Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MiniFoo posted:

pididdle

Looks like both headlights are working to me, if that means what I think it means.
Why, yes, I'm old.

edit: I'm two for two on incredible page snipes today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

davecrazy posted:

I’ve never had a dealer drill the front bracket in when I’ve asked them not to.

I was told it was now illegal for them to let one off the lot without a front plate mount when I bought my new car a few months ago, which I argued but couldn't prove wrong. 7 holes in the front later, I took it off and put it back on because of how horrible it looked :( Seven. For a plate that can easily mount with two.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d have walked and have told dealers as much. Never drilled it in any front plate required states I’ve lived.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I was told it was now illegal for them to let one off the lot without a front plate mount when I bought my new car a few months ago, which I argued but couldn't prove wrong. 7 holes in the front later, I took it off and put it back on because of how horrible it looked :( Seven. For a plate that can easily mount with two.

https://bumperplugs.com/ Might be worth a look? Sorry to hear that. :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Super lovely there are 2 holes in that aluminum-looking strip, so you can't even just buy 7 white plugs. I imagine it'd be hard to find a paint code for that strip, anyways.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That’s loving awful.

NJ is front plate state and I have not had the factory plate bracket attached to a single car I’ve bought here.

I use Sto-n-show on everything. Worked great on every Jeep (Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer/Gladiator) and my Durango.

They install in seconds and you can pop the bracket off and on super easy.

The only thing I don’t have a front plate on is the Alfa. The front splitter extends at speed in dynamic mode and solutions that mount under the splitter just don’t exists for that reason.

I bought a towhook mounting bracket but have not bothered to instal it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

davecrazy posted:

That’s loving awful.

NJ is front plate state and I have not had the factory plate bracket attached to a single car I’ve bought here.

I use Sto-n-show on everything. Worked great on every Jeep (Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer/Gladiator) and my Durango.

They install in seconds and you can pop the bracket off and on super easy.

The only thing I don’t have a front plate on is the Alfa. The front splitter extends at speed in dynamic mode and solutions that mount under the splitter just don’t exists for that reason.

I bought a towhook mounting bracket but have not bothered to instal it.

If you put a front plate on that Alfa I will shank you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

That is loving brutal, especially on that car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have three cars and none of them has ever had a front plate and I’ve never gotten hassled in them. The one time I did get hassled it was a dumb rear end highway patrol guy that pulled me over for not having a front plate on my new F-150 so he pulled out, saw that I had a paper plate on the back, pulled me over anyway just for fun I guess, and then asked me for my registration which he should have known I could not have yet.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have not been hassled about our lack of front plate for the 4 years we’ve had the car, in CA with a lot of time spent in NV.

I did, however, many years ago, get hassled for not having a registration sticker, on my front plate, until I pointed out to the officer that it was on the rear plate, where it’s supposed to be.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yep, pretty dumb. My last two new cars had no front plate mount at my request, I assume they just drill them all when they come off the truck and just fed me some BS as they all had it done already.

Fifty Three posted:

https://bumperplugs.com/ Might be worth a look? Sorry to hear that. :(

I thought about it, but I'll just go legit on this one. Probably had enough front plate / tint tickets to last me a lifetime at this point anyhow.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've driven without a front plate in CA for like 20 years, my wife drives my car *once* and gets pulled over for it, lol. Yay the patriarchy

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I feel like there must be two kinds of people:

People who don't like front plates and complain about it.
and people who don't care and don't post.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
At the bare minimum, there are options for front plates that don't require drilling the bumper.

There are no drill brackets that clip to grills like on the model 3, and there are tow plate brackets.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I have my front plate zap strapped to the grill of my xj cuz who gives a poo poo

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

I feel like there must be two kinds of people:

People who don't like front plates and complain about it.
and people who don't care and don't post.

I'm very conflicted on how to reply.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm very conflicted on how to reply.

I was just here to give a voice to the voiceless.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Move to superior states that realize that a front plate is a waste of everyone's time and resources.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Move to superior states that realize that a front plate is a waste of everyone's time and resources.

Single Issue voter but for license plates.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wish every state offered a simple black and white plate instead of all these ugly designs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My Eagle Scout license plates have gotten me out of so much trouble.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Having grown up in Phoenix and moved on to Seattle and then San Diego, I'll keep the front plates, thanks.

I'm using a no longer available bracket (from Skene Designs, not that it matters now) that has 2 screws upward into the bottom of the bumper beam: I didn't want to put holes in the face of the bumper, but underside is fine. And the black/yellow CA plate is close enough to the black front grill on my car that it's not worth the risk of dealing with cops to leave it off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sab669 posted:

I wish every state offered a simple black and white plate instead of all these ugly designs.

I'm so happy Colorado reissued their black background white letter plates. Now I know who's going to drive erratically before they even make a move.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Ontario has a simple blue on white design I quite like. There was an attempt to replace them with a flashy modern design just before covid, it failed utterly when they turned out to be illegible at night. They gave up and went back to the old design, it was all pretty hilarious.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I picked up this 52 chevy last fall, lowered it, new hubcaps and have been cruising it since. Has a nasty tree strike on the roof that i doubt I’ll be fixing. Pretty fun ride, stock drivetrain, steering is still tight enough and i found a nice guy at the napa counter to take the book out and look up some shorter shocks for me.

The car came with a front plate bracket so why not. Hopefully timg still works for thumbnails.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

always be closing posted:

I picked up this 52 chevy last fall, lowered it, new hubcaps and have been cruising it since. Has a nasty tree strike on the roof that i doubt I’ll be fixing. Pretty fun ride, stock drivetrain, steering is still tight enough and i found a nice guy at the napa counter to take the book out and look up some shorter shocks for me.

The car came with a front plate bracket so why not. Hopefully timg still works for thumbnails.

drat fine Chevy, OP

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hell yeah grandpa that thing rules.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I have my front plate zap strapped to the grill of my xj cuz who gives a poo poo

Same but on my MJ when I was still in Mass :lol:

They'll fail your state safety inspection for no front plate there, so I ziptied it to the grille and stopped giving a poo poo.

It has been registered in Washington since January 2021 and I have not once had my front plate on. And I'm not going to, unless someone stops me and tells me to. I don't really care either way, but I am also lazy and think it looks like 1% better without so it stays behind the seats with a few zip ties until the fateful day.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Edit: posted in hot hatch thread

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 13, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

Ontario has a simple blue on white design I quite like. There was an attempt to replace them with a flashy modern design just before covid, it failed utterly when they turned out to be illegible at night. They gave up and went back to the old design, it was all pretty hilarious.

also mandatory front plates. coincidence? i think not

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

And I'm not going to, unless someone stops me and tells me to.

This is actually why I comply, I spend my driving experience avoiding roadside chats.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kastein posted:

They'll fail your state safety inspection for no front plate there, so I ziptied it to the grille and stopped giving a poo poo

Really? drat. I used to live in MA but back then I didn't give a poo poo about my car so of course I had a front plate.

I've got to get my inspection done here in NY, hoping my mechanic doesn't give me a hard time over my window tint. NY has a really dumb law where SUVs and trucks -- yknow, the most popular vehicles -- can have any tint they want on both the front and rear side windows, but anything smaller isn't supposed to block more than like 30% of light in the front sides? 30% Blockage is like "why even bother tinting it at all" levels.

I forget what percent I went with, but definitely more than that. I see tons of cars all the time with super dark tints, so they must be getting passed somewhere 🙃

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lovely cars.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sab669 posted:

I've got to get my inspection done here in NY, hoping my mechanic doesn't give me a hard time over my window tint. NY has a really dumb law where SUVs and trucks -- yknow, the most popular vehicles -- can have any tint they want on both the front and rear side windows, but anything smaller isn't supposed to block more than like 30% of light in the front sides? 30% Blockage is like "why even bother tinting it at all" levels.

I disagree. I have 35% tint all around on my car and I find the light blockage adequate—it’s like sunglasses level. Lots of folks around here will go down to 20% or even limo tint, though, but I don’t want to be hassled by the cops.

Minimum front side tint for trucks and SUVs in Illinois is 50%, but you can go as dark as you want on the other windows. Windshield banners are fine on everything as long as they’re no more than 6” or above the AS1 line.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

30% has always been my go-to. Dark enough to cut the sun and provide a little privacy, but not utterly useless at night and doesn't tend to draw any unwanted attention from the cops.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Full Collapse posted:

I disagree. I have 35% tint all around on my car and I find the light blockage adequate—it’s like sunglasses level. Lots of folks around here will go down to 20% or even limo tint, though, but I don’t want to be hassled by the cops.

Minimum front side tint for trucks and SUVs in Illinois is 50%, but you can go as dark as you want on the other windows. Windshield banners are fine on everything as long as they’re no more than 6” or above the AS1 line.

it sounds like you're saying 35% allowed, where he is saying 30% blocked (70% allowed)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Raluek posted:

it sounds like you're saying 35% allowed, where he is saying 30% blocked (70% allowed)

That’s entirely possible.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
RE: license plate chat, got this on the way:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

RE: license plate chat, got this on the way:

Are those new? Never saw one of those when I lived in Cranston for a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU