Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

UltraShame posted:

This might be a stupid question, but what's the difference between a Geforce and a Geforce TI/AMD & XT?

They're basically different models but for whatever reason Nvidia and AMD don't want to call it a 4065 or 6650. I guess the 6650 actually exists so that's a bad example. 6675?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Since there isn't exactly a fan thread, I guess this goes here. Alphacool sent their Apex Stealth Metal Fan to Igor's Lab for review, though it's currently only available for pre-order on their German website for 29.98€. Though some skepticism is warranted when it comes to review exclusivity arrangements, based on Igor's Lab's data, it seems to be a beast: https://www.igorslab.de/en/alphacool-apex-stealth-metal-power-fan-in-an-exclusive-review/

Alphacool seemingly stumbled upon this design by accident. Fan manufacturing isn't their primary trade (they do liquid cooling equipment), but their marketing people wanted a fan with this design because they thought it would look cool. Once they had some prototypes, they quickly discovered that they had a fan that was potentially a massive leap ahead of any other fan on the market both in terms of quietness at any given RPM and airflow at any given RPM. Igor's Lab's review data seems to back this up, and the difference they are reporting is astounding.

Airflow measured as a case fan and through a 45mm radiator:

Noise level measured as a case fan and through a 45mm radiator:

If you were to normalize the 45mm radiator results to a sound level of around 32 dBA, you get a five times increase in airflow for the Alphacool fan over the Noctua NF-A12x25 (85.93 vs 17.15 CFM). Though I do wonder if normalizes for measured sound level results in the same subjective volume level. That chart for 45mm radiators suggests that the Alphacool at 2400 RPM is as loud as the Noctua at 900 RPM, but the noise samples at those RPM levels make the Alphacool sound a lot louder to my ear. Though those samples may not be precisely calibrated to be directly comparable, I dunno. Either way, these are still extremely impressive results. And if this fan holds up to scrutiny by other reviewers, then it could very well be the revolution that Igor's Lab says it is. And Igor's Lab isn't really the kind of site to post blatantly illegitimate results. It's kind of ridiculous; after taking the crown years ago, Noctua has been spinning their wheels trying to come up with incrementally better fan designs. Then an outsider has come along with a fresh idea and is seemingly poised to completely overturn the entire PC fan industry. Well, hopefully this innovation helps breathe some new life into the scene. This is just the first go at this concept, one has to wonder what else could be done with better fan blade designs, better materials, different motor and bearing designs, different fan thickness, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a simple explanation for what makes it special?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fan blades and motor are not directly attached to the frame like regular plastic fans and are instead held in place with silicone o-rings, and the metal frame is made from a zinc-copper alloy that is said to have natural vibration dampening properties. Most of the noise made by fans come from vibration, so all of these vibration dampening aspects make for a much quieter design.

edit: Though the more I think about the results and look at the data, the more skeptical I get. I would be willing to accept that these fans are a decent bit better than existing top performers, but not to the dramatic degree that the data portrays. The data is not always consistent either. Some fans perform worse with thicker radiators while others perform better? And the pressure-optimized T30 is one of the fans that perform worse? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 11, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Incessant Excess posted:

In central Europe I'm putting together a new system for my father, who had his PC die on him. It's just for media consumption and some very mild gaming:

CPU - Intel Core i3-12100F boxed 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
intel has the edge on budget CPUs

Motherboard - MSI PRO B760M-E DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
one of the cheaper LGA1700 motherboards, not made by Biostar, who are to be avoided

Memory - TEAMGROUP Elite 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory
DDR4 memory as that saves about 60-70 Euro when also taking the motherboard into account

Storage - KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
cheapest m.2 drive with d-ram cache and 5 year warranty I could find at that size

Video Card - Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
an old GPU he already has

Case - be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case
a budget case from a well known brand

Power Supply - SeaSonic G12 GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
cheapest PSU I could find that's semi-modular, has a 5 year warranty and is from a brand I've heard from

Italics are my reasons for selecting the part in question. The main thing I'm unsure of is if going with DDR4 is the right call or if it's worth upgrading to DDR5 at that price point/use case. The system as it is comes in at 480 or so Euro with a budget in the 500 area.
out of left field,
Depending how mild of gaming, a mini system based on a ryzen 7735hs or maybe even a 5800h-ish might fit.

These kind of things
https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-Windo...4b9bf7d0d6&th=1

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
UserBenchmarks: Game 73%, Desk 89%, Work 66%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 78.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti - 84.8%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 77.2%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 251.9%
RAM: 9?02 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2x8GB - 108.1%
MBD: Asrock B450M Pro4
k
Here is where I'm at right now after a build where my infant son rolled around while I built this thing. It is doing great, but would love to upgrade for the 1-1.24k range usd. I just really want a machine that can run 1440 smooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGZL8XF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up the the 1070 when witcher 3 came out and the new monitor when cyberpunk came out.

But am looking for a full rebuild.

Was wondering if any of the amazon day deals compare to the deals at microcenter deals.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

slidebite posted:

out of left field,
Depending how mild of gaming, a mini system based on a ryzen 7735hs or maybe even a 5800h-ish might fit.

These kind of things
https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-Windo...4b9bf7d0d6&th=1

Unfortunately it's some 3D gaming and, from what I looked up, there's still a considerable gap between an iGPU and even something ancient like a GTX 970. It would definitely be nice, as I wouldn't have to put a system together then, but I don't think a mini pc would be suited for this particular use case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

take me you ANIMAL posted:

UserBenchmarks: Game 73%, Desk 89%, Work 66%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 78.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti - 84.8%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 77.2%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 251.9%
RAM: 9?02 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2x8GB - 108.1%
MBD: Asrock B450M Pro4
k
Here is where I'm at right now after a build where my infant son rolled around while I built this thing. It is doing great, but would love to upgrade for the 1-1.24k range usd. I just really want a machine that can run 1440 smooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGZL8XF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up the the 1070 when witcher 3 came out and the new monitor when cyberpunk came out.

But am looking for a full rebuild.

Was wondering if any of the amazon day deals compare to the deals at microcenter deals.

First, I'd steer clear of Userbenchmark. The admin is deranged and admits to having an extreme anti-AMD bias. Nobody in the hardware enthusiast scene takes that site seriously.

When it comes to CPU+motherboard+memory, Micro Center still has the best deals. You may be able to find some better deals on GPUs at Newegg and Amazon though. This bundle is generally seen as the best value when it comes to midrange systems, and is a good fit for a system in the $1k - $1.24k price range. And there are RTX 4070s on Amazon and Newegg that cost $520 - $550, which would be a big upgrade over your 1070 (over 2.5x faster at 1440p according to TH hierarchy, before DLSS) and is cheaper than the 4070s at Micro Center currently. Here's an example build list that comes in at the upper edge of your price range: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TmpGPF

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 11, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I built a rig about two years ago (thanks again, thread!) and I got a Fuma 2B CPU cooler. It has two counter-rotating Kaze Flex fans which work great at maintaining temp but the one in the middle of the cooler has developed a bad spot where it won't start, so once every few times I boot I have to give the blades a tap or it fails POST.

It's a really minimal problem, however I run Windows and as such the computer reboots overnight more or less whenever it wants to for updates (they've reverted my update preferences a half dozen times and even when they're set, even by group policy, it ignores them half the time anyway). That's fine, I came to terms with that two decades ago.

The problem is the intersection of these issues. Sometimes my computer reboots to install updates then fails to POST. This sucks hard, because it means when I go to use my computer I have to tap the fan then wait for Windows Update to gently caress around for sometimes up to 20 minutes before I can, say, join a call (take a wild guess what happened). I don't even know how it pulls this off, since in a normal reboot the fan keeps enough inertia to work fine every time.

Anyway I was just going to buy another Noctua case fan and drop it in, since it'll match the other fans and not increase the case noise. I'll lose the counter rotation gimmick I think but honestly. I'm looking for a 4 pin 120mm fan, any reason I couldn't just grab the NF-P12 (cheapest Noctua I can get) and drop it in? Should I replace both of them (the front one is a slim for zero reasons as my PSU is bottom-mounted, and I'm a bit concerned it might do the same thing) or is one fine?

I'm not interested in fixing the existing fan, as in my experience that tends to make things worse.

E: I'm cleaning my case now that I've looked at that pic in full resolution, oof.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Thanks Dr Video Games, It was just the first site I saw that would scan and let me copy paste.

Is there any reason to think there would be better prices around the holiday shopping sales? Or is now good as any to start picking up parts?

Does microcenter always have the stuff in stock or is it call and see place? Going to be a weekend trip to pick anything up there since it's 2 hours away and have never been to one.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

So incoming big chunk of text, but I believe the pre-built HP/omen PC I bought 2 and a half years ago has two bad sticks of ram. PC currently runs, but I've had blue screens/crashing every now and then, weird occasional graphical artifacting when scrolling around on YouTube videos, though it's not a constant problem.

Independent of actual memory errors, you want to open Chrome Flags, find "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" and set it to OpenGL. That should fix the the artifacts in Chrome, YouTube, etc.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

spunkshui posted:

Try looking into CSM for the drive.

Some mobos come with surround sound or you can get a sound card.

I have surroundsound for my living room gaming set up, and another way to do it is to have a receiver and then send the data to the receiver via optical / hdmi.

Windows and my receiver both support dolby atmos :3:

Unless this has changed you have to be careful using optical because it doesn’t have the bandwidth to send surround info uncompressed and most systems/games aren’t capable of encoding on the fly so you won’t get surround sound using optical. You’ll get it on movies because that’s encoded (though I think some of the newer formats again use too much bandwidth for it) but you won’t get it for most games.

I think there’s an entire generation of gamers that missed PC surround sound because they mistakenly though that optical was better than just using the three analog jacks for sound.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Incessant Excess posted:

Unfortunately it's some 3D gaming and, from what I looked up, there's still a considerable gap between an iGPU and even something ancient like a GTX 970. It would definitely be nice, as I wouldn't have to put a system together then, but I don't think a mini pc would be suited for this particular use case.
Oh for sure, when you said mild I wasn't sure if you were talking about a grandpa click and find type game, or 2D RTS kinda thing or Cyberpunk. :)

But if it is for semi modern hardcore 3D for sure, dedicated is the way to go. That said, depending on the game it might be more than enough for 1080p if its older.

Joker
Aug 6, 2001
Would appreciate any feedback on this build.

What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting? Gaming and light photo/video editing
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.$2000, have peripherals
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get. 1440p 144hz. Would like high/ultra settings for games
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Not really, just home use of photoshop/gimp/various video editing software

Is there benefit in going with a x670 mobo? Would it have any impact on the video card or ram? I don’t really plan on updating anything in this system over the years and will likely just do a whole new build in 5 or so years.

**CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hyH99/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-42-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000910wof) | $349.00 @ Amazon
**CPU Cooler** | [Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hYxRsY/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-pa120-se-d3) | $34.90 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [MSI PRO X670-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jJhFf7/msi-pro-x670-p-wifi-atx-am5-motherboard-pro-x670-p-wifi) | $198.99 @ Amazon
**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xg2WGX/gskill-trident-z5-neo-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3040g32gx2-tz5n) | $194.99 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/f3cRsY/samsung-980-pro-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v8p2t0bam) | $129.99 @ Adorama
**Video Card** | [MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NHzXsY/msi-ventus-2x-oc-geforce-rtx-4070-12-gb-video-card-rtx-4070-ventus-2x-12g-oc) | $549.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4svdnQ/fractal-design-torrent-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-c-tor1a-05) | $189.99 @ B&H
**Power Supply** | [Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/26rRsY/corsair-rm850x-2021-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020200-na) | $134.99 @ Amazon
| **Total** | **$1782.84**

Joker fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 11, 2023

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Currently on this build after discussions with a friend of mine, are there any issues we might have missed? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hp9N6D

What country are you in?
US

Do you live near Microcenter?
No

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Gaming

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
A few thousand but I’m happy to end up below that, no point in spending a bunch of extra money for marginal benefits

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
The one I’ve provisionally chosen is 3440x1440 144hz but I’m open to ohter recommendations. I’d like to be able to run on ultra presets but I’m not necessarily playing the most demanding stuff (BG3 and AoW4 are the most demanding things I’ve played lately)

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Thinking of building a new PC soon and thinking of jumping on a a deal for a RX6500XT for £120.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Radeon-6500-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B09R1RVN3R

Worth it? I understand It's a budget card, but I'm coming from an ancient 2GB Nvidia GT 750Ti and have no idea about cards nowadays. My mums newly built Ryzen 4400g impressed me by running Deathloop and Starfield.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fatty posted:

Thinking of building a new PC soon and thinking of jumping on a a deal for a RX6500XT for £120.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Radeon-6500-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B09R1RVN3R

Worth it? I understand It's a budget card, but I'm coming from an ancient 2GB Nvidia GT 750Ti and have no idea about cards nowadays. My mums newly built Ryzen 4400g impressed me by running Deathloop and Starfield.

It's bad, try to find a used RX 6600 if you want an entry-level card

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Since there isn't exactly a fan thread, I guess this goes here. Alphacool sent their Apex Stealth Metal Fan to Igor's Lab for review, though it's currently only available for pre-order on their German website for 29.98€. Though some skepticism is warranted when it comes to review exclusivity arrangements, based on Igor's Lab's data, it seems to be a beast: https://www.igorslab.de/en/alphacool-apex-stealth-metal-power-fan-in-an-exclusive-review/

Alphacool seemingly stumbled upon this design by accident. Fan manufacturing isn't their primary trade (they do liquid cooling equipment), but their marketing people wanted a fan with this design because they thought it would look cool. Once they had some prototypes, they quickly discovered that they had a fan that was potentially a massive leap ahead of any other fan on the market both in terms of quietness at any given RPM and airflow at any given RPM. Igor's Lab's review data seems to back this up, and the difference they are reporting is astounding.

Airflow measured as a case fan and through a 45mm radiator:

Noise level measured as a case fan and through a 45mm radiator:

If you were to normalize the 45mm radiator results to a sound level of around 32 dBA, you get a five times increase in airflow for the Alphacool fan over the Noctua NF-A12x25 (85.93 vs 17.15 CFM). Though I do wonder if normalizes for measured sound level results in the same subjective volume level. That chart for 45mm radiators suggests that the Alphacool at 2400 RPM is as loud as the Noctua at 900 RPM, but the noise samples at those RPM levels make the Alphacool sound a lot louder to my ear. Though those samples may not be precisely calibrated to be directly comparable, I dunno. Either way, these are still extremely impressive results. And if this fan holds up to scrutiny by other reviewers, then it could very well be the revolution that Igor's Lab says it is. And Igor's Lab isn't really the kind of site to post blatantly illegitimate results. It's kind of ridiculous; after taking the crown years ago, Noctua has been spinning their wheels trying to come up with incrementally better fan designs. Then an outsider has come along with a fresh idea and is seemingly poised to completely overturn the entire PC fan industry. Well, hopefully this innovation helps breathe some new life into the scene. This is just the first go at this concept, one has to wonder what else could be done with better fan blade designs, better materials, different motor and bearing designs, different fan thickness, etc.

igor's lab, lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Thanks Dr Video Games, It was just the first site I saw that would scan and let me copy paste.

Is there any reason to think there would be better prices around the holiday shopping sales? Or is now good as any to start picking up parts?

Does microcenter always have the stuff in stock or is it call and see place? Going to be a weekend trip to pick anything up there since it's 2 hours away and have never been to one.

Prices may be a little better for black friday but I wouldn't expect any really big price drops. Particularly for the GPU, I think this is about as low as the 4070 will go for a while, and that micro center bundle has been priced that way for a while now with no sign of it changing anytime soon.

Micro Center does let some of its items/bundles go out of stock from time to time, but you can see the status of their store inventories on their website when it comes to what's in stock.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

Unless this has changed you have to be careful using optical because it doesn’t have the bandwidth to send surround info uncompressed and most systems/games aren’t capable of encoding on the fly so you won’t get surround sound using optical. You’ll get it on movies because that’s encoded (though I think some of the newer formats again use too much bandwidth for it) but you won’t get it for most games.

I think there’s an entire generation of gamers that missed PC surround sound because they mistakenly though that optical was better than just using the three analog jacks for sound.

I’m pretty sure the optical was working because on my old set up I had a logitech Z 5500 that would detect “DTS” signals coming out of my Xbox.

Now I’m using an actual proper AV receiver, but it’s still grabbing the signal from the TV via an optical cable.

I need to get a new receiver that has HDMI ARC.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i've had every part of my PC except the case for a week, not being able to build while i wait for the damned case is so frustrating :smithfrog:

that's what i get for getting a fancy backordered case

at any rate, i need to flash the BIOS on my mobo with a USB stick before it'll support my CPU -- any reason why i can't/shouldn't just plop the mobo flat onto a plastic folding table, plug the mobo into the PSU, the PSU into the wall, and flash it like that? i was gonna wait until the MOBO was seated in the case but i've got time on my hands without the case available, and i can't see how having the mobo sitting by itself on a plastic table will do any damage

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

spunkshui posted:

I’m pretty sure the optical was working because on my old set up I had a logitech Z 5500 that would detect “DTS” signals coming out of my Xbox.

Now I’m using an actual proper AV receiver, but it’s still grabbing the signal from the TV via an optical cable.

I need to get a new receiver that has HDMI ARC.

Im talking only about PCs not Xboxes or TVs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Amazon is doing one of deals again, what's the best value for a 4TB SSD? Seems like the Crucial P3 is like 30% slower for $160 than the Plus for $180, but that would be probably be imperceptible for gaming? Or should I get a TLC drive for $150? https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-Internal-Compatible-Desktop-TM8FP4004T0C101/dp/B08Z7LN8NM/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

You could get sound cards with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect like Xboxes used to have, so that you can encode a compressed stream over TOSLINK.

I've never seen a motherboard with DD live but wouldn't be surprised if one existed in the late 2000s. Apparently part of why modern Xboxes don't have an optical port at all is that the software licensing fee for Dolby encoding is pretty expensive.

It's a pain the rear end that modern Xboxes only have audio over HDMI, no analog out of any kind. When I ran multichannel speakers from a desktop in the heady days of 2003, I always just did 5.1 over 3 stereo analog cables.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Amazon is doing one of deals again, what's the best value for a 4TB SSD? Seems like the Crucial P3 is like 30% slower for $160 than the Plus for $180, but that would be probably be imperceptible for gaming? Or should I get a TLC drive for $150? https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-Internal-Compatible-Desktop-TM8FP4004T0C101/dp/B08Z7LN8NM/

The MP34 is a solid workhorse drive and a ridiculously good deal at $150 for 4TB.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm looking for the best prebuilt PC I can get. I would like to get one with at least a 4080 and I'm looking for something that will be quieter. Any suggestions?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shard posted:

I'm looking for the best prebuilt PC I can get. I would like to get one with at least a 4080 and I'm looking for something that will be quieter. Any suggestions?

Falcon Northwest have been in the business for a long-rear end time and build a great computer. The Talon is a nice, modern design with good airflow, and I'd call it among the best prebuilts available: https://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/talon

A configuration with a Core i7-13700K and an RTX 4080 comes out to about $5,000 flat, at which point I think you should really spend the extra $400 to get a 4090 over a 4080.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, just because they are obscenely expensive with a decent reputation doesn't mean they should be the default recommendation here. I'd probably look toward some of the somewhat more affordable brands first, like Origin or Maingear.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Okay, just because they are obscenely expensive with a decent reputation doesn't mean they should be the default recommendation here. I'd probably look toward some of the somewhat more affordable brands first, like Origin or Maingear.

They're legitimately great computers and no budget was specified, if somebody asks for the best why not go for the guys who are known not just for a good build / design but also decades of outstanding customer service?

Why buy Origin or Maingear when you could just put it together yourself?

Edit: this came off snarkier than I meant, but if budget is important and you want something quiet you're building it yourself.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Shard posted:

If you are open to it I'd suggest you build a pc yourself its incredibly simple and you can choose everything you want without having to compromise on anything even the style of case and fans, if you don't want to.

pcpartpicker really simplifies choosing parts too

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm coming into some inheritance soon so I'm really just looking around. I have built my own computer before but this time I'm looking for something to be built for me. My two most important factors are at least a 4080 and a quiet experience.

My current rig has a 3080 and it gets so loud sometimes that I need to wear headphones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are lots of reasons one might not want to build their own PC, and we've always helped out people looking for prebuilts across a wide range of budgets in this thread. It seems silly to me to only consider it an option for people who don't care about money. I don't know what the OP's budget is, but we should maybe give him more options than the Lamborghini of prebuilts.

Zoya posted:

i've had every part of my PC except the case for a week, not being able to build while i wait for the damned case is so frustrating :smithfrog:

that's what i get for getting a fancy backordered case

at any rate, i need to flash the BIOS on my mobo with a USB stick before it'll support my CPU -- any reason why i can't/shouldn't just plop the mobo flat onto a plastic folding table, plug the mobo into the PSU, the PSU into the wall, and flash it like that? i was gonna wait until the MOBO was seated in the case but i've got time on my hands without the case available, and i can't see how having the mobo sitting by itself on a plastic table will do any damage

Generally, the strategy is to put the motherboard on top of its box with the antistatic bag as a protective layer between them. It's usually good practice to do all your basic testing and setup like that, before spending ages installing everything into a case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shard posted:

I'm coming into some inheritance soon so I'm really just looking around. I have built my own computer before but this time I'm looking for something to be built for me. My two most important factors are at least a 4080 and a quiet experience.

My current rig has a 3080 and it gets so loud sometimes that I need to wear headphones.

The main things to look when it comes to noise are the case design and CPU cooler. You want the case to have lots of airflow and the CPU cooler to be beefy. Lots of cheaper prebuilts will have lovely cases with solid front panels and dinky CPU coolers, which makes them very loud.

https://www.originpc.com/configurator/neuron/

This prebuilt configured something like this would be a pretty top-tier system:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The PC is connected to the TV….

The audio comes from the HDMI cable to the TV and then it goes from the TV to an optical cable back the receiver, then the audio goes out to the speakers.

I think I’m OK because my set up is 5.1 only

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thank you so much thats what I was looking for.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The main things to look when it comes to noise are the case design and CPU cooler. You want the case to have lots of airflow and the CPU cooler to be beefy. Lots of cheaper prebuilts will have lovely cases with solid front panels and dinky CPU coolers, which makes them very loud.

https://www.originpc.com/configurator/neuron/

This prebuilt configured something like this would be a pretty top-tier system:

Would there be any reason to upgrade the audio from the integrated high definition audio? Do the upgrades offer anything worth while?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shard posted:

Would there be any reason to upgrade the audio from the integrated high definition audio? Do the upgrades offer anything worth while?

No, not really. The audio on that motherboard is already about as good as you'll get for internal audio. If you want better audio, the upgrade path you should be looking at is an externally powered USB DAC (like this thing), but that's probably only worth doing if you wish to use expensive hifi headphones.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

There are lots of reasons one might not want to build their own PC, and we've always helped out people looking for prebuilts across a wide range of budgets in this thread. It seems silly to me to only consider it an option for people who don't care about money. I don't know what the OP's budget is, but we should maybe give him more options than the Lamborghini of prebuilts.

Generally, the strategy is to put the motherboard on top of its box with the antistatic bag as a protective layer between them. It's usually good practice to do all your basic testing and setup like that, before spending ages installing everything into a case.

good lookin out, that makes perfect sense -- i'll do that!