Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed but Im an idiot, and I was thinking of renting something on Turo for the first time.

So now if I were to proceed, the estimated cost ballooned almost 60% and requires almost $1K deposit to boot.
Good poo poo.

How could I be so blind and dumb and think this would be any different from Air B&B, Uber Eats, Door Dash with their add ons and fees?
Back to driving my 1/18 scale C8 back and forth on my desk. Vroom Vroom!

We used Turo to rent a minivan as a wedding party transport... thing.. I forget exactly what the situation was. Short notice and rental/zipcar stock was low that week

After we got approved by the owner of the minivan, en route to pickup they made me SMS text them pictures of my driver's license and some other poo poo. Usually that would be an absolute NO in my book but kind of needed to get to the wedding venue and pick up some groomsmen so what else was I going to do that day. Not a big fan of sending a stranger my ID into their personal phone where they can post that wherever they want

Haven't used Turo since, and seen a lot of bad press about rental "hosts" charging ludicrous, nonnegotiable suprise fees for cleaning/damage repair weeks after the rental unrelated to their actual rental

Unsurprisingly, also not a big fan of AirBnB anymore either, and only use them under duress now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I used turo once, to rent a Mercedes 380 sl that ended up being a huge piece of poo poo lol, I think most people renting it probsbly just wanted it for pictures and it looked decent enough from 20 feet away

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
When I was shopping around for Type-Rs I tried to rent one on Turo and I couldn't find anyone offering one within like 200 miles, possibly nationwide.

I don't blame them. I'd never want to rent out a expensive manual transmission car in America.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 5, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Rented an M2 on Turo a few years back to try out on a trip to LA. Owner/car were cool, but now I realize renting a car on Turo is a bad idea.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I rented an E91 on Turo prior to buying one to make sure I’d like the feel and it was a great experience for me and at the time I thought very affordable. The guy even let me park my motorcycle in his garage for the weekend.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I rented a cayman 718 on turo and the owner was cool and it was not a hassle at all. I even got an early bird discount or something.

We are thinking about new car maybe but every time we talk about it I just get depressed after looking at auto trader. Especially when my shitbox Honda Fit easily has another 60-100k in it and we don’t drive much.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 5, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The concept of Turo and how it sounds like it was a couple of years ago when it first started sounds awesome.
Seeing "fees" between 60-100% of the daily rental price added on later does not.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I bought my first new car in 2019 I thought "I think I'll have this car for 10 years." And now I think I will ride it until the wheels fall off. Which hopefully won't be in 2029. Things are expensive.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't follow the Corvette market, did the C8 push down C7 Z06 prices? How much cheaper than $60k are they now?

Each of us will have an opinion on this, but to me, it never really happened.
The C8 was so hot at launch, which destroyed supply and raised demand, and cost.
Normally when a new Gen comes out, the previous 2 gens owners flock to the new model and there is a poo poo load of used supply to pick from.
When the C7 came out, the C5 and C6 prices tanked and you could get them for a song. Im shooting myself for not picking up a grandsport or Z06 C6 at the time, but I really liked the changes to the interior and seats on the C7, so I held off thinking the C7 would follow suit depreciation wise. Wrong.
That didnt happen with the C8. Everyone kept their C6s and C7s because there werent C8s to purchase, or if you did have a chance to get one, you most likely were dealing with crazy dealer handing fees.
And then you have the pandemic and supply chain issues, and used car prices exploding too. I just havent seen C7 pricing go down like they should of. poo poo, even the C6s went nuts again for a while, and some flavors (grand sport) are still way up there.
I think the C7 Z06s are going to take ages to get affordable. The C8 Z06 is just too popular, and also too loving expensive. I think a lot of the C7 Z06 crowd is holding onto them or not selling them for reasonable prices because "they know what they got"

I should have bought a Hertz Z06 :(

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 5, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed but Im an idiot, and I was thinking of renting something on Turo for the first time.

I had a horrible experience with Turo involving many thousands in "damages" where my instance company was flat out like "we think they're committing insurance fraud but there's nothing we can do about it."

Big-time don't recommend unless you're willing to pay double for the full coverage.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Is Sixt worth it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Full Collapse posted:

Is Sixt worth it?

Sixt is great and I'm STILL mad that COVID cockblocked my Spain trip where I was supposed to rent an R8 from them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GoutPatrol posted:

When I bought my first new car in 2019 I thought "I think I'll have this car for 10 years." And now I think I will ride it until the wheels fall off. Which hopefully won't be in 2029. Things are expensive.

More and more cars are getting scrapped because of expensive electronic failures and things in general being designed so you have to swap things out wholesale instead of just the one faulty component.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Twerk from Home posted:

That's gross income, pre-tax, so they're taking home less. Median rent in the US is more than $2,000/mo and you're paying more than that in any city you've ever heard of: https://www.rent.com/research/average-rent-price-report/

The median used car payment is more than $500/mo now and new is much higher, of course. Childcare is more than $1000/mo anywhere in the country and dramatically higher in cities. You don't get to live a middle class American life with a house, car, and kids for $27/hr.

Yeah I figured it was gross. I knew you had some crazy rear end expenses in america but didn't know you need almost double the wages to live comfortably (or not as the case seems to be). And I know so many americans who make a lot less than I do. Just how do they live? I got a new house, 3 cars* and live pretty comfortably, granted rural nowhere in Finland, at far less than 27 an hour, if I had that I could probably pay off the mortgage in 2 years and be debt free.

*All old rear end cars without any payments on them.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I figured it was gross. I knew you had some crazy rear end expenses in america but didn't know you need almost double the wages to live comfortably (or not as the case seems to be). And I know so many americans who make a lot less than I do. Just how do they live? I got a new house, 3 cars* and live pretty comfortably, granted rural nowhere in Finland, at far less than 27 an hour, if I had that I could probably pay off the mortgage in 2 years and be debt free.

*All old rear end cars without any payments on them.

In fairness, life away from the top tier metros is much cheaper in the US, too. Since moving to the US, we lived in a NYC suburb in NJ, Denver CO and now Northwestern Ohio.

Life in NW OH is so much cheaper it’s not even funny. The house we bought? 30% of what it would cost in NJ or CO. Childcare? 8am through 330pm was about $1.5K per child in Denver, it’s 2.2K for both kids here for 7am through 6pm.
Our babysitter in CO was a high school graduate at $17.50/hr. Here, it’s one of the daycare teachers at $10/hr.

$27/hr isn’t going to allow you a life of luxury here, but a $100K household income is absolutely livable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
$100k is quite a bit over median hh income isn't it. Not getting any increase since 2016 is complete bullshit though considering the CoL and executive compensation increases though.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

$100k is quite a bit over median hh income isn't it. Not getting any increase since 2016 is complete bullshit though considering the CoL and executive compensation increases though.

Sure it is, but OP was referencing $27/hr, and trying to make sense of it.

$27/hr would be well above average here. Most hourly jobs at my place of employment range $18-24/hr, but we’re struggling to find people at the lower range. A college degree will slot you in starting at about $27/hr.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Same. Keeping my Scion until it dies and I'll probably die before that happens.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Full Collapse posted:

Is Sixt worth it?

I’ve rented with Sixt multiple times in Europe/Africa and had great experiences.

They one time I had a bad one was when I rented with them in Denver on a ski trip. When I brought the car back the return guy claimed I caused a rock chip on the wind shield and I got charged an extra $100 or something. I paid it but later found out this is/was a common scam there.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Updated Miata, https://www.drive.com.au/news/2024-mazda-mx-5-facelift-unveiled/. New headlights, taillights, lsd, infotainment, and maybe a new blue or grey color.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Full Collapse posted:

Is Sixt worth it?

I love Sixt. I try to exclusively rent from them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They upgraded me from a Mini to XC40 Recharge once for free, but I'm not sure how I feel about that

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

More and more cars are getting scrapped because of expensive electronic failures and things in general being designed so you have to swap things out wholesale instead of just the one faulty component.
Wasn't there some sort of Infiniti product that you had to swap the transmission if the power mirrors stopped working?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Full Collapse posted:

Is Sixt worth it?

Sixt has a huge presents at the Houston airport and always has a ton of cars.
I noticed they have a shitload of BMW stuff available which was intriguing as I got bored of a few months of back to back bullshit car choices from the other rental places.
So I looked them up and couldn't understand how their prices were so low. Brand new 2022-2023 X3s were like $65 dollars a day to rent? What?
Then I get to the last page and it becomes clear what they were doing.
"You need to add a level of Protection Plan/Insurance to cover your rental."
Oh.... so now your at the same price if not more than the other rental cars once you factor in that bullshit.
Sneaky sneaky "fees" once again.

I read horror stories on Reddit about if you decline coverage, they go over the return of the car with a magnifying glass to see what they can charge you for damages wise.
People recommended doing a video and pics of the entire car before taking it from Sixt if you declined the extra coverage.

I honestly just gave up and realized I didnt want to play games with a rental car company, so I continued with Enterprise and National.
Sucks as it would be cool to rent nice stuff from Sixt, and it sounds like some of you had luck with them. But the bait and switch bullshit just pulls me away from wanting to deal with them.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I used sixt at the Minneapolis airport and got an Ecoboost mustang but declined insurance. They didn’t ding me on anything, so YMMV

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

yeah, I always decline insurance and have never had an issue

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

One of the things thats spoiled me is National's Emerald Isle.
Since I hit Executive, I basically get off the bus, walk up to the row of cars , and look for something fancy or something that isnt a loving van or a Challenger.
I dont talk to anyone. I dont wait in any lines. I check the body for super obvious issues, get in, drive to the toll thing, and leave.

When Im coming down the escalator on my way to the garage, I often times see these gigantic lines at BUDGET and SIXT.
If you rent SIXT do you have to wait in lines or can you do something similar?
I know it has to sound so first world problem, but I just cant see adding a 20-30 minute hang out in the line time to my rental adventure.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I rented a Polo from Sixt in Iceland once, it was fine. I did not get the extra volcanic ash insurance.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

One of the things thats spoiled me is National's Emerald Isle.
Since I hit Executive, I basically get off the bus, walk up to the row of cars , and look for something fancy or something that isnt a loving van or a Challenger.
I dont talk to anyone. I dont wait in any lines. I check the body for super obvious issues, get in, drive to the toll thing, and leave.

When Im coming down the escalator on my way to the garage, I often times see these gigantic lines at BUDGET and SIXT.
If you rent SIXT do you have to wait in lines or can you do something similar?
I know it has to sound so first world problem, but I just cant see adding a 20-30 minute hang out in the line time to my rental adventure.

Emerald Aisle is so so good. Last time I managed to snag a plugin hybrid AWD X3 with snow tires for a ski trip from the Calgary airport to Golden

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I get to rent from Dollar as a federal employee.

Occasionally instead of a versa I'll get an elantra. Exciting!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sixt should be pretty reasonable on returns I think, it's a major chain that isn't trying to scam clueless tourists.

Now random no-name outfits with $10 rentals, that's antoher matter:

No joke I paid like $5 for 10 days a few years back when they had either a sale or some sort of pricing error. I rejected their extra insurance and of course the guy went over it with a magnifying glass and asked me to prove that every single place where paint was missing to the primer was already there. When I lucklily had all of them document, he claimed on of the photos wasn't taken at their location, but again thankfully there were some reflections that proved that wasn't the case.

So that wasn't fun and I don't even know what the process would be if he just refused to acknowledge I didn't cause the damage.

Eyud posted:

I rented a Polo from Sixt in Iceland once, it was fine. I did not get the extra volcanic ash insurance.
I rented an Aygo from Blue Rental there and we added a huge stone chip on the front fender somehow. They didn't seem to care about that at all.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

So that wasn't fun and I don't even know what the process would be if he just refused to acknowledge I didn't cause the damage.

In the US, at that point you would typically have no recourse remaining. The contract you signed would likely give the company full authority to charge you without proof you caused the damage if they make that decision, and courts would back that contract up if you fought it.

For many folks they probably still wouldn’t pay and it would end up as forever unpaid collections, and on their credit report.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something like the CSR that acts as primary insurance for car damage can be worth it for those arguments alone. The only caveat is it doesn't cover car sharing like Turo, so another reason to use a real rental company.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

phosdex posted:

Updated Miata, https://www.drive.com.au/news/2024-mazda-mx-5-facelift-unveiled/. New headlights, taillights, lsd, infotainment, and maybe a new blue or grey color.

It is SO GOOD - it'd be real nice if they didn't drag their rear end on making it available in the US.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Maybe I'll give Sixt a shot for our rental in Lihue. Seems like a deal. :ohdear:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bij posted:

It is SO GOOD - it'd be real nice if they didn't drag their rear end on making it available in the US.

They haven’t even announced it in NA. It’s a 2024 vehicle, how are they dragging rear end if it’s still October lol.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Russian Bear posted:

They haven’t even announced it in NA. It’s a 2024 vehicle, how are they dragging rear end if it’s still October lol.

I guess this might be out of date with covid, but next year models used to start hitting dealer lots oct/nov/dec in the before times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheBacon posted:

I guess this might be out of date with covid, but next year models used to start hitting dealer lots oct/nov/dec in the before times.

Even before that in some cases.

I bought my 2015 BRZ in August of 2014.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I had (may have I dunno) the Hertz equivalent of Emerald Isle, and on one la trip with my daughter I scored a Chevy SS. Weird but really fun car to drive, really comfy and quiet but with power and handling. Thought about getting one but the local Chevy sales people had no idea that this even existed and kept trying to show me Camaros with the SS package.

Then I bought a Volt, which I loving love to death. I now hate buying gas as I rarely need to outside of trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I want the Copen :3:

https://twitter.com/car_watch/status/1710166711637602616?t=mXx1OzAxyKi6_krG8eKx1A&s=19