Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Tonetta posted:

okay well if the choice is +30% on critical and +30% on close with a barb, the +30% on critical is only good for ~18% overall if your crit rate is 50%, and therefore worse

have to revisit this because I didn't realize they were going to let the bucket "fill up" to that 20% vuln 50% crit mark. guess it means that you hit those numbers and then excess does as I previously described. I just.... why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
so that crit and vuln aren’t mandatory and so that it can be done by changing numbers rather than whole underlying systems which would take longer than just a season.

i mean the other issue, which i’m not sure they’ve seen, is that like close dmg % can roll much more (say 20% higher max) than just phy dmg % or whatever. so instead of crit/vuln, it might just wind up being close/core or whatever

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I undestand why they made A change, what I don't understand is why they made it as convoluted and confusing as they can while justifying it as the players that didn't understand the mechanic before would have a better time

the one thing this game has over the arpg's is the toddler level understanding of the mechanics, making it easy for anybody to just play it without really thinking

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stacking one affix was easy. Now having to wonder whether I’ve maxed out three different buckets instead is a really dumb change.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Tonetta posted:

have to revisit this because I didn't realize they were going to let the bucket "fill up" to that 20% vuln 50% crit mark. guess it means that you hit those numbers and then excess does as I previously described. I just.... why?

The patch notes say eg "critical strikes always deal x50% damage" so no I don't think there will be a need to 'fill up' that amount. Every gear/paragon crit damage stat is a conditional additive bonus on top of that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

one of the devs posted a breakdown of it but Twitter is so loving bad now I can't find it again

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

dyzzy posted:

The patch notes say eg "critical strikes always deal x50% damage" so no I don't think there will be a need to 'fill up' that amount. Every gear/paragon crit damage stat is a conditional additive bonus on top of that

the words they said while that screen was up suggested differently, that they will deal "up to" that much and that you have to fill that bucket up. either the notes got it wrong or the lead devs don't understand how their own game functions.

timestamped for the relevant material. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNDN2Ql_x0E&t=3763s

the imagery in question -

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

With everything in the additive bucket vuln probably stays the best for skill choice lol

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Tonetta posted:

the words they said while that screen was up suggested differently, that they will deal "up to" that much and that you have to fill that bucket up. either the notes got it wrong or the lead devs don't understand how their own game functions.

timestamped for the relevant material. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNDN2Ql_x0E&t=3763s

the imagery in question -

I got to the part where he goes into the numbers for each bucket. Roughly 1:04. The only bucket that gets the 'up to' qualifier is overpower, because that has always been a function of your hp.

His explanation of the bar chart is also in line with this. 150 crit damage 200 vuln damage is what you have on your gear, that is that. It's not because you got 200 crit on your gear and 50 of that got sucked up into the multiplicative bonus, which btw I agree would be incredibly dumb

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 11, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What the gently caress is going on here?

I understand the ”Barf Damage caps at 66%” concept just fine, but, 150% is also 50%, 20% is also 200%, and with their powers combined I am captain 80%? What?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Bisse posted:

I understand the ”Barf Damage caps at 66%” concept just fine, but, 150% is also 50%, 20% is also 200%, and with their powers combined I am captain 80%? What?

the two play into one another (they never didn't)

50 x 20% = 10%
50% + 20% +10% = 80%

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bisse posted:

I understand ”Barf Damage caps at 66%” just fine, but, 150% is also 50%, 20% is also 200%, and with their powers combined I am captain 80%? What?

The graph's a trash fire but it's trying to show that the base crit multiplier and base vulnerability are multiplicative with each other (1.2 * 1.5 = 1.8) but completely separate from the additive crit damage and vuln damage mods

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I feel like 4 different posters in a row having 4 different takeaways from what's actually going on in that one image goes to show exactly what I was saying

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah it's a bad chart. I hosed up in my last post, the stats are for a character who has +100 crit damage and +180 vuln damage from their gear/tree.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You know what, I like Elden Ring and Lies of loving P, where there is a number and it goes up and it does the thing it says on the box, and you can check the stat screen to see the exact damage reduction, and also in LoP some weapons have a crit %. Like, never ever did I have to double-take what a stat does, or do brain excel sheets to figure out which thing is better. And in those games, I felt a lot clearer what decisions I am making and it was fun to find new gear combos for certain challenges.

I also like D2, where you got gear and it had numbers and the numbers did the things.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 11, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do I actually have to know this poo poo for any reason? I understand why we are deep-diving to see how an all-else-equal Season 1 and Season 2 build would compare, but like.. isn't the actual in-game outcome that it's a lot simpler?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah it's simpler because you can treat the crit and vuln stats the same as you would something like damage vs. close.

Breaking down my interpretation vs. what I think Tonetta means:

You have a chat with 100 crit damage and 180 vuln damage on their gear (to match the slide). So say this char hits for 100 damage, no other modifiers. On a crit vs. vuln enemy, this becomes

Season 1:
100 x (1+(50 + 100)/100) [crit] x (1+(20+180)/100) [vuln]

750 damage

Season 2 (my take)

100 x (1+(100+180)/100) [combined crit/vuln on gear] x (1.5) [crit] x (1.2) [vuln]

504 damage

Season 2 (Tonetta)

100 x (1+(50+160)/100) [overflow of crit/vuln] x (1.5) x (1.2)

378 damage

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do I actually have to know this poo poo for any reason? I understand why we are deep-diving to see how an all-else-equal Season 1 and Season 2 build would compare, but like.. isn't the actual in-game outcome that it's a lot simpler?

Well you can for sure just equip some things and click some demons, but eventually you might wonder why your build is over/under-performing or how some other player did so much damage, and to find out you’ll need to go down this caps-n-buckets rabbit hole. I sure hope this is explained clearly in game, otherwise have fun asking on discord and scouring fan wikis for answers.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 11, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bisse posted:

Well you can for sure just equip some things and click some demons, but eventually you might wonder why your build is over/under-performing or how some other player did so much damage, and to find out you’ll need to go down this caps-n-buckets rabbit hole. I sure hope this is explained clearly in game, otherwise have fun asking on discord and scouring fan wikis for answers.

Even if this stupid buckets thing is described in game, no one besides goons are going to understand it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Yeah it's simpler because you can treat the crit and vuln stats the same as you would something like damage vs. close.

Breaking down my interpretation vs. what I think Tonetta means:

You have a chat with 100 crit damage and 180 vuln damage on their gear (to match the slide). So say this char hits for 100 damage, no other modifiers. On a crit vs. vuln enemy, this becomes

Season 1:
100 x (1+(50 + 100)/100) [crit] x (1+(20+180)/100) [vuln]

750 damage

Season 2 (my take)

100 x (1+(100+180)/100) [combined crit/vuln on gear] x (1.5) [crit] x (1.2) [vuln]

504 damage

Season 2 (Tonetta)

100 x (1+(50+160)/100) [overflow of crit/vuln] x (1.5) x (1.2)

378 damage

my eyes glazed over

dont understand

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
All stats are good.

If you stack crit/vuln it'll hit diminishing returns. They're still good until the point of excess.

If all else fails get an even mix of stats and then fill a bucket like +your favorite build-centric damage type and associated(close if melee, distant if not), etc.

I get wanting to know the exact math because nerds but gamer dads you will not have to think in season 2 until you open the blood power menu.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The patch notes don't say you fill up the bucket, just that crits are 1.5 and vuln is 1.2. Crit damage and vuln damage stats are just additive with the rest of the poo poo (except in lower values and with more onerous conditions)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the exact numbers don't matter that much to me, it's the part where the patch notes say one thing, the devs say another, and the slide up while the devs were talking say a variation of the second thing, and there's no indication on any of this being listed clearly in the actual game for the people who aren't freaks who watch 2 hour dev streams or read 50 pages of patch notes for a game they'll play like 30 hours over 3 months

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The buckets are just math word problems they are asking the players to solve as a part of their Diablo experience. It's like asking someone's name and they answer in the form of a riddle.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

To me, it doesn't really matter whether I'm looking for crit and vuln or not on gear, I am a bit apprehensive about not being able to simply disregard gear which could roll vuln and crit damage and didn't when poring through the inventory though, it will add a considerable amount of time to looking at your inventory (particularly comparing to 5/5 upgraded items)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Vic posted:

It's like asking someone's name and they answer in the form of a riddle.

Ah, Al'Diabolos.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

flashman posted:

To me, it doesn't really matter whether I'm looking for crit and vuln or not on gear, I am a bit apprehensive about not being able to simply disregard gear which could roll vuln and crit damage and didn't when poring through the inventory though, it will add a considerable amount of time to looking at your inventory (particularly comparing to 5/5 upgraded items)

as much as it sucks that the time will increase per piece, they did cut back on what you're even seeing drop fairly dramatically (autosalvage on lower tier gear) and that was always going to happen when they added more variety to what you could actually choose to wear. this can be solved with an actual loot filter, which will eventually come (probably a paid expansion lmao)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doomykins posted:

All stats are good.

If you stack crit/vuln it'll hit diminishing returns. They're still good until the point of excess.

If all else fails get an even mix of stats and then fill a bucket like +your favorite build-centric damage type and associated(close if melee, distant if not), etc.

I get wanting to know the exact math because nerds but gamer dads you will not have to think in season 2 until you open the blood power menu.

Yeah this is what I'm getting at. I don't need to solve for N so who cares if that's a long equation. The in game practice is intuitive and simple....

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I feel like crit damage is going to be useless until you hit a certain crit chance. Does this sound right?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah likewise with vulnerable/overpower

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

finally found it on the trash site

https://twitter.com/TinMan354/status/1712111383469519293?t=6qt5ywI_KTHYSgBCnkCKEw&s=19

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

thanks for that. so it is just what I originally said here, then

Tonetta posted:

okay well if the choice is +30% on critical and +30% on close with a barb, the +30% on critical is only good for ~18% overall if your crit rate is 50%, and therefore worse

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah even with a 20% bump in values that's not a hard choice. Maybe some classes can easily get high crit but seems pretty hard to justify

But why ~18. Half of 30 is just 15

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bisse posted:

You know what, I like Elden Ring and Lies of loving P, where there is a number and it goes up and it does the thing it says on the box, and you can check the stat screen to see the exact damage reduction, and also in LoP some weapons have a crit %. Like, never ever did I have to double-take what a stat does, or do brain excel sheets to figure out which thing is better. And in those games, I felt a lot clearer what decisions I am making and it was fun to find new gear combos for certain challenges.

I also like D2, where you got gear and it had numbers and the numbers did the things.

oh sick i rolled a 34% FCR spirit shield, that’s only 1% away from max, i wonder how much faster ill cast now. only +300 damage on this runeword? no thanks, ill grab this %200 ED yellow instead, that’s a lot better

e: pretend i also did the above annoying thing for -resist, attack speed breakpoints (up to and including getting it so high you no longer do any dps because you can’t attack), revive stupidity, gear quality increasing on summons with +skills, light radius, move speed penalties, probably more i can’t immediately recall

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 11, 2023

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
lol D2 may not be the best example

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i think the number changes in d4 are, barring any barber like outliers, going to mean you can basically follow the green numbers and just equip bigger green number

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Yeah even with a 20% bump in values that's not a hard choice. Maybe some classes can easily get high crit but seems pretty hard to justify

But why ~18. Half of 30 is just 15

it's +50% multi on actual critical, meaning that the 30% from close is 45% on critical, and 30% on noncrit.

30% on critical is actually 45% on the critical after multi, but 0% on non crits.

~18 is not quite right, it's a bit lower and was just spitballing the math in a split second, but it equates to roughly a 35% loss because the close damage loses the ~50% bonus from noncrits.

e I did vuln on accident. fixed

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hm I see what you mean. I guess it's easier in my head to evaluate without thinking about the final result

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Bisse posted:

Except, of course, when they sometimes don't. Faster Cast Rate, Hit Recovery, and Block Rate, as well as Increased Attack Speed can do absolutely nothing if they don't cause you to reach a new frame breakpoint.

You might say that stats being weird and misleading is tradition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bio347 posted:

Increased Attack Speed can do absolutely nothing if they don't cause you to reach a new frame breakpoint.
... this is a thing in D4?