Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

mcmagic posted:

The idea that you can wreck QB's is bullshit.

I really, really wish I had the ability to side step into the universe where instead of Mahomes spending his first year starting under Andy Reid throwing to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, he was starting under John Fox throwing to Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1712131164159213666

Dammit.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes, by having a lovely OL and scheme, and/or not coaching him to get the ball out faster when the LT is, by design, slowing down the pass rusher he is facing by diving at his feet instead of blocking him.

I havent been able to watch any Jags games but he's feeling mediocre at best right now. After what they managed the second half of last year I still have hope, but sometimes I wonder if he is broken.

drat coaching and scheme preventing him from throwing to the wide open man.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

drat coaching and scheme preventing him from throwing to the wide open man.

In the post you quoted I said he should be coached to get the ball out. I think it is pretty widely known that Jets offensive coaches are regarded as bad and I made a post about bad coaches ruining good QBs. Rodgers was good. He may still be. We dont know because the offensive coaching on the Jets is terrible.

Let me be clear I dont think Rodgers is without fault on that play, but others are at fault too.

sweet thursday posted:

The idea that a toxic or incompetent workplace can't ruin a worker is pretty funny. Happens all the time, why wouldn't it happen in sports?
Exactly this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yes, by having a lovely OL and scheme, and/or not coaching him to get the ball out faster when the LT is, by design, slowing down the pass rusher he is facing by diving at his feet instead of blocking him.

You can't play a football season at QB and not take some hits no matter how good your OL is. It wasn't even that hard a shot.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

sweet thursday posted:

The idea that a toxic or incompetent workplace can't ruin a worker is pretty funny. Happens all the time, why wouldn't it happen in sports?

Does a toxic workplace ruin typically ruin a worker for the rest of their career? If a junior accountant spends a couple of years at a bad firm, are they rarely able to become a good accountant in a better environment?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AndrewP posted:

You should watch some Jags games, he makes awesome throws a lot and he’s got a really great connection with Calvin Ridley

Also he’s really underrated navigating the pocket and escaping pressure

Not to mention the insane amount of drops, feet out of bounds, and other shenanigans from his receiving corp. If you cut the Jags errors in half they would look like the top team in the AFC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

You can't play a football season at QB and not take some hits no matter how good your OL is. It wasn't even that hard a shot.
Oh of course. But, wasnt there discourse about how Rodgers was telling the media he didnt like the dive-blocking (I forget the official name of that "dive at the feet of the defender" block) then on this play it was on him for trying to extend the play when he really should not have tried to because of the blocking scheme? So again,

Let me be clear I dont think Rodgers is without fault on that play, but others are at fault too.

fsif posted:

Does a toxic workplace ruin typically ruin a worker for the rest of their career? If a junior accountant spends a couple of years at a bad firm, are they rarely able to become a good accountant in a better environment?
Alex Smith was suddenly good with good coaching in SF and then especially so in KC after he was traded. Nick Foles was good then bad then good again as his coaching changed.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In the post you quoted I said he should be coached to get the ball out. I think it is pretty widely known that Jets offensive coaches are regarded as bad and I made a post about bad coaches ruining good QBs. Rodgers was good. He may still be. We dont know because the offensive coaching on the Jets is terrible.
Wait. Are you saying that Aaron Rodgers doesn't know that the ball needs to come out quickly on a 3 step drop? And that he needs it coached into him? He probably learned that in peewee football.

He hosed up. It happens. It's not always on the coaching.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Aaron Rodgers is a 20 years veteran QB with 2 MVP's in the past 4 years on a team whose entire staff bent over backwards to get him in the door. Ignoring everything else we know about him what about that says guy who is going to listen to coaches? Comparing him to Alex Smith and Nick Foles is laughable.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Alex Smith was suddenly good with good coaching in SF and then especially so in KC after he was traded. Nick Foles was good then bad then good again as his coaching changed.

Isn't that actually a counter argument to the idea that a QB could be "ruined" by bad coaching? Like Alex Smith's early bad coaching didn't stop him from eventually becoming good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Exactly this.

The Jets might have the worst QB coaching in the history of football, but 39 year old Aaron Rodgers doesn't need coaches to tell him he needs to get rid of the ball. If he's getting hit, it's cause he can't see it coming or has lost the arm speed to get rid of it. He drat well knows the protection on a play and how much time he's supposed to have.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

This really sucks. I knew he was gonna do well in the NFL but even I didn't think he'd kill it like he has been

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I havent been able to watch any Jags games but he's feeling mediocre at best right now. After what they managed the second half of last year I still have hope, but sometimes I wonder if he is broken.

I dunno the game against the bills he looked awesome

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I don't even care about the Dolphins but this freaking sucks. That guy was having a damned year for himself.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

Isn't that actually a counter argument to the idea that a QB could be "ruined" by bad coaching? Like Alex Smith's early bad coaching didn't stop him from eventually becoming good.
Uuhhh... yup.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Since this is mainly Jets chat on the QB thing (although you could do that with...many teams) someone remind me of the plan with the Mark Sanchez Red Light Green Light thing.

I just remember that being something they tried, I don't remember the implementation other than people making fun of it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

I really, really wish I had the ability to side step into the universe where instead of Mahomes spending his first year starting under Andy Reid throwing to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, he was starting under John Fox throwing to Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy.

I think Mahomes would have been at least fine somewhere else because his accuracy was always bananas good. But I think where he landed - under Andy Reid with the best TE and the best WR in the league - is a maybe the best case scenario of what can happen when talent + situation + coaching match up perfectly.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Since this is mainly Jets chat on the QB thing (although you could do that with...many teams) someone remind me of the plan with the Mark Sanchez Red Light Green Light thing.

I just remember that being something they tried, I don't remember the implementation other than people making fun of it.
Rex tried a color coded situational wristband to try to eliminate Sanchez doing stupid poo poo with the ball. Red meant play it safe. Green meant he could be aggressive.

I think he also tried it to Geno Smith at some point. He also brought in Joe Girardi to teach Sanchez how to slide feet first.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 11, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think there's exceptions to any rule, but I fully believe situations ruin QB's. Like yeah, probably nothing would've turned Lance into something, but you probably could've dumped the majority of 1st round QB's from the last decade with Andy Reid and gotten a good franchise QB out of them, you could've dumped almost any successful one on the Bears and they'd end up dogshit, broken shells of men.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sweet thursday posted:

Surely it call be solved by whacking it in the stall at work, right? Asking for a friend.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AndrewP posted:

I think Mahomes would have been at least fine somewhere else because his accuracy was always bananas good. But I think where he landed - under Andy Reid with the best TE and the best WR in the league - is a maybe the best case scenario of what can happen when talent + situation + coaching match up perfectly.

Mahomes would have been fine on any team except the bears

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Mahomes would have been fine on any team except the bears

This would have been the Bears coached by John Fox, and there's a chance Mahomes is good enough for him to keep his job and he's still coaching the Bears.

So maybe actually a bullet dodged in a certain way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Uh I don't agree with this. Dude is old. It was a routine tackle. He was gonna get hurt eventually if he was that fragile, just bad luck that it happened on the 5th play of the season. No amount of "coaching" was going to change this.

The real problem is the Jets putting all their eggs into the old man coming off an injury wreaked season basket, and not having a viable backup plan.

Not that you can really predict this kinda thing ahead of time, but Rodgers had had like 4 or 5 seasons of having calf issues. That Achilles was gonna pop sooner or later no matter what.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Watson has a rotator cuff contusion and casual googling says that's 6 months. Medical goons, are the Texans about to get a top 5 pick from the browns? How hard do I laugh at this stupid broken team?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10092859-report-deshaun-watson-day-to-day-with-rotator-cuff-injury-ahead-of-browns-vs-49ers

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Watson has a rotator cuff contusion and casual googling says that's 6 months. Medical goons, are the Texans about to get a top 5 pick from the browns? How hard do I laugh at this stupid broken team?
Ice up, bitch.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Idea: Browns should trade for Kirk Cousins to compete in a potentially compromised AFC North before the team gets decimated next season with guys leaving in free agency and Watson's cap number spikes.

Kirk for a 2nd rounder. Or maybe a third and a future third or something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers gonna shock the world and cover the spread

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I hope he’s okay. It’s insane what a running back with Olympian speed and Fox nfl graphic vision can do in this offense

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ran too fast, leg fell off. Many such cases

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Amy Pole Her posted:

I hope he’s okay. It’s insane what a running back with Olympian speed and Fox nfl graphic vision can do in this offense

Yeah, a fun player to watch. I'm still rooting for Mostert as a Niners fan, and I've sort of adopted his backup as well.

Stuff like this. This is the first play of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ClQpmBnBQ&t=39s

LOL, of course it happened against the Jets.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

fsif posted:

I mean, yeah, people get burned out and stop giving a poo poo all the time. Or the bad habits/practices they learned under bad management stick around even when they go under new management.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Looking at the Russ contract on a lark and I didn't realize the Broncos actually have an out coming up.

2024: $17m base salary, fully guaranteed
2025: $37m base salary, fully guaranteed only if he's on the roster at the beginning of the new league year. Broncos can cut him and "only" have to deal with a dead cap hit of.... $85m next year.

Could theoretically trade him and a pick to get him off the books, and the new team either negotiates a deal to make that 2025 number not stupid or just cuts him and pays $17m for a draft pick.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm sure they don't truly care about results, only money, but if they did the new Broncos owners have to be wondering exactly how this situation came to be.

And maybe applying some slight pressure while staying out of the way to Payton on the idea of firing Vance Joseph. Not that Payton is really rolling in glory himself, but well, things are much worse on one side of the ball and he doesn't care about that side.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, a fun player to watch. I'm still rooting for Mostert as a Niners fan, and I've sort of adopted his backup as well.

Stuff like this. This is the first play of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ClQpmBnBQ&t=39s

LOL, of course it happened against the Jets.

Thats the cardinals

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

Looking at the Russ contract on a lark and I didn't realize the Broncos actually have an out coming up.

2024: $17m base salary, fully guaranteed
2025: $37m base salary, fully guaranteed only if he's on the roster at the beginning of the new league year. Broncos can cut him and "only" have to deal with a dead cap hit of.... $85m next year.

Could theoretically trade him and a pick to get him off the books, and the new team either negotiates a deal to make that 2025 number not stupid or just cuts him and pays $17m for a draft pick.

Problem is Russ is actually playing well now

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

fsif posted:

An accountant doesn’t really have a finite window of time before their skills rapidly decline

Like with anything in football it’s a mix of factors. Sometimes you don’t spend anything on your O-line and your potential HOF QB gets too hurt and just quits. Sometimes your QB is taught some bad habits they can’t break. Maybe they skate by on talent but the coaching staff never teaches them how to refine their game so they have something to fall back on when the athleticism slips. Occasionally they have some potential but by the time they hit FA they’re damaged goods and no one is going to take them seriously as a starting QB again. You can argue about whether they are truly wrecked or not but ultimately there is 100% a difference between getting coached by someone like Reid early in your career versus, just picking a name out of a hat, Frank Reich.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bows1 posted:

Thats the cardinals

Oh right, the Jets were in the first play in the clip.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jets, Niners and Texans. It's Shanahan and his two DCs.

Chart is cool although it's doing the squished Y axis thing where the peak is 12% and the majority are like 6%. So this is probably a difference of twice a game at the extremes?

"Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix was not meant as literal step by step life advice, my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Problem is Russ is actually playing well now

I'm also wrong anyway, OTC rolled a guaranteed option bonus into SB so the numbers are wrong.

Broncos are on the hook for a guaranteed $24m Option bonus next year, so it'd be damned tough to find a buyer for that monstrosity.