Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

op i know the 7th guest real well and they are not a freak, probably. be chill a moment

disgaea 4 is the best one as a full package and has my favorite cast of the series. some people like d5 for being the most "feature complete" of the sprite games but nobody likes the writing and id rather play the one with a likable cast

This pleases me because Disgaea 4 seems to be the one with the shithead little vampire character and I like his vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
valv isn't a shithead he's pure of heart

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The 7th Guest posted:

fair enough but it wasn't meant as a positive description!!!

its a set of words i don't want to read because it makes my brain feel gross >.<

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

valv isn't a shithead he's pure of heart

I meant it in the best way, like how my cat is a shithead, but I love her

I will try 4, thank you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

its a set of words i don't want to read because it makes my brain feel gross >.<
yea in the future i'll just say skeevy i guess. there's much worse in there. but that's why i tried to focus mostly on the fun portraits like the undernauts and NG characters. also there's characters i don't recognize but I assume they're from Experience's other games (Stranger of Sword City and whatnot)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Disgaea is cool but I hate that it's a Single player game without swappable sprites. Can't believe the number one grinding unit is some ugly old man

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Future Video GamesUK posted:

I own Disgaea PC, Disgaea 4 Complete +, and Disgaea 5. Which should I play?
If you're gonna play Disgaea 1 at all play it first, it's missing a lot of quality of life stuff from later in series. Plot's one of the better ones, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Disgaea is a franchise I've enjoyed every one I've tried but they're not the best but i think fans of them have told me every single one of them is the bad one and I shouldn't play it. I know I've seen it itt for 1 3 4 and 5 at least.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Oxxidation posted:

the sequel wasn’t good

honestly remarkable in how it missed everything that made the first fun in spite of it's short comings

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everytime i try an experience drpg i am like "wow this has some cool ideas!" but then like 3 hours in i am bored with them and once again am saying that labyrinth of touhou is the best drpg

maybe this new game i will feel differently about

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

'loli bodies'
(…)
I own Disgaea PC, Disgaea 4 Complete +, and Disgaea 5

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
stop it!1
:'(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
disgaea 4's cast is fine

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

everytime i try an experience drpg i am like "wow this has some cool ideas!" but then like 3 hours in i am bored with them and once again am saying that labyrinth of touhou is the best drpg

it's very grind heavy so you probably wouldn't feel differently

although i am playing on the hardest difficulty which keeps the level cap really low on each dungeon

i think it's probably Experience's weakest DRPG since the Operation games (Abyss/Babel)

the dungeons are only one floor and it's just that enemies hit really hard but it's all fixed enemy spawns. so you clear out the dungeon and probably didn't level up or your equipment didn't level up enough or you didn't acquire enough skill points. so you just warp back to town, then warp back into the dungeon, and keep clearing it out over and over until you're built up enough to fight the boss

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Snooze Cruise posted:

drpgs are good if you have imagination and you imagine your team members kissing

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Jeez so am I but I don't think I woulda said 'loli bodies', ew

e: wait I came to the thread with an actual question

I own Disgaea PC, Disgaea 4 Complete +, and Disgaea 5. Which should I play?

4 and 5 are considered high spots in the franchise. 6 is b a d and the newly released 7 is a return to form. Valvatorez (D4) is one of the best protagonists in the franchise

D3 is stuck in PS3 jail

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Disgaea 4 ftw

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what's the cheapest you can get d7 for

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Check cheapshark

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gyoru posted:

D3 is stuck in PS3 jail

Vita jail too, though both versions might emulate fine now

Also D4 would have been good if anyone other than Valv and Vulcanus got any sort of character growth, but instead Fuuka never grows out of the MY DREAM stuff and that's annoying, for example. I was pretty pleasantly surprised that 5 avoided this somewhat and even loving Red Magnus had a little journey

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fuka's entire point is she doesn't get any character growth. thats like the entire bit of her character

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Disgaea 1 has always been my personal favorite due to a mixture of nostalgia and having the sensibilities of an old man. Mechanically, I’d say 2 and 5 are the best of the series, while 1, 3, and 4 had my favorite stories. If you’re just looking for a mindless powerscaling game though, 4 is probably the best in that regard.

Emizel was my personal favorite character from 4. Broadly his arc isn’t all that different from Laharl or especially Rozalin, but I’ve always had a soft spot for little shits legitimately growing as people and I think his interactions with Valvatorez are great.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 11, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hubris.height posted:

what's the cheapest you can get d7 for

Per isthereanydeal.com, there isn't currently any sale anywhere. I bet it'll be like $40 during the steam winter sale later this year

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

fuka's entire point is she doesn't get any character growth. thats like the entire bit of her character

Yeah but it sucks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't think I ever did the Fuuka and Desco show actually

Also I cannot loving believe if you want Desco in 7 you have to taint your game with Mao and Axel, that's some bs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Axel is win.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Disgaea is cool but I hate that it's a Single player game without swappable sprites. Can't believe the number one grinding unit is some ugly old man
there is nothing stopping you from fielding 10 archers with assorted weaponry if you prefer that to old man

Personally i try not to double up on classes so every characters capabilities are recognizable at a glance

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Countblanc posted:

Per isthereanydeal.com, there isn't currently any sale anywhere. I bet it'll be like $40 during the steam winter sale later this year

merci

also gently caress axel

Tired Moritz posted:

drpgs are good if you have imagination and you imagine your team members kissing

dungeon encounters seems like a good drpg i would like and should like but it is really barebones and i bounced off it when it came out

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hubris.height posted:

merci

also gently caress axel

dungeon encounters seems like a good drpg i would like and should like but it is really barebones and i bounced off it when it came out

Gonna hit this post with a Love Dynamite

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just play some loving games

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Currently in mission 11 in FM2 and really the only that annoys me is how pilot exp is distributed and you dont get exp in the arena. My missile users are really underleveled while my two short range pilots are tearing enemies limb by limb with machine guns. However even they can run out of ammo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

um what the gently caress

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

WaltherFeng posted:

Currently in mission 11 in FM2 and really the only that annoys me is how pilot exp is distributed and you dont get exp in the arena. My missile users are really underleveled while my two short range pilots are tearing enemies limb by limb with machine guns. However even they can run out of ammo.

Item backpacks are cheap, relatively light, and can hold ammo reloads. (They don't even have to be on the machine gunners!)

IMO Long is more for support in this game, and uncounterable. Melee or Short is where the damage is at. You can get Long XP fast with grenades against groups, though. In the PSX version you could even catch your own side in it and that damage counted toward XP (but not Honour if you actually broke a part); I don't know if that still works since I haven't checked.

Edit: The pilots who are not specialized in Long will always really struggle with it, though, in a way that isn't true for non/Melee or Short pilots pulling out a gun or knuckles. The Long pilots are Lisa, Joyce, Roswell, and Pike (spoilered because I can't remember what stage he joins on).

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 12, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Meowywitch posted:

Name one

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://store.aksysgames.com/products/mon-yu

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been considering picking up Undernauts again...IDK though...I think I need my DRPGs to have more buttons for me to hit. The stuff each class got was so simplistic I lost interest fast. Loved the aesthetic and stuff though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
axel's like one of the only characters in disgaea 2 who gets significant main plot focus so he's one of the only ones i cared about