Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Dried beans are superior to canned, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

whos that broooown posted:

Dried beans are superior to canned, imo.

It’s a fact. They’re not even hard to do. Just soak overnight. Just be prepared for a bean smell in your house

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

You don't even have to soak them much of the time. I never soak black beans.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pressure cook dry beans in an hour

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Florida sucks so where can I get actually good like pepper flakes and ground pepper online?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Florida sucks so where can I get actually good like pepper flakes and ground pepper online?

Penzey's

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm looking for some advice on how to tweak my chili to really make it pop. I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, and I'm not looking to go too deep into the weeds in work and materials because this is a lazy Sunday chili I make for my folks and save some for leftovers during the week. I just...it feels like I can elevate it just a little bit more, push it to a higher level rather than just rest on this being a legitimately good dish.

Cook a roughly diced pretty large sweet onion and like 5-6 cloves of crushed garlic over oil in a large pot until soft, transparent and fragrant, and add a pound of turkey, cook until cooked. Add:
1 can of black beans
1 can of refried pinto beans
15 oz of diced tomatos
1 cup of corn
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup of veggie broth
1 can of hatch peppers
1 package of lime chipotle chicken sausage cut into half moons
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
.5 t onion powder
.5 t garlic powder
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt
1 T cocoa powder
1 t instant espresso powder

Mix well and simmer on low for a minimum of a half hour. It creates a solid flavorful chili that doesn't need much in the way of toppings but I dunno I feel like it could use something more. I did cinnamon for a bit but it overwhelmed the dish very obviously and reducing its amount didn't do much in the way of bringing much flavor to the mix so I cut out cinnamon; I'm also considering a little honey, a splash of soy sauce, maybe adding mango. Definitely gonna try adding hominy instead of corn though, and also going to try to add canned chipotle in adobo, but any other recommendations based on what I'm working with?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What's "chili powder"?
I like at least ancho and some ghost in mine lately

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Junkie Disease posted:

What's "chili powder"?
I like at least ancho and some ghost in mine lately
McCormick chili powder, just a bog-standard spice and pepper base powder. Ancho's not a bad idea for an additive though, I'll put that on the list of things to try.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Since you're doing a light turkey "chili" I'd recommend brightening it with acid at the end.

Alternatively consider a red meat and chipotle in adobo, and or fish sauce for added umami.

But I think your variant is screaming out for an acid like finishing with lime juice for example.

droll fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 5, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Get rid of all of this:

Hostile V posted:

1 cup of corn
1 cup of veggie broth
1 can of hatch peppers
1 T chili powder
.5 t onion powder
.5 t garlic powder
1 T brown sugar
1 T cocoa powder

Stop considering this:

Hostile V posted:

I'm also considering a little honey, a splash of soy sauce, maybe adding mango.

Hostile V posted:

any other recommendations based on what I'm working with?

I would get some fresh chillies of various heats, and roast them in the oven. Purée them, possibly with some rehydrated dried chillies, and mix into your chilli. This will provide the heat, but also a lot of great flavour: the acidity and sweetness you’re getting from other things can absolutely be provided by the right mix of chillies. I get mine mail order now, there are some great places that have a huge variety.

Use homemade chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.

Use fresh garlic and onions, don’t bother with the powders.

And add more cumin. No, more than that. Seriously, more than that, stop loving around, add a proper amount.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

You can't OD on cumin it's impossible.
Also ask as many Americans how they pronounce it out loud

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Whole cumin seed, toasted in a dry pan and crushed with a mortar and pestle is the best smell in the world

e: no, more than that.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Add some Chipotle chilies in adobo.

Add some fish sauce and/or Worcestershire.

Grind your own cumin seeds, with or without toasting first.

Add a can of pumpkin puree.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Hostile V posted:

I'm looking for some advice on how to tweak my chili to really make it pop.

You'd be better off trying out some completely different recipes and seeing what you like about them. There's certainly nothing about the recipe you posted that is worth getting particularly attached to.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I've tried pumpkin before, didn't particularly thrill me or do much for the dish, kind of just a curiosity of a meal. Thanks for the advice so far, definitely going to up the cumin, switch to chicken stock (the original recipe was like "cup of water" and no gently caress that to begin with), try fresh lime juice at the end before serving, cut out the garlic/onion powders (they're already pretty minute additives) and try some chipotle w/adobo and then just let the thing cook longer.

I like cooking chili because I like to move levers and adjust variables when I cook even if it's small tweaks with everything else the same, the leftovers get eaten and it's kind of an ensemble dish that just feels good to put the whole thing together. Also because my mom, bless her, makes bad chili and I just want to be able to make good chili reliably and regularly for my loved ones.

e:

marshalljim posted:

You'd be better off trying out some completely different recipes and seeing what you like about them. There's certainly nothing about the recipe you posted that is worth getting particularly attached to.

Yeah this is a fair point, I've also been meaning to look at chili verde and other differing recipes but I only have so much time in a day to cook and test things.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 5, 2022

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Hostile V posted:

I'm looking for some advice on how to tweak my chili to really make it pop. I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, and I'm not looking to go too deep into the weeds in work and materials because this is a lazy Sunday chili I make for my folks and save some for leftovers during the week. I just...it feels like I can elevate it just a little bit more, push it to a higher level rather than just rest on this being a legitimately good dish.

Cook a roughly diced pretty large sweet onion and like 5-6 cloves of crushed garlic over oil in a large pot until soft, transparent and fragrant, and add a pound of turkey, cook until cooked. Add:
1 can of black beans
15 oz of diced tomatos
1 cup of corn
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup of veggie broth
1 can of hatch peppers
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
.5 t onion powder
.5 t garlic powder
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt
1 T cocoa powder

Mix well and simmer on low for a minimum of a half hour. It creates a solid flavorful chili that doesn't need much in the way of toppings but I dunno I feel like it could use something more. I did cinnamon for a bit but it overwhelmed the dish very obviously and reducing its amount didn't do much in the way of bringing much flavor to the mix so I cut out cinnamon; I'm also considering a little honey, a splash of soy sauce, maybe adding mango. Definitely gonna try adding hominy instead of corn though, and also going to try to add canned chipotle in adobo, but any other recommendations based on what I'm working with?

Try making your own chili powder! I've always used Alton Brown's recipe but made it in the oven (roast at like 375 for about 5 minutes) and then grind it up with a $10 coffee grinder that I keep for just such uses. Really beats the pants off store bought stuff for anything that I make that calls for chili powder.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Hostile V posted:

1 can of black beans
15 oz of diced tomatos
1 cup of corn
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup of veggie broth
1 can of hatch peppers
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
.5 t onion powder
.5 t garlic powder
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt
1 T cocoa powder

A lot of folks have suggested ingredients, but one technique I’ve found is that blooming the spices or paste in fat really helps bring out flavors. When you have a decent amount of fat in the dish with decently high heat, throw your spices or paste in and let it fry until fragrant, usually between 30 seconds to a minute.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

dy. posted:

A lot of folks have suggested ingredients, but one technique I’ve found is that blooming the spices or paste in fat really helps bring out flavors. When you have a decent amount of fat in the dish with decently high heat, throw your spices or paste in and let it fry until fragrant, usually between 30 seconds to a minute.

This is a pro move that I always forget to do

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Today on GMM: Will it chili? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZnoDNIW0OI

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

These are loving FIRE with Texas Chili.

oh yeah I made Texas Chili:

Recipe?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hey so I'm making this recipe https://burrataandbubbles.com/short-rib-chili/ on Sunday. I will post results. I am cutting down the heat by leaving out the fresh jalapenos and only using 2 chipotles.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
gently caress yeah it’s chili season

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Even using two chipotles the chili was incredibly spicey. I'll probably cut it down next time.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Is there any reasonable (trustable?) place to get decent dried chiles mail order? None of my local grocery stores have anything. I think I saw one variety of dried ancho at one place one time, and that's it.

Everyone says dried chili powders won't carry enough flavor (especially if they've been sitting around) and I believe them. Is there anything like a frozen or canned chili paste already that's decent? Sorry if that's sacrilege.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rescue Toaster posted:

Is there any reasonable (trustable?) place to get decent dried chiles mail order? None of my local grocery stores have anything. I think I saw one variety of dried ancho at one place one time, and that's it.

Everyone says dried chili powders won't carry enough flavor (especially if they've been sitting around) and I believe them. Is there anything like a frozen or canned chili paste already that's decent? Sorry if that's sacrilege.

Have you searched for any smaller local grocers near you? You can usually just google for Hispanic or Mexican grocery and most of the places that would carry that sort of thing pop up. If you're in the United States near any sort of decent population they probably exist (this goes for Asian specialty grocers too).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I take it there's no Mexican markets you can track down in your area? Penzy's is the forum favorite for mail order spices. Bueno frozen red (and green) chili purees have a good reputation but if you can't find dried chilies local I doubt you could find those either but it's worth a shot poking around the freezer section.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

Penzeys is a forum favorite for a reason. They are solid.

https://www.penderys.com is pricier, but for good reason. The variety is nuts, and they are hands down the best chiles I have ever found, anywhere. All of the whole chiles come completely intact, super soft and pliable, and punch you in the face with the aroma. They are all I order now, but again, pricy.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Although I normally love Penzeys for everything, the last time we got a chili powder from them was just the 'Regular Chili Powder' and ignoring spicyness, holy hell was it devoid of flavor. Very out of character for them. I figured that was just an example of 'Preground chili powder just isn't very good' or at least not good enough to carry a dish.

But now I'm realizing you are probably talking about the whole chiles they seem to have, which apparently I'm a moron and have never seen on their site before.

Thanks!

I will investigate local options some more too, although I have been told they're not great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I doubt it helps you, but just in case any other UK goons are reading this, I’ve used South Devon Chilli Farms for both fresh and dried chillies, and they’re really good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like using cans of chipotles in adobo sauce instead of dried stuff myself.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

If you're a degenerate like me, Rancho Gordo is a great source of beans. Highly recommend getting into their club if you can.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Was short on time and made a quick chili using my wife’s grandfathers recipe. Ground beef, tomato sauce, canned “ranch style” beans, chili powder, onion, garlic, spices.

A solid B chili with minimal effort, expense, and cleanup. B+ if you add the nostalgia factor for my wife.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Scientastic posted:

I doubt it helps you, but just in case any other UK goons are reading this, I’ve used South Devon Chilli Farms for both fresh and dried chillies, and they’re really good.

The Spice Shop is also good for UK people. They do some fun blends, too.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

The Spice Shop is also good for UK people. They do some fun blends, too.

Ordered from both and can confirm.

If you're up here in Scotland, Lupe Pintos (2 stores, one in Edinburgh and Glasgow each) carries a great selection of chilis, as well as loads of mexican stuff (plus they're great people).

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I always use one ancho, one pasilla, one guajillo for a regular size pot. It's mild enough for my family to eat. I get them at the asian grocery store that has a latin section too. Where I live there a lot of Salvadorians around though. I don't rehydrate and blend, I just grind. Just remove a bit of the core where the stem connects.

Haven't made any in forever. Guess I should soon. Probably will use 1:1 ground meat:smoked pulled pork I already made. Hominy corn is also a signature ingredient in mine.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Definitely upping my hankering for a slow cooker chilli... is there a more perfect Autumn food?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got chili meat and suddenly a week of 60s. I do not want to simmer a pot in the 60s!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I don't go two weeks chili deprived in this humid hot hell scape of Florida
Chili can't be contained to seasons
Chili is for the people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got chili meat and suddenly a week of 60s. I do not want to simmer a pot in the 60s!

What, too cold?