Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

had not considered this angle previously but some insane Ukraine gambit to try and wrest back the spotlight from Israel could very well materialize in the near future:

https://twitter.com/rybar_force/status/1712086909223080198

And not because Rybar says so (they've been predicting insane Ukrainian offensives into Russia or across the Dnieper for months) but because it is surely in character for the Kyiv regime to do whatever it can to capture the attention of the west.

That would one hundred percent be in character and the fact that they've lost the media spotlight would push whatever they were already working on into overdrive. It was bad enough that they were taking L's and losing public support, they've lost the news cycle now too.

They need a victory and they need one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

That would one hundred percent be in character and the fact that they've lost the media spotlight would push whatever they were already working on into overdrive. It was bad enough that they were taking L's and losing public support, they've lost the news cycle now too.

Nothing would help now, but a week down the line it's do or die

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin is advancing across all lines. Ukraines attempts to be in the news will just be brushed aside.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Throwing reserves into a PR stunt instead of blunting the Russian offensive is some kind of a strategy for sure.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

genericnick posted:

Nothing would help now, but a week down the line it's do or die

Yeah they could make that nuclear power plant go boom this week and it wouldn't make the front page.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Lostconfused posted:

Throwing reserves into a PR stunt instead of blunting the Russian offensive is some kind of a strategy for sure.

Throwing reserves into a PR stunt is Ukraine's entire military strategy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Ukraine really is getting chum change for aids then Russia doesn't even push that hard, just coast along until Ukraine implodes financially.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Phigs posted:

The Ukraine-Russia + Israel-Palestine hypocrisy is just more evidence that it's straight up not worth debating liberals because they clearly have no morals or logic. There's nothing in there. You might as well argue with the TV or phone screen where they got "their" opinion from.

liberals will tell you that this is evidence of their maturity and nuance

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Oct 11, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Ukrainians HAVE been trying all types of stunts across the Black Sea and around Kherson, it is just they usually just get well...slaughtered. It isn't like they haven't been trying, it is just they have made zero headway despite throwing resources into it.

I don't see how any sort of large landing is going to work out considering how many different systems the Russians have in the region. They don't need a fleet to there, they have plenty of planes, missiles, and artillery batteries that could slam any force.

It would explain why they are so passive in the east at this point at least.

-----------

Also, it really sounds like the F-16s will have minimal if any impact in this conflict. The US very well may just let the contracts and funding already allocated just run themselves out and that will be end of it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Oct 11, 2023

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm sure it has to do with whatever tendency or quality makes them so focused on aesthetic above all

The last part of Adorno's "work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction" draws the line clearly and succinctly between Futurism (a strand of the Modern Art movement) and mussolini. If you want to break with the old and bring in the new, and the new to you is "industrial violence is actually Beautiful", then you just are a fascist. Which is the entire point of the essay - aesthetics are fascist, and to be focused on the former is to basically be the latter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aw that’s sad about Al Saqr. I hope they come back in a month

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

aw that’s sad about Al Saqr. I hope they come back in a month

got reduced to a week

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol christ I didn't think they would just literally say it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol christ I didn't think they would just literally say it

Why, what's Ukraine gonna do about it?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tsitsikovas posted:

The last part of Adorno's "work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction" draws the line clearly and succinctly between Futurism (a strand of the Modern Art movement) and mussolini. If you want to break with the old and bring in the new, and the new to you is "industrial violence is actually Beautiful", then you just are a fascist. Which is the entire point of the essay - aesthetics are fascist, and to be focused on the former is to basically be the latter.

I thought that was Walter Benjamin

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

In Training posted:

I thought that was Walter Benjamin

it was. this is obvious antisemitism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

walter benjamin was a beautiful soul and you will not ascribe one iota of credit due him to another. it is sacrielege

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

speng31b posted:

got reduced to a week

He's going to miss a full decade.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lostconfused posted:

Rybar arrows aside

It's still one point along the north south Ukrainian defensive line. It's not field fortifications, but those are urban areas with concrete buildings so they're all still defensive positions.

I don't even remember anyone saying that Marinka was fully cleared out, like the last few buildings on the edge of town were still occupied by Ukrainian forces.

Avdiivka is supposedly very heavily fortified. Here's a quote from a resident.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230320-ukraine-s-other-frontline-fortress-resisting-russian-capture posted:

The town has been on the front line for more than eight years. It's a very serious line of fortification, all concrete, with bunkers," said Ruslan Surnov.

"It's a real fortress. It's better protected than Bakhmut.

"Bakhmut mostly has trenches, here we have bunkers," he noted.

Here is one such bunker.
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internati..._5982448_4.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Russians have lost thousands of vehicles in a day of combat for that town.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

The Biden admin went from 10 billion to 200 million in 72 hours in order to shovel money at Isreal. Even if they pull out a victory, they're hosed

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Regarding Avdiivka, as usual the Ukraine and Russian information spaces are living in completely different worlds and I dunno which one's correct lol.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

spooky, the avdiivka triangle

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nonsense posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmafy_v8g8

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Good news for Ukraine, the Luftwaffe was able to prevent the Russians encircling the brave defenders of the fortress city!

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1712028985700339789#m

Ah man touching grass (reading P/I instead) has really allowed me to see the humor in things again. gently caress me lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

"The Russians have been bombarding our positions for 20 hours non-stop. But that hasn't stopped us from posting!"

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

how likely is Ukraine to collapse?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

PawParole posted:

I do not expect Ukraine to collapse anytime soon unless the situation is much worse than what we are told even if you only take Russia's side of news.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I assume the war ended cuz nobody cares.

Has there been any major advances or are the lines still frozen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I assume the war ended cuz nobody cares.

Has there been any major advances or are the lines still frozen.

Both sides are agreeing there's heavy fighting at Avdiivka. The Russians are claiming they've made a breakthrough north of the town and a partial encirclement while the Ukranians are saying they repelled everything and inflicted heavy losses. Standard stuff, we won't know what's actually happening for a couple days.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

PawParole posted:

right now, the world bank, with the US bring its biggest contributor, is quite literally keeping the lights on for their civil society by paying for pensions and even teacher’s salaries.

they recently said they need to start exploring restructuring their debt of 20billion usd. that’s concerning because even though much of their interest on debt payments have been deferred until 2027, bondholders might start taking their money out of the country, or cashing in, which would severely depress their currency - this is known as capital flight and crashes foreign economies because they lose USD reserves, which they have to somehow keep get other ways or else their currency drops.

they could also risk high inflation if they have to start dumping their currency in markets to convert it to USD to pay back the debts, or more likely, take on the bill for civil society again. a bunch of angry teachers that haven’t been paid isn’t great for morale, so ukraine probably will be forced to make really tough choices due to the massive amount of loans they have taken on.

Zelensky knows this, and not being the top priority for American lawmakers will have huge domino effects for his country

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He should have pressed Boris Johnson for some sort of written guarantee before throwing his country on the pyre.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nothus posted:

The Biden admin went from 10 billion to 200 million in 72 hours in order to shovel money at Isreal. Even if they pull out a victory, they're hosed

What if they hustle 50x harder?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

dk2m posted:

right now, the world bank, with the US bring its biggest contributor, is quite literally keeping the lights on for their civil society by paying for pensions and even teacher’s salaries.

they recently said they need to start exploring restructuring their debt of 20billion usd. that’s concerning because even though much of their interest on debt payments have been deferred until 2027, bondholders might start taking their money out of the country, or cashing in, which would severely depress their currency - this is known as capital flight and crashes foreign economies because they lose USD reserves, which they have to somehow keep get other ways or else their currency drops.

they could also risk high inflation if they have to start dumping their currency in markets to convert it to USD to pay back the debts, or more likely, take on the bill for civil society again. a bunch of angry teachers that haven’t been paid isn’t great for morale, so ukraine probably will be forced to make really tough choices due to the massive amount of loans they have taken on.

Zelensky knows this, and not being the top priority for American lawmakers will have huge domino effects for his country

oh, is this the doctrine part i've heard so much about?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kiev will have to burn down what's left of the country to find enough money for the budget. Things like squeezing whatever they have out of municipal governments, trying to get something out of the national bank.

Anyway, US needs to front the 20 billion for next year or things are going to get a lot worse for everyone.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

"The Russians have been bombarding our positions for 20 hours non-stop. But that hasn't stopped us from posting!"

very on brand for the luftwaffe being unable to protect their forces

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
That 60 minutes interview showed that we are paying for other pillars of Kyiv society, like covering the full salaries of a showroom-only bespoke shawl shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

crazy to think that within a century the usa has gone from being able to outbuild everyone and dominate WW2 across two theatres, and now is struggling to maintain two regional wars

You gotta admit, it's pretty hilarious that zman is fighting a war against the Russian military, getting 10's of thousands of shells lobbed at his forces every day in just absolutely brutal attritional modern warfare...and apparently the same level of support is needed for the IDF to deal with 1000 dudes with AKs flying lawnmowers. Holy poo poo I'd invade Israel myself if I was him lmao

Also I'm sure all the slava boys with ancient hindu symbol patches must be, just, absolutely thrilled at the fact that they are getting rugpulled because a bunch of Jews got completely owned by like one batallion of dudes on motorcycles and paragliders with no heavy weapons and zero artillery or air support. Just lol