Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

I've been waiting to sign up for Paramount + cuz I want to watch S2 of SNW and god help me Picard and Discovery; but all the news I've read recently has caused me to hold off. And now there's Trek not on Paramount+? Isn't that one of their big selling points? All the Trek?

Paramount doesn't consider Prodigy to be Star Trek, it's made no secret of that lately :ssh:

Powered Descent posted:

From the article, it sounds like Netflix will just be showing the existing episodes, including the 99%-done season 2. Any word on actually making more beyond that?

We're in "wait and see how well it does on Netflix" mode now. We don't know who's gonna foot the bill for a Season 3 if Prodigy's a success on Netflix, Paramount or Netflix. And Paramount has made its disgust for Prodigy known so I doubt they'll put the cash up especially since they barely have the cash left to keep the lights on as it is. And Netflix is stingy as poo poo too, so... uh... enjoy Season 2, I guess? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Paramount+ has all the Amazing Races if you’re like me and get off on travel itinerary drama

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Looking forward to seeing Prodigy with my kid.

redshirt posted:

I've been waiting to sign up for Paramount + cuz I want to watch S2 of SNW and god help me Picard and Discovery; but all the news I've read recently has caused me to hold off. And now there's Trek not on Paramount+? Isn't that one of their big selling points? All the Trek?
Picard does some good things with the original cast here and there and S1 isn't terrible imo, but it's really hard to say anything positive about Disco. A couple characters are interesting and it looks great but it's just a shiny turd. Looking forward to your after-action hate watch reports.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Looking forward to your after-action hate watch reports.

I kept watching that trash. I enjoyed every scene that David Cronenberg was in but very little else

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Picard and Discovery

but why?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Worst season of any Trek series has to be Picard S2. Disco never works quite right but S2 Picard is just dire.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sedgr posted:

Worst season of any Trek series has to be Picard S2. Disco never works quite right but S2 Picard is just dire.

It’s really hard for me to decide which Picard season is the worst. Season 1 is consistently awful, season 2 starts out okay and then dives lower than season 1, season 3 is 4/5ths a mostly competent fan fiction plot but then that final fifth is such an egregious waste of time that it drags the whole thing down to hell. Tough call.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like to suffer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

I like to suffer.

You have the wrong av for that. Stop trying to take O'brian's thing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

redshirt posted:

someone had a really solid marketing idea with that one, but it looks like they didn't even do the basic due diligence as a company to keep it going a few months past launch lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Everyone mentions the gel scenes in enterprise but nobody mentions the foot fetish episodes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, I've always felt the Romulans were a little under-represented in the shows too. But the trouble, as I once saw it put, is that the Cardassians took the Romulans' entire shtick (secretive, oppressive, militaristic, paranoid) and then did it much better.

They do show up in the Picard show, quite prominently in Season 1, but unfortunately it's not written terribly well.

It's a shame because Andreas Katsulas was amazing as G'Kar and he absolutely could have brought that to Tomaluk if he'd been given the room

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think Tomalak is behind only Lwaxana Troi in terms of how many loving insane ways people find to misspell the character's name.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tomalak rhymes with Tomahawk

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's all misspelled if it's in English. His name is Romulan. :colbert:

Gaddafi Gadhafi Qaddafi Khadaffi etc etc.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Picard S3 was terrible and stupid but I can at least respect that it exists entirely to give a giant middle finger to the previous two seasons and the movies.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Picard S3 was terrible and stupid but I can at least respect that it exists entirely to give a giant middle finger to the previous two seasons and the movies.

Watching these huge Brands flail around trying desperately to appeal to whatever built-in audience they have left is certainly an interesting experience

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Especially when fan fiction authors are already pumping out fan stuff for free on the internet, and it's somehow better than the highly produced stuff.

Note, I've never actually read any fan fiction, I'm just assuming it's better.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Remember when Scotty becomes possessed by Jack the Ripper and does serial killing

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Remember when Worf devolved into a giant beetle and actually ate several crew members

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tighclops posted:

Watching these huge Brands flail around trying desperately to appeal to whatever built-in audience they have left is certainly an interesting experience

It will never cease to puzzle me why all of Hollywood simultaneously came to the same conclusion about ten years ago that surely the road to profit was to actively demean and destroy the properties that were already printing them money. Like name me a big “nerd” property in the last decade that didn’t say “Actually the characters all ended up failures who became estranged and hateful to each other and failed at everything and left the world worse off than they found it, and all died childless with no descendants. gently caress them and gently caress you for liking stories you loving nerd.”
Wars, Trek, Terminator, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, etc. Just every setting ending up objectively worse off than it was during the first movie and all the heroes humiliated and dying alone. And then they were surprised when it turned out literally zero people wanted that, cue things like Picard S3.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

galagazombie posted:

It will never cease to puzzle me why all of Hollywood simultaneously came to the same conclusion about ten years ago that surely the road to profit was to actively demean and destroy the properties that were already printing them money.

The answer is Game of Thrones.

They took all the wrong lessons from it's huge popularity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Season 1 at least had the tiniest pinprick of an artistic identity behind it. 2 and 3 were empty farts devoid of value because one was a floundering stopgap and the other was just naked Boomer and Gen X pandering.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Gen X pandering.

Hey! You leave us out of this poo poo!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galagazombie posted:

It will never cease to puzzle me why all of Hollywood simultaneously came to the same conclusion about ten years ago that surely the road to profit was to actively demean and destroy the properties that were already printing them money. Like name me a big “nerd” property in the last decade that didn’t say “Actually the characters all ended up failures who became estranged and hateful to each other and failed at everything and left the world worse off than they found it, and all died childless with no descendants. gently caress them and gently caress you for liking stories you loving nerd.”
Wars, Trek, Terminator, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, etc. Just every setting ending up objectively worse off than it was during the first movie and all the heroes humiliated and dying alone. And then they were surprised when it turned out literally zero people wanted that, cue things like Picard S3.

Your plastic childhood toy heroes where poo poo and they deserve to be poo poo upon. Kill your nostalgia before it kills you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Hey! You leave us out of this poo poo!

I would, but it's an irrefutable fact that Picard Season 3 was purpose built by Terry Matalas to be the kiss to the brain boo boo of crusty neckbead nerds over or pushing 50 who were mad about how woke and progressive and inclusive Star Trek somehow got while they weren't paying attention. I am sorry you are tarred by association.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I would, but it's an irrefutable fact that Picard Season 3 was purpose built by Terry Matalas to be the kiss to the brain boo boo of crusty neckbead nerds over or pushing 50 who were mad about how woke and progressive and inclusive Star Trek somehow got while they weren't paying attention. I am sorry you are tarred by association.

Guess I should just be glad to be remembered.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah I liked if better when Star Trek wasn't so political.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lol at Tuvok in this episode being totally put out with this poo poo of all these visitors on the vessell" There is a 2nd page, There is a 3rd page", he's so done with these alien delegation bullshit.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

What the hell is going on with this Voyager episode, "Twisted" and why is it triggering an acid flashback?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

What the hell is going on with this Voyager episode, "Twisted" and why is it triggering an acid flashback?

It's "what it time zones were actual different points in time, and Janeway has to walk from Boston to Seattle to solve the plot?"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

From the plot synopsis:

"Janeway is returned to health and surmises that the energy field was somehow sentient and trying to communicate with them – her theory is backed by the fact that the ship's entire memory has been downloaded and that 20 million gigaquads of data have been uploaded to Voyager's computer."

drat that's a lot of data to never mention ever again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's amazing that the :techno: advisors invented a fictional unit of data to get around the "OMG this incredible futuretech has 200 MEGABYTES of storage!" problem and Voyager somehow managed to do just that anyway.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Powered Descent posted:

Computer, erase that entire race ghost.
Sisko would punch the poo poo out of a race ghost.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait what did s3 have to do with wokeness? I mean it was bad because it was just “Hey ‘member the D? ‘member the Borg? ‘member the Changelings? ‘member Data being alive? ‘member Moriarty? ‘member Lore? ‘member Spot and dead Tasha hologram? ‘member Bat’leths? ‘member all the ships at the museum?” and so on and so forth. But like Geordie never complained about about cancel culture or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Wait what did s3 have to do with wokeness? I mean it was bad because it was just “Hey ‘member the D? ‘member the Borg? ‘member the Changelings? ‘member Data being alive? ‘member Moriarty? ‘member Lore? ‘member Spot and dead Tasha hologram? ‘member Bat’leths? ‘member all the ships at the museum?” and so on and so forth. But like Geordie never complained about about cancel culture or something.

I mean all the young kids in Starfleet get a mind virus and start destroying everything and only the olds can save them from their zoomer Borg bullshit which is kind of a :thunk: plot when you think about it for more than two seconds, but it's easy to give it a pass because Terry Matalas doesn't think too deeply about poo poo like that to realize the connotations of what he made there.

But no, Terry literally made the season to appeal to the worst of the worst and the maddest of the maddest nerd chuds who've been screaming that Star Trek has gone off the rails since 2017 when they put women and black people and gay people in it so he made the safest most backward-looking nostalgia pablum he could to placate them and we have photographic proof of this because here he is hanging out with a bunch of notable white supremacist nerd choades like it's no big deal:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Watched first two eps of SNW last night and really enjoyed it, what a fun little ride and very upbeat.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

Barclay still goes through the whole "6 inches is the average? This is very troubling." routine, just from the other direction.

No the type of BDE Riker exudes is that of a man who finds he has a slightly lower than average dick and leans into it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Flipswitch posted:

Watched first two eps of SNW last night and really enjoyed it, what a fun little ride and very upbeat.

what are your opinions on pikes hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh my loving god Agimus is Combs too???