website' issue..

Hm but the site shows fine on mobile, so there's some modern frontend framework involved possibly

Personally I find anything wider to cause some degree of eyestrain when I'm reading a thread of primarily screenshots. But that may be a me thing.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I like smaller images as well, but I'm in the boat that would like the limit to be increased to 960px wide as that makes a clean conversion down from a 16:9 ratio image.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
It is what it is. If you're not fussed about the archives then don't worry about the image sizes. If you want them archived then you'll need to work around the limitations.

The only way around it is if baldurk is willing to increase capacity or for someone else to host a permanent archive for HD SSLPs.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Quackles posted:

I think Baldurk just doesn't want to make the layout any wider.

The one sane man in this world of madness.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

So! I wanted to watch https://lparchive.org/Syberia/ Syberia LP, but there's no videos any more.
Is Skippy Granola gone? (last post in 2020) (youtube channel appears gone)
Is it LP if it has no content?

May I cry in despair and panic?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I believe Skippy did go full scorched earth and deleted everything

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Skippy deleted their channel three years ago due to not wanting to deal with copyright trolls and Youtube's useless system. They still stream semi-regularly though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Skippy remains now only in our memories...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Skippy still streams sometimes, but rarely. Caught him stream some Lufia a month or so ago.
He lives and is still part of our existence. Never give up hope.

it's a shame Skippy burned down his youtube channel but I understand.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What happened to that other guy, Scruffy?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
skippy still exists on other peoples channels in guest appearances. he was on my chaos playstation allstars vid for killzone 2

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Leal posted:

I believe Skippy did go full scorched earth and deleted everything

:rip: Magicka LP :(

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
drat shame Skippy nuked his stuff, his video of Cards Against Humanity brought my attention to the game, and got a few laughs out of me.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Would you all please take a look at this test post for a SSLP of Urbz: Sims in the City (2004) for the Nintendo DS? This would be my first LP, and I'd appreciate any feedback be it technical, writing, or vibes. :kiddo:

OP:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163725

Test Post Proper:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=163729

I've also uploaded the opening cinematic of the game to Youtube; it was literally never uploaded for some reason. So if you want to hear some :krad: music and visuals, click on the link in the test post. :)

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 10, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Looks nice! There is one nitpick I have: There is a good chunk of the time where the bottom screen isn't relevant (it's just displaying the menu, it's the same as the last pic, and we're concentrated on the top screen). I might recommend sometimes cropping one of the two screens if that screen's not important.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow thats 2004 as hell.
And yeah cut out the bottom (or top!) screen if its not important. Irfanview has a batch edit feature you can use for this.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 10, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wow thats 2004 as hell.
And yeah cut out the bottom screen if its not important. Irfanview has a batch edit feature you can use for this.

You can even save multiple different edit presets if certain things have consistent screen locations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Would something like this look better? (I also added a border):

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't personally think it needs to be full width for the resolution it's displaying at, but that's a fairly minor issue. Much better without the second screen though, yes.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

tokin opposition posted:

Would something like this look better? (I also added a border):

I will say you can get a clean and low size image if you stick to hard multiples of the game's native resolution so that the scaling doesn't go fuzzy. (256x192 per screen, so 256x384 for both screens.)

In this case, here's a cropped image of just the top screen upscaled by 3 (768 x 576)

It's only 35.1 kb compared to the 683 kb of the previous one.

(Note that whatever size you're recording in would also have to be a native scaling, 1x, 2x, 3x, etc. If you record in 2x size, note that you'll need to resize it down by 50% back down to 1x scaling and then back up to 3x to keep a clean image.)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Left 4 Bread posted:

I will say you can get a clean and low size image if you stick to hard multiples of the game's native resolution so that the scaling doesn't go fuzzy. (256x192 per screen, so 256x384 for both screens.)

In this case, here's a cropped image of just the top screen upscaled by 3 (768 x 576)

It's only 35.1 kb compared to the 683 kb of the previous one.

(Note that whatever size you're recording in would also have to be a native scaling, 1x, 2x, 3x, etc. If you record in 2x size, note that you'll need to resize it down by 50% back down to 1x scaling and then back up to 3x to keep a clean image.)

Makes sense - I'm currently using DeSuMe's built in screenshot button mapped to a controller, so I think it always outputs 1x resolution, I'll check when I get some time.

Do folks think the borders would be helpful? I want to make sure it's easy to read, especially if I'm putting in a lot of in-game text. (There's so much loving text!)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I'm fine without the border myself, but that's just me. Someone else can weigh in if it helps them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I didn't even realise there was a border until you pointed it out. It's fine aesthetically, but I don't think that it's necessary.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What has borders given us

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

The aqueduct?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Hwurmp posted:

They used to give me books :smith:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thank you all for the advice; This is my current workflow:

1. Take images with the emulator using a controller button.
2. When done, move all images to a raw image folder for each post.
3. Sort out images by top only or both screens (I really don't think we'll ever need bottom screen only but I also have a preset for that.)
3a. Use IfranView to crop top screen if applicable.
3b. Use IrfanView to scale 3x to 768x578.
4. Upload images to LPix using ShareX, one gallery per post.
5. Write post using https://bbcode.ilma.dev/.
6. Copy and paste URL using ShareX into post at labeled parts.

Any goofus decisions I should rethink before I start on the create-an-urb update? (ofc. goons will get to choose our name, presentation, clothes and personality.)

Also, is there any way to change ShareX to copy BB code instead of just the url with a shortcut?

e: also in the name of worldwide communism I will not be bothering with borders

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnAnuixq9I

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

tokin opposition posted:

3. Sort out images by top only or both screens (I really don't think we'll ever need bottom screen only but I also have a preset for that.)

Any goofus decisions I should rethink before I start on the create-an-urb update?

Everything about the workload sounds fine to me, but I don't claim to be an expert at this. Just someone who spends too much time doing it.

I do my different crops by just doing the most common one first (top screen) for all of them and then having my other crops set to "overwrite" and pointing to the same output folder while I pick out which ones need something different.

You can also write the post on the forums and use Preview Reply for it, but I'm a weirdo who used to manually write mine in Notepad++, bbcode and all, so I have no grounds to speak on there.

In the future you can look at grabbing a script to automatically place your links over your own handmade tags, but I suppose that's an advanced topic.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

tokin opposition posted:

Any goofus decisions I should rethink before I start on the create-an-urb update? (ofc. goons will get to choose our name, presentation, clothes and personality.)

Also, is there any way to change ShareX to copy BB code instead of just the url with a shortcut?

e: also in the name of worldwide communism I will not be bothering with borders

My one bit of advice from ages past would be to get in the habit of recording videos of your gameplay and then getting screenshots from the video. That way you can avoid the old "Sorry, I missed getting a screenshot of X" issue. Probably not a concern with this specific game, but good general practice. Most emulators have a reasonable way to record lossless video at native resolution if nothing else.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Left 4 Bread posted:

I'm a weirdo who used to manually write mine in Notepad++, bbcode and all, so I have no grounds to speak on there.
This is what I do. Writing your updates on the forums makes it easy to post them by accident, and working with .txt files also means I can use the RightloadAutoReplace plugin (don't be confused by the name, it works just as well with ShareX links) to add the images. Then I copy-paste the whole thing into the SSLP test poster and fix the most egregious mistakes I find, and then I copy-paste that to an actual forum post.

Explosionface posted:

My one bit of advice from ages past would be to get in the habit of recording videos of your gameplay and then getting screenshots from the video. That way you can avoid the old "Sorry, I missed getting a screenshot of X" issue.
Of course, you can also completely forget to do X when recording the footage! :eng99:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DMorbid posted:

Of course, you can also completely forget to do X when recording the footage! :eng99:
Well there's only so much you can do to prevent "screw loose behind the keyboard".

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DMorbid posted:

This is why I record footage but also take screenshots as I go. It helps a lot with keeping me in the mindset of doing all the things I'd want to take screenshots of.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Commander Keene posted:

Well there's only so much you can do to prevent "screw loose behind the keyboard".

Hey, I'm right here!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Explosionface posted:

Hey, I'm right here!

And we're glad you are!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
whomst among us hasnt lost footage/screenshots for an LP? let them cast the first sixxer

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I want to brag that I never have, but I know that's going to instantly cause it to happen, even retroactively if need be.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sally posted:

whomst among us hasnt lost footage/screenshots for an LP? let them cast the first sixxer

Does Windows deciding your PS4 controller is your audio out, yet still plays audio through your headphones, which causes the recording to be completely silent count as losing footage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Does it count if the lost footage was for an LP I never actually started