Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hal Insandenza posted:

What are all those drive slots? CD-ROM, 3.5” floppy, and…?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fridge corn posted:

Somehow that is even more lol

check the video out, it's a wonderful timecapsule

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Mine had a slot loading CD drive, a floppy disc drive AND a zip drive :)
I still have my zip disks with old compressed MP2 files on them. No actual way of using them, but hey!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Call me when they sell hot pink covers for the new PS5 to match the one I got on my phatty

(not my pic, but i got the same setup)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

the "super-floppy" market.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

holy lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My brother had a minidisc player and it was pretty sweet to use. Sounded really good too.
I had the mp3 cd player though and could fit way more on my burnable discs (thanks blue and purple Vaio) than the minidisc with still pretty great quality.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This is going to sound like mythology, but there was once a single disc that contained both the install for the original Quake and the pilot for South Park and it shut down whole companies for a long, long time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Modern Video Games posted:

My brother had a minidisc player and it was pretty sweet to use. Sounded really good too.
I had the mp3 cd player though and could fit way more on my burnable discs (thanks blue and purple Vaio) than the minidisc with still pretty great quality.

I had a late model minidisc player in 2001 and it owned, but yeah, I think I sold it to a friend for a song the following year because CD-Rs came in so hot and they made mixtapes way easier. The friend was super grateful and used it for actual audio recording which is cool, but I should've been a bit more knowledgeable about how good that tech was and not let go of it. For a while though I was throwing 2 or 3 CDs worth of music onto a disc by using the compressed mode and the form factor owned. I think it sells for the very same price today that I got it for new 2 decades ago.

Looked like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I had a late model minidisc player in 2001 and it owned, but yeah, I think I sold it to a friend for a song the following year because CD-Rs came in so hot and they made mixtapes way easier. The friend was super grateful and used it for actual audio recording which is cool, but I should've been a bit more knowledgeable about how good that tech was and not let go of it. For a while though I was throwing 2 or 3 CDs worth of music onto a disc by using the compressed mode and the form factor owned. I think it sells for the very same price today that I got it for new 2 decades ago.

Looked like this

My brother's was exactly the same, but dark blue. It really did sound ace.

This was my CD player.

Kind of wild how many Sony products I have owned over the years. Never really thought about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

God I miss the chunky feeling of loading a cassette or a disk. Modern technology is missing the chunk

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

lmao fat gurl with the lump aint goin nowhere goon, she is the superior piss

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

hatty posted:

If the new PS5 design eliminates coil whine I may look into trading mine in and swapping tbh

Is that still a thing? Thought it had more to do with lovely home power connections or people mistaking the drm dsic spin up back when it was really loud, before the firmwares fixed it. Still havent heard poo poo but maybe i got lucky. Its a silent beast.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

njsykora posted:

I like discs because they're usually cheaper than digital. I don't have any huge attachment to modern physical but I also don't want Sony to have complete control over the marketplace.

Remember when digital was supposed to be cheaper lol. Insane how backwards it all is. Never buy digital only unless its under 10 quid (20 bucks)

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Played the 5hr trial for Cyberpunk and had a blast with the Nomad story.
It wasn't what I expected but had a real good time with it.

Amazon has the disc for £14 just now, so I got it.

I picked the Nomad story, do the others make the game completely different, or is there just a different introduction to the game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not really. You have some different contextual answers and will recognize certain characters depending on your background, but it's not exactly Dragon Age Origins.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s just different introductions and some extra dialogue options. The corpo and street kid intros are pretty short, I hear the nomad one is longer. Of the other two, street kid has definitely given me the better dialogue options.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

People say its fake in the leak circles, but given all the smoke of tf2 severs and whatnot.... the 3 fire has gotta be there

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Looked like this

Yes! I almost guessed minidisc but I’d never seen one in a PC.

I had both that model you did and a first or second generation minidisc recorder I bought way back in 1994.

I still have all my minidiscs (but no player) including an actual retail version of Pink Floyd’s Collection of Dance Songs, as well as one I recorded the soundtrack to PS1 Grand Theft Auto right from the old black CD the game was on. And one filled with movie quotes pulled off of LaserDiscs that we plugged the LD player audio straight into the MiniDisc recorder and spent a night getting high and queueing up various discs to try and make a coherent “script” splicing together stuff from maybe a dozen movies. Wish I had a way to play that back now.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Oh man I found a picture of it!

Look at that weirdness!

Sick!!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s just different introductions and some extra dialogue options. The corpo and street kid intros are pretty short, I hear the nomad one is longer. Of the other two, street kid has definitely given me the better dialogue options.

I’ve done Nomad and Street Kid but I don’t think I could ever bring myself to be a stinking Corporat

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

BigHandsVince posted:

Played the 5hr trial for Cyberpunk and had a blast with the Nomad story.
It wasn't what I expected but had a real good time with it.

Amazon has the disc for £14 just now, so I got it.

I picked the Nomad story, do the others make the game completely different, or is there just a different introduction to the game?

Just the start but you get life path options during some convos throughout the game. Nomad as a few other things too tho, like a different outcome to an early quest and the ability to tune jackies bike so it becomes a better variant later on.

Each life path also has its own act 2 quest. Originally there were going to be way more lifepaths like the pnp. That would have been sick.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

My brother's was exactly the same, but dark blue. It really did sound ace.

This was my CD player.

Kind of wild how many Sony products I have owned over the years. Never really thought about it.

How “car ready” was that thing other than having the tape adapter. I don’t think I ever had one that wouldn’t skip unless you were driving on a freshly paved road.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MP3 cd players were relatively skip-proof because they weren’t constantly reading off the disc to playback

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I had a Creative Muvo, it was an awesome mp3 player that was basically a usb stick with a battery attached to it and a headphone jack. Thing totally kicked rear end.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hal Insandenza posted:

How “car ready” was that thing other than having the tape adapter. I don’t think I ever had one that wouldn’t skip unless you were driving on a freshly paved road.

It was actually amazing. Never skipped. Not the mp3 because it was just data, but also had a 15 second buffer for actual CDs so you could shake it and it would play fine. Really surprising considering how incredibly still you had to keep early personal CD players. It was a walkman after all, and not a sitman.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I had a Creative Muvo, it was an awesome mp3 player that was basically a usb stick with a battery attached to it and a headphone jack. Thing totally kicked rear end.

I had this :D I actually collected MP3 players for a long while. I had the very first one, the Creative Nomad DAP with USB 1.0 transfer. 6GB laptop hard drive inside. Then I got a Zen Jukebox Xtra (I modded it last year and put an SSD in there and replaced the battery and OS), an iPod, a Zune HD, a Zen Stone, a Zen Xfi, a Cowon X9, and Cowon Plenue.

Currently use the X9. I love sound and sound devices. PC speakers are a big thing for me as well, I have tried so many kinds over the years trying to get something that sounds good. I had a pair in the US that I had to leave behind that if I could get them now here in the UK I would in a heartbeat. They were the richest sounding pair I have ever owned: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I am not an audiophile who goes after gold cables or anything, I just really love sound devices and sound listening. My mp3 collection is about 60k all tagged with artwork (sometimes my own that I have personally made) and I dig organising media :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I had that one back in 2003. It lasted for another 5 years until I had issues with the headphone jack. It was nice since it could use rechargeable AAA batteries. 128mb was the bad part but for running and at 128 bitrate mp3's there was enough room.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Had something similar to that, maybe it was a later model, that was more like a straight up USB stick with a headphone port. You could fit three whole albums on it!
Then like two years later I bought a modern phone that outstripped it completely.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It was actually amazing. Never skipped. Not the mp3 because it was just data, but also had a 15 second buffer for actual CDs so you could shake it and it would play fine. Really surprising considering how incredibly still you had to keep early personal CD players. It was a walkman after all, and not a sitman.

I still remember the moment I first encountered the 15 second skip protection buffer technology, I was so blown away by it I basically screamed now this is pod racing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Is that still a thing? Thought it had more to do with lovely home power connections or people mistaking the drm dsic spin up back when it was really loud, before the firmwares fixed it. Still havent heard poo poo but maybe i got lucky. Its a silent beast.

mine has coil whine from the power supply but only when playing PS5 games, and it also has the noisy model fan :negative:

still quieter than a PS3 or PS4 tho

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah! Had this too, loving owned. Kinda miss it, still got it somewhere but these days its just easier to copy over the mp3 folder onto your phones sd card :shrug:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I still remember the moment I first encountered the 15 second skip protection buffer technology, I was so blown away by it I basically screamed now this is pod racing

Frankly I am surprised you had/have anything more advanced than a magnetic reel-to-reel tape player

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

mine has coil whine from the power supply but only when playing PS5 games, and it also has the noisy model fan :negative:

still quieter than a PS3 or PS4 tho

drat!

I barely remember the fan stuff, was it different fan models and shapes and you had to take it apart to check?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

drat!

I barely remember the fan stuff, was it different fan models and shapes and you had to take it apart to check?

I don't think other than listening to it there is a way to tell outside of opening it. Maybe someone figured out a way by serial number?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah! Had this too, loving owned. Kinda miss it, still got it somewhere but these days its just easier to copy over the mp3 folder onto your phones sd card :shrug:

It really did own. It could barely fit any albums on it but tbh a 12 year old doesn't need many albums. I had the version before it too without the screen, and the upgrade was amazing to me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The secret to beating coil whine is having tinnitus

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I play all my games with noise canceling headphones… I wonder if my system is noisy and I just never hear.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If a PS5 Pro ever gets announced I'll get the Playstation logo tattoo'd somewhere.

Also mini-disc ruled - love that little tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
One thing I will say about Scarlet Nexus is that the haptics and triggers are pretty neat. Using R2 for your telekinesis powers gives you a meaty pull on the adaptive trigger, but as you're running around and throwable objects come in and out of view and you can feel the controller clicking and clacking as it prepares for you to start throwing poo poo. Idk if it was intentional but it really gives the sense of being able to feel the world and objects around you as like an extrasensory projection of having telekinetic powers. Really cool.

Shame about the rest of the game tho!!