Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

It’s frankly astonishing that the gas generators in airbags don’t come with an expiration date.
This is shockingly common with shockingly common pyrotechnic compounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
my bluesky feed today is nothing but israel/palestine and people arguing whether it's disrespectful to ride a bicycle in a cemetery. the cemetery employee that started the discourse says it's disrespectful to mourners to do anything but drive a car or walk in a cemetery. i don't understand that at all, seems like a car is louder and more disruptive than a bicyclist

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

fermun posted:

my bluesky feed today is nothing but israel/palestine and people arguing whether it's disrespectful to ride a bicycle in a cemetery. the cemetery employee that started the discourse says it's disrespectful to mourners to do anything but drive a car or walk in a cemetery. i don't understand that at all, seems like a car is louder and more disruptive than a bicyclist

Cars are good for business

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

evil_bunnY posted:

No doubt, but pulling out the airbag beats getting firing-squaded by your own steering wheel.

airbags don't become unstable or dangerous from time, the recall was over mechanical flaws. afaik the charges in airbags are stable and don't degrade much.

the explosive parts are in an airtight sealed compartment, the only thing that goes with time is the wiring from corrosion/brittle plastic (the airbag warning in cars is for the firing circuit being functional, that's the only thing it's checking) and the airbag fabric itself getting old & brittle

the powder they coat it in to not tear your skin apart can get caked but even then it'll still work fine it might just rugburn u bad.
there's probably a point where the fabric pops before inflating enough to stop a person like i wouldn't wanna trust 30yr old airbags on a car that's been roasting in the desert but i would still assume they'd function

ps don't mess with airbags unless you have the right tools and know what you're doing. as an individual component they're the most dangerous thing in a car - ones without any problems are still really dangerous and can kill/injure you by being triggered with anything in between you and them, screwdrivers etc. & the bag casing can punch in your skull and instakill you no country for old men-style from the force of impact, if it's what ends up moving instead of the bag (if loose, partly in, etc)

if it doesn't have something holding it to push off of, it just launches the entire solid end of the casing with the balloon like a cannon
you can trigger the airbag in some designs by shorting across two wires with a screwdriver on accident and stuff like that - it's basically a safety grenade

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i just wanna say i like the timer on this thread. it reminds me to practice the kind of patience that drivers so often lack.

I think it's unfair that none of the car threads have post speed limiters while we safely post in a car alternative thread and are told we're "too fast"

mystes
May 31, 2006

FirstnameLastname posted:

airbags don't become unstable or dangerous from time, the recall was over mechanical flaws. afaik the charges in airbags are stable and don't degrade much.

the explosive parts are in an airtight sealed compartment, the only thing that goes with time is the wiring from corrosion/brittle plastic (the airbag warning in cars is for the firing circuit being functional, that's the only thing it's checking) and the airbag fabric itself getting old & brittle
Everything I've heard about the takata recall said it was because of degradation of the propellant

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao we got a takata truther

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Groda posted:

This is shockingly common with shockingly common pyrotechnic compounds.

the conclusion of the CSB report on a fireworks disposal disaster was basically “no law or regulation or official guidance was violated because none exist for the safe disposal of fireworks. our recommendation is to write some”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bicycles r the best ev conversion
cars aren't tho, need to make it that from the start

I did an electric conversion for my Brompton, and now I have a folding bike that shrinks down to backpack sized and can carry like uh... 10kg (officially, realistically more) on the front bracket and another 20-30 kg on the back rack if you get some small panniers to avoid heel strike. I can even ride it for like 30-40 miles on a charge, though the conversion has a somewhat limited battery compared to regular non-folding e-bike.

It's pretty neat.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
bikes are great except for all the cars. Also the wind

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mystes posted:

Everything I've heard about the takata recall said it was because of degradation of the propellant

iirc it was from being improperly sealed during manufacturing which allowed moisture in aswell as stuff that was damaged/broken during production/installation from bad practices but not the propellant itself
i haven't read about it in years tho, it looks like it's still going strong
e: oh lol theyve continued to gently caress things up even worse than when it first happened, there's been a recall like every year since 2014 up to this year, kinda impressive

its a whole mix of fuckups, faked testing data, they used ammonium nitrate as the propellant without a dessicant, assembled in non-climate controlled facilities with too high humidity, and then they also lied about how much trouble they had with it claiming all the problems were from moisture and none from the ammonium nitrate itself or how they were packaging it that's prolly why i thought that

also flaws in welds and bad-QA stuff like that, contracting different random outside manufacturers and frankensteining things together, no other airbag manuf. used ammonium nitrate because it's too sketchy if you can't keep it dry & cool but they just kept lying saying it's fine jfc

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A guy on an electric skateboard kept pace with me on my bike today I couldn't believe it. When I tried to compliment him he couldn't hear me because all the youths wear air pods 24/7

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

The Failing New York Times posted:

After his shift at his limo company ended one night this year, Arben Elezi called his wife to tell her he would be home as soon as he found a parking spot. Hours later, she called him, frantic — he was still not back. He told her to look out the window of their Upper West Side apartment.

Mr. Elezi had searched fruitlessly for a spot for so many hours that he had fallen asleep, double parked, out front.

“It is a daily struggle to find parking,” Mr. Elezi said on a recent morning as he guarded his 2002 Mercedes against parking tickets during alternate side parking hours on Riverside Drive. “It takes away a lot of the quality of life.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/09/nyregion/nyc-parking-cars.html

lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

iirc it was from being improperly sealed during manufacturing which allowed moisture in aswell as stuff that was damaged/broken during production/installation from bad practices but not the propellant itself
e: oh lol theyve continued to gently caress things up even worse than when it first happened, there's been a recall like every year since 2014 up to this year, kinda impressive

its a whole mix of fuckups, faked testing data, they used ammonium nitrate as the propellant without a dessicant, assembled in non-climate controlled facilities with too high humidity, and then they also lied about how much trouble they had with it claiming all the problems were from moisture and none from the ammonium nitrate itself or how they were packaging it that's prolly why i thought that

also flaws in welds and bad-QA stuff like that, contracting different random outside manufacturers and frankensteining things together, no other airbag manuf. used ammonium nitrate because it's too sketchy if you can't keep it dry & cool but they just kept lying saying it's fine jfc

They saved a lot of money that got turned into shareholder value for the good years though, so who's to say what's good and what's bad?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"Why not take transit, or walk? Because babies, because strollers, because luggage, because stairs (bad knees, bad lungs, bad heart), because communicable diseases, because muggings, stabbings, being pushed onto tracks. Because tardiness (irking bosses & doctors). Because ice. Because waiting in the wind/rain in bitter cold and blazing heat. For example."

there was also a comment giving a reason of "to go to my second home in CT" haha

if you can afford a second home you can afford to pay for a garage spot in NYC

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Oct 12, 2023

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

shockingly, the comment section is pretty good. since this is the nyt i was expecting nothing but cranky rich olds who got used to driving everywhere in the 70s - 90s

quote:

There is no shortage of parking anywhere in the city, there is only a shortage of subsidized parking. Essentially the minority of relatively wealthy drivers want the majority of transit taking non-drivers to pay for their parking.

The absolute worst thing one can do with public space is to turn it into a parking lot, yet this madness prevails and greatly diminishes our city.

Drivers are always pursuing the fantasy of a car oriented utopia of endless free parking and endless traffic-free road-space, but the ONLY way to achieve this is by destroying the city. Tulsa was once a dense, pleasant, walkable city but it was bulldozed into oblivion for the car. Look at a satellite image and you will see that it is now a car dependent wasteland of endless parking lots and urban freeways.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
man I have taken my kids on the bus all the time lol. I took my first to all her midwife appointments from like 10 days old up to 6 weeks in a baby carrier. Now I have two kids and frequently take one in a stroller and the 4 year old just sits in the seats.

these people are the most pampered coddled people on the loving planet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A zipcar subscription is kind of ideal for city dwellers as long as they have enough points to pick them up and shuffle around the cars as needed so the spots have ones available and enough places to end your journey.

If you need a car like... a few times a month it's cheaper than buying one and having to keep insurance and they take up way less parking since one car can serve dozens of people and doesn't sit idle for 22+ hours a day.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nitrousoxide posted:

A zipcar subscription is kind of ideal for city dwellers as long as they have enough points to pick them up and shuffle around the cars as needed so the spots have ones available and enough places to end your journey.

If you need a car like... a few times a month it's cheaper than buying one and having to keep insurance and they take up way less parking since one car can serve dozens of people and doesn't sit idle for 22+ hours a day.

zipcar is really really bad. fdb had a pretty good anecdote that matches most people i know who thought that zipcar would be good but just have awful experiences https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/zipcar-sucks-and-so-does-app-world

like it's a "good idea" in theory, but not in practice and especially not as a giggified fartapp. you're better off renting from enterprise for a day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
thoughts?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

get a car

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks for reminding me of the Jeep-branded bike that was the first "good" adult-sized bike my parents got at Kmart in the mid-90s.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Montague should have been as big as Brompton by now, but it was located in the wrong country.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fermun posted:

as a mourner i say it's fine

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We have unhealthy attitudes toward death these days. Our ancestors were not so stupid. Cemeteries were at one time designed for recreation. Now we expect only sterile misery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_cemetery

We have a huge and beautiful rural cemetery here that was obviously designed for people to visit, but the board of trustees lost sight of this at some point and hired a caretaker that would literally chase everyone out if they didn't have a plot there. Luckily they've relaxed over time and now you can ride your bike through the property and enjoy it. The city has also put a multi-use path through part of it. It's one of our nicest public parks now.

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Oct 12, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We have unhealthy attitudes toward death these days. Our ancestors were not so stupid. Cemeteries were at one time designed for recreation. Now we expect only sterile misery.

All Saints/All Souls Day rocks because you go to a cemetery with the fam and you bring a ton of food and it's a big reunion with everyone

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

I am perplexed by this setup with a disc brake in front and a rim brake in the back

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We have a huge and beautiful rural cemetery here that was obviously designed for people to visit, but the board of trustees lost sight of this at some point and hired a caretaker that would literally chase everyone out if they didn't have a plot there. Luckily they've relaxed over time and now you can ride your bike through the property and enjoy it. The city has also put a multi-use path through part of it. It's one of our nicest public parks now.

One of the most popular parks in Copenhagen is a cemetery, it's great. Not only because it has nice trees and it's fun to look at old gravestones (there's one that says essentially "THANK GOD", which I find very funny), but also I get to think about my friend who's buried there whenever i visit the park.

Edit: i approve of the Hummer company pivoting to bikes.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BonHair posted:

One of the most popular parks in Copenhagen is a cemetery, it's great. Not only because it has nice trees and it's fun to look at old gravestones (there's one that says essentially "THANK GOD", which I find very funny), but also I get to think about my friend who's buried there whenever i visit the park.

if the point of a cemetery isn't so someone 200 years in the future can look at your headstone and lol what is the point

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

zero knowledge posted:

I am perplexed by this setup with a disc brake in front and a rim brake in the back
speaking of stupid brakes, love my new bike but i really miss the coaster brake. it's so much comfier, i wish they were more popular

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Truga posted:

speaking of stupid brakes, love my new bike but i really miss the coaster brake. it's so much comfier, i wish they were more popular

Give it a few weeks, you won't even miss it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

zero knowledge posted:

Best of both worlds.

edit: Also worst of both worlds.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sometimes we go to the cemetary and eat dinner there. It's one of the things I'll miss once we move to Germany, the ones there don't welcome you sitting about, don't let you ride your bike around and don't allow dogs. :(

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

BonHair posted:

Give it like a single pedestrian changing direction and jumping in front of them like a toddler and they should appreciate a front brake.

Edit: There's a beautiful private cemetery in my town that says on the website you can walk or drive around. I'm curious now if they'll let me visit with my bike. John Wilkes Booth is buried there in an unmarked grave and there are some Bonaparte relatives too

Mauser has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Oct 12, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mauser posted:

Give it like a single pedestrian changing direction and jumping in front of them like a toddler and they should appreciate a front brake.

loving squirrels, I would really like to know if statistically a squirrel that freezes in front of you is more likely to dart back towards where it came from or continue across the road / path.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

man shareholder value is a hell of a drug lol

Xaris posted:

like it's a "good idea" in theory, but not in practice and especially not as a giggified fartapp. you're better off renting from enterprise for a day
the couple times a year we legit need a car we just get a nice one from sixt or whatever.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i did my first run commute with my dog today. the MUP crosses roads multiple times, and i entered the crosswalk when a woman driving in the right turn lane was slowly approaching the stop sign figuring she would stop. nope, she almost slow rolled into us until i yelled at her, and then she waved back at me. i feel like i am the "pay attention" fairy giving all these idiot drivers a fright when i'm biking or running, but so many close call encounters seem like bad odds for me.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

withak posted:

Best of both worlds.

edit: Also worst of both worlds.

better than the other way around since all the braking power is in front anyway. I’m gonna guess they swapped out the fork for one strong enough for disc, but of course you can’t retrofit a rim brake rear triangle for disc so this is where you end up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

it's been three years lol

Mauser posted:

i'd never leave home without a front brake, but having the rear one on the pedals is so nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mauser posted:

The pedestrian is the brake in this case.

I remember one time riding into three different pedestrians on one commute, all of whom just turned and walked straight out onto the bike path without looking. I had exactly 0 seconds to react and even if I had braked, like 10 bikes would have crashed into me as a result. I had to adjust the handlebars afterwards too, so it hit at least one of them hard.