Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Finally tried the copy of ACC that came in that humble bundle after spending all of my have-a-wheel-now 2023 in FM7 and (more recently) AMS2 and...yeah, now I get it. That's the one. AMS2, still very good for doing lots of different types of cars, but man does ACC click.

Yeah I just built a gaming PC – not just for racing, but I have a Logi DD Pro setup and GT7 on PS5 with PSVR2 which is awesome, but the feel of ACC even on console was so good – I decided to pull the trigger on a PC (also for other games.) The FFB and feeling of weight in ACC is so good. I'm very slow – >4 or 5 seconds on tracks in the same cars I can do it GT7, but I'm practicing to get to the point I'm confident doing LFM. It's very good. Visuals and FFB on PC are also really good.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I just built a gaming PC – not just for racing, but I have a Logi DD Pro setup and GT7 on PS5 with PSVR2 which is awesome, but the feel of ACC even on console was so good – I decided to pull the trigger on a PC (also for other games.) The FFB and feeling of weight in ACC is so good. I'm very slow – >4 or 5 seconds on tracks in the same cars I can do it GT7, but I'm practicing to get to the point I'm confident doing LFM. It's very good. Visuals and FFB on PC are also really good.

Have you tried iracing? I have a 3 month code I could give you. It's kinda the end point of the process you're going through right now.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Have you tried iracing? I have a 3 month code I could give you. It's kinda the end point of the process you're going through right now.

Not yet, but I know I will, thanks. I'm planning on getting confident in LFM and learning ACC, doing my boozy drives in GT7, and then looking to iRacing once I'm comfy with my LFM pace (I know the braking models are vastly different). Appreciate the offer, I'm mostly interested in GT3 cars anyways so for now ACC is a good fit, but I know iRacing is also on the horizon.

e; also I've kind of gotten sucked in to Touge servers in AC in JDM cars. Too many cars and tracks and games, too little time.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 4, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IRacing is the logical endpoint always. People deny it early on but they always end up there.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Despite its flaws it is still the best online multiplayer sim racing experience

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I've been driving the M1 in RBR and this is an extremely funny car to have put on tiny euro roads, or on gravel lol

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

IRacing is the logical endpoint always. People deny it early on but they always end up there.

Probably true, like I said I expect to pick it up, but as a C/B GT7 driver who still struggles to hit the 1.27 Brands Hatch laps (x7) to get my LFM license I'm ok with waiting. I don't really want to burn a sub/promo in iRacing while I still learn the basics, I picked GT7 up in Feb. of this year after playing it a bit on PS4 last year, and GT3 is the series I'm most interested in. I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to set up a DD wheel and stand, but am still a beginner. Once I've got LFM licensing to the point I want and start feeling like I need more (like I have with GT7), that's when I'll look at iRacing and I don't want to take a promo I won't use properly. I will say now that Ive raced ACC a bit - the weight transfer and FFB is so good, it's really engaging. Is it as good in iRacing? I expect it is I guess. PSVR2 is still the best at just drop-in no hassle immersive driving in some ways - plug in the headset, turn on the wheel and go. It's a fun hobby. I absolutely see the lure of real car performance though, especially with the presence of pros like Redline around. Also - anyone tried Rennsport - seems esports focussed but also very good looking and I am a bit of a graphics whore.

e; LFM vs ACC

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 10, 2023

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The usual endpoint is iRacing plus whichever other sim the modding community has gravitated over to and uploaded every racecar and circuit to have ever existed on the planet.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Anyone here play motocross games? In the last millenium I loved Motocross Madness, what would be a good one of those today? Doesn't have to be ultra sim. Should I just get the latest MXGP?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The MXGP and Supercross games are basically all there is now yeah, though there was an attempt to revive MX vs ATV relatively recently.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There might be others that we've never heard of, try asking in the video game thread too. I'm sure one exists.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
MX Bikes is prob the best simmy MX game, MX sim is good but old and feels very old. First person view in MXB is the closest a game has felt to actually riding for me, and its pretty deep and fun but kinda frustrating at times vs a more arcadey game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Posted this in the VR thread but maybe people here might be into it as well

Dev confirmed it in a reddit thread, says not ready but they've been working on it since 2022

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Dev confirmed it in a reddit thread, says not ready but they've been working on it since 2022

I'm hopeful for major performance improvements c:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Oh gently caress I've been waiting for this. Assetto Who?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm also hyped by this as I do all my other racing in VR and cant be assed to set a screen up for the rig.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Ordered the Truebrake mod for my Logitech. Further down the hole I go...

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I've got one of the early ones. I'm happy to see they have spring options because this has always felt a hair too stiff/short for my taste. It's just enough that anchoring your seat is must or you will send yourself backwards while emergency braking. Easy to install and I still very much prefer it to the stock spring assembly.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

I did the ricmotech load cell upgrade on my G923 pedals, it was kind of worth it on it's own but like 4 months later I sold the whole set at a loss to upgrade to a DD base and hall/loadcell pedals anyways. I'm starting to see the wisdom in the 'buy once cry once' mantra in this hobby.

Also an update on my previous approach:

squirrelzipper posted:

Not yet, but I know I will, thanks. I'm planning on getting confident in LFM and learning ACC, doing my boozy drives in GT7, and then looking to iRacing once I'm comfy with my LFM pace (I know the braking models are vastly different). Appreciate the offer, I'm mostly interested in GT3 cars anyways so for now ACC is a good fit, but I know iRacing is also on the horizon.

e; also I've kind of gotten sucked in to Touge servers in AC in JDM cars. Too many cars and tracks and games, too little time.

So, this was my plan. Here's what actually happened. I am SA 75 in ACC, loving the game, doing a combo of pub lobbies and single player to learn tracks and gain SA to get my LFM license. My plan was to drive GT7 when I'm tired or have had a glass of wine (or 4) or w/e and just want to play with my toys. Except much as I love GT7 (300+ hours), the FFB and sense of weight/car behaviour isn't really that good I'm finding. Like racing my E30 M3 is so believable in AC even though the graphics are mediocre. I have PSVR2 so I still jump in GT7 for open wheel fun or just hoonigan track runs, but even when I'm tired or don't want to try hard I'm finding I want that feeling of movement that I'm realizing it kind of doesn't have. I even used some credits to get The Crew Motorfest cause I thought if I went full arcade I wouldn't mind the abstraction. Not so. So now I'm knees deep in AC and driving 1980's BMWs around Brands Hatch or w/e and man, the tactile feel of the wheel is so good. Things like feeling the compression and grip as you crest a hill and then accelerate up-hill. It exists in GT7 for sure, but it's missing details, it's much more nuanced in AC/ACC. PSVR2 helps a lot for the stereoscopic vision aspect, and I still swap to do daily races and such. Oh god, I'm going to end up in VR in iRacing aren't I? (btw, uh, anyone got one of those 3 mos. codes?)

edit; Oh and also, I notice that in AC the braking model seems more, dunno, real? Like you can't just jam 100% brake on approach even in a straight line, then trail through. You can do that in both ACC and GT7 (I assume the simulated ABS maybe) but in AC I find I have to manage brake IN and out. Is iRacing more like that? I like it.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 20, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
One of the notable differences between ACC and iracing is that even in the cars with abs in iracing the fastest thing to do isn't hammer the brake into abs and let it sort it out.

Also VR is iracing is pretty loving good, can confirm. Don't have a 3mo code unfortunately :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR iracing is a transcendent experience.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

All good I was kind of joking cause I was offered one and turned it down. My new plan is to still get LFM licensed - I have pace on the required track now, although just barely so just need to get my SR up. And at the same time do a throw-away sub on an alt email in iRacing to test out the rookie circuits. If it does what I suspect it will then do 12 mos. buy in to get the discounts I can chase this god-drat dragon back to its cave.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

VR iracing is a transcendent experience.

You're NOT/ARE helping. I'm not sure which.

Actually follow on q cause I know I'm going to be looking at this in the next 6 months since winter is coming - my PC is a i7 13K, 12GB RTX 4070 32GB - ok for mid range PCVR? I'll look into headsets (secretly hoping the dudes doing PSVR2PC get that done) but wondering what min is?

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 20, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

All good I was kind of joking cause I was offered one and turned it down. My new plan is to still get LFM licensed - I have pace on the required track now, although just barely so just need to get my SR up. And at the same time do a throw-away sub on an alt email in iRacing to test out the rookie circuits. If it does what I suspect it will then do 12 mos. buy in to get the discounts I can chase this god-drat dragon back to its cave.

Sorry what on earth is LFM licensed?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry what on earth is LFM licensed?

LFM (Low Fuel Motorsports) is a 3rd party platform for ACC that basically does ELO/iRating matchmaking, tracking, stewards, and sessions for ACC. https://lowfuelmotorsport.com Overcomes some of the issues with gaming the built in ACC system and provides an iRacing like progression system.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

LFM (Low Fuel Motorsports) is a 3rd party platform for ACC that basically does ELO/iRating matchmaking and sessions for ACC. https://lowfuelmotorsport.com Overcomes some of the issues with gaming the built in ACC system and provides an iRacing like progression system.

Gotcha, thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

squirrelzipper posted:

Actually follow on q cause I know I'm going to be looking at this in the next 6 months since winter is coming - my PC is a i7 13K, 12GB RTX 4070 32GB - ok for mid range PCVR? I'll look into headsets (secretly hoping the dudes doing PSVR2PC get that done) but wondering what min is?

I’m running a Ryzen 5 7600 with a 4070ti and basically anything in VR runs perfectly fine. Remember most VR games were developed with the expectation of a 1060 as minimum spec. Obviously there’s still stuff that’ll push limits like the modern F1 games that have VR support but iRacing ain’t that.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I might also just spend the rest of my life flying around the Isle of Man in a pimped out RX-7.

e; AC has some amazing content. Just had a race with a supra on the Isle of Man that was kind of crazy. This is a fun hobby. The supra won.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 20, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

squirrelzipper posted:

That PC is more than fine for VR.

Don’t wait around for the PSVR2 to get converted to PC use, you’ll always be beta testing and it will just be frustrating.

I yell this from the top of every thread but you can get an Oculus Rift S used for $100-$150, they’re perfect for sim racing and they Just Work™️

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nICW6VlLPvk

Not trying to get my hopes up too much, but this looks like it could be good? It certainly looks way more simmy than I would have expected.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

GhostDog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nICW6VlLPvk

Not trying to get my hopes up too much, but this looks like it could be good? It certainly looks way more simmy than I would have expected.

A post-release update will add virtual reality support for the all-new official World Rally Championship game by EA and Codemasters. Okay then.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Slapping a transducer on your pedals and having ffb for wheelslip/lockup ftw.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Beam.ng vr is out, anyone have a chance to give it a go yet?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Wow I'm way more consistent in ACC with the truebrake mod

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
yeah going to a loadcell brake is huge!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Maybe this is the wrong thread (redirect me if so please!) but I'm looking for recommendations for the following to use for GT7 on a PS4:

Wheel/pedals/shifter
Seat/mount setup

Re: wheel/pedals/shifter I'm not sure I wanna pay direct drive money, but sounds like load cell pedals are worth it?
For seat/mount I'd like something that can fold up relatively easily. This is going in front of a 100" projector screen that is also our main media device, so if I can fold up/stash relatively easily that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

amenenema posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread (redirect me if so please!) but I'm looking for recommendations for the following to use for GT7 on a PS4:

Wheel/pedals/shifter
Seat/mount setup

Re: wheel/pedals/shifter I'm not sure I wanna pay direct drive money, but sounds like load cell pedals are worth it?
For seat/mount I'd like something that can fold up relatively easily. This is going in front of a 100" projector screen that is also our main media device, so if I can fold up/stash relatively easily that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

How much money do you have available to spend on this? Like, more or less than $15,000?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

amenenema posted:

Wheel/pedals/shifter
Seat/mount setup

Thanks in advance!

On PS4, I use Thrustmaster's PS4 compatible stuff. They're cheapest wheels/pedals/shifter work great and are easy to set up for PS4 and are cheap, esp if you buy used. Their shifter especially.

I'm not sure I'd spend a ton of money on something like a fanatec wheelbase and hydraulic pedals for GT7 unless you have the money, as GT7 leans much more toward the video game side than something on the sim side like iRacing or Assetto Corsa where the higher quality gear makes a big difference.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

amenenema posted:

Wheel/pedals/shifter
Seat/mount setup

Thanks in advance!

If you go for a foldable setup make sure it can handle the wheel and pedals you decide on. A DD wheel throws out a lot of torque. As for load cell pedals, you're gonna push those quite a bit so just dropping them on the floor is probably not gonna cut it. Same goes for the chair. If you have to contort yourself to push pedals while also holding them and yourself in place it's gonna suck. They are definitely worth it though, but maybe lack the wow factor if you're new to the hobby compared to the wheel.

e: Oh, this is about GT7. Personally I find the force feedback in neither GT nor Forza to be particularly good, so imo it's more about the precision and basic immersion pretty much any wheel can give you.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 11, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

As someone kinda "new" to Sim racing, I started on F1 2023 and Assetto Corsa on PS4, I'd definitely reccomend investing in good stuff if you see it as an ongoing hobby. I started with cheap wheels/pedals/shifters and now that im doing iRacing on a PC I wish I'd invested in higher quality gear and now have to save up to buy it.

Conversely, if you wanna stick to GT7 and other stuff on the PS4, the good news is that cheap gear is largely the same experience. Not much difference using my Thrustmaster 1500 vs my fancy fanatec wheelbase on F1 2023, but a huge difference in iRacing.

I'd also like to note I'm not trying to bash GT7 or do the whole "only iRacing is a REAL SIM" thing. I love playing F123 which is very gamey. I'm just trying to save you some cash if your goal is to stick on the "gamey" side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks all! Yeah trying to keep it cheap (for now) and great to know that even the lower end stuff will be decent with GT7. No PC plans in my future.