Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Speaking of youtube, watched two videos about bathroom remodeling, now half my front page is jordan peterson crying at me to clean my room and always be straight

They don't deliberately push right wing content or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

800peepee51doodoo posted:

No, I dont want to install a spyware app to look at a website. Oh cool, open desktop site does nothing. Awesome.

Invidious is a website and not an app and there are a variety of ways you can use it to seamlessly replace youtube so you can probably find one that you’re comfortable with.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Internet Old One posted:

Invidious is a website and not an app and there are a variety of ways you can use it to seamlessly replace youtube so you can probably find one that you’re comfortable with.

Lol, sorry I was venting about a completely unrelated thing where some websites literally block you from accessing them on mobile unless you use their proprietary app, not the youtube thing

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

If you have a vpn you can switch your location to India and pay next to nothing for YouTube. I did a years subscription.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

For Android there's YouTube ReVanced. Gives you a lot of the premium features for free. There are similar modified apps for Spotify.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

GolfHole posted:

Youtube's ads are going to come from the same server as the video feed itself, similar to things like Twitch. It won't be possible to block them until ad blockers become sophisticated enough to somehow predict ads, recognize them, and accurately transpose the video to the point where the in-line ad 'ends' and/or offer you some sort of other 'break' screen while YouTube demands its ad timer expire. Undoubtedly even if ad blockers become this good, they will be easy to mitigate by advertisers and YouTube itself by changing small elements at any time in the way ads are presented or otherwise caught.

Between now and ??? (probably a few months) they will roll out warnings first, then the ads. They'll do it slowly to not scare everybody away at once and to bleed people into subscribing.

You can still use some things like UBlock for now.

Eventually, no ad blocker will work to stop ads. No browser will work to stop ads. You won't be able to PiHole the ads away because that will also block the video itself.*

*at first.

At that point, just turn off your router and go play outside.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kroger just changed their discount bakery goods from 50% off to 33% off at my store. 50% off was a fair price for this garbage fresh but sometimes they had good stuff in there.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I lived pretty good before YouTube and I'll live pretty good without it, if they eventually defeat ad blocking. I get more than half my current sit-around entertainment from YouTube, but I once could have said the same thing about Twitch. Life goes on.

Anyway, I think the "enhanced 1080p" is as much a sign of what's to come as this first shot fired over ad blockers. Degrade the quality of the product until the user does what you want them to, which is pay up and/or watch ads.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It took awhile to get over Twitter. You can stop using YouTube too.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I watch youtube more than I watch any other streaming service. Ad supported stuff sucks poo poo and I have no problem paying to 10 bucks or whatever per month if that means I get no ads and that I am, in a small way, supporting creators more than the ads do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe we should not have given our entire media to 3 companies. Oh well

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

anatomi posted:

For Android there's YouTube ReVanced. Gives you a lot of the premium features for free. There are similar modified apps for Spotify.

holy moley I think you just changed my life

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

GolfHole posted:

Youtube's ads are going to come from the same server as the video feed itself, similar to things like Twitch. It won't be possible to block them until ad blockers become sophisticated enough to somehow predict ads, recognize them, and accurately transpose the video to the point where the in-line ad 'ends' and/or offer you some sort of other 'break' screen while YouTube demands its ad timer expire. Undoubtedly even if ad blockers become this good, they will be easy to mitigate by advertisers and YouTube itself by changing small elements at any time in the way ads are presented or otherwise caught.

Between now and ??? (probably a few months) they will roll out warnings first, then the ads. They'll do it slowly to not scare everybody away at once and to bleed people into subscribing.

Eventually, no ad blocker will work to stop ads. No browser will work to stop ads. You won't be able to PiHole the ads away because that will also block the video itself.*

*at first.

The current state of the art in unblockable ad tech is server side ad insertion where the ads not only come from the same server as the video but are actually injected into the video stream itself.

These sorts of ads will get blocked by sponsorblock until their playback time can be randomized. I’d say not to get too worried until you see proper SSAI. There are places adblock can go from there using methods similar to the way ads get detected in live linear video but that poo poo will be nuts and I’m not sure how much success adblockers will have picking those up.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I watch youtube more than I watch any other streaming service. Ad supported stuff sucks poo poo and I have no problem paying to 10 bucks or whatever per month if that means I get no ads and that I am, in a small way, supporting creators more than the ads do.

I've said this before in this thread, my wife and I have a channel with like 1.3 million subscribers, and the sponsors/patreon are the best way to support a creator. YT Premium shows up as a line item on the monthly payout, no one has any idea how it's calculated, and it's much less than the ad payout. I'm talking a few hundred dollars for Premium vs. thousands for the ad payout. Creators have sponsors because that money is demonetization-proof, and lord knows YT loves to demonetize videos for no reason and even if you win the appeal, you're not getting that money back. It says a lot about YouTube that the only real way for a creator to make money is to go outside the platform to do it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

When ads become unblockable, i'd just cue up the videos i wanna watch that night, screen record, and then just skip the ads like in the days of VHS. Fast forward that poo poo!

I wouldn't be opposed to paying, if Youtube hadn't become such a rotten company.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Don’t insult me with Garfield, jerk! :mad:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I've said this before in this thread, my wife and I have a channel with like 1.3 million subscribers, and the sponsors/patreon are the best way to support a creator. YT Premium shows up as a line item on the monthly payout, no one has any idea how it's calculated, and it's much less than the ad payout. I'm talking a few hundred dollars for Premium vs. thousands for the ad payout. Creators have sponsors because that money is demonetization-proof, and lord knows YT loves to demonetize videos for no reason and even if you win the appeal, you're not getting that money back. It says a lot about YouTube that the only real way for a creator to make money is to go outside the platform to do it.

I would wager though that the primary drive for YT to demonetize and act like puritans is largely due to advertisers and their mercurial whims. It should also be expected that the YT premium quantities would be a smaller amount since the vast majority of viewers view for free. I'm not claiming that YT isn't poo poo to its creators but I'm not sure that I want to promote the ad model for every internet service anymore. I mean ad funding of stuff on the net via advertisements has always been a pain in the rear end, even in the early days of SA it was rife with bullshit. I also don't think that having everyone adblock as a matter of course is going to help creators or keep the YT servers running.

That's my logic anyways.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I would wager though that the primary drive for YT to demonetize and act like puritans is largely due to advertisers and their mercurial whims. It should also be expected that the YT premium quantities would be a smaller amount since the vast majority of viewers view for free. I'm not claiming that YT isn't poo poo to its creators but I'm not sure that I want to promote the ad model for every internet service anymore. I mean ad funding of stuff on the net via advertisements has always been a pain in the rear end, even in the early days of SA it was rife with bullshit. I also don't think that having everyone adblock as a matter of course is going to help creators or keep the YT servers running.

That's my logic anyways.

I say this as a creator: adblock all day long, we don't like being chained to ads any more than you do. Like I said, if you want to support a creator, there are a ton of ways outside of the YT system (merch, patreon, sponsors) to do that, and it's really the best way to support them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I would have happily subscribed to YT Premium a while ago if they weren't owned by Google. Free videos seems the least they could do in return for all the ways they're making the internet worse.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I say this as a creator: adblock all day long, we don't like being chained to ads any more than you do. Like I said, if you want to support a creator, there are a ton of ways outside of the YT system (merch, patreon, sponsors) to do that, and it's really the best way to support them.

Do you mind me asking what your channel is about? Is it about bread? Just curious.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Beastie posted:

Do you mind me asking what your channel is about? Is it about bread? Just curious.

It's about spooky stuff (https://www.youtube.com/@ReignBot, we're on a break right now doing other stuff) although my wife was a baker for a Japanese bakery for a while, so she does have bread experience. My av comes from a love of Japanese pro wrestler Satoshi Kojima, and his love affair with bread.

https://twitter.com/cozy_lariat/status/1517996360183681024?lang=en

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 10, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No, YT is poo poo to it's creators. Of all the 'services', it's the one that admittedly doesn't pay it's creators for content whatsoever outside of a few cents for ad views.

Imagine if Netflix tried to charge a subscription fee, except instead of any of their original programming they paid to produce, or licensed, instead all of their shows were just some guys vlog, and he only gets paid if you watch it, but not if you subscribe to the service.

They've essentially fooled people into thinking that they deserve not just A cut, but the Largest Cut of the money, for just being the platform that hosts the poo poo. So I don't even see where you get satisfaction in thinking the creators are getting paid, it's the service designed specifically to take things people's work that they did not support or produce, and sell it to you and take a cut for doing absolutely nothing except be 'the platform'. Consequently, that's why people get paid the worst there.

Like, the writers strike has taught us the the guilt that streaming services heap on about how they can't afford to pay creators more due to ~~~piracy~~~ was total bullshit bc it turns out they services are actually just pocketing that money. So already that's a position trained into you by marketers, that paying for the service puts the money into the creators hands. It does NOT.

But on top of that, YT would be the least likely to actually be ethical bc the whole concept is 'we host it, so we can monetize it' and sucking up the free work of others.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 10, 2023

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

No, YT is poo poo to it's creators. Of all the 'services', it's the one that admittedly doesn't pay it's creators for content whatsoever outside of a few cents for ad views.

Imagine if Netflix tried to charge a subscription fee, except instead of any of their original programming they paid to produce, or licensed, instead all of their shows were just some guys vlog, and he only gets paid if you watch it, but not if you subscribe to the service.

They've essentially fooled people into thinking that they deserve a cut for just being the platform that hosts the poo poo. So I don't even see where you get satisfaction in thinking the creators are getting paid, it's the service designed specifically to take things people's work that they did not support or produce, and sell it to you and take a cut for doing absolutely nothing except be 'the platform'. Consequently, that's why people get paid the worst there.

Like, the writers strike has taught us the the guilt that streaming services heap on about how they can't afford to pay creators more due to ~~~piracy~~~ was total bullshit bc it turns out they services are actually just pocketing that money. So already that's a position trained into you by marketers, that paying for the service puts the money into the creators hands. It does NOT.

But on top of that, YT would be the least likely to actually be ethical bc the whole concept is 'we host it, so we can monetize it' and sucking up the free work of others.

You forgot "generates a transcript based on their incredibly lovely auto-caption system, use THAT to review the content of a video, demonetize the video based on incorrect captions, make the creator fight to get the video re-monetized (thereby missing out on the crucial 48-hour window after a video comes out), but keeping the ads on the video so YT gets paid." That money is supposed to go into escrow, and released when the demonetization is lifted, but without knowing the actual formula, who knows if it actually is or not?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's about spooky stuff (https://www.youtube.com/@ReignBot, we're on a break right now doing other stuff) although my wife was a baker for a Japanese bakery for a while, so she does have bread experience. My av comes from a love of Japanese pro wrestler Satoshi Kojima, and his love affair with bread.

Subbed! I used to follow a similar channel but I quit when it became apparent they were using AI and text to speech. They were also cloning their channel to get more views or something. I thought it was weird.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Microbrew IPAs are beer enshittifcation, I used to be able to get things like Paulaner Salvator or Maredsous 8 in liquor stores all over Memphis, now you get beers as strong as those in gas stations but they're all IPAs that taste like Pine-Sol and come from fly-by-night microbreweries from the south and midwest. There are a million different IPAs with garish labels and stupid meme lol names, jacked-up ABVs and a fuckload of hops to conceal their grain flavors (probably a bunch of them are partly or mostly corn). Each one has a hazy version and a juicy version and an even stronger version, and they all taste roughly the same.

"It's local!" It's poo poo, it's pretentious malt liquor that tastes even worse than actual malt liquor and doesn't have the honesty to admit it's cheap garbage to get drunk to like malt liquor does, so I just drink Mexican beer now because nothing is better within 10 miles of here :sigh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just move to wine my fiend

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

Just move to wine my fiend

gently caress that, a drinkable bottle of Chardonnay is like $18 and it only goes up from there, bad wine is torture and I would rather drink cheap liquor because at least I would have to taste a whole lot less of it

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

After they kill the ad blockers the Premium subscriptions will rise for a quarter or so and level off, and I expect it'll become Limited Ads and we'll get Premium Plus (full no ads) for $6 more a month. That'll get the numbers up for another quarter out of the most dedicated

Until the next quarter, of course.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

GolfHole posted:

*at first.

for the record I use a twitch ad blocker for tampermonkey called https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/419066 it works fine and it has always worked fine. I think at most when the ads run it changes from 1080p to 720p and then back again.

ALSO SUPER IMPORTANT!!!

always check the sticky on /r/uBlockOrigin/

example: https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/173jmog/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_09_2023/

it's true that a zillion dollar company like google has the upper hand but the mouse is going to get away from the cat at some point. just like it has always been

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

GolfHole posted:

*at first.

It may go through that point, but it's unsustainable

I can't see the mythical Normal Person putting up with that for long. And even if they somehow did, next year's profit growth would require things to become yet worse.

I suspect that the worst-case coping strategy would simply be, "wait for the worst to pass".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hazy IPA is a plague, robbing us of shelf space that could have good beer on it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
ads vs blockers will be an arms race until it gets to a breaking point where people either stop using the service altogether or organized mass piracy starts happening, i'd imagine. seems like a big waste of time/money/effort/hardware to me, but :capitalism: i guess

ay nice, i've been subbed to yall for awhile now

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

RuBisCO posted:

holy moley I think you just changed my life
Np, enjoy it while it lasts!

Edit: The existence of the apps, I mean. Not your life. Well, both I guess.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 11, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

withak posted:

Hazy IPA is a plague, robbing us of shelf space that could have good beer on it.

Yeah, “North Eastern IPA”’s are the only beer I cannot drink besides Sours, and I can drink some Sours.

I bought one that disguised the fact it was a NEIPA and angrily poured it down the sink and never bought anything from the company again.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Atopian posted:

Until the next quarter, of course.

"Next" quarter? There is only the perfect Now, the future isn't real my friend

punct
Jan 9, 2022

withak posted:

never got the appeal. so many choices just to fund out it’s 90% IPAs

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They’re easy to make

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Easy to make and dumping a ton of oats in to make it hazy covers up poor brewing technique.

There are some legit good breweries that just make a couple NEIPAs to fund their actual good beers but chances are that new brewpub that just popped up out of nowhere overnight and has nothing but hazies, pastry stouts, and syrupy sours is a VC-backed scam.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

IPAs ruined beer culture just like all those bourbon assholes and now there is peanut butter bourbon or some poo poo. If you want to get hosed up take a shot and then drink a good beer as your normal instead of SUPER DOUBLE 24 HOUR IPA RASPUTIN BOMB WITH HABANERO or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

DrPossum posted:

I got grandfathered into youtube premium for 8/mo for getting google music 100 years ago and I'm waiting for that to die
I received an email like 2 months ago saying mine ends before the end of the year, luckily Google FI unlimited subscribers get one year free YouTube and music so I'll worry about it a year from now. It's going to $13.99

Woolie Wool posted:

gently caress that, a drinkable bottle of Chardonnay is like $18 and it only goes up from there, bad wine is torture and I would rather drink cheap liquor because at least I would have to taste a whole lot less of it
Black box is great, bota box is fine, Franzia's swill turned a whole generation against box wine but some of it is actually better than bottles unless you are paying like $40 per.

You can get 4 bottles of wine in a box for $20 or less and I swear it's good, yeah it's a blend but it stays fresher even.

I mostly mess with Cabernet Sauvignon black box, but all our friends agree it's good.