Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

d0grent posted:

you're losing because you're playing lifeweaver hth

wifeleaver owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

oh he's very fun, but he loses games

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if one team has a Lifeweaver and the other doesn't, I'd bet on the team without winning

also new Sombra is so much fun to play

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
lifeweaver is very good atm at least in dumpster ranks, the overheal change to tree makes it a legit good defensive ult and ive been consistently outhealing my other support with him. i managed to crawl out of bronze into silver with him when i gave him a serious shot

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

yeah sombra is a blast now, it's just all combat all the time.

also lol that the only way to buy that new moira skin is to purchase the $40 season 7 bundle.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lifeweaver is still the worst support because he cannot help your team secure kills, but in low ranks that's less important and his ult is genuinely one of the stronger ults in the game now. He's now C tier or D tier depending on how you rank but he's definitely no longer F tier like he was before

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
LW is fine in lower ranks, but once you start playing against supports who actually use their abilities correctly, he falls off a cliff. I'm not saying you can't pull off cool plays, but the utility of grip and pedal are just nothing compared to, say, sleep or nade. It's fine to use him to get to gold, but past that get good at Ana or bap. Moira is kind of the same. Her raw damage and healing can be huge, but after a certain point, it just isn't enough.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was discussed to the point of nausea when Lifeweaver was new. He blows because you can't telepathically communicate with your teammates and let them know you are going to do this PVE MMO ability to them and that they shouldn't break it, or shouldn't immediately jump from the low ground, nor can they telepathically communicate with you and beg for a grip.

Also, the best point to make when it comes to LW sucking is, he is one of, if not the only hero in the game where you can lose a fight that the other people on your team have won with your abilities by griefing either on purpose or accident. If you miss a nade, for example, on Ana, you might lose a fight because you don't get a clutch heal in on time and your tank dies. On LW, maybe rein lands a 5-man shatter at 10% health, and your dumbass grips him away before he can follow up. Congrats, you somehow just took a fight your team won and turned it into a loss. No other hero in the game does that.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

It was discussed to the point of nausea when Lifeweaver was new. He blows because you can't telepathically communicate with your teammates and let them know you are going to do this PVE MMO ability to them and that they shouldn't break it, or shouldn't immediately jump from the low ground, nor can they telepathically communicate with you and beg for a grip.

Also, the best point to make when it comes to LW sucking is, he is one of, if not the only hero in the game where you can lose a fight that the other people on your team have won with your abilities by griefing either on purpose or accident. If you miss a nade, for example, on Ana, you might lose a fight because you don't get a clutch heal in on time and your tank dies. On LW, maybe rein lands a 5-man shatter at 10% health, and your dumbass grips him away before he can follow up. Congrats, you somehow just took a fight your team won and turned it into a loss. No other hero in the game does that.

Agreed, however I've definitely turned a winning team fight into a loss with a bad Mei wall.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

d0grent posted:

Agreed, however I've definitely turned a winning team fight into a loss with a bad Mei wall.

I suppose Mei can also clutch and snatch defeat right out of the jaws of victory as well.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

d0grent posted:

This is my take. Doing a pull wrong and doing any other ability wrong is roughly the same to the outcome of the fight. No need to get in your feelings because "you were totally going to carry that fight if you had one more shot." I just assume LW saw something I didn't. Teamwork abilities in a team game are fun.

headcase fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 11, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Please enjoy the hamster nipple piercings provided by Blizzard.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 11, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Please enjoy the hamster nipple piercings provided by Blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

This is my take. Doing a pull wrong and doing any other ability wrong is roughly the same to the outcome of the fight. No need to get in your feelings because "you were totally going to carry that fight if you had one more shot." I just assume LW saw something I didn't. Teamwork abilities in a team game are fun.

You are missing the point. In a game full of characters that use their abilities to win fights, you have a character (or two) that uses their abilities and loses fights. That's really bad design that runs counter to nearly everything else in the game. On a character that has the worst win rate among all supports, the role that is super-buffed into oblivion right now and causing big problems for the rest of the game.

It's not the sole reason his win rate sucks rear end; the other big thing is that he tends to output the least offense of any other support (including mercy) so you essentially so their is a value deficit that needs to be made up by teammates who benefit from the extra healing/utility he is SUPPOSED to output. That wouldn't really be bad on its own, it would in fact make him a pretty unique character, but then you go back to A. His utility is hard to use due to lack of hivemind, and often results in actually hurting the team, so you aren't always making space for your team to fill the gap.

They've done him some favors by over-buffing his numbers so much over the course of several patches that he manages to only be a few percent below 50% win rate. But almost every hero in the game is 50% win rate or better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

headcase posted:

One of those includes taking away control from your teammate when they are about to do something awesome, feels way more lovely then an Ana missing her nade or whatever.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

You could have entirely fight winning pulls (the other team wastes cooldown trying to secure the kill, they get killed while targeting someone that was never going to die, you save your teammate and put him in a good position)

You could have entirely fight losing ana nades. No value from nades, the rest of her kit isn't carrying the weight that is lost.

It's all just team play and decision making. Why get hung up about your character moving toward the team and getting healed?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Liferuiner more like

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
One time I got a 5k as Rein by pinning the enemy Ana from a flank route*, getting Nano from my Ana, cleaning up the rest of the back line, and then my Wifeleaver pulled me back to finish off the Orisa with a swing and a fire strike, whereupon he celebrated with voice lines and crouching a lot. That's my 'Wifeleaver is helping!' story.

*It was Nepal second point on defense at the tunnel exit and the flank route was me coming back through the tunnels because I was wildly out of position securing a kill on Widow who jumped back to first point. They just kinda forgot about me until I charged back up the tunnel to pin Ana I guess?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

headcase posted:

You could have entirely fight winning pulls (the other team wastes cooldown trying to secure the kill, they get killed while targeting someone that was never going to die, you save your teammate and put him in a good position)

You could have entirely fight losing ana nades. No value from nades, the rest of her kit isn't carrying the weight that is lost.

It's all just team play and decision making. Why get hung up about your character moving toward the team and getting healed?

Because ana missing her nade doesn't nullify my five man shatter. Ana missing her nade might lose fights because the player isn't doing well, but it doesn't take fights that you absolutely would have won and turn them into either a continued fight or a loss.

Lifeweaver can do that. It absolutely is not the same.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Only problem with liveweaver is people who use pull on cooldown for no reason at all.

People can be useless on any role and character they picked, bad players are bad, and they only get better through practice, trial, and error.

dogstile posted:

Because ana missing her nade doesn't nullify my five man shatter. Ana missing her nade might lose fights because the player isn't doing well, but it doesn't take fights that you absolutely would have won and turn them into either a continued fight or a loss.

Mei can drop a wall before or after you shatter, and that entirely ruined it. Phara/Lucio can boop your people away before/after you shattered.

Tons of ways to gently caress with your team if that is your goal, I don't understand why its seems to be lifeweaver that gets all of this hate.

gently caress, the number of times I've had a mei just block infront of me when trying to do an ult....

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 11, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I bet the number of times a player goes for that and gets it, vs the number of times they get slaughtered mid-shatter is low enough to lean in LW's favor.

I hear you though.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 11, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rawrbomb posted:

Only problem with liveweaver is people who use pull on cooldown for no reason at all.

People can be useless on any role and character they picked, bad players are bad, and they only get better through practice, trial, and error.

Mei can drop a wall before or after you shatter, and that entirely ruined it. Phara/Lucio can boop your people away before/after you shattered.

Tons of ways to gently caress with your team if that is your goal, I don't understand why its seems to be lifeweaver that gets all of this hate.

gently caress, the number of times I've had a mei just block infront of me when trying to do an ult....

Mei doesn't get that much play (and will just drop the wall if its bad), pharah is probably still going to kill the shattered stunned people. A lucio player booping someone an extra couple of feet forward doesn't stop you from throwing two firestrikes through them. poo poo, if they're with you, they'll be on speed, you're still gonna kill them, lol.

That's probably why.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

Mei doesn't get that much play (and will just drop the wall if its bad), pharah is probably still going to kill the shattered stunned people. A lucio player booping someone an extra couple of feet forward doesn't stop you from throwing two firestrikes through them. poo poo, if they're with you, they'll be on speed, you're still gonna kill them, lol.

That's probably why.

The number of times I've been denied an ult by a mei (on my team), VASTLY outnumbers the times lifeweaver has done the same, its not even close.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Eh, either way, its lovely. That's not exactly an argument in favour of lifeweaver.

I think mei's a dumb character too, she just doesn't see much play at my level. I do see people trying to make lifeweaver work, its absolutely fine until that one fight where they override my decision for me and then i'd rather they just play literally any other healer.

Same poo poo with Moira. Great, wonderful low elo character. The moment you start getting higher up, if the other teams supports are playing characters who actually have utility + heals rather than just "heals and occasionally try's to solo a backliner before getting domed" you'll have a harder time.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 11, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

mei, a character who is famously annoying to the playerbase to the point where at various points in ow1 players would complain that she was a troll pick, is probably not a great yardstick to use for whether an ability is annoying

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

I hear this argument a lot but I don't actually see it happening in games. If it did happen, I would call that a Bad Lifeweaver, failing to recognize when an appropriate time to pull is.

Imo the opportunities to pull for LW are quite obvious and are never going to piss your teammates off. Saving them when they're low hp and surrounded by enemies, pulling hitscans to high-ground, pulling your tank back so they can surprise the diver in your backline. that sort of thing. Choices that are clear and objective improvements, and they happen all the time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We're not saying its not a bad play, we're saying its more frustrating than other bad plays.

Like it's a little annoying when your Ana can't hit her nades when the enemy rein firestrikes or whatever, fine. But that's nowhere near as annoying as being one swing away from killing someone and getting pulled halfway across the map away from them

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

We're not saying its not a bad play, we're saying its more frustrating than other bad plays.

Like it's a little annoying when your Ana can't hit her nades when the enemy rein firestrikes or whatever, fine. But that's nowhere near as annoying as being one swing away from killing someone and getting pulled halfway across the map away from them

Well sure but even at my rank (gold-plat) I don't see it happening enough to be worth turning into a major critique of the character. Like maybe 1 in every 10 times I see/play Lifeweaver, they objectively do something that fucks a teammate over.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

Eh, either way, its lovely. That's not exactly an argument in favour of lifeweaver.

I think mei's a dumb character too, she just doesn't see much play at my level. I do see people trying to make lifeweaver work, its absolutely fine until that one fight where they override my decision for me and then i'd rather they just play literally any other healer.

Same poo poo with Moira. Great, wonderful low elo character. The moment you start getting higher up, if the other teams supports are playing characters who actually have utility + heals rather than just "heals and occasionally try's to solo a backliner before getting domed" you'll have a harder time.

Moria plays very differently depending on your comp, and what level you're playing in, that's really true for every character though. Moria is overall fine, her utility is her damage, but you have to have a team that lets you capitalize on it. Not sure why you think Moria is only low ELO, when she is played at every skill tier. She has a 5% pick rate in GM, its not Anna at 16%, but that's not shabby. https://www.overbuff.com/heroes?platform=pc&gameMode=competitive&skillTier=grandmaster&timeWindow=3months

Its really easy to play any character badly, if you don't know what you should be doing for the game and map you're on.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Lifeweaver’s weakness isn’t that he is unusable, it’s that every other support is better. Lifegrip can do some decent stuff sure, but like every other support has a better and more useful kit.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lord Packinham posted:

Lifeweaver’s weakness isn’t that he is unusable, it’s that every other support is better. Lifegrip can do some decent stuff sure, but like every other support has a better and more useful kit.

the only thing I'll give Lifeweaver is that if they're savvy, they can complete hose Zarya and Orisa's ults

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the only thing I'll give Lifeweaver is that if they're savvy, they can complete hose Zarya and Orisa's ults

With the platform you mean? I've been trying to use that against Zarya, but the problem is her ult slightly lifts the team off the ground. That said, sometimes it seems to work anyways.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

With the platform you mean? I've been trying to use that against Zarya, but the problem is her ult slightly lifts the team off the ground. That said, sometimes it seems to work anyways.

I haven't tried it myself because I don't think it's worth my time to try to get good with Lifeweaver so I don't know if there's a skill component to it beyond reacting in time and throwing it down but when it works, it's huge

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I like his 'build your own high ground during an open fight' and also ability to reposition team mates to a favorable spot they couldn't otherwise get to. The non-healing utility of tree is fun as well.

It's not enough though. He needs a skill shot.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The "Lifeweaver ruins a play with a bad grip" thing is vastly overblown in terms of how often it actually happens, but at the same time it feels bad enough that the very rare times it does happen it has such an outsized mental impact on the person who got gripped that I get the gripes with it.

I think that if they want LW to be a serious support pick in the tier of Bap/Kiri/Ana they need to change how his heal works: make it start at full charge and then automatically refill, like how Illari's primary fire functions. Lifeweaver's thorn volley is an active liability because if you need to suddenly save a dps that's getting attacked you need to switch fire modes, charge up a shot, and then wait for the projectile to travel, by which point your ally is already dead. If instead you could just fire off a healing bloom in between rounds of the thorns, he'd feel much more dynamic and proactive.

Call me crazy but I actually preferred his original control scheme for the thorn/heals, I just rebound reload to swap weapons and it felt very natural to fire off thorn blasts while your heals reloaded since the autoreload and the manual reload were the same amount of time.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

His dmg and heal should swap as seemlessly as moira's, and he shouldn't need to reload at all.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The "Lifeweaver ruins a play with a bad grip" thing is vastly overblown in terms of how often it actually happens, but at the same time it feels bad enough that the very rare times it does happen it has such an outsized mental impact on the person who got gripped that I get the gripes with it.

It happens rarely for sure, but the small misplays and miscommunications surrounding it probably happen several times per game, which just makes things awkward and or frustrating most of the time.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

https://twitter.com/OWCavalry/status/1712522855974330876

The gently caress's happening now

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

hah i just played with a Hanzo that was absolutely wrecking the other team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are probably like only 3 interns working on the game for a while now.