Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have separate sick and annual leave, and people keep asking why we can't combine them :psyduck: I want to know what the gently caress is wrong with these people. Plus you accrue more annual leave the longer you stick around. Baseline is 4 hrs vacation, then you get 5 at 5 years, 6 at 10. They decided to bypass 15 years for some reason, at 20 you get 7 hours per pay period, almost a full day every two weeks. Sick leave is just 4 hours a pay period forever. Do these idiots want less time off?

They don't get sick often and figure combining it means they will have more vacation time to spend instead of just eliminating the sick time bucket (which is probably what the company would do) and eating into your vacation for getting sick. Also, they are too stupid to just use the sick leave to take a long weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
My PTO and sick leave is mandated and protected by law and the company I work for now has an extra paid day off every two weeks on top of that as a perk.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ravus Ursus posted:

On the other hand, you could freely donate you PTO. Which seems stupid. But a rare loophole allowed one dude to make money on it.

He made like 36k a year. His wife made 150k a year and also worked there. Every year he'd donate his entire PTO bank to his wife and then take vacations with her unpaid. So they'd get double the time off paid out at her full salary.

:discourse:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm freelance so sometimes I'm very busy and sometimes I have little or nothing to do.
This is somewhat within my control. I reject long-term commitments.

All I want is to get paid 3x for the volume of work I already do.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It gets mentioned every time the topic pops up but you US people need to rise up and demand a humane amount of time off.

Average here is 30 days of PTO, plus 12 days of national holidays, sick time is unlimited, tho only 6 weeks are paid by the employer, after that its 70% paid by health insurance iirc.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

It gets mentioned every time the topic pops up but you US people need to rise up and demand a humane amount of time off.

Average here is 30 days of PTO, plus 12 days of national holidays, sick time is unlimited, tho only 6 weeks are paid by the employer, after that its 70% paid by health insurance iirc.

USA is a failed state where capitalism has won. They arent going to give up the power they have bought.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The Netherlands isn't nearly as good as that but even we get at least 20 PTO a year not including national holidays, and paid sick time off.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Son of Rodney posted:

This plus of one of my kids are sick, I can take their sick days off (within reason).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Son of Rodney posted:

My country finally changed the days off from 3 after your first year to 12. So one of my coworkers is surprised he has 20 days of vacations next year. That only happened with people who had been working more than a decade in the same place.

There is also the talks to have our work hours trimmed down. Turns out Mexico was like the third or second country with more work hours.

Sick days are still kinda limited tho. :smith:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

sure we'll get right on that boss

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
This video from the capitalism thread was pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvk_XylEmLo

TLDR: medieval peasants had more time off per day and per year than we do now.

Also it all started to go downhill when clocks became common and one of the first things companies would do was mess with the factory clocks to screw the workers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Today the client paid for $1500* of dinner and karaoke haha

*for 24 people

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

One of our customers accidentally ordered a magnitude more product than they wanted and are trying to weasel out of paying by saying they didn't receive the confirmation emails. $15k instead of $1500 worth of product, all made-to-order. I went through our ERP system and exchange server to pull the logs showing the emails were sent. It's not our fault if they didn't bother to read the confirmations. I wonder if anyone is going to lose their job over this.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Man that's a lot of cock rings

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

NFX posted:

There have been times where I wished I had :bravo: at work

I constantly wish I had :thanks: and :whitewater: at work.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I’ve talked about bakeout before, it’s when you get a chamber very hot for a very long time. It is necessary for all PVDs and precleans to go through a minimum 6 hour bakeout reaching up to 400C.

There are some chambers missing critical parts that are unsafe to bakeout. These chambers have very clear signs in huge font saying “DO NOT BAKEOUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR JOB” Teams is full of warnings not to bakeout these chambers.

People are still baking them out:bang:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Do you work with Cheech and Chong?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im baking one out right now

hold on hr is calling for some reason

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, and now there are rattlesnakes in the parking lot, so that’s fun.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Machai posted:

One of our customers accidentally ordered a magnitude more product than they wanted and are trying to weasel out of paying by saying they didn't receive the confirmation emails. $15k instead of $1500 worth of product, all made-to-order. I went through our ERP system and exchange server to pull the logs showing the emails were sent. It's not our fault if they didn't bother to read the confirmations. I wonder if anyone is going to lose their job over this.

Come on, we all know they are CEO now

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

TaurusTorus posted:

Oh, and now there are rattlesnakes in the parking lot, so that’s fun.

Coworkers are baking out chambers not safe for bake-out, then immediately going outside and releasing plague-level rats and toads?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Bored posted:

Coworkers are baking out chambers not safe for bake-out, then immediately going outside and releasing plague-level rats and toads?

That's why they shouldn't bake out. Turns out that one of the missing critical parts is the AntiVerminator.
If you bake out without it, you get spontaneous generation of what the manual describes as "whatsoever creepeth upon the earth", which obviously isn't great

Edit: Are industrial manuals usually in Aramaic? Asking for a friend.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

One of the best senior techs I know regularly imbibes, so if they were on that crazy cabbage, anecdotal evidence suggests they would perform better.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Atopian posted:

That's why they shouldn't bake out. Turns out that one of the missing critical parts is the AntiVerminator.
If you bake out without it, you get spontaneous generation of what the manual describes as "whatsoever creepeth upon the earth", which obviously isn't great

Edit: Are industrial manuals usually in Aramaic? Asking for a friend.

:rolleyes: Yeah, like 5 years ago. Now they are all in short-form gallifreyan.

I have no clue how any of our manufacturing, engineering, machining goons do their jobs. My understanding stops at “clean rooms” and “unsafe” I think.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Hmm, pre-employment drug test a year after I started? Strange, but ok.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

TaurusTorus posted:

There are some chambers missing critical parts that are unsafe to bakeout. These chambers have very clear signs in huge font saying “DO NOT BAKEOUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR JOB” Teams is full of warnings not to bakeout these chambers.

People are still baking them out:bang:

Someone needs to enforce the note.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pro-tip to anyone like my former coworker: When attempting to circumvent a bevy of laws, silently moving to another country, and trying to hide it from your employers before you cut bait make sure the company that you are in dispute with doesn't have access to PMCs and infosec security teams that can find your location.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Boss is currently very confused as to why she owes outstanding VAT 🤔

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Barudak posted:

Pro-tip to anyone like my former coworker: When attempting to circumvent a bevy of laws, silently moving to another country, and trying to hide it from your employers before you cut bait make sure the company that you are in dispute with doesn't have access to PMCs and infosec security teams that can find your location.

So I've just been reading the thread but come on!

In actual related content, company has decided to make the team I'm in redundant just after I had started looking for other jobs. I have an interview on Friday, and have started submitting in earnest, but when severance pay I might be able to just take a two month vacation and start in January, all going well.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Shoehead posted:

Boss is currently very confused as to why she owes outstanding VAT 🤔

I don't know if you mentioned it here, or in another thread, I'd use that vacation time before the shop is gone. Or at least get them to pay you out!

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 11, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Barudak posted:

Wait, did someone try to go to Singapore on their own? And then someone at the company got pissed that the person took all the fun out of that move?

“We are going to send you to the Singapore office.”

“Can’t, I’m already there.”

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Orvin posted:

Wait, did someone try to go to Singapore on their own? And then someone at the company got pissed that the person took all the fun out of that move?

Deploy the PMC to bring them back here to I can send them to Singapore myself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

:stare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rawrbomb posted:

I don't know if you mentioned it here, or in another thread, I'd use that vacation time before the shop is gone. Or at least get them to pay you out!
Yeah I've been debating that, I could really really do with the time off. I usually only take a day here and there, and that was ok when the shop was a nice place, but now I'm depressed the entire time..

She also got a massive rental bill for a water purifier that she got put in 10ish years ago and never got serviced, she says she shouldn't have to pay because of that, I hope they poke her again while I'm in.

Also this reminded me I need to submit some tax info to the bank, so I'm gonna go do that so I can leave :v:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Shoehead posted:

Yeah I've been debating that, I could really really do with the time off. I usually only take a day here and there, and that was ok when the shop was a nice place, but now I'm depressed the entire time..

She also got a massive rental bill for a water purifier that she got put in 10ish years ago and never got serviced, she says she shouldn't have to pay because of that, I hope they poke her again while I'm in.

Also this reminded me I need to submit some tax info to the bank, so I'm gonna go do that so I can leave :v:

Just seeing the writing on the walls (that its a sinking ship), I know you're sticking it out for your own reasons, just I guess don't expect that money to be there right now or be planning on it. Given the other things you've said.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Man that's a lot of cock rings

So that's where all the overstock came from. :nws:

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 11, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In response to "so what will happen to [employee name] when they return?"

"They will find there is no longer an open position for them"

Orvin posted:

They were trying to claim they were still in Japan while communicating and the company sussed that out real quick.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Are they a goon? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3442319&pagenumber=672&perpage=40&highlight=laptop,vpn#post534839756

Busy Bee posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question.

I have a work laptop where I do not have admin rights. Is there a way where I can use a VPN between the WiFi connection <-> work laptop?

Busy Bee posted:

I intend on traveling in a few weeks and want to be logging in from the country I'm based in.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I see this question on some Japan expat forums before from people who want to move away without telling their employer or giving up their visa status. Sorry guys, permanent residency is only permanent if you're a resident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bored posted:

How would you know if they were plague rats? Did they buy themselves transphobic avatars?