Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Imagine you see the previews, hear this line, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQAqprjOuA&t=27s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

just don't read dude. take it easy. look at a picture of chartres cathedral if that's more your speed. reading is too hardcore for some people

I'm gonna have sex with that cathedral in a story I write

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Since both characters are the product of the exact same brainwaves, fictional sex is the only true consent.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

The Great Twitter Diaspora: PYF tweets, skeets, and toots
PYF Hellsite hellsip: Microdosing the apocalypse 256 characters at a time

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beeswax posted:

Tweets are tweets no matter what platform you're on

A tweeter's a tweeter no matter how dumb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It doesn't say "now I'm Exorcist: Believer", false premise

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Modal Auxiliary posted:

maybe we really have hit the saturation point as far as self-insert characters rawdogging Disney intellectual properties go.

Maybe

If you're a COWARD

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ellen burstyn eat the eggs

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Blue Moonlight posted:

ellen burstyn eat the eggs

...or cyst

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's no colon in the movie's logo. It's clearly called the exorcist believer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-Me when I believe the exorcist.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm gonna have sex with that cathedral in a story I write

Don't forget the rectory.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Dameius posted:

Don't forget the rectory.

That's where the bishopric is located.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/visakanv/status/1711569744263074105?s=20

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

saving_private_ryan_aging.gif

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Beeswax posted:

Tweets are tweets no matter what platform you're on

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Who could this be?

can't be me, I don't mention my geocities account in flirting

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

can't be me, I don't mention my geocities account in flirting

You're making a mistake because it clearly works.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Who is this and what is it about, besides from SA being full of old fuddy-duddies?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

this kinda thing used to be something would say at a party or an anime club once and the entire group would stop to shame that person into never saying anything that dumb again.

now it's everybody's problem

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's fascinating! Is there research on which kinds of thumbnails work, or is it mostly conventional wisdom?

e: Designing the marketing campaign when only an early draft of a book is available is pretty standard in publishing.

I've been binging the last few years' worth of this thread over the last few months (great way to re-visit modern history and find some good tweets before they disappear!), and this is maybe close enough to the present day to comment on.

Because this was literally what Mr Beast did. That's specifically how he got to where he is. While everyone else was studying the blade or whatever, he and a few of his friends devoted every waking hour, for like a thousand days, to studying how to maximise views on YouTube. From thumbnails, to titles, to concepts, to length, to execution, to all of it. And I don't think there was much research for them to read, no, it was mostly their own trial and error. He then applied that knowledge to his channel, they all went from a few thousand subscribers to a million, and became the juggernaut it is today.

Same kind of thing with Lil Nas' X too, although his was a lot more luck than science. But he was living on his sister's couch, specifically trying to come up with a hook to game the algorithm and go viral on tiktok, and he happened to stumble on Old Town Road, and boom, twitter gets a bit better.

Anyway, so this isn't just a re-run of a dee-rail, after going through all of the tweets, I'm pleased to announce the best:

https://x.com/t_sfea/status/1313148432891219970?s=20

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I've been binging the last few years' worth of this thread over the last few months (great way to re-visit modern history and find some good tweets before they disappear!), and this is maybe close enough to the present day to comment on.

Because this was literally what Mr Beast did. That's specifically how he got to where he is. While everyone else was studying the blade or whatever, he and a few of his friends devoted every waking hour, for like a thousand days, to studying how to maximise views on YouTube. From thumbnails, to titles, to concepts, to length, to execution, to all of it. And I don't think there was much research for them to read, no, it was mostly their own trial and error. He then applied that knowledge to his channel, they all went from a few thousand subscribers to a million, and became the juggernaut it is today.

Same kind of thing with Lil Nas' X too, although his was a lot more luck than science. But he was living on his sister's couch, specifically trying to come up with a hook to game the algorithm and go viral on tiktok, and he happened to stumble on Old Town Road, and boom, twitter gets a bit better.

Anyway, so this isn't just a re-run of a dee-rail, after going through all of the tweets, I'm pleased to announce the best:

https://x.com/t_sfea/status/1313148432891219970?s=20

You remember FreddieW/Freddie Wong? The (ex?) goon who bought the original Johnny Three Testicles drawing for like 5 grand? And I guess of Rocketjump and early VFX video viral hits?

As I understand it, he wrote a masters thesis or some poo poo in college around 2006 delving into all this stuff super early - how to make a video that goes viral etc - almost before youtube even existed. Like "Terry Tate Office Linebacker" and poo poo were getting passed around as MPGs on Limewire and he quite perceptively got a handle on what the media ecosystem around online video was gonna be. Then parlayed it into a successful career doing exactly what he'd laid out in research, basically. It's cold and calculating to view it that way but it worked.

MrBeast confused me for a long time - his popularity seemed 100% astroturfed into the mainstream in a way Pewdiepie and other YT stars didn't. To me it was inexplicable: his content wasn't really specific to a subculture (gamers or whatever) or particularly new or original, and guys like Kjellberg were very in-clubby with their fans rather than as widely appealing as possible as MrBeast seems to aim for. But hearing that basically he psychopathically obsessed over and researched how to do what he did actually makes me more at ease with his fame. It gives it a structure I didn't perceive before.

Like he basically was the awful baby gronk dad, but for himself on youtube rather than a son in the NFL. Terminator style. I don't like that approaches like that can work in ostensibly creative fields, and I wouldn't want to know much more about any of it, but it's kind of fascinating from a distance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He sometimes gives tips he says are crucial for youtube success, which seem obvious in retrospect but aren't widely done, like making sure the beginning of your video proves you are going to fulfill the promises you made in the title and thumbnail, otherwise a lot of people will click away immediately.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

minato posted:

That's where the bishopric is located.

I turned myself into a bishop, morty

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I wish people would stop making those stupid faces in their preview thumbnails, though. The Algorithm might like it, but it puts me right off and I find myself scrolling past.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

You remember FreddieW/Freddie Wong? The (ex?) goon who bought the original Johnny Three Testicles drawing for like 5 grand? And I guess of Rocketjump and early VFX video viral hits?

As I understand it, he wrote a masters thesis or some poo poo in college around 2006 delving into all this stuff super early - how to make a video that goes viral etc - almost before youtube even existed. Like "Terry Tate Office Linebacker" and poo poo were getting passed around as MPGs on Limewire and he quite perceptively got a handle on what the media ecosystem around online video was gonna be. Then parlayed it into a successful career doing exactly what he'd laid out in research, basically. It's cold and calculating to view it that way but it worked.

I do remember Freddie, good times. I thought his skill was just VFX, and it was wonderful to watch him hone it. I didn't know he put the work into the virality too, that's interesting.

Speaking of the early days of passing MPGs around before youtube existed, another fun little historical tangent story is the role of Jon Stewart on Crossfire. It was the popularity of that clip specifically which made one of the YouTube founders think "wait, digital video file sharing is going to be a Thing, and there's gotta be an easier way to do it", and now here we are.

If it wasn't that it probably would have been something else of course, but that's what it was.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The algorithm just optimises based on human response tho. Those thumbnails wouldn't be the default if people didn't respond to it. The algorithm is unfeeling optimisation, it doesn't have an emotional bias. The thumbnails, style of video titles, et al are a result of the algorithm responding to numbers increasing.

What I'm saying is people are the problem, and we really need to restart humanity to correct the values being fed into things. Does anyone know the reset button? Like soft reset tho, not hard reset. Let's not go insane.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

The algorithm just optimises based on human response tho. Those thumbnails wouldn't be the default if people didn't respond to it. The algorithm is unfeeling optimisation, it doesn't have an emotional bias. The thumbnails, style of video titles, et al are a result of the algorithm responding to numbers increasing.

What I'm saying is people are the problem, and we really need to restart humanity to correct the values being fed into things. Does anyone know the reset button? Like soft reset tho, not hard reset. Let's not go insane.

This isn't true. YouTube gives videos with human faces in the thumbnail a boost, and the detection is bad so opening your mouth and eyes increases the likelihood that it will recognize the face and thus get that boost. YouTube also looks for text in thumbnails and will boost or throttle depending on how much text and what size it is. Some creators think there are other tests too, so you'll see people with a religious adherence to weird stuff, like never putting any exactly horizontal or vertical lines in the thumbnail.

We know about face detection for certain from old blog posts. We know it's still around and doesn't work well, as well as any other boost/throttle algos, because of aggressive A/B testing. There are some communities who will do collective A/B testing and come up with recommendations (this allows them to correct for unknown or uncontrollable variables that might be specific to a single channel or interest tag) but they seem to reach bizarre conclusions that don't pan out like including an Among Us guy or a toilet or plants in the thumbnail, so I tend to rely more on people who do multiple thumbs for every video and A/B test themselves, preferably by actually speaking to them about it.

I sometimes shadow edit for people I know and every one of them has their own cargo cult thumbnail bullshit. Honestly I mostly don't do thumbs anymore because tracking each person's rapidly evolving and deeply unhinged preferences is too much.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm still blaming people tho you can't stop me, I'll find the big reset button one day. Like the fountain of youth, but resetter of poops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also just because a strategy is prolific doesn't mean it's actually good? There are plenty of historical incidences where the established best practice is a product of limited thinking in the prominent institutions.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

syntaxfunction posted:

Asteroid. Big one.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

Asteroid. Big one.

The ol’ flatten and reinstall

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This isn't true. YouTube gives videos with human faces in the thumbnail a boost, and the detection is bad so opening your mouth and eyes increases the likelihood that it will recognize the face and thus get that boost. YouTube also looks for text in thumbnails and will boost or throttle depending on how much text and what size it is. Some creators think there are other tests too, so you'll see people with a religious adherence to weird stuff, like never putting any exactly horizontal or vertical lines in the thumbnail.

We know about face detection for certain from old blog posts. We know it's still around and doesn't work well, as well as any other boost/throttle algos, because of aggressive A/B testing. There are some communities who will do collective A/B testing and come up with recommendations (this allows them to correct for unknown or uncontrollable variables that might be specific to a single channel or interest tag) but they seem to reach bizarre conclusions that don't pan out like including an Among Us guy or a toilet or plants in the thumbnail, so I tend to rely more on people who do multiple thumbs for every video and A/B test themselves, preferably by actually speaking to them about it.

I sometimes shadow edit for people I know and every one of them has their own cargo cult thumbnail bullshit. Honestly I mostly don't do thumbs anymore because tracking each person's rapidly evolving and deeply unhinged preferences is too much.

I want to start making youtube videos of follies with my curvy goonette wife, because that's something we're both interested in and would be a fun thing to make and do, but christ alive the idea of having to make thumbnails with me clapping my hands to my cheeks like Kevin McCallister while a big red arrow points to a grotto fills me with a deep and powerful dread. But if I don't do that, there's a solid chance that days of scripting and editing will end up with three views. Harrowing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Flint_Paper posted:

But if I don't do that, there's a solid chance that days of scripting and editing will end up with three views. Harrowing.

Put a photoshopped portrait of whoever built the folly in the thumbnail

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Put a photoshopped portrait of whoever built the folly in the thumbnail

But then every thumbnail is the same painting of Bloody Stupid Johnson??

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nope no asteroid larger than one that burns up spectacularly please

Flint_Paper posted:

I want to start making youtube videos of follies with my curvy goonette wife, because that's something we're both interested in and would be a fun thing to make and do, but christ alive the idea of having to make thumbnails with me clapping my hands to my cheeks like Kevin McCallister while a big red arrow points to a grotto fills me with a deep and powerful dread. But if I don't do that, there's a solid chance that days of scripting and editing will end up with three views. Harrowing.

If you rely exclusively on that then yes, if you share them in other ways then no.

and who gives a poo poo about the views anyway, you just said it would be a fun thing to make and do

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The science behind thumbnails is bad. The content is bad. But it all shouldn't matter, because not even doomed ADHD children should want to watch any of it. But millions of people will tune in to see whether rhett and link can tell the difference between two different store brand peanut butters. More will gleefully sit through a brutally obnoxious josh weissman cooking video. My wife watched for I dont know how long the other evening as some rooster teeth chuds watched a live street feed from outside some florida bar and played bingo from it. And advertised merch for it. I hate them all.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

[watching a 2 hour video where the creators have fun discussing their creative process in writing fake creepy stories] hmm I think we should wish for an asteroid to kill humanity

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

codo27 posted:

The science behind thumbnails is bad. The content is bad. But it all shouldn't matter, because not even doomed ADHD children should want to watch any of it. But millions of people will tune in to see whether rhett and link can tell the difference between two different store brand peanut butters. More will gleefully sit through a brutally obnoxious josh weissman cooking video. My wife watched for I dont know how long the other evening as some rooster teeth chuds watched a live street feed from outside some florida bar and played bingo from it. And advertised merch for it. I hate them all.

Sorry about your based twitch mod wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I watch gardening videos on YouTube.

Initiate the eschaton.