Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Aphrodite posted:

The vegetarian option is actually *only* $150.

Will they digest it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zero One posted:

The GOTG effect is just a copy of the teleporter from the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas.
I never got to experience it, to my lasting regret. Is that how they did that?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Since I don't consider CoP a ride, FoP is my favorite ride in any Disney park in the world.
Not Cosmic Rewind or Rise of the Resistance? I have CR as most fun, but RoR as the best ride because holy poo poo, what a virtuoso tour of the absolute state of the art in every facet of ride design.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Since I don't consider CoP a ride, FoP is my favorite ride in any Disney park in the world. Which, saying that out loud, it's kind of pathetic.

Why? Flight of Passage is a masterpiece. It's by far the best theater-based simulator in existence. It's the only simulator to give me an actual stomach dropping feeling.

They did everything right in the design to not make it really a ride about Avatar, the film, but rather just a surreal, tranquil experience that still somehow ties into the core themes of the park without being blatant about it. I always use it as an example of Disney understanding attraction design better than Universal, because Disney understood to show restraint and just let your flight speak for itself. Nothing "goes wrong", the beauty and emotional response of the experience is just as important as the thrills. If Universal made it, your flight would be interrupted after 20 seconds because uh oh, the bad guys are back and they're attacking and we need your assistance!

And then there's a bunch of little neat touches, like how the queue conveys the theme of science and technology both clashing and coexisting with nature without ever stating it, or how the end of the ride abruptly smash-cuts you from a beautiful vista of a sunset back to the sterile, cold, bleak lab where there is no acknowledgement of the beautiful sights you just saw.

further viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_d_dMul3ls

(Sorry, I was just debating this with a friend on FB!)

Basically I think Flight of Passage is peak modern theme park design (along with Rise), even if I prefer physical sets over simulators.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It rules
I want variations now

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Upsidads posted:

It rules
I want variations now

This would be cool, as long as they maintain the vibe and don't introduce any element of battle.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Let me hunt ewoks

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah. The pre-show started with you waiting in line for a "Star Tours" type simulator complete with a safety video for your upcoming ride on a Starfleet shuttle. You get assigned to rows and everything. Then as the doors are about to open the lights in the room flash and you hear the familiar transporter sound. Suddenly you are in the Enterprise D transporter bay.

I actually did a behind the scenes tour where they did it with the lights on. The whole fake ride room, walls and ceiling, are quickly lifted into the air and hidden behind the ceiling of the transporter room which moves quickly to hide everything. I believe GOTG is almost identical.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

Bouncing tangentially off of that, has anyone else noticed that Disney has figured out they can essentially flashbang guests to sneak impressive scene transitions past them? They do it in FoP to cover up the metal covering on the screen dropping away, and they do it in GotG:CR to remove the walls when they're 'teleporting' you.
They kind of do the same with Runaway Railway in Hollywood Studios too. Maybe it's even more like a flashbang what with the smoke. It's funny that if you know when to look away from the flashes you can see through it all and get a good idea for how the ride works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zero One posted:

Yeah. The pre-show started with you waiting in line for a "Star Tours" type simulator complete with a safety video for your upcoming ride on a Starfleet shuttle. You get assigned to rows and everything. Then as the doors are about to open the lights in the room flash and you hear the familiar transporter sound. Suddenly you are in the Enterprise D transporter bay.

I actually did a behind the scenes tour where they did it with the lights on. The whole fake ride room, walls and ceiling, are quickly lifted into the air and hidden behind the ceiling of the transporter room which moves quickly to hide everything. I believe GOTG is almost identical.

Yeah it lifts up, but instead of something sliding in to cover it the bottom of the wall has patterning and lights on it so when it's retracted up there it just looks like part of the ceiling design.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Arquinsiel posted:

They kind of do the same with Runaway Railway in Hollywood Studios too. Maybe it's even more like a flashbang what with the smoke. It's funny that if you know when to look away from the flashes you can see through it all and get a good idea for how the ride works.

I literally stood at the front so many times until I figured out how that opening works. One of my favorite effects ever - along with the magic mirror at Enchanted Tales with Belle.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it lifts up, but instead of something sliding in to cover it the bottom of the wall has patterning and lights on it so when it's retracted up there it just looks like part of the ceiling design.
That is obnoxiously clever. loving Imagineers.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Not Cosmic Rewind or Rise of the Resistance? I have CR as most fun, but RoR as the best ride because holy poo poo, what a virtuoso tour of the absolute state of the art in every facet of ride design.

I am pretty sure I can't ride Cosmic Rewind. I have to hold my breath on the drop on Pirates so I don't spook going down it. Cosmic Rewind would probably kill my wimpy little self. RoR is a lot of fun, but the various transfers between ride, walk, ride makes it feel a little more disconnected and choppy to me. It's a really pretty ride and really well done, but it's probably 5th or 6th on my list overall. I actually like Smuggler's Run more than I do RoR. And I can do RoR just fine because I know when the drop is so I can kinda brace for it.

I jumped on FoP when it was almost brand new, had no idea what I was getting on, almost dove out the chicken exit until a CM was like "do you like Soarin'?" and then suddenly I was locked in a ride vehicle and I just kinda went "haha well I guess I die here" and no, best thing ever. Screamed during the drop like I was being murdered and had heart palpitations the rest of the day though :lol:

I don't like "weightlessness"/air time type drops even if they're brief and it causes a huge panic as long as it lasts, for all I'm better than I used to be about it. Splash Mountain was rough as hell on me and I rarely rode it, for instance. But FoP doesn't really give you that sensation and you still get the neat visualization and that's all kinds of fun for cowardly folks :3: .

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Since I don't consider CoP a ride, FoP is my favorite ride in any Disney park in the world. Which, saying that out loud, it's kind of pathetic. But I'm allowed to love the stupid swoopy Soarin + experience with blue rabbit-kitty folks. But I do wish you could throw your arms up at the part where the big drop starts down the tree tunnel tube thing and everyone gasps and I yell WEE like an idiot because that'd be super cool.

I always put my arms up at that part. Are you not supposed to? Ok I might not put them all the way up, but I certainly let go and stick my arms out. And it rules

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

I always put my arms up at that part. Are you not supposed to? Ok I might not put them all the way up, but I certainly let go and stick my arms out. And it rules

Huh, I thought the sensors on the "handlebars" would go off and emergency stop the ride. poo poo, I know what I'm doing next time I ride it then.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Sensors?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
You can Superman that ride all you want. Only sensors are probably if you try to bust out while the ride is going.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm pretty sure that the ride was designed to prevent you being able to cause problems for yourself anyway.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am pretty sure I can't ride Cosmic Rewind. I have to hold my breath on the drop on Pirates so I don't spook going down it. Cosmic Rewind would probably kill my wimpy little self. RoR is a lot of fun, but the various transfers between ride, walk, ride makes it feel a little more disconnected and choppy to me. It's a really pretty ride and really well done, but it's probably 5th or 6th on my list overall. I actually like Smuggler's Run more than I do RoR. And I can do RoR just fine because I know when the drop is so I can kinda brace for it.

I jumped on FoP when it was almost brand new, had no idea what I was getting on, almost dove out the chicken exit until a CM was like "do you like Soarin'?" and then suddenly I was locked in a ride vehicle and I just kinda went "haha well I guess I die here" and no, best thing ever. Screamed during the drop like I was being murdered and had heart palpitations the rest of the day though :lol:

I don't like "weightlessness"/air time type drops even if they're brief and it causes a huge panic as long as it lasts, for all I'm better than I used to be about it. Splash Mountain was rough as hell on me and I rarely rode it, for instance. But FoP doesn't really give you that sensation and you still get the neat visualization and that's all kinds of fun for cowardly folks :3: .
:science: It's straight track that causes that weird stomach sensation! I get it on Boomerangs(especially the way up the end spike) but not on rides with much more impressive stats because they're basically all curves all the time. Vertical track is a bit of a weird edge case in this regard because descending feet first causes the worst feeling while descending face first basically means lying down on top of air resistance. This is why a lot of newer drop towers are being built with tilting seats.

For an example that fits conveniently in a single picture:

Light Explorers' rear spike(center) causes the feeling when it disengages from the lift, if less so than a regular Boomerang, and Zadra(back left) doesn't.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

alg posted:

does anyone wear earplugs in lines/etc? I am looking to try this trip

I replied to this when it first got posted but I’d like to update. My disability accommodations finally got approved so I bought a pair of Loop Quiet earplugs to wear when I’m working in the booths during the fireworks. They work pretty well; it muffles the big noises but I’m still able to hear when people talk to me semi-decently, which I definitely need.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Roadie posted:

Flight of Passage is so good that it literally justifies the existence of the Avatar movies by itself. Ride it even if you don't like Avatar.

I've said this a thousand times.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Huh, I thought the sensors on the "handlebars" would go off and emergency stop the ride. poo poo, I know what I'm doing next time I ride it then.

lol what :psyduck:

CapnAndy posted:

Bouncing tangentially off of that, has anyone else noticed that Disney has figured out they can essentially flashbang guests to sneak impressive scene transitions past them? They do it in FoP to cover up the metal covering on the screen dropping away, and they do it in GotG:CR to remove the walls when they're 'teleporting' you.

The first time I rode Guardians and the flashing started, I knew exactly what they were doing. It's a fantastic effect.

I know Centurion Terry Crews tells you to stay away from the walls and stand inside the line, but what would happen if you just ignored him and stood against a wall? Or do they have a cast member watching to make sure everyone's compliant before they engage the effect.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

barclayed posted:

I replied to this when it first got posted but I’d like to update. My disability accommodations finally got approved so I bought a pair of Loop Quiet earplugs to wear when I’m working in the booths during the fireworks. They work pretty well; it muffles the big noises but I’m still able to hear when people talk to me semi-decently, which I definitely need.

Thanks!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hey, look, all I know is that I was told to hold on to a certain part of the ride for the duration of the ride. I do what I'm told.

also all day parking hopping is back at wdw on january 9th 2024

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The also raised prices.

Parking is now $30.
AP's are up $40-50.
Water parks are up $5.

Meanwhile at Disneyland, AP's are up as much as $150, parking is $35, and single day tickets can be as high as $195.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Just grab onto a wall on guardians for the views

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly you’d get a lot of clout by being another person to die from a Disney rise wall gag

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Let us know when you try it so we can witness a posting legend be born.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh clout chasing is not my department

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly you’d get a lot of clout by being another person to die from a Disney rise wall gag
...another?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Last time I went, a bunch of kids put their hands on the wall and the CM refused to raise it until they let go.

She legit made like 6-7 PAs to knock it off before someone get in their face about it. It was an awkwardly long time. Every time I've gone on Guardians it's been a very undisneylike experience, I dunno why but it really draws out the crazies.

e: the first time I went on, the girls in the seat behind us flashed their bras for the on-ride photo. It was so weird.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Renegret posted:

e: the first time I went on, the girls in the seat behind us flashed their bras for the on-ride photo. It was so weird.

Now that's a long standing Disney tradition. See: Flash Mountain.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

...another?

are they not just talking about america sings

Renegret posted:

Last time I went, a bunch of kids put their hands on the wall and the CM refused to raise it until they let go.

She legit made like 6-7 PAs to knock it off before someone get in their face about it. It was an awkwardly long time. Every time I've gone on Guardians it's been a very undisneylike experience, I dunno why but it really draws out the crazies.

I'm surprised they didn't have someone walk over and say something before that many announcements.

Shitloads of prices are going up WDW-property wide today so prep for a little more expense if you're going later this year, y'all.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

are they not just talking about america sings

I'm surprised they didn't have someone walk over and say something before that many announcements.

Shitloads of prices are going up WDW-property wide today so prep for a little more expense if you're going later this year, y'all.

Gonna be at WDW for a single day next week and then for two days the week after that. What's going up aside from parking + APs?

e: oh, magic maker got a hefty bump. Forgot about that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Akileese posted:

Gonna be at WDW for a single day next week and then for two days the week after that. What's going up aside from parking + APs?

e: oh, magic maker got a hefty bump. Forgot about that.

mostly incremental food stand stuff and restaurants. it's not gonna break your wallet, but if you're doing table service multiple times per day or per trip, you're gonna notice it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

mostly incremental food stand stuff and restaurants. it's not gonna break your wallet, but if you're doing table service multiple times per day or per trip, you're gonna notice it.

Cheers, that's actually helpful for the following week since my wife & I are at Epcot and DAK. Figured we'd see incremental increases on stuff since they weren't upping the non-AP tickets.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Akileese posted:

Cheers, that's actually helpful for the following week since my wife & I are at Epcot and DAK. Figured we'd see incremental increases on stuff since they weren't upping the non-AP tickets.
Oh, I was gonna ask if this was part and parcel with the yearly ticket price bump or if that's still expected later or what.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zero One posted:

Now that's a long standing Disney tradition. See: Flash Mountain.

I'll give you that, I haven't been on Splash mountain since I was a teenager so I always forget it exists.

I hate being wet in my street clothes and they're just never the same even after they dry. Especially stinky amusement park water.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Renegret posted:

Every time I've gone on Guardians it's been a very undisneylike experience, I dunno why but it really draws out the crazies.

Yeah, its weird how nearly half the people just don't give a poo poo about the pre-show and all bumrush the doors the second the teleport's done. I mean, even in the Haunted Mansion it's nowhere near that many people consistently crowding the door.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Icedude posted:

Yeah, its weird how nearly half the people just don't give a poo poo about the pre-show and all bumrush the doors the second the teleport's done. I mean, even in the Haunted Mansion it's nowhere near that many people consistently crowding the door.

what is really fun is when they do crowd the door in the Mansion, it sometimes wont' open because there is a sensor that if blocked causes the door to stay shut. I hated when people did that, but it gave me a chance to be a snarky butler, so that was something.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CapnAndy posted:

...another?

Maybe they're talking about the CoP fatality? EDIT: I meant America Sings :doh:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

what is really fun is when they do crowd the door in the Mansion, it sometimes wont' open because there is a sensor that if blocked causes the door to stay shut. I hated when people did that, but it gave me a chance to be a snarky butler, so that was something.

I hope you got to exasperatedly ask "Why are you all crowding around a wall?"

Renegret posted:

I love how they built in (it was intentional, right?) another audience participation gag like the "how bout some backstage passes" bit in Rock N Roller Coaster, when Centurion Terry wonders aloud what Epcot visitors call themselves ("DAY DRINKERS!" is the one I've heard most often).

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Hazo posted:

Maybe they're talking about the CoP fatality?

America Sings. Back in 1974 CM got crushed because she got stuck between the wall of the theater and the stage IIRC. Don’t ask me why I know that off the top of my head.