Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

more like al least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Not winning that first game was brutal for the O’s. They very easily could have had that and shifted the momentum big time (not sure it would have ultimately matted though).

Maybe at least getting blown out of the playoffs will make it that much more clear that the O’s need to make more significant moves this off-season. If they made it to the WS or something they may have been tempted to claim their pitching is fine. And admittedly, it actually ended up being way better than expected for a lot of the season.

But man, what a good problem that organization has for the near future. Literally way too many good young position players to make use of them all. Elias knows what he must do.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We desperately need to trade some of our infield talent for pitching and the problem is everyone else knows it. Rumor at the deadline was that everyone's asking prices for the O's was hilariously inflated because come on, you got all those prospects, you can totally give up Joey Ortiz or Jordan Westburg for our middle reliever. Real question is who's going to be available? Cease, maybe? One of Seattle's young pitchers? If we are going to break the prospect bank, we might as well swing for the fences.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sucks for the Os, I was rooting for y'all to rough up the Rangers some.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I would bet many hundreds of dollars that the Mets aren't hiring Joe Maddon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1711944101292105939

lol Cubs not even waiting for the end of the postseason to begin the annual bloodletting of coaches.

Artix posted:

We desperately need to trade some of our infield talent for pitching and the problem is everyone else knows it. Rumor at the deadline was that everyone's asking prices for the O's was hilariously inflated because come on, you got all those prospects, you can totally give up Joey Ortiz or Jordan Westburg for our middle reliever. Real question is who's going to be available? Cease, maybe? One of Seattle's young pitchers? If we are going to break the prospect bank, we might as well swing for the fences.

Pretty much anybody on the Mets, Padres, or White Sox should be seen as 100% available since all three have made noise about slashing payroll. Hell I bet the Mets would part with Senga for an attractive prospect package at this point. If you believe in what either Wacha or Musgrove did for the Padres this year is legit they're probably going to be available too.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

lol Cubs not even waiting for the end of the postseason to begin the annual bloodletting of coaches.

I don't know what a "game strategy coach" is but did it involve using PCA as a pinch runner to have him get TOOTBLAN'd cos that poo poo was dumb as hell

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Artix posted:

The Cubs can give you this totally reliable Jameson Taillon for the low, low price of one (1) Jordan Westburg

What's that? There are plenty of decent free agent SPs on the market this year? That doesn't sound right, you probably shouldn't even bother checking

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Snell and Hader to the Orioles is a non-trade that both teams should spend all winter thinking about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dinosaurs! posted:

drat RIP O’s. Very fun season to follow, though. Feels like they only had a couple blowout wins this year and scraped together nail biters the rest of the way. I know they’re missing a consistent power threat (which hopefully one of the young guys develops into) but Angelos is going to need to shell out for some starting pitching if he wants this window to stay open.

It's cool that you feel this way, my memory of the Rays season was it was fun in April then things just Got Worse with each injury and scandal. Even though we won 99 games.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Sucks. Orioles have now lost 7 straight playoff games and real bad to get swept after not getting swept in so long and also not having any playoff games in so many years. Youd like to be optimistic but even though the future looks good its not guaranteed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We just saw the high water mark of the Orioles under this owner

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Don’t judge too harshly, I’m sure Peter and John Angelos will open up their books any day now

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was all downhill after Angelos inserted himself into the AL East clinch night by claiming the team had signed a new lease when it was just a “memorandum of understanding”

8 game postseason losing streak: 2014 ALCS 0-4, 2016 wildcard, and now 0-3 this year

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Pretty much anybody on the Mets, Padres, or White Sox should be seen as 100% available since all three have made noise about slashing payroll. Hell I bet the Mets would part with Senga for an attractive prospect package at this point. If you believe in what either Wacha or Musgrove did for the Padres this year is legit they're probably going to be available too.

Chris "Not that Chris Young... or that other Chris Young" Young

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Bregor posted:

Don’t judge too harshly, I’m sure Peter and John Angelos will open up their books any day now

They did at times like in 2004 they signed Miguel Tejada. And of course in the 90s. It was mainly
starting pitchers they never wanted to pay for probably for some dumb reason like "well they only play once every 5 games" so they tried through the draft but every single one always failed, and then every trade in their late 90s firesale+rebuild attempt was a bust so that set them back big time. So I dont think acquiring some big hitter is out of the question but in terms of getting a great starting pitcher I doubt it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What good SP is a FA this winter?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

euphronius posted:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/starting-pitcher/

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

You can't have him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eric the Mauve posted:

We just saw the high water mark of the Orioles under this owner

Yeah the O's owner said he wants to use the Rays as a guideline for how to financially run the team :whitewater:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The whole Kevin Brown debacle cursed the Orioles

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

They did at times like in 2004 they signed Miguel Tejada. And of course in the 90s. It was mainly
starting pitchers they never wanted to pay for probably for some dumb reason like "well they only play once every 5 games" so they tried through the draft but every single one always failed, and then every trade in their late 90s firesale+rebuild attempt was a bust so that set them back big time. So I dont think acquiring some big hitter is out of the question but in terms of getting a great starting pitcher I doubt it

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to their occasional promises at some sort of financial transparency, but yes they probably won't go after any of the big FA SPs. The good news is there's some decent depth in the market and they just need to supplement with Bradish and GrayRod looking pretty locked in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uh you don’t want to be the Rays when it comes to FA. Their biggest FA signing ever was Zach Eflin at 3/$42 mil this offseason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Urias and Gray (33 already) and ... not much else.

Assuming you arent signing Ohtani to pitch.

edit

I would not sign Snell to a huge deal

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 11, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ohtani will top out the market by a mile, followed by guys like Snell, Nola, and Gray. Urias would have been in that tier if he could stop hitting women but apparently that's just too much for him. Yamamoto is pegged as more a 2/3 guy than a true ace but he's gonna get a ton of interest because of his age. It's also possible Stroman opts out in which case he's probably in a third tier with guys like Montgomery, Giolito, and Flahrety.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

edit

I would not sign Urias to any deal

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

euphronius posted:

edit

The big name is at the bottom of the list, Yamamoto.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone is signing Urias

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'd love to see the Rangers bring back Montgomery. Their rotation next year is made up primarily of guys who's arms are at various stages of detachment.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mdemone posted:

You can't have him

He also can't pitch until at least 2025

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

Oh no Ohtani will only provide 35-45 HR's and be the best hitter on my team for a year before he can go back to also being the best pitcher on my team as well.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Bandire posted:

I'd love to see the Rangers bring back Montgomery. Their rotation next year is made up primarily of guys who's arms are at various stages of detachment.

Yeah I really want Monty to come back. He's been fantastic for us and fits in the rotation perfectly. Our rotation next year would be pretty set with Scherzer, Eovaldi, Montgomery, Gray, and Dunning (and maybe de Grom for a playoff run if things go perfectly). Beyond Monty we desperately need to upgrade the pen.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I don't think anyone is signing Urias

"I'm so loving glad we got Urias!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
On the one hand Urias is the first ever player to violate the domestic abuse policy twice - and by all accounts the second incident was particularly heinous - so I expect MLB to come down on him like a sack of bricks and rightfully so. Nobody's throwing tons of money at a guy suspended for a season+, and we have examples of both very good players (Bauer) and very young players (Russell) getting run out of the league for this kind of poo poo.

On the other hand, Urias is both very young and very good, like top 3 Cy finish last year and just turned 26 two months ago young and good. Quite possible that once his suspension is up there will be teams willing to touch the poop, unfortunately.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He had a 4.60 ERA this year. I remember watching I think his last start before the DV incident and he looked completely checked out.

I don't think anyone wants to deal with the headache of having Urias on their team especially if he's not pitching well.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Well don't sign him then

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

trade for anthony rendon instead

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

trade for anthony rendon instead

I will send an amount of my personal money to any franchise that gets that chickenshit gold-bricking son of a bitch out of my life

I can't do this for another season

Edit to be more clear about it

mdemone fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 11, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

quote:

"We're going to make some changes. Some may be more subtle than others," Steinbrenner said Wednesday during Sportico's Invest in Sports conference. "Possibly personnel but not necessarily personnel. It could be practices. It could be the way we communicate."

LOL they are running it back again, aren't they............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a very mild shake up is in store for those Bronx Bombers