Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Tonetta posted:

the correct answer is to take the loving train/bus if you live somewhere you can, and if you don't, to relentlessly pressure your government for these facilities

sorry mate, putting up new signs to the event center, boring tunnels and installing traffic cams. No money for trains/busses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Even not considering inflation Trump had the lowest gas prices between Obama and Biden outside of one month in Obama's term.

With inflation Obama's gas prices were more like $6+

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emm_epm0_pte_nus_dpg&f=m
So yes gas prices were better under Trump

Another Trump W. Can't wait to vote for him to lower gas prices and dismantle the American empire.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Tonetta posted:

the correct answer is to take the loving train/bus if you live somewhere you can, and if you don't, to relentlessly pressure your government for these facilities

best we can do is a $500M parking structure for 80 cars

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tonetta posted:

oh yeah, definitely, american local governments have a very long history of providing public transit to anyone who asks

Apr 7, 2003

The port authority here is actively and deliberately winding down service, they just cut a shitload of routes between the second and third largest job centers in the state in anticipation of BRT plans that are three years off. It's pretty clear at this point that they're in a state of managed decline and I would be surprised if public transit exists here in a decade outside of student ghetto shuttle buses.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
the correct answer is to vote.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

oh yeah, definitely, american local governments have a very long history of providing public transit to anyone who asks

you're right, we should just relentlessly bitch into the void on a paypig forums

Apr 7, 2003

correct

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tonetta posted:

you're right, we should just relentlessly bitch into the void on a paypig forums

lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I know the whale Twitter is meh but I like the graph
https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1712117600606707793?t=RbS0OwB0LX-2lgVaI8xErg&s=19

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tonetta posted:

That's correct.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

"Seems sustainable" I chuckle nervously

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
not saying you can't accomplish anything with local activism, you can, GoBikeBuffalo has gotten some great stuff done around here

but if c-spam isn't for jokingly bitching about the realities of this stuff what is it for?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

not saying you can't accomplish anything with local activism, you can, GoBikeBuffalo has gotten some great stuff done around here

but if c-spam isn't for jokingly bitching about the realities of this stuff what is it for?

Funding the people's liberation army via illegal gofundme scams and coordinating attack positions via DM.

Apr 7, 2003

Hundreds of people are going to the Port Authority meetings every month here and shrieking that these changes will mean disabled people will be waiting in the cold for buses due to capacity and timing issues. No one listens to any of it and nothing is meaningfully being done to help those people. Every month we get a piece from the Allegheny Institute about how "expanionist public transit" must be stopped. It's pretty clear that the stone's already rolling downhill here and nothing's going to stop it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
oh well in that case i guess local activism can't do anything, correction to my previous post

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"expanionist public transit"
lmao

Apr 7, 2003

https://triblive.com/opinion/colin-mcnickle-how-the-next-allegheny-county-executive-can-start-fixing-prt/

quote:

Change is in the air with the coming election of a new Allegheny County chief executive in November. And once the new leader takes office in January, he or she can help ensure that change is the operative word to begin fixing the long-out-of-step Pittsburgh Regional Transit, researchers at the Allegheny Institute for Public Policy concluded.

“When will PRT move from being an authority with expansionist tendencies to one that efficiently operates the mass transit service it has?” ask Eric Montarti, research director, and Scott T. Cross, research assistant, at the Pittsburgh think tank.

“Much of that attitude shift has to come from the board,” the researchers say. “The chief executive should also be vocal about not pursuing major building projects in the face of declining ridership.”

Simply put, PRT costs for providing bus and light-rail service consistently rank near the top in the country among mass-transit agencies. Ridership has yet to return to pre-pandemic levels.

they run half the routes they did in 2000

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

SourKraut posted:

I recently was rushing in the morning and ended up just stopping at McDonalds to grab a quick meal to eat; getting the combo with a crappy McBiscuit or whatever with shaped egg patty, a small piece of bacon, and a non-melted slice of cheese, plus a side hash brown and an iced coffee, cost me over $14. I was expecting like $8 or $9 at most.

They've got that meal for $5 in the app. Gotta subsidize your slurry with push notifications and whatever data they get on you.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

They've got that meal for $5 in the app. Gotta subsidize your slurry with push notifications and whatever data they get on you.

there is a phenomenon i've noticed at fast food restaurants lately, especially mcdonalds:
since everything has been switched to prioritize ordering on the kiosk, app, and drive-thru, there is always a line if you go inside. These are mainly people who are elderly or, for whatever reason, do not want to use a computer. they will stand at the counter waiting for someone to come over and assist them for as long as it takes, and not say anything the whole time. Just kind of look around like "can you believe this?"

The one time I tried to tell a guy about using the kiosk to order, he just told me "i don't do computers" lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i get the drive-thru convenience and whatnot, but man even the expensive bougie cafe here that i frequent is cheaper than that

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
When the kiosk spits out a recipt to take to the cashier to finalize the transaction :allears:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

When the kiosk spits out a recipt to take to the cashier to finalize the transaction :allears:

lol just lol if you think those things actually print receipts anymore, the paper ran out ~2 months into the program and the person trained to change the receipt paper got fired and replaced twice already in that time

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

there is a phenomenon i've noticed at fast food restaurants lately, especially mcdonalds:
since everything has been switched to prioritize ordering on the kiosk, app, and drive-thru, there is always a line if you go inside. These are mainly people who are elderly or, for whatever reason, do not want to use a computer. they will stand at the counter waiting for someone to come over and assist them for as long as it takes, and not say anything the whole time. Just kind of look around like "can you believe this?"

The one time I tried to tell a guy about using the kiosk to order, he just told me "i don't do computers" lmao

makes you wonder if things really are better now, for both ends of the transaction. people have to wait more for shittier service and the workers now have to pay attention to like three different order vectors yelling at them at once with an underpaid skeleton crew

a lot of places that do online ordering stopped putting the orders out on the grubhub/ubereats/online etc shelf because people would just walk in and take a random bag and leave, so you still have to go up to the counter and pick up your order anyway. same deal if you're picking up in the drive thru, like... you still gotta go through the drive thru. what is all this technology really buying us besides complicating poo poo?

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Oct 11, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

makes you wonder if things really are better now, for both ends of the transaction. people have to wait more for shittier service and the workers now have to pay attention to like three different order vectors yelling at them at once with an underpaid skeleton crew

Things are better now, you get more orders per minute and more money for the owners. Sounds good to me.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Non computer user and call center caller here:

It's because I spend all loving day touching computers and I actually want to have a 30 second conversation ordering my cup of coffee instead of taking 1-2 minutes clicking "I'm not interested" on stuff the McDonald's algorithm thinks I want or have yet another app on my phone harvesting all my information

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Tonetta posted:

Money to the Boring Company for a feasibility study of HyperLoop, got it

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tonetta posted:

cant pressure the government if you are spending all your free time walking to work 10 miles from home with zero walkable streets and deathdozer Broncos hurtle down residential streets at 50 mph

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

cant pressure the government if you are spending all your free time walking to work 10 miles from home with zero walkable streets and deathdozer Broncos hurtle down residential streets at 50 mph

LivingInGeorgia.txt

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

luddites were right about everything.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I'm tired of everything "new" being built to be as hostile to human to human interaction as possible

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Because if the neighborhood is on the Metro Line the scary brown people will comeSomethingsomething Property Values

friendly reminder the previous MARTA ceo died under weird circumstances just shorty after proposing an expansion

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Oct 11, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Non computer user and call center caller here:

It's because I spend all loving day touching computers and I actually want to have a 30 second conversation ordering my cup of coffee instead of taking 1-2 minutes clicking "I'm not interested" on stuff the McDonald's algorithm thinks I want or have yet another app on my phone harvesting all my information

i don't care what your reasons are, i'm just noting your existence

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

12 pack of pop at the convenience store is $9.49

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

actionjackson posted:

12 pack of pop at the convenience store is $9.49

water enjoyers stay winning

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i don't care what your reasons are, i'm just noting your existence

Fair. Just saying that maybe the reason people don't want to use computer is because the computers suck rear end

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tonetta posted:

water enjoyers stay winning

yes, and i also enjoy rooibos

Business Gorillas posted:

Fair. Just saying that maybe the reason people don't want to use computer is because the computers suck rear end

not doing things on a computer and being "connected" or whatever the gently caress constantly is also great for your mental health imo

i enjoy having a mechanical kitchen timer, an analog alarm clock, etc. but i'm old enough to remember pre-internet and how much better it was

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's especially cool when the kiosks aren't tied in to any kind of inventory or other human intervention whatsoever so you order a thing and then when you get to the counter they have to tell it's not available and then they have to call their manager to punch in their code so they can void the order and the whole thing ends up being longer than if it was done entirely in-person

and then the next person walks up and it happens again because the kiosk STILL isn't saying that the item that's out-of-stock, is out-of-stock

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

stop saying this normalization bullshit at all. “it’s cheaper with the app” shouldn’t be words any of you fuckers in here type even if you follow it up with an explanation.

it is $14 whether that’s $14 or $5+your location data and life behavior information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

you can get a sausage sammy and hash for ~$2.40 after taxes without having your data stolen and resold, around here