Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know how to articulate how much people have been trained to have a distaste for heavy industry and will privilege any bullshit that’s lean, digital, innovative or a start up.

States were built on heavy industry, it’s literally the foundation of post-medieval armies going back to bell foundries making the first bombards, but they would rather have people working out of a WeWork not produce anything than have steel mills producing armour plate or gun barrels.

It’s the weirdest goddamn thing.

Because the Soviet loved the heavy industry, so you got to do the opposite of what the Soviet did. Also spin off NASA R&D to Elon Musk because you need to have fake capitalist competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Because the Soviet loved the heavy industry, so you got to do the opposite of what the Soviet did. Also spin off NASA R&D to Elon Musk because you need to have fake capitalist competition.

nah it’s not that, oil & gas after-all is a heavy industry. it is that heavy industry requires significant capital investment and that’s anathema to short term profits.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Do the Chinese have any kind of academic discipline where they study the US to learn how not to run an empire? It would make for an interesting degree.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fell Mood posted:

Do the Chinese have any kind of academic discipline where they study the US to learn how not to run an empire? It would make for an interesting degree.

It's called Marxist-Leninism op

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

It's called Marxist-Leninism op

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Soviet Union speed running the Industrial Revolution saved them from being annihilated by the Nazis. Anyone or anything that supports communism must be shunned and punished forever. Forever.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

nah it’s not that, oil & gas after-all is a heavy industry. it is that heavy industry requires significant capital investment and that’s anathema to short term profits.

I think you can make an argument that US heavy industries are legacy from before the cold war and before the US turned ideological nutcase.

Also just numbers I remember off my head, the R&D spending in the Kennedy era was 12% versus 2% currently.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Wait you're telling me you can't run a state defense industry using the cult of small business?

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know how to articulate how much people have been trained to have a distaste for heavy industry and will privilege any bullshit that’s lean, digital, innovative or a start up.

But you can try very hard to do it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5FNux8ez8

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think you can make an argument that US heavy industries are legacy from before the cold war and before the US turned ideological nutcase.

Also just numbers I remember off my head, the R&D spending in the Kennedy era was 12% versus 2% currently.

that might be true for the steel mills, but it certainly isnt true for energy or aerospace. and even in the steel industry we didnt see real declines until the 1970s, well after the start of anti-communist cold war fever.

it isn't an ideological opposition to the soviets that made america abandon the industrial base, but instead the overarching nature of finance capitalism. your return on assets ratio looks great whenever you sell off a massive asset. the investment in maintenance or construction of new industrial capacity cant compete with the roi of paper assets and other financial trickery.

why didnt these forces impact the energy industry (and oil & gas in particular)? in part because we give O&G special tax statues that let them achieve lower costs of investment and better roi than even financial investments, but also because the most expensive capital investments, refineries, are requisite for the high roi extraction industry that is able to take place all across the globe and leverage those typical cross-border imperial benefits. the refineries themselves are teetering on collapse, because even with that core position, it still doesnt pay to maintain them, their margins are slim, and companies are trying to get out of that business. which is the pattern you'd assume from the larger trends. but its still cheaper to keep cancer alley in the US rather than ship the products in.

if anything, the traditional MIC grift and anti-communistic ideology is what kept american industry alive as long as it did. both through military spending and also through a desire for direct economic competition in countries we were economically targeting. if america couldn't provide a resource or a good the threat was the soviets might provide that instead.

absent the cold war, the Business School-facation of the MIC was able to take complete hold and we get companies like our modern Boeing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

But you can try very hard to do it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5FNux8ez8

lol the loving scaled agile, mba, military is a marketplace brain rot in the mic is terminal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

lol the loving scaled agile, mba, military is a marketplace brain rot in the mic is terminal

lol the fact that they think this will deter… let me check my notes…the country that makes everything… is concerning.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

lol the fact that they think this will deter… let me check my notes…the country that makes everything… is concerning.

we simply need to create market incentives

[market moves all manufacturing capital and intellectual know-how to Team Red]

ah well nevertheless

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1712088794806263935

someone in the israeli ministry of defense is hammering f5 on aliexpress for body armor

How is the west planning to go to war with the country it orders body armour from? jw.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

People worried about Bidens crazy rhetoric about Israel are overestimate US capability I think. Even multiple aircraft carriers launching planes seem unlikely to add that much ordinance to what the Israelis are already dropping. Bombing the rubble of already bombed hospitals has diminishing returns.

Any significant help would be on the ground and it took years to prepare to invade Iraq for the second time and our invasion was nearly unopposed so getting troops in place to invade Gaza wouldn't be that much easier. The US was still constantly short on material goods in 03 and even this forum was donating to troops like it was a school bake sale. The American empire is dramatically weaker today than it was in 2003 and that was before we shipped off so much to Ukraine. Hell it's crazy to think how much weaker the empire is now than it was when it lost wars in Vietnam and Korea.

Actually, aren't militaries worldwide generally weaker than they were in the 20th century (except China)? The advantages of the additional technology seem much less significant than the loss of industrial capability or switching from bigger more destructive systems to smaller ones focused on assisting special operations. You certainly seem to see this in Israel where they lost combat capability over 50 years to focus on bully boy poo poo and protecting their conscripts. This just matters the most to the US because no other country wants to fight wars thousands of miles from their border.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Basically liberalism lost the ability to motivate soldiers and civilian populations, while deindustrializing at the same time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I love that moneyball talk, because him an hour of talking jargon back and forth to finally admit they just want to buy some cheap drones at China and sell them at markup.

(China totally should also just put back doors in all of them for their own EW purposes.)

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
ask a liberal to choose between jesus and barrabas, and they will respond by adjourning the meeting and forming a committee to further research the question at hand. it's much the same in warfighting, where the fundamentally flawed liberal Weltanschauung leads them to confuse their idealised version of reality with what is actually occurring. it'd be hilarious, if it weren't going to kill us all

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

oscarthewilde posted:

ask a liberal to choose between jesus and barrabas, and they will respond by adjourning the meeting and forming a committee to further research the question at hand. it's much the same in warfighting, where the fundamentally flawed liberal Weltanschauung leads them to confuse their idealised version of reality with what is actually occurring. it'd be hilarious, if it weren't going to kill us all

isn’t an implied thesis here that it is kind of losing its ability to kill us all

war: it’s just too expensive folks

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
addendum: I’m not actually that stupid. close, but quite

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

People worried about Bidens crazy rhetoric about Israel are overestimate US capability I think. Even multiple aircraft carriers launching planes seem unlikely to add that much ordinance to what the Israelis are already dropping. Bombing the rubble of already bombed hospitals has diminishing returns.

Any significant help would be on the ground and it took years to prepare to invade Iraq for the second time and our invasion was nearly unopposed so getting troops in place to invade Gaza wouldn't be that much easier. The US was still constantly short on material goods in 03 and even this forum was donating to troops like it was a school bake sale. The American empire is dramatically weaker today than it was in 2003 and that was before we shipped off so much to Ukraine. Hell it's crazy to think how much weaker the empire is now than it was when it lost wars in Vietnam and Korea.

Actually, aren't militaries worldwide generally weaker than they were in the 20th century (except China)? The advantages of the additional technology seem much less significant than the loss of industrial capability or switching from bigger more destructive systems to smaller ones focused on assisting special operations. You certainly seem to see this in Israel where they lost combat capability over 50 years to focus on bully boy poo poo and protecting their conscripts. This just matters the most to the US because no other country wants to fight wars thousands of miles from their border.

the carriers are not there to bomb palestinians but to deter outside forces from intervening to stop the israelis or like aid flotillas that help gaza

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

the carriers are not there to bomb palestinians but to deter outside forces from intervening to stop the israelis or like aid flotillas that help gaza

It's there so the pilots can get their logbook hours up doing bomb runs on anything with 2 or more bricks.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

yellowcar posted:

They may be bombing Lebanon and Syria though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TotherChris/status/1712046645012041848

bringing back thumpers only this time griftily

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The MIC desperately needs to invent the smartguns from the Aliens movie, where every round is a tiny computer guided tracking rocket. Must be like ten grand a shot and those things fire full auto. Imagine the glee when the colonial marines ordered those.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

The MIC desperately needs to invent the smartguns from the Aliens movie, where every round is a tiny computer guided tracking rocket. Must be like ten grand a shot and those things fire full auto. Imagine the glee when the colonial marines ordered those.

this also reminds me of the APC in the Aliens movie which is useless in anything that isn't a flat road

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

How is the west planning to go to war with the country it orders body armour from? jw.

Dude you buy the armor before the war geez I thought you were an expert on this poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Palladium posted:

this also reminds me of the APC in the Aliens movie which is useless in anything that isn't a flat road

yeah but the main grift was the top turret on a track so that it could be slung around the back instead of just making the doors (that were also built by the same company) two feet taller

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/TotherChris/status/1712046645012041848

bringing back thumpers only this time griftily

Canada procured these for CANSOFCOM (and only CANSOFCOM)

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
CANS OF CUM :dumbgun:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Frosted Flake posted:

States were built on heavy industry, it’s literally the foundation of post-medieval armies going back to bell foundries making the first bombards, but they would rather have people working out of a WeWork not produce anything than have steel mills producing armour plate or gun barrels.

It’s the weirdest goddamn thing.

industrial workers have unions. fart app designers in weworks do not

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

duh once we win the war in a week we'll just own all those factories or whatever

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also the question is how to go to war, not how to win a war.

German Reich went to war with the Soviet Union even though it was getting steel from them, it can be done.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

German Reich went to war with the Soviet Union even though it was getting steel from them, it can be done.

Ominous foreshadowing.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

hm I wonder who produces most of the world's steel now

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

hm I wonder who produces most of the world's steel now

it's nbd, we got this

the covid pandemic blurb is very funny

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade posted:

um akshually

they're regular guns firing regular ammo (though it is explosive-tipped)

the "smart" part is that the entire gun is on a gyro-stabilized powered mount coupled to an infrared lead/aim computing sight that points the gun at the target for you if you aim it within the general vicinity.

and they're very cool

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

um akshually

they're regular guns firing regular ammo (though it is explosive-tipped)

the "smart" part is that the entire gun is on a gyro-stabilized powered mount coupled to an infrared lead/aim computing sight that points the gun at the target for you if you aim it within the general vicinity.

and they're very cool

Can you run w a steadicam rig?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

This drives me crazy since I did some research on retooling Canadian industry during WW2 and Canadian wartime production of guns and associated systems. It's very, very hard to explain to the average person how far we've fallen, even in the military. I imagine it's just about impossible to explain to a civilian that pipe and boilermakers were retooled to make hundreds of guns and carriages, but we can't do that anymore because we don't even have the civilian industries anymore. There are no Canadian railroad workshops to convert from making locomotives to Leopard 2s, no manufacturer of boilers, grain elevating and conveying machinery, hydraulic turbines, tugs, and reciprocating and centrifugal pumps to make 60% of GPMGs in service worldwide, plus the machinery for 4 destroyers and hundreds of light antiaircraft guns. You see what I mean? That's not even getting into the state's will or ability to harness industry (lol), the state abolished tariffs and let the industry dissolve.

Okay, take that a step further. What about pure military industry? Do you really imagine the state able to purchase land, get started on a factory in 2 months, have it built and productive in 8, and produce 1 million rifles in a few years? To oversee the creation of a specialized industry where 126,000 men and women are employed? That can build 4,047 naval vessels, including over 300 anti-submarine warships, 4 destroyers, and 410 cargo ships?

It doesn't matter if we could do this stuff in theory, nobody can even imagine doing it, let alone bring themselves to try.

So what you're saying is that China can easily turn all that excess industrial capacity to military production if for some crazy reason there's a huge drop in consumer demand?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

So what you're saying is that China can easily turn all that excess industrial capacity to military production if for some crazy reason there's a huge drop in consumer demand?

lol we’re so hosed it’s not even funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Can you run w a steadicam rig?

Absolutely

I thought it was questionable that the smart gun troops were the ones sent in to clear small rooms though

Also you can deploy the smart gun as a poor man's automatic sentry if you've got a tripod handy