Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Twerk from Home posted:

With more and more states making illegal the registration of anything that doesn't conform with FMVSS wouldn't you be unable to register and drive any German market imports?

https://www.theautopian.com/georgia-hammers-down-on-imported-cars-as-it-reminds-officials-to-ban-the-titling-of-japanese-kei-trucks/

No non-US market vehicle will have this sticker. It really looks like 25 year imports in general are done for.

It's extra dumb because a part of importing under the 25 year rule directly defines that the vehicle does not have to confirm to FMVSS as it is exempt, on account of the federal documents you submit for the feds to go "yeah ok" and stamps approval.
Anything imported under the 25 year rule would not have any sticker about US Federal anythings because that's the entire point of the 25 year rule, exemption.

Georgia is dumb as hell and so is Massachusetts. A kei truck is the same as a GTR is the same as a Land Cruiser is the same as a Mercedes M5 wagon, there is zero difference as far as the feds go between them. If it's 25 years and you do the Fed dance then it's good. States can define whatever they want, but to point to the Feds is the part that's stupid. The feds have already approved the vehicle.

Georgia would not bat an eye at a Mercedes or Toyota or whatever. It's kei trucks probably because they are awesome and cheap and reliable and that's scary to dealers that want to sell you a useless 40k F150. Or Polaris to sell you a useless 20k whatever those things are called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

With more and more states making illegal the registration of anything that doesn't conform with FMVSS

In for a penny, in for a pound. Let's use this to get the loving brodozers off the road.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Full Collapse posted:

Is Sixt worth it?

A couple pages late here, but I just had a pretty negative experience with them. Reserved and prepaid for a entry level lux (3 series or similar) from JFK for Thursday-Sunday. I arrive just after midnight, and see I had been upgraded to a 7 series because they ran out of small lux. loving Sweet, no complaints here. They then say "yeah since this is a ultra premium luxury car, we need a $2500 hold on the same CC used to reserve the car", with no exceptions or ability to work with me. Couldn't use debit for hold, couldn't use different card, couldn't use wife's card, couldn't call bank to make payment to make room because it was midnight, nothing. No ability to work with me in any way, but she did have time to do her "Give me 5 stars on the review because I'm worth it" speech. After lots of searching, they found a super base model Toyota Sienna which loving blew and smelled like 70 year old smoker BO, but whatever it was for a wedding and I just ferried the groomsmen around.

When we returned it, yeah similar experience here where the person spent 20 minutes investigating every single blemish, but then ended up charging nothing extra so whatever.
I've heard plenty of good things from SeaTac when people come visit me, but my one experience was at JFK so maybe a lot of it is up to how good your local crew is.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

intheflesh posted:

"we need a $2500 hold on the same CC used to reserve the car",

Good to know. I could see that becoming an issue with using a work credit card depending on how that hit the credit card manifest timing wise, or if there was an issue that needed addressed.
I'm guessing my work would not be cool with a $65 a day reservation coming along with an additional $2500 charge.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

National is the most no-bullshit car rental place I've ever used. They've earned my loyalty.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

Good to know. I could see that becoming an issue with using a work credit card depending on how that hit the credit card manifest timing wise, or if there was an issue that needed addressed.
I'm guessing my work would not be cool with a $65 a day reservation coming along with an additional $2500 charge.

Yeah that hold was the surprise. I was expecting the standard ~$100/day hold but not that much. She kept saying "yeah but this is a BMW sir" like this was the fanciest car fathomable. Like I get that a near 100k car would need a fat deposit, but "complementary" last minute unexpected upgrades shouldn't require more outlay. In the end the overall cost would have been the same but that hold requirement killed me

intheflesh fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 11, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Franco Caution posted:

Normally that's just a hold though so it wouldn't become an actual expense, unless you take off with the car and never return it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's an issue with a low card limit, probably.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

That was my exact thinking. Corporate credit cards have limits, and an unexpected $2500 could mess up some other travel plan items like, hotel, meals, etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

That was my exact thinking. Corporate credit cards have limits, and an unexpected $2500 could mess up some other travel plan items like, hotel, meals, etc.

I can't imagine a corporate card having a limit that low. Mine have usually been in the $50k range. Even if it did, corporate cards always have a 24/7 support number that you can call to get help with that kind of thing. Nobody who travels frequently enough to have a corporate card is juggling a 4 figure credit limit with no way to deal with unexpected holds. If you do, you need to find a new job ASAP.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fedgov individually billed travel cards have a 4k limit by default though your agency can often authorize a higher limit.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, all the Michigan state gov cards are $5k limit due to bureaucratic limits, where $5k is the line that triggers other paperwork. Higher limits exist, but they are the exception.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

A Proper Uppercut posted:

National is the most no-bullshit car rental place I've ever used. They've earned my loyalty.

I love renting from National, but they always seem to be on the more expensive end. National was 2x more expensive than Sixt for our upcoming vacation rental.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My last corporate card had a default limit of 5K, and there was an exception process to get it increased if needed. It's a risk management thing, you don't just hand out 50K limits to everyone with a corporate card in a big corporation.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, you might have a super high limit but the rank and file schmucks that happen to get one aren't being given a card with nearly their annual salary as the limit lol.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Everytime I travel on the company dime I need to get the limit increased on my T&E card. The default is like $2500.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I love renting from National, but they always seem to be on the more expensive end. National was 2x more expensive than Sixt for our upcoming vacation rental.

You're probably right, but I'll pay more for peace of mind that I'm probably not going to get raked over the coals for some damage I did or didn't do or something like that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently now the X2 crossover-coupe thing exists while it didn't when I was at the BMW HQ/museum a few weeks back.

I don't like it so they'll probably sell millions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't tell if the front & rear were better or worse than the previous gen, but at least the previous gen was more squared off in the back :sigh:

edit;

quote:

BMW claims the xDrive28i is 3,803 pounds, the M235i is 3,840

How does it weigh the same as an M2 How does an M2 weigh as much as an X2

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 11, 2023

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Weird. My corporate cards have always been American Express with no limit.

The only real limit being my expense report.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

How does it weigh the same as an M2 How does an M2 weigh as much as an X2

The m2 is a chonker. The previous gen weighs as much as my f80.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's incredibly funny how ugly and bad all bmws are now

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

It's incredibly funny how ugly and bad all bmws are now

I found one where things seem to be proportionate :v:

https://twitter.com/Spottyroo/status/1711848978743210482?t=fV2U4tlMs6TYPlkat5gEwQ&s=19

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I still like the 3/x3 series.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

fknlo posted:

The m2 is a chonker. The previous gen weighs as much as my f80.

The little beamers are weirdly heavy. I love my e82, but the quoted tare weight for my 125i is actually 1kg heavier than a 325i e90.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently now the X2 crossover-coupe thing exists while it didn't when I was at the BMW HQ/museum a few weeks back.

Pity that the press car has been in an accident already. Must not have had another for the photo shoot.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I feel like they did a really bad job of hiding that front sensor in the grill. At first I thought that was a blacked out license plate, but no, its the radar sensor thing. So many brands have done a better job masking or hiding that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mahatma-Squid posted:

The little beamers are weirdly heavy. I love my e82, but the quoted tare weight for my 125i is actually 1kg heavier than a 325i e90.

I think the engineering explained video on the M2 mentioned that the new car is the same as the M3 with a slightly shorter wheelbase so it isn't actually any lighter any more.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like it could be any of the bunch of 2014-2020 SUVs that line up the parking space at my workplace.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks like it could be any of the bunch of 2014-2020 SUVs that line up the parking space at my workplace.
But it's got a tiny lip spoiler! Much sport. Wow.

Compare and contrast with Kia's EV5/4/3 concepts, which are probably reasonably close to production since they follow the EV9 design language mostly.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/10/kia-ev3-ev4-concepts-look-like-the-future-will-soon-be-a-reality/

I don't necessarily love it like the Ioniq5 but at least they look like 2020s future cars.

They're supposed to be cheaper (around $30k starting) so they're dropping the 800v charging. Which is a bummer but may have been necessary to hit the price point.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Franco Caution posted:

I feel like they did a really bad job of hiding that front sensor in the grill. At first I thought that was a blacked out license plate, but no, its the radar sensor thing. So many brands have done a better job masking or hiding that.

I was thinking the same thing but BMW has the branding problem of having the roundel always on the hood while almost everyone else hides the radome in a grill emblem. I assume there must be improved performance by mounting it that high instead of hiding it in the lower grill so I give them a grudging bit of respect for prioritizing function over form. I don't think they'd break up the kidneys without a good reason, especially since they're emphasizing the kidney grills with lighting on future models since they can't illuminate their emblem like almost everyone else will because of the blue area.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Jymmybob posted:

I was thinking the same thing but BMW has the branding problem of having the roundel always on the hood while almost everyone else hides the radome in a grill emblem. I assume there must be improved performance by mounting it that high instead of hiding it in the lower grill so I give them a grudging bit of respect for prioritizing function over form. I don't think they'd break up the kidneys without a good reason, especially since they're emphasizing the kidney grills with lighting on future models since they can't illuminate their emblem like almost everyone else will because of the blue area.

I doubt it has to be center. Could put it inside one kidney and a fake one on the other.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Saukkis posted:

I doubt it has to be center. Could put it inside one kidney and a fake one on the other.

Looks like a bandaid on your kidneys

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Man both these things gently caress

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Saukkis posted:

Makes it much easier by not having to do as much to validate safely/performance/etc and not have to buy multiple sets of tooling and manage double the part numbers for for RHD/LHD if it's always center.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Corvette E Ray review, good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVdGFrVEl-8

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wearing a Nismo hat while filming this; bold

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty impressive Kia and Hundai are churning out better production designs than BMW these days. Genesis has been ok for a while but just solid design direction overall

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

Pretty impressive Kia and Hundai are churning out better production designs than BMW these days. Genesis has been ok for a while but just solid design direction overall

you can't really call concept cars production designs

but yeah bmws design team couldnt find their own rear end with a mirror and a stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

Hyundai heavily headhunted BMW staff, their N line stuff is so good cause they have a lot of Motorrad knowledgeable staffers.