Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os_jGtikJCw

Best game of 2022 just got even better baybee

Waffleman_ posted:

Also with Bobby Kotick mentioning bringing Guitar Hero back, I think it's funny to think that even he forgot that they did Guitar Hero Live

Which is a shame because GHL was actually pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My head kept trying to turn "Guitar Hero" into Gitaroo Man and I was bewildered because Activision didn't make Gitaroo Man!

Anyway, whoever does own Gitaroo Man should make another Gitaroo Man. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

My head kept trying to turn "Guitar Hero" into Gitaroo Man and I was bewildered because Activision didn't make Gitaroo Man!

Anyway, whoever does own Gitaroo Man should make another Gitaroo Man. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Rip Project Rap Rabbit

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It was neat playing the one free Forza for the damage modeling for a while but otherwise this

Turns out if I'm not in a Lego, Hot Wheel, or Master Chief's Warthog I don't give a poo poo lol

I like race games where crashing are a high priority game mechanic and also crashing side games.

What I'm saying is we need another spiritual successor to Burnout

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MCB9SBqUQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hatty posted:

Rip Project Rap Rabbit

They really needed to have a prototype of this to show instead of kinda confusing concept art of how the game played.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, such great memories, even from just hearing the opening music again. :allears:

hatty posted:

Rip Project Rap Rabbit

quote:

Project Rap Rabbit aimed to build upon the rhythm-based gameplay of the two companies' previous games, PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man. Set in 16th Century Japan, players are put in the role of a rabbit named Toto-maru, who must use the power of rap music to battle against powerful overlords who have corrupted the land.

:stwoon:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Shard posted:

I like race games where crashing are a high priority game mechanic and also crashing side games.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Minecraft racing / vehicle building game that's also a spiritual successor to burnout. It seems like an obvious thing to try; smashing Legos is the thing you do after you build them.

Especially when you consider how weird Minecraft Legends is- who wanted a weird RTS? Dungeons was good tho, everyone likes babbys first Diablo.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When I get home I might play Burnout Revenge on my xbox.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shard posted:

It's a shame that Dangerous Driving was such a wet fart

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Which is a shame because GHL was actually pretty cool

Yeah I liked Guitar Hero Live. People made fun of it being an FMV game but I thought they were neat and the new guitar was cool but it's a shame they could help themselves from having a really awful online model

For anyone who didn't play it - only the 40 or so songs from the campaign were available in freeplay and for the other 500-600 songs you had to play the online mode GHTV which would have three channels streaming random songs from different genres that you join in on. If you wanted to actually choose a specific song from the catalog you had to use "plays" which you'd buy with the coins you rack up from playing songs on the GHTV streaming channels or by paying real money for another currency called "hero cash"

why can't you be normal activision. Hatsune Miku sold me 220 songs for £20

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot how weird that system was.

Almost a shame that the music games collapsed again. Me and a buddy both got Rockband 4, had a great week playing it and then never set it up again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hatty posted:

Rip Project Rap Rabbit

what happened to that? I remember the Kickstarter

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kickstarter failed because they didn’t have any real gameplay to show

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I got a bundle of GHL plus the guitar controller and all the “plays” I’d ever need for the online jukebox thing for like thirty bucks on Black Friday a year after it came out and had the most fun I’d ever had with a rhythm game since Rock Band 3. Good times.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If I remember the timing right they launched it long after people realized they need something more substantial than just concept art to back a kickstarter.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'll buy a new Guitar Hero. My wife and I have talked about how nice it would be to play occasionally.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I got clone hero on my computer and use a 360 guitar to play it - rules.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:rip:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/pu...k-after-release

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I might have bought this had I known anything about it. Paradox is horrible about getting news out about any of their games except their own development studio, and even that is mostly because I actively follow the grand strategy space.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

That's asinine, it's been on gamepass like...not even a week.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

External Organs posted:

That's asinine, it's been on gamepass like...not even a week.

it had a budget of around $29 million, and those are, unfortunately, numbers that demand a certain number of sales in the first week to make it back; the fact that it's got a 773 peak player count on steam is a reasonable indicator that the game's just not doing well, even taking gamepass into account

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn't help that the game has critical crash and save-wiping bugs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i feel like two-fisted pulp adventure is one of those genres like sword and sandals where you've gotta budget in the margins. there's certainly an audience for it in 2023, but not a nearly $30 million strong one

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And I feel like an XCOM-like needs a really strong pitch or name behind it to get much attention (and maybe a catchier name).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Trying to imagine what it would take for Guitar Hero/Rock Band to be accepted back. It was a big social phenomenon, and after a few years everyone collectively decided “that’s enough”

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Really struggled with guitar hero after making the switch from crt displays to flatscreens. Dunno what was up with my setup back then but I could never dial in the input lag enough to make it playable

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Vermain posted:

it had a budget of around $29 million, and those are, unfortunately, numbers that demand a certain number of sales in the first week to make it back; the fact that it's got a 773 peak player count on steam is a reasonable indicator that the game's just not doing well, even taking gamepass into account

I tried it for 30mins or so and did not care for it very much. That budget seems very high for how the game looks and feels.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I bet it could be a thing again now due to nostalgia, it basically crashed the first time because they way oversaturated the market for it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

hatty posted:

Kickstarter failed because they didn’t have any real gameplay to show

Electric Phantasm posted:

If I remember the timing right they launched it long after people realized they need something more substantial than just concept art to back a kickstarter.

the lack of gameplay footage was probably the single biggest factor, but the campaign also launched with a Switch port as the highest-tier stretch goal ($4.95 million) but with an Xbox One version at "only" $3.1 million, even though it should have been obvious that there was much more of an audience for a cartoony Japanese rhythm game on Switch. They rebooted the campaign a day or two later with Switch at only $1.5 million, but the damage had already been done.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At the arcade I see Guitar Hero Arcade as pretty popular, possibly among the folks who don't know any of the music in Gitadora Guitar Freaks

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vermain posted:

Yeah, that's a fair bit of costs to recoup for a AA developer. Shadowrun Returns and Battletech each cost, what, less than a fifth of that? They were much more modest projects that could afford to be a bit of a slow burn sales-wise (especially since a lot of it was KS money, not a publisher deal that demands immediate results). And those were decades-old recognized IPs, rather than a loose interwar pulp milieu.

And yes, Paradox sucking at advertising didn't help.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I tried the Lamplighters League demo and was just thoroughly unimpressed. I dunno man, it didn't even run well on my new system for some reason. Frequent hitches and it's not an Unreal game so it wasn't shader compilation or something. It certainly didn't justify a $50 price tag with a $15 day one DLC which I would like to associate with games that at least look impressive and run well.

I wonder how much money Paradox and Harebrained were able to get from the Game Pass deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Asterite34 posted:

Battletech cost, what, less than a fifth of that?

that's hard to believe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

I bet it could be a thing again now due to nostalgia, it basically crashed the first time because they way oversaturated the market for it.

Also the instruments just took up too much loving space in retail warehouses since there had to be a sku of each game with the instruments.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Guitar hero is fine and all, but I just want a new rock band game with a good drum controller

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

rip to HBS

https://twitter.com/ArtofBattletech/status/1712083279438832012?t=f6aBL13XORJs_DCGFH-7dw&s=19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kinda sad, I was excited for battletech but dropped it after playing a mission or two because of the slowness. I guess most people never gave them a second shot as I didn't.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Also the instruments just took up too much loving space in retail warehouses since there had to be a sku of each game with the instruments.

I can't even remember what happened to my drum kit, but I remember it ended up being this huge unwiedly thing that just lived in the corner of my apartment gathering dust once I was done with it.

Guitar Hero was a lot of fun though, and I could see it making a return at some point in the future.
100% they'd nickle and dime it to death

The one I did always want to try was DJ Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5nfyBxxb8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Guitar Hero was a lot of fun though, and I could see it making a return at some point in the future.
100% they'd nickle and dime it to death

It did already!

They did already!