Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
IMO Basically your entire company should, if at all possible, use the same ticketing system. I recognize that means that some uses are going to be suboptimal but that's not nearly as much of a pain in the rear end as the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

It's probably relevant context that our "product org" is... 2 people? And we have 12 engineers, that's if you count 3 students we support in their PhDs that are doing longer-term R&D.

Yeah that's important context

Many companies ago, I was employee #26 and the management & product teams were using.... asana and... m something, while engineering was using JIRA to some minimal extent. Thankfully about 6 weeks after I started they finally ripped the bandaid off and moved everyone over to JIRA and cancelled their asana + m__ subscriptions. We scaled to 150 people over the next two years it was pretty successful, except when someone from product would try and reformat all 27 jira projects to use the same XYZ custom fields and delete half the tickets (this last part happened at three different companies take heed

Sounds like you're 6-12 months away from unifying your ticketing system, good luck

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

IMO Basically your entire company should, if at all possible, use the same ticketing system. I recognize that means that some uses are going to be suboptimal but that's not nearly as much of a pain in the rear end as the alternative.
Yep, I'll second this, I have to use Jira for half my poo poo and ServiceNow for the other half and it's just the worst, either alone would be much better.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

try and reformat all 27 jira projects to use the same XYZ custom fields and delete half the tickets (this last part happened at three different companies take heed

Yeah our Jira instance is customized to hell and has a billion plugins and like 15 years of history. It's barely recognizable and a bear to manage and do upgrades on. Every few years some manager decides they will be the conquering hero who tames our Jira. Then they start looking into the nuts and bolts of making it happen and realize removing this one custom field breaks 500 other things. Or this super expensive plugin that everyone else hates is critical to Finance closing the books each month or something. They inevitably surrender in despair.

0/10 do not recommend giving every team in a large company autonomy to do whatever the hell they want with their Jira projects. I feel great pity for the IT group who is eventually going to have to deal with porting this poo poo heap to Jira Cloud.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
When I worked at Microsoft there was a period of time where my team has six different ticketing systems to use that had zero interoperability and it was a loving nightmare. I also used Visual Studio Online / Azure DevOps as our incident management tooling, so that was an interesting experience.

Before I left Azure had done a reasonably good job of browbeating everyone into the same internal tool for ticketing, which was a huge relief, although it didn't include task management, so you still basically had ADO + InternalTicketingSystem. My new BigTechCompany has literally one with different frontends for task/incident and while it's also not perfect it's such a better system.

(Side note: obviously customer-facing ticketing is probably not something you can easily integrate with your internal one for safety reasons so ignore that.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We have a customer facing system, and an "agile" ticket tool. And one of our groups insists every interaction (even with internal tools) flows through a request form in their customer facing system, which creates a ticket in that system. Then they manually copy the details into our agile tool, put a reference into the customer ticket, and resolve the ticket.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

FISHMANPET posted:

We have a customer facing system, and an "agile" ticket tool. And one of our groups insists every interaction (even with internal tools) flows through a request form in their customer facing system, which creates a ticket in that system. Then they manually copy the details into our agile tool, put a reference into the customer ticket, and resolve the ticket.

lol :psyduck:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
any backstage users here?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

my homie dhall posted:

any backstage users here?
I made $PREVJOB the first official adopter

Not sure if this was a good thing or a bad thing though

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

it's the jenkins of this decade

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

vanity slug posted:

it's the jenkins of this decade
Nobody knows exactly what it's for, but every team has built a useful feature for it? Sounds about right.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

someone tell me why nomad is bad

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We evaluated Backstage but ended up buying https://www.cortex.io/ for a service catalog / developer portal / current buzzword. The pricing wasn't too bad once we did the usual enterprise.txt dance of beating them down to 20% of the original quote. We are terrible about tracking and publicizing service ownership and dependencies so it's been very useful. As always you can't fix a culture problem with a tool, though. If there is zero consequence for not onboarding your services and not complying with standards, then guess how many people are gonna do it.

Backstage seems fine for what it is but it's also kind of a hassle to operate and maintain. We felt like it was a better use of resources to pay a company whose entire business is building a service catalog, rather than dedicate full time headcount to "Keep Backstage Running" engineers. Which is refreshing for us. I feel like 10 years ago this company would have found 1 single aspect of Backstage they didn't like, started a private fork we have to maintain forever, and then the person responsible for this choice would leave the company 6 months later. We're learning :pseudo:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 11, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

It’s a lot harder to find and hire experts in nomad compared to kubernetes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s a lot harder to find and hire experts in nomad compared to kubernetes.

https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1712146775644213290

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I like Corey but he really seems to despise k8s to an irrational extent

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

im dangerously close to falling into some koolaid here

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I just walked past him in the hallway

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Fool posted:

the lifecycle thing is half-baked - it only supports pre/main/post, so if your dependency chain is more than 3 layers deep, you need to hack something up yourself

templates and secrets (= dynamically generated config files) can only be written into a special $NOMAD_SOMETHING_DIR inside the container (or to an envvar), so hope all your services can be told to load config from an arbitrary path/envvar or you'll have to add a startup one-liner script that moves it

the podman driver doesn't support dns passthrough. also it really should be built-in at this point

the cli is missing a "nomad job $job latest-alloc status" command, I had to make a script that greps for the most recent alloc id. such pain

those are literally my only criticisms of it so far. it's been wonderful otherwise

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Docjowles posted:

It's a sentiment I've seen a lot which is basically that k8s seems to be deployed more often than its appropriate, and usually because the engineer(s) doing so are doing it because its the hot thing to do for their careers rather than what's best for the organization. Honestly I have no idea how true the sentiment is, but I did have a coworker running a k8s cluster for a single application running in a single container that never had enough demand to warrant even a second instance of the app, so I have seen it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kubernetes is great, but it absolutely demands opinionated subject matter experts (I.e. a dedicated devops team), which isn’t always feasible. There are many good alternatives for services you’re authoring yourself, from your standard serverless functions to offerings like ECS/cloud run/app service. There’s hidden gotchas that you won’t see coming, like the fact that swap doesn’t exist so you need to make sure your memory intensive stateful services can recover from getting OOMKilled in the middle of a transaction.

That being said, the ecosystem is extraordinarily broad, tons of poo poo integrates with it, vendors often author their own helm charts which makes deployments easy, and it does bin packing very very effectively. It’s a great product and so much better than running services on VMs it’s not even funny.

Also Corey is great and bought drinks for everyone at the Monitorama after party. I made a point of not asking him about anything technical, but the man is clearly brilliant as he immediately ducked out when the random drunk 20 year old girls started hanging out at our table.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The nice thing about kubernetes is that when your kubernetes guy leaves, you can hire Kubernetes contractor #12345 to come in and maintain it. He will read the helm chart, look at the terraform and know exactly where and how the app is deployed. If you ever deploy a second app, just copy-paste the helm chart and change the container name and maybe namespace(s) and now you have two apps deployed the same way on the same cluster.

If your developers push out code to an elastic beanstalk thing, fine, I guess. And then another developer starts making GBS threads out writing lambdas to fix random poo poo that could have been a cron job. And a third developer likes ECS so now all his apps are deployed over there. And you've got one role they all run under and everyone just uses that role to administrate everything and suddenly you've got a ton of tech debt, the config is spread out across three services and locking down access to service permissions is brutal because xyz problem forbids modifying the permissions

If one person can own being opinionated about how you deploy most of your services/code that's great but more often than not nobody owns that and it degrades to lord of the flies operational chaos over a couple of years as more crap services keep getting bolted on. If you already have a kubernetes cluster and the recieved wisdom is "deploy it on the cluster" generally your workspace will be acceptably organized

I talked to one company recently they're a team of 4 devs on EBS with like 3 services, but no IaC and ok with moving to kubernetes because they plan on ramping up to ~10 services over the next two years and managed kubernetes is well inside their budget as it gets them to operational maturity much faster

Doesn't help that permissions with aws->eks is kind of sloppy; gke is a dream to work with by comparison

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

yeah the value of having the shared lingua franca in k8s should not be underestimated, which is why we don’t deploy much to cloud run/app service/ecs as the expense of running k8s is already baked in.

I’d still use serverless functions over k8s whenever remotely feasible though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been looking at a few of the SecretOps tools and one thing I am not understanding is, what does the process look like for defining a new secret and rolling it out to all the necessary environments? Is the operations team just supposed to look at the dashboard before a release and say "oh poo poo there's a red X in the UI here where the secret value hasn't been specified yet" and then they specify the value and then the release proceeds?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

SecretOps feels like a quintessential zero interest rate phenomenon.

Just build it into your normal test/release cycle. You’ll have a secret store - whether you roll your own or use a managed service. Your deployment pipeline will probably fetch from that secret store and either bake it into your container as an envvar or your application can query from a secret store and fetch it during runtime. Both have obvious tradeoffs.

In either event, adding new secrets is something that is defined in code and deployed as code, and your standard merge request reviews and integration tests should catch things like “oops forgot to set foo:bar in prod” easily enough.

As far as updating secrets goes that’s so service specific it’s not really worth building a product out of, but hey maybe I’m wrong. Kubernetes will at least automatically restart your pod if the mounted secret object changes!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Iron Rose posted:

SecretOps feels like a quintessential zero interest rate phenomenon.

Just build it into your normal test/release cycle. You’ll have a secret store - whether you roll your own or use a managed service. Your deployment pipeline will probably fetch from that secret store and either bake it into your container as an envvar or your application can query from a secret store and fetch it during runtime. Both have obvious tradeoffs.

In either event, adding new secrets is something that is defined in code and deployed as code, and your standard merge request reviews and integration tests should catch things like “oops forgot to set foo:bar in prod” easily enough.

As far as updating secrets goes that’s so service specific it’s not really worth building a product out of, but hey maybe I’m wrong. Kubernetes will at least automatically restart your pod if the mounted secret object changes!

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the part that I'm having a having a trouble visualizing what it looks like:

quote:

In any event, adding new secrets is something that is defined in code and your standard merge request reviews and integration tests should catch things like “oops forgot to set foo:bar in prod” easily enough.

How does that work, if the value of the secret is not something that is being committed to a repo?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In my experience the developer is responsible for that, and ops ends up doing a lot of hand holding

New secrets would be loaded into the test environment using a sops encrypted yaml file, test-secrets.yaml or whatever, then when they're ready they'd modify qa-secrets.yaml, and finally roll out the change to prod.yaml

Helm will fail if you try to render a template with a missing value, so you will catch it then. I'm not sure how you ensure a process is validated, I guess you could do a line count of the config files or something and block PR merge if they don't match. This is largely a process based problem imo, I'm curious about automating this too, but I'm not sure how you automate "don't forget to add the secret to prod" without some kind of secret intake process

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

fletcher posted:

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the part that I'm having a having a trouble visualizing what it looks like:

How does that work, if the value of the secret is not something that is being committed to a repo?

So I’ll describe two approaches. One we commonly use for kubernetes apps, and one we commonly use for everything else. They are actually the same approach when you get down to it.

Fundamentally, you have an identity associated with your running service, and have code inside your service that queries your secret store and authenticates with its identity to retrieve and decrypt the secret. At that point, it’s up to the service to decide what to do with it.

We use gitlab runners, but literally anything that can run arbitrary code as part of a CI pipeline will do fine here. Each gitlab runner is instantiated as a kubernetes pod, so they are ephemeral, and have an identity (either the k8s service account or a cloud specific workload identity). The runner will authenticate to and query your secret store for the secret, and then do whatever it needs to do with it (for example, authenticating to our private container registry before pushing an image).

For kubernetes deployments, we use helm for our deployments, and we use helmfile (https://github.com/helmfile/helmfile) to orchestrate coupled releases. We often have a need to provide secrets as environment variables or mounted volumes for vendors, and it can be convenient for our own authored services as well. We do this using the helm-secrets plugin (https://github.com/jkroepke/helm-secrets), whereby we store a reference to the secret in code. The CI pipeline will take that reference, decrypt the secret, and pass the decrypted value to the data field for a kubernetes secret object. This secret object would be one Helm release, or the Helm chart needs to define a secret object to store its secrets. The chart for the application that needs the secret can then reference the secret object. Note that Helm treats kubernetes secret data as sensitive, so the plaintext secret is not exposed in job logs (conversely, sensitive Helm values that aren’t referencing secret objects *are* shown in plaintext). The application pod can then reference the secret as an environment variable or mount it as a volume as need be, which would be defined by the Helm chart and how it passes values to the k8s template.

The above is specific to kubernetes and helm but the concept can be applied anywhere. you store a reference to the secret in code, and then whatever is executing that code (your pipeline jobs, the service during runtime, etc) will retrieve the secret from your secret store and put it where it needs to go (into kubernetes’ secret store, or as input into a request, or whatever you need to logically do with the decrypted secret). Only the reference is exposed in your VCS. That reference can be SOPS encrypted, or it can literally just be the URL (or url fragment) where you’d retrieve the secret over the network, or if it’s a Kubernetes application it can just be the secret and key name.

As a side note, while you *could* in theory store secrets as an envvar or file in your container image, i would highly recommend otherwise. Anyone who can pull the container can access the secret, and often that’s a broader group than anyone who can access your application during runtime or the backing secret store.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 12, 2023

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'll preface this by saying that I wasn't responsible for janitoring the Nomad/Consul/Vault servers themselves, but helped lead the move of a system with hundreds of developers and tens of millions of users to that stack a few years ago at a former employer. We weren't the biggest Nomad deployment but definitely one of the larger ones. Outside what felt like a run of self-inflicted teething problems, it was mostly trouble-free. I have a hard time blaming Nomad for not putting firewall rules in place to keep production from kissing test when misconfigured one day, for example.

I did bump into the lifecycle issue mentioned above and we ended up changing some things to fit better with Nomad's model where possible and hacking around it with scripts where we couldn't. It had some rough edges a few years ago, sounds like that's still the case. I would still recommend a serious look at Nomad, for all the rough edges in development it was solid from an operational standpoint.

Task Drivers were a big deal for this company, it meant they could orchestrate legacy workloads on existing hardware and then migrate to upgraded hardware transparently without downtime, which was a huge win given the SLAs and penalties involved for unscheduled downtime. The ability to orchestrate non-container workloads and write plugins for runners that didn't exist natively was a gamechanger and was ultimately why Kubernetes wasn't adopted there.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Iron Rose posted:

So I’ll describe two approaches. One we commonly use for kubernetes apps, and one we commonly use for everything else. They are actually the same approach when you get down to it.

Fundamentally, you have an identity associated with your running service, and have code inside your service that queries your secret store and authenticates with its identity to retrieve and decrypt the secret. At that point, it’s up to the service to decide what to do with it.

We use gitlab runners, but literally anything that can run arbitrary code as part of a CI pipeline will do fine here. Each gitlab runner is instantiated as a kubernetes pod, so they are ephemeral, and have an identity (either the k8s service account or a cloud specific workload identity). The runner will authenticate to and query your secret store for the secret, and then do whatever it needs to do with it (for example, authenticating to our private container registry before pushing an image).

For kubernetes deployments, we use helm for our deployments, and we use helmfile (https://github.com/helmfile/helmfile) to orchestrate coupled releases. We often have a need to provide secrets as environment variables or mounted volumes for vendors, and it can be convenient for our own authored services as well. We do this using the helm-secrets plugin (https://github.com/jkroepke/helm-secrets), whereby we store a reference to the secret in code. The CI pipeline will take that reference, decrypt the secret, and pass the decrypted value to the data field for a kubernetes secret object. This secret object would be one Helm release, or the Helm chart needs to define a secret object to store its secrets. The chart for the application that needs the secret can then reference the secret object. Note that Helm treats kubernetes secret data as sensitive, so the plaintext secret is not exposed in job logs (conversely, sensitive Helm values that aren’t referencing secret objects *are* shown in plaintext). The application pod can then reference the secret as an environment variable or mount it as a volume as need be, which would be defined by the Helm chart and how it passes values to the k8s template.

The above is specific to kubernetes and helm but the concept can be applied anywhere. you store a reference to the secret in code, and then whatever is executing that code (your pipeline jobs, the service during runtime, etc) will retrieve the secret from your secret store and put it where it needs to go (into kubernetes’ secret store, or as input into a request, or whatever you need to logically do with the decrypted secret). Only the reference is exposed in your VCS. That reference can be SOPS encrypted, or it can literally just be the URL (or url fragment) where you’d retrieve the secret over the network, or if it’s a Kubernetes application it can just be the secret and key name.

As a side note, while you *could* in theory store secrets as an envvar or file in your container image, i would highly recommend otherwise. Anyone who can pull the container can access the secret, and often that’s a broader group than anyone who can access your application during runtime or the backing secret store.

Thanks for the detailed write-up, this is super helpful. This seems to thoroughly cover reading the secrets, but what's the process around writing the secret values to the secret store?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

fletcher posted:

Thanks for the detailed write-up, this is super helpful. This seems to thoroughly cover reading the secrets, but what's the process around writing the secret values to the secret store?

There's no real way around either having a human do that one, or having some service generate and upload the secret in question.Very much depends on what you're building, and most of the time that's a human doing so.

Implicit in the concept of a secret store is that the values change semi-infrequently. Hashicorp Vault, to its credit, has a lot of support for generating truly ephemeral credentials, which it largely does by operating as an intermediary that generates ephemeral tokens on your behalf. Similarly, there are various cloud provider offering that do similar things - Azure AD App Proxy, GCP IAP/auth proxy, etc - and you can always implement OIDC if you want a truly modern authentication protocol for secure communication between services.

Obviously, it's not possible to do that all the time. Sometimes you just need to store an API key or client secret somewhere and there's often no better way to do so other than to have a human with write (not necessarily read) access do it.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 12, 2023

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Does Nomad have the ability to inject it's child processes with secrets from Vault yet?

I haven't looked at it in a really long while, but modern k8s stuff with Vault is so drat nice where you can do things like generate k8s secrets from an operator or inject secrets into pods through various forms.

Without really knowing that side of the ecosystem, it really feels like there is way more built around k8s.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they've been really playing up the integration with vault and consul this week so maybe it can now?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

The Fool posted:

they've been really playing up the integration with vault and consul this week so maybe it can now?

Imagine they'll loving gut you on per-user licenses.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

drunk mutt posted:

Imagine they'll loving gut you on per-user licenses.

even worse, it's a per identity license for vault.

vault's a fantastic product but a quarter million+ a year for support and the enterprise features is pretty steep. it's classic hashicorp: make the free product amazing, and the enterprise version juuuuuuust too expensive.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

drunk mutt posted:

Does Nomad have the ability to inject it's child processes with secrets from Vault yet?

I don't use Vault, but from the docs it looks like it's had that since the start?

This is from 0.11.x which is the earliest documentation available:

code:

template {
    data = <<EOF
      AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID = "{{with secret "secret/data/aws/s3"}}{{.Data.data.aws_access_key_id}}{{end}}"
    EOF
  }

Current integration:
https://developer.hashicorp.com/nomad/docs/integrations/vault-integration

https://developer.hashicorp.com/nomad/docs/job-specification/template#vault-integration

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I just assumed Nomad was using consul-template?

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Nomad is completely adequate software, which is about the highest praise I can give to any of the modern container infra shitstack.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
re: secrets management, there's an axiom I always fall back on:

If you're writing a secret to a secrets database, and that secret isn't some kind of bootstrapping secret, you obviously aren't rotating that secret. Think about how to fix that situation (hint: have the thing doing your secrets rotation seed your secret too), and everything else about your secrets management strategy is going to fall into place around it without you even trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Nomad is reportedly on the lowest list of poo poo hashicorp works on and let’s face it. Hashicorp doesn’t have the best reputation lately.

If you want a simple k8s then use k3s single node.