Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mllaneza posted:

A Bolognese sauce takes a minimum of three hours; not on the menu, not happening. They might have been able to make a totally basic carbonara, but I don't see any cream sauces on that menu so they might not have the ingredients. OP admits that the chef told him that now he knows what OP likes he'll make him something tailored to his tastes. For free. That's an amazing opportunity, but OP gonna OP.

Four key words from the menu:

If it's a real Italian place then carbonara means just cheese, egg, meat, pepper, and pasta. Technique is a big deal in the preparation though and the cooks may not be trained up enough to make it well.

But the menu, if that is the place, focuses heavily on seafood, veal, and several DOP and/or authentic imported products. Asking for a plain spaghetti with red sauce and a carbonara is like ordering off the kids menu.

This is the true Italian carbonara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c86H7KTxTzo
It's actually really hard to get right, that chef is famous for another method that vastly simplifies making traditional cacio el pepe.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

idiotsavant posted:

Good point on the bolognese, and for the carbonara they have cream in other pasta dishes but I don't see guanciale anywhere on the menu so that's out the window, too. They have plenty of good, simple pastas tho so idk why dude is crying about not getting carbonara. TBH it sounds like some dopey flyover state couple going on vacation and getting mad that the menu is in another language, because most of that menu is pretty easy to translate and none of it seems crazy complicated.

I did have a similar experience at a local bar that's a casual offshoot of a Michelin starred place. They have a bunch of special bar specific cocktails but I asked the bartender for a regular cocktail. They had all the ingredients for it and that he absolutely should have known how to make it, but he got all bent out of shape that I wasn't ordering one of their house cocktails instead. But like... dude, wtf is wrong with wanting a really well made classic cocktail? And wtf kind of bullshit bartender are you that you're mad about making customers a drink? So fuckin weird.

It doesn’t even seem like they’re on vacation, they just say that they went to a slightly fancier restaurant. Everyone in the story seems to be Portuguese other than maybe the chef.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mllaneza posted:

A Bolognese sauce takes a minimum of three hours; not on the menu, not happening. They might have been able to make a totally basic carbonara, but I don't see any cream sauces on that menu so they might not have the ingredients. OP admits that the chef told him that now he knows what OP likes he'll make him something tailored to his tastes. For free. That's an amazing opportunity, but OP gonna OP.

A basic carbonara needs no cream. Bacon, scrambled eggs, black pepper. Add to spaghetti. Boom.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Samovar posted:

A basic carbonara needs no cream. Bacon, scrambled eggs, black pepper. Add to spaghetti. Boom.

True, but what do you want to bet OP was expecting a cream sauce? Like I was.

pentyne posted:

This is the true Italian carbonara
It's actually really hard to get right, that chef is famous for another method that vastly simplifies making traditional cacio el pepe.

Okay, I'm schooled. I have got to get me some of that.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
“no i am an Italian chef it is not possible”

“well LA is notorious for being expensive”

“sending back a burger? what are you, a climate monster?”

this thread rules

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont get why everyones so bent out of shape, italian food is just poorly prepared chinese anyway

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The entire Italian military just went on high alert and they're coming for you.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So like 12 guys?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ApplesandOranges posted:

It doesn’t even seem like they’re on vacation, they just say that they went to a slightly fancier restaurant. Everyone in the story seems to be Portuguese other than maybe the chef.

Sure, everyone's Portuguese and all that. All the stuff about the menu being complex and not what they usually eat sounds like any number of low-info conservatives who would rather look for a reason to get mad than to try something new and enjoy themselves. And yeah the restaurant reaction is all goofy as hell too

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The guy's reaction to being told "bolognese makes like three hours to make if you're doing it properly" in the actual reddit thread is basically "oh, that makes sense, fair enough, weird that they wouldn't just say that though."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

reignonyourparade posted:

The guy's reaction to being told "bolognese makes like three hours to make if you're doing it properly" in the actual reddit thread is basically "oh, that makes sense, fair enough, weird that they wouldn't just say that though."

I'd put some credit for poor communication on the chef, if it weren't filtered through an idiot like the OP. It's a potential ESH, but this fucker is involved.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

To what? Say that Barduak is right in person?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm reminded of the time we were at a restaurant in Italy and they had gnocci alla Norma (eggplant sauce) on the menu and very few other vegetarian options. My wife asked the server if they could do spaghetti or linguini (both on the menu) alla Norma instead and they came back out and said it was technically possible in extremis with a huge eye roll that seemed to come directly from the chef. She got the spaghetti with tomato sauce. Who the gently caress wants gnocci alla Norma?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I do. Therefore, everyone does, and anyone who doesn't is wrong." -that chef, apparently

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"I do. Therefore, everyone does, and anyone who doesn't is wrong." -that chef, apparently

it's literally a chef's job to design a menu so yeah

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, that should have been a clue to the state of the used car market.

I doubt a comparable car would be going for 10k today, but 4-6k? Pretty easy. There may have even been a point where it would go for 10k, things have actually cooled down from the pandemic stimulus peak.

Yeah, at the time I figured it was the parts they wanted, since I know that the parts of a car can be more valuable separately than the car is as a whole. I didn't even consider until today that the market changed *that* much that even a dealership would pay me more for it; in hindsight, maybe I should have, considering I expected maybe a quarter of what they gave me.

I was curious and did a quick carfax search for Corolla to see if area might influence things, and a city about midway from the rural area I bought my last car (the 02 Corolla) and the suburban area I bought my current car has an 04 Corolla for 1,999 that has no reported accidents and 108k miles on it. Assuming there's nothing unreported and it's not behind on any repairs, that's a pretty drat good deal and actually better than any ~2002 car I've ever owned. There could be an issue I'm not seeing online (and since only 7 counties in my state require Echecks, that might also be influencing price/reported condition), and it is a manual transmission, but it's still a Toyota Corolla. If it's in at least decent shape as implied, then it'd be reliable for basic use. The first Corolla I see that's confirmed to be an automatic is also an 04 but nearly twice the price at 3,795 but also only 135k miles. It's also much closer to my current location, in a suburban area but also has at least one accident reported whereas the other car did not. I now wish I could have learned if they cut up my old car or fixed it's minor issues (or not, it's a used car, after all) and sold it back out again. And if the latter, what it sold for.

I also tossed in a Zip code for Denver, CO, considering I know from family the COL is higher there, and the first listed Corolla is an 04 automatic for 5,699 and 215k miles. A quick google suggests that Mississippi is the cheapest COL state in the US, and in Columbus, MS the cheapest Corolla is also an 04, and is an automatic for 4,900 with a whopping 291k miles. Just for quick comparisons.

So, it seems that area and/or supply still has some level of influence on car price that might make it easier to try to find something cheaper but worthwhile. (Again, assuming these reports are complete and accurate, I would still have a mechanic/etc check them first.)

Still depressing, even if it's not *as* terrifying as I initially thought.

Ohio is apparently the sixth cheapest state in terms of COL and now I'm supremely depressed because I hate this place so much.

On more current topic:

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for ordering traditional Italian dishes at an Italian restaurant?
Edit: Both Bolognese and Carbonara are Italian dishes and not American as some comments seem to think

I'm leaning towards everyone in this story being either an rear end in a top hat or at least a dumbass, for the reasons y'all have already hashed out, but this sentence has me deeply concerned.

AITA for saying "circumcision" when the office lady wouldn't stop asking me what my sick day was for?

quote:

Throwaway because are you loving serious.

I [22M] am a middle school teacher who failed up into a job I'm not qualified for and I've been so stressed that I lost 15 pounds. I called off work a week in advance for a mental health day to get a sub, and filled out an office form for a sick day because I don't have like, personal PTO yet.

The office lady wasn't thrilled with my form and kept asking why I was calling off, how I knew I'd be sick a week in advance, etc. I tried to deflect with oh it's personal, oh just a doctor's appointment, all that poo poo and she wouldn't drop it. Said I could take a half day for an appointment, shouldn't use my sick time. And I sure wasn't gonna tell her my sick day was a sick of this job's bullshit day, so the 4th or 5th time she asked I just snapped and said circumcision, I'm getting circumcized again. No idea where it came from since I'm not Jewish but it ended the conversation.

I've been told that this was rude and that I should've just walked away but like ??? I try to end all conversations long before circumcision comes up. But also like, as a teacher I know I should be professional, and I'm gonna have fairly regular contact with this lady, so AITA?

TL;DR AITA for saying my day off was for a circumcision

Well, he finally found a reason she'd accept....

I think combating assholery with assholery is justified here.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

True, but what do you want to bet OP was expecting a cream sauce? Like I was.

Okay, I'm schooled. I have got to get me some of that.

Do it! I found a deli nearby that sold guanciale and pecorino, and the difference is huge. Guanciale tastes nothing like bacon (or anything else I can describe really) and is really delicious.

On the other hand, I still like doing it with parmesan and smoked bacon, it still tastes good even if it's not authentic.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Do it! I found a deli nearby that sold guanciale and pecorino, and the difference is huge. Guanciale tastes nothing like bacon (or anything else I can describe really) and is really delicious.

This is eerily similar to how barbacoa evolved as tex-mex dish.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Don't know about reactors, but my Grandad was able to get his certificate from the NATO Nuclear Weapons school.

Not sure how much more in-depth it goes beyond "press red button"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Barudak posted:

I dont get why everyones so bent out of shape, italian food is just poorly prepared chinese anyway

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Foo Diddley posted:

AITAH for suggesting my roommate move out because her asthma accommodations are ridiculous?

apparently, the one smell that kate can stand is her own bullshit

Kate had a point at first, nearly all incense, some scented candles and some very strong perfumes make it actually hard for me to breathe or give me migraines. But that's something that's possible to compromise on, like OP only doing that in her own room and ventilating after. Throwing stuff away is just unacceptable, and don't even start with the yelling.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Technocrat posted:

Don't know about reactors, but my Grandad was able to get his certificate from the NATO Nuclear Weapons school.

Not sure how much more in-depth it goes beyond "press red button"

First you enter the passcode, which for a while was just 00000000

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Pirate Radar posted:

First you enter the passcode, which for a while was just 00000000

The RAF's weapons literally had a wheeled padlock, like you'd get on a bicycle lock

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
This is going to sound petty, but I think I can understand why that chef was so annoyed. The thing about the special orders on the menu is probably there for the one picky eater in the group, not a license to disregard the menu entirely. An entire party coming in with no intention of ordering from the menu is a different situation and I can see why it would annoy the staff. "Why would you come here if nobody plans to eat what we serve?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Asthma girl should get herself checked for being in the spectrum. I’ve had weird issues with smell
My whole life - most hand soaps smell incredibly powerful to me. I can smell them hours later and it’s revolting if I can smell them on my hands while eating. Turns out this may be related to having some
Neurodivergence I’ve been realizing over the last year.

Not as bad as she feels, but yeah, strong smells make it hard for me to concentrate. My exception is food - bake those cinnamon rolls all day friend.

Throwing out other peoples poo poo is unacceptable though. And if you know you are that sensitive, you say it up front instead of making yourself and everyone else miserable.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

DeeplyConcerned posted:

So like 12 guys?

It doesn't matter, all you have to do is cut their access to water and they'll desert (assuming you're in North Africa).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
AITA for saying we'd only help with my ex's kid's party if we could tell people we're engaged?

quote:

This guy, "Jack", and I were together for about a year, and within a couple weeks of ending it I found out I was pregnant. I texted Jack to tell him, and a couple hours later this woman, "Liz", showed up at my place saying she and Jack had been together for 6 months, and she was also pregnant, and when the text arrived she got my address out of Jack's phone so she could talk to me before him. I told her everything, and Liz dumped Jack. I was about 6 weeks along at this stage, and she was 12 weeks.

Liz and I weren't exactly bezzie mates to begin with, but Jack took a huge step back when he realised how angry at him we both were, so Liz and I ended up doing pregnancy stuff together. When my roommate said that she didn't want to live with a baby, Liz suggested we move in together. Jack objected, but we told him to get lost and moved in together.

Over the years we got closer. I've always known I was bi but when our kids were a year old, Liz realised that she was gay, and when the kids were about 5 Liz asked me out. We knew it was a little weird, but nothing about our relationship before this was conventional so we figured why get hung up on "normal" now. We've been together 4 years now, and Liz proposed a few months ago. I said yes.

Jack has been an involved parent this whole time, paying us both child support and having custody on alternate weekends. He's met someone new, married a few years ago, and they have a son, "Tommy". Tommy looks up to the 9 year olds (my son, Liz's daughter) and loves them a lot, and they adore their little brother.

Tomorrow, Tommy is having a socially distanced birthday party for his 5th birthday. The current guest list is both sets of grandparents, an aunt/uncle/cousin trio, the neighbour's son, then me, Liz, and our kids. They've kept it pretty small for obvious reasons, and there's only going to be 5 kids there total, and Tommy is good friends with the neighbour's kid but not so much with his cousin.

The party is on a day that Jack doesn't have custody, so he's asked us to bring the kids as a favour. He's also asked us to stay and help with the party because I'm a pretty decent baker/cook and he's asked me to make the cake, which I agreed to (and it looks pretty good if I say so myself).

But now, the day before the party, Jack has told me and Liz that his wife's family are homophobic, so for the duration of the party he's going to need us to pretend we're straight, single mums, because Jack is "already on thin ice with them" for getting 3 women pregnant. We said we'd drop the kids and the cake, but not stick around because Jack's parents hate us both anyway and we won't hide our relationship. Jack has said we're being unreasonable, he needs us to do this as a favour, and we already agreed to help so we can't bail on him the day before the party.

Are we TA?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

AITA for saying we'd only help with my ex's kid's party if we could tell people we're engaged?

Some people just were never hit in the nuts hard enough. This dude is one of them.

Props to him for being so awful that 2 people realized they wanted nothing more to do with men.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Seems to me like his parents would think that his loving around made his two exes gay, and that is wrong but also hilarious. A friend of mine is bi, and her boyfriend cheated on her, so they broke up, and years later she got married to a nice woman, but this being a small town, his parents found out and blamed him for "making her hate men so much she'd date women."

AITA for being the reason my younger siblings said no to being adopted by our stepmom?

quote:

I'm (16M) the oldest of 4. My siblings are Calia (13F), Thea (11F) and Dex (10M). Our mom died 8 years ago. Calia and I are the only ones who remember her and I remember her more than Cal does. But we have always shared stories of our mom with Thea and Dex. I also have a bunch of photos and videos they've seen and they do ask about her, including to our dad sometimes.

Two years after mom died my dad met my stepmom and married her pretty quickly (7ish months later). At the time they spoke about her adopting the four of us. I said no. There was some debate between them and they decided to hold off until she could adopt all four of us. She was still new to me so I found it incredibly weird to have someone offer to adopt me 5 months after I met them and especially when she and my dad were both aware that I remembered mom.

None of my siblings have ever called our stepmom "mom". Thea and Dex call her by a nickname and Calia calls her by her name like me. But my siblings consider her a parent while I consider her more my dad's wife.

The adoption topic never really went away and a couple of years ago I did some research and learned that adoption would alter my birth certificate and I would be issued with a new one if I agreed. My stepmom's name would replace my mom's name as my mother. I did a lot of research on the topic because I knew the issue would reach a boiling point eventually. I even got to web chat with a local lawyer who knew the details of that stuff.

A couple of months ago my siblings asked me why I mentioned downsides to being adopted and I told them stepmom's name would replace mom's on our birth certificates and I did not want her to replace mom on mine. I showed them what I found. Calia understood and Thea and Dex got it when we put it into more kid friendly terms.

My dad and stepmom brought up the adoption again last week and dad said it would be the last time or they would proceed with her adopting my siblings. I said my answer remained no and gave them a very detailed speech on why. My stepmom said I could always frame my original birth certificate if that would make it better and people would see it but I would still be adopted and be her son. I said no.

When they did go to my siblings they all said no and all said they didn't realize mom's name would be erased and they didn't want that. My dad and stepmom tried to coax them out of their no but they all said they didn't want it and Calia said they only ever said yes because they felt like they should, not because they really wanted to be adopted.

My dad was furious with me and said it was all my fault and I had made them change their minds. He said I robbed them of the security adoption would provide and effectively made sure they would never truly see our stepmom as mom after such a big line in the sand was drawn.

AITA?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Scrambled eggs in spaghetti? What kind of twisted mind created such a thing?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being the reason my younger siblings said no to being adopted by our stepmom?

I don't get the brainworms on this one, what's the security afforded by adoption that couldn't be provided by an amendment to the father's will?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cowslips Warren posted:

And another one for the "We could have let a parent-child-relationship develop naturally but the parents really needed to force the issue RIGHT NOW and now nobody is happy" pile.

Theophany posted:

I don't get the brainworms on this one, what's the security afforded by adoption that couldn't be provided by an amendment to the father's will?

None.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
quote is not edit

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Theophany posted:

The security of a parent's unconditional love that suddenly turned out to be conditional.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sullat posted:

In the carbonara recipes I'm familiar with, you don't scramble the eggs ahead of time; you cook the meat in oil, butter, and wine, whisk the eggs and cheese together separately, and then combine both with the freshly-drained pasta as soon as it finishes cooking. The hot oil mixes with the eggs and the heat from the oil and the spaghetti cooks them into a rich sauce that clings to the noodles.

If you're not confident in your ability to get the eggs to set that way, you can do the mixing in the still-hot pasta pot, or in a wok over a bit of heat, to help set the eggs.

I've never seen bacon, scrambled eggs, and spaghetti in the wild, but seems like it would be a decent way to make an ersatz carbonara if you have the ingredients but are stuck using a single hotplate or something -- cook the bacon, buffer it and scramble the eggs with some bacon grease, toss with the spaghetti. Definitely won't replace proper carbonara but might still be tasty?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

sullat posted:

My kid gets Highlights magazine, and some of the food suggestions in there blow my mind. Somehow, my kid will try random poo poo he sees in there, which is good because he's a somewhat picky eater. The other day we found out he likes toast with jam and cheese. Jam and cheese?! WTF!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nocheez posted:

My kid gets Highlights magazine, and some of the food suggestions in there blow my mind. Somehow, my kid will try random poo poo he sees in there, which is good because he's a somewhat picky eater. The other day we found out he likes toast with jam and cheese. Jam and cheese?! WTF!

Does he put the jam on first or the cheese? This is important.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I could see that being a good combo if you use a savory jam like a chutney.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I make homemade fig jam. Its delicious on crackers with some nice aged cheddar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baron Zephyrus posted:

AITA for saying "circumcision" when the office lady wouldn't stop asking me what my sick day was for?

Well, he finally found a reason she'd accept....

I think combating assholery with assholery is justified here.

Not the rear end in a top hat but not really smart in the long run. You never want to get on the office staff's shitlist. Bring cookies and apologize.