Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

American Horror Remakes by the director of the Foreign original that star Naomi Watts

If you open it up to just "American Remakes of Horror Movies" she adds on King Kong, The Ring, and Goodnight Mommy, which has to be some kind of record. 5 American horror remakes from one actress? Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Just popping in to say I’ve already watched 31 new-to-me horror movies since 12:01 am on October 1st. I’m mostly operating on vibes this year. No challenges or gimmicks really besides trying to get a movie for every letter of the alphabet. Probably gonna meet or beat my record last year of 100 movies by midnight on Halloween at this pace.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

:perfect:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So in other news I just watched Candyman 2021 and it's kind of a slight movie but otherwise it's kind of great? The gallery owners and Briana's brother/his boyfriend felt like David Gordon Green side characters (they were just a little too cartoony and corny) but otherwise had no real complaints, especially once the movie really got going.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

So in other news I just watched Candyman 2021 and it's kind of a slight movie but otherwise it's kind of great? The gallery owners and Briana's brother/his boyfriend felt like David Gordon Green side characters (they were just a little too cartoony and corny) but otherwise had no real complaints, especially once the movie really got going.

High five.

It’s got some flaws (what you said, some weird pacing), but what it gets right it gets real right. The visuals are just stunning.

I’d watch a whole movie of just those shadow puppets. God drat.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

He's so much fun in Ken Russell's Crime of Passion too. Is he a real priest? Is it a kink? Whatever he's doing he's going way over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLEliqHy0g

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm a little colder on it than I was the further I get away from my first watch of it but the expanding of the Candyman legend and mythos, beautiful camera work, and use of papercraft are all awesome. Some seriously beautiful shots in it and the ending is cool as gently caress.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah that ending just loving rules.

I also really liked when Briana's checking the laundromat and sees the dark basement stairs and just says "nope" and walks away.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s kind of a shame that Nia DaCosta got swallowed by the Marvel machine. She has an eye for it and most of the flaws were because it was a franchise. (Still great she can pay off her student loans or whatever though.)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Weaponized urban Legends is such a dope rear end concept

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So I’ve never actually seen Freddy vs Jason before. Yeah, I know.

I’m about half way and… I have no idea if it’s bad or if it’s doing a bit. It’s like it’s parodying itself in real time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s great and stupid

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It stinks. Some sweet visuals tho.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think long-running Slasher series had to turn into self-aware parodies at the time to be relevant. Bride of Chucky led the way but Jason is the most famous and overused Slasher Killer so Jason X and FvJ definitely had to lay into the wink-wink humor to be taken seriously. Kinda funny, they had to be silly to be taken seriously, but that's how I see it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Freddy fighting Jason is inherently a silly concept. So you have to have a little fun with it. I wish the AvP movies did the same. But I wouldn't want it to be a straight goofball flick, but some humor and more cool Predator and Alien moments would've been fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Freddy fighting Jason is inherently a silly concept. So you have to have a little fun with it. I wish the AvP movies did the same. But I wouldn't want it to be a straight goofball flick, but some humor and more cool Predator and Alien moments would've been fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDqWizovT8

Reading the commens, nice to know my experience of "me and everyone in the theater burst out laughing" isn't unique.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that’s one scene. I hate that movie.

I take it way too seriously and it offends me lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Problem here would be casting. All I have is a 9 year old black pug. He's about as threatening as a potato (which he resembles).

You know that only makes it better, right? The Chihuahua Murders. Golden Ret-REAVER. Axehund (tagline: Their ankles were only the beginning!)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They changed the address as well. And the neighbors get pissed at anyone driving slowly down the block.

They've also had to deal with souvenir hunters and disruption of privacy. There's been significant property damage from people swiping light bulbs, carving out bits of the house along with just taking pics through the windows so I more than understand they're not fond of the drive by looky loos.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always enjoy the Kill Couns on Dead Meat for the history and details of these movies I'll probably never watch. But I remember the Blair Witch phenomenon, how it was the scariest thing ever there for a moment.

But in all the Kill Counts I've seen, I've never heard "and one of the actresses hated it so much she destroyed all her memorabilia and changed her name." I mean, I've heard of successful movies ruining careers (like whoever voiced Jar Jar, apparently) but did not expect that lady from the most famous shot of the film was treated so badly she hates the whole thing.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Noticed that The Wrath of Becky has, unsurprisingly, a lot of 1-star reviews on Google.

lmao
fun movie!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

They've also had to deal with souvenir hunters and disruption of privacy. There's been significant property damage from people swiping light bulbs, carving out bits of the house along with just taking pics through the windows so I more than understand they're not fond of the drive by looky loos.

oh, I 100% get it. Long Island is already a NIMBYish sort of place, and then even if you start out a good sport about people peeping into your murder house after a couple years you’ve gotta be exhausted about it.

I just think it’s sort of darkly funny how it’s a regular bullshit suburban house where a horrible crime happened but the kind of people just asking to be horror movie victims can’t leave well enough alone

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm a little colder on it than I was the further I get away from my first watch of it but the expanding of the Candyman legend and mythos, beautiful camera work, and use of papercraft are all awesome. Some seriously beautiful shots in it and the ending is cool as gently caress.

Pretty much exactly my take. When I left the theater I really loved it. Some of that's probably because it was one of my first movies back in a theater after 2020 and I was riding that high. It's still really good and definitely the 2nd best Candyman movie. It's also the only other Candyman movie that seemed to remember that Candyman isn't the actual ghost of Daniel Robitaille running around, it's an urban legend brought to life through the power of suggestion.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn’t realize things had gotten that bad, I haven’t lived on Long Island in over a decade.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

M_Sinistrari posted:

They should have an imposing wrought iron black fence covered in dead vines installed around the property

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's no room. Every single Amityville movie portrays the house as being on this big piece of property but in reality the houses are close enough together that you can watch your neighbor's television.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yup it’s standard Long Island suburbia. which should be part of what makes it scary—that could be your neighbor!—but lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every single movie leaves that part out and it's bewildering. Part of what was so disturbing at the time was that the neighbors didn't hear a shotgun being fired again and again despite being so close.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm so glad Hellraiser 2 held up on rewatch. God, that movie loving goes places.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Watching it for the first time a few years ago was such a nice surprise. I think a lot of the early asylum stuff is a bit tasteless but when it becomes this awesome dark fantasy with a fantastic set of villains and great use of Kirsty and the Cenobites all set in this beautiful matte painting hell it just gets great. So drat cool and such good atmosphere.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I started watching The Sadness for one of the challenges and drat does this movie go hard

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Deadite posted:

I started watching The Sadness for one of the challenges and drat does this movie go hard

O it goes so much loving harder lol.

I used to live in Taiwan so that whole movie was just gore and blood and murder speckled in with me recognizing something super mundane I kind of miss.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So part VII has a lot of people running through the forest. Like an absurd amount. But there are several times where one character yells at another "Don't go in there!" while they're already in the woods. What the gently caress does that mean?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There's no room. Every single Amityville movie portrays the house as being on this big piece of property but in reality the houses are close enough together that you can watch your neighbor's television.

First time I saw the DeFeo crime scene photos, it surprised me with how close the houses were compared to the Amityville movies or even the suburb I grew up in.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Xiahou Dun posted:

O it goes so much loving harder lol.

I used to live in Taiwan so that whole movie was just gore and blood and murder speckled in with me recognizing something super mundane I kind of miss.

Yeah that one definitely had scenes that made me very uncomfortable which hasn't happened in a long time. Gonna keep an eye on this writer/director for anything he makes in the future.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh no I missed that the first Chucky ep this season came out last week. I need to catch up so I can try to watch the new one tonight live B)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh no I missed that the first Chucky ep this season came out last week. I need to catch up so I can try to watch the new one tonight live B)

It's a pretty good episode, too - mostly ignores all of the dangling threads from the end of last season, so it's almost like a total reset in a way. Still curious how they're gonna resolve all of those elements, or establish how Chucky got into the White House in the first place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t totally remember last season so that’s been holding me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone watch the new Haunted Mansion? Any good?