Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

America Squeezes imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Last time I was on guardians, assholes pushed the doors open right after the wall went up and ran to the next section

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Upsidads posted:

Last time I was on guardians, assholes pushed the doors open right after the wall went up and ran to the next section

Did they get kicked out?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. It happened every time. Those doors aren't meant to be opened manually?!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They were not

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, I was gonna ask if this was part and parcel with the yearly ticket price bump or if that's still expected later or what.

I think the expectation is we'll not see price increases again on day tickets this year, but who knows.

We were going to get park hopper for our DAK day but it looks like it's like, $85 now (could have swore it was $65 last I checked) so no thank you. DAK is plenty enjoyable for an entire day for an extra $170.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

CapnAndy posted:

Big Thunder Mountain (MK), Space Mountain (MK), and Slinky Dog Dash (HS) are all Genie+, which, do you know what that is and how it works? You mentioned it without prompting, but if you're unclear, it's definitely another thing we need to talk about.

I saw the name at some point but I don't know much about it. Way back, I read an exhaustive guide to making use of the old system, and I'd love to get that prepared again. Does the system support one person paying for the hotel and another paying for the tickets?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I live a similar distance away. Are you thinking of leaving their house at like 7am to make the first day a full park day, or getting to WDW later in the afternoon?

They were interested in starting with a half-day, but I'm gonna try to get them there sooner. This is kind of a stupid question, but are the hotels, like, inside of the parks? Or could we drive up to one before check-in and drop our bags off? **the onsite hotels, I mean

Cheston fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 11, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cheston posted:

I saw the name at some point but I don't know much about it. Way back, I read an exhaustive guide to making use of the old system, and I'd love to get that prepared again.
Okay, that's another post then, because the answer is long and I might as well just type this up once, do it right, and save it to a google doc.

quote:

Does the system support one person paying for the hotel and another paying for the tickets?
Yes. If you've already made Disney accounts (and if you haven't, you're gonna anyway), you'll see that there's a Family & Friends list you can add other accounts to. When the person makes the hotel reservation, it'll show up on their Disney account, and since you reserved 3 people, it'll be asking you who the other two are. Similarly, the tickets will show up on the account of whoever bought them, and the system will be asking who they go to. In both cases, you'll be able to pick from your Family & Friends accounts. This will be a help later on, because when you do stuff like make restaurant reservations, the system will already notice that you're traveling with a party and assume you want reservations for everybody.

quote:

This is kind of a stupid question, but are the hotels, like, inside of the parks?
There are no stupid questions here. Disney World is vast and confusing.

They are not inside the parks, but they are inside Disney World. Disney World is a vast swath of land bigger than the island of Manhattan. It has four theme parks on it, a great many hotels, some golf courses, and a huge amount of undeveloped space. It's hard to visualize, so:

The area I circled is roughly what Disney owns, I think. The arrows are pointing at the theme parks. Your hotel will be somewhere in there; close to some of the parks, not so close to others.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 12, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At Disneyland, a few of the hotels actually do have entry gates in their lobbies directly into the parks. They are also incredibly expensive, as you can imagine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
And in a stroke of mild :psyduck: Disneyland Paris has the Disneyland Hotel sitting directly above the turnstiles for one of the two parks, but no way of getting out directly into either of them.

It's real easy to get confused about which park is which, which is why there are no stupid questions. Someone, somewhere, has told you that you need to do something, and they haven't realised you're going to a place several thousand miles away from where they think you are going.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cheston posted:

They were interested in starting with a half-day, but I'm gonna try to get them there sooner. This is kind of a stupid question, but are the hotels, like, inside of the parks? Or could we drive up to one before check-in and drop our bags off? **the onsite hotels, I mean
The only time we’ve stayed at a resort hotel post-COVID was at the Caribbean and there was no human interaction at all, so “dropping off the bags” wasn’t really a thing. We

Drove to the hotel parking lot and parked.
Went to a theme park via Skyliner.
At some point I got an app notification (or text message?) that the room was ready.
Upon returning to the room, the phone acted as our key through the Disney app.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Arquinsiel posted:

And in a stroke of mild :psyduck: Disneyland Paris has the Disneyland Hotel sitting directly above the turnstiles for one of the two parks, but no way of getting out directly into either of them.

It's real easy to get confused about which park is which, which is why there are no stupid questions. Someone, somewhere, has told you that you need to do something, and they haven't realised you're going to a place several thousand miles away from where they think you are going.

I got to stay at the MiraCosta in Tokyo. It is directly over the main gate and has a private entrance from the lobby into DisneySea. It was pretty cool.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

barclayed posted:

America Sings. Back in 1974 CM got crushed because she got stuck between the wall of the theater and the stage IIRC. Don’t ask me why I know that off the top of my head.

It happened because the DL theater rotated in the opposite direction that the one in WDW does. By turning counter-clockwise spaces now expand rather than close in.

Obscure fact: There's a backstage tribute to late employee in the building's basement.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

At Disneyland, a few of the hotels actually do have entry gates in their lobbies directly into the parks. They are also incredibly expensive, as you can imagine.

I'm almost certain Grand Californian is one, but what are the others? Paradise Pier and DLH are on the other side of the street. I guess DLH technically walks you into the security checkpoint for Downtown Disney + Monorail though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess it’s not physically in the hotel, but Paradise Pier has a direct private entrance.

Sounds like it’s more of a gate and walkway.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
You can walk to MK from those resorts, but that’s a hike and you’re gonna be walking all day. The Epcot resorts you can definitely walk if you’re not trying to wait for the bus, but yeah, there’s none in the actual parks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach being so close to Epcot is delightful. I've never stayed there but I've eaten at the restaurants there often and usually go to Epcot before or after.

barclayed posted:

America Sings. Back in 1974 CM got crushed because she got stuck between the wall of the theater and the stage IIRC. Don’t ask me why I know that off the top of my head.

The Disney World COP has breakaway walls because of this.

Hazo posted:

I hope you got to exasperatedly ask "Why are you all crowding around a wall?"

Oh yes, or tell them that when I said to step into the dead center of the room, it was not a request.

Guests enjoying me being grumpy with them was about 50/50. Some got really mad, but I'd point out they were the ones denying their visit, not me.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 12, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh yes, or tell them that when I said to step into the dead center of the room, it was not a request.

Guests enjoying me being grumpy with them was about 50/50. Some got really mad, but I'd point out they were the ones denying their visit, not me.
Stuff like this is why I assume the First Order officers in Rise of Resistance have the best job. If you gently caress up on your instructions of where to stand (and that poo poo is really not inuitive), they can get downright snippy with you -- because they're the bad guys and you're their prisoners!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Stuff like this is why I assume the First Order officers in Rise of Resistance have the best job. If you gently caress up on your instructions of where to stand (and that poo poo is really not inuitive), they can get downright snippy with you -- because they're the bad guys and you're their prisoners!

Mansion Maids and Butler are aloud to be a bit more aloof than average MK CMs, and the RoR First Order folks take it to the next level. I kind of love it. They are hilarious.

We rode when someone was training, and they were nervous so they told us to stand on the "number color red" and my friend laughed, so the trainer got in our FACE about it and it was great

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tower of Terror ushers are also great, because they get to keep up a vibe of "no, this ride is extremely unsafe, you shouldn't be on it, you're going to die and I find that hilarious". Bad news for people who've been unnerved by a very spooky line and preshow, good news for everyone else.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Tower of Terror ushers are also great, because they get to keep up a vibe of "no, this ride is extremely unsafe, you shouldn't be on it, you're going to die and I find that hilarious". Bad news for people who've been unnerved by a very spooky line and preshow, good news for everyone else.

Super funny to watch people realize that the chicken exit is an actual elevator, which many of the ushers tend to play up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best part is that everyone thinks they can break the Rise CMs.

Maybe early on but by this point they’ve heard every clever comeback you think you have and you get nothing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wait goddamnit I messed up my joke last night

America Squishes

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I dunno, a ride about America literally grinding up a low wage worker in the gears of it seems super apt

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe early on but by this point they’ve heard every clever comeback you think you have and you get nothing.

lmao last time I went on some annoying chud was trying his hardest to be an annoying rear end in a top hat to get some kind of reaction. The CMs had the best response.

They ignored him. The more they ignored him the harder he tried to get a response and the more they ignored him. Just refusing to give him what he wanted.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 12, 2023

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach being so close to Epcot is delightful. I've never stayed there but I've eaten at the restaurants there often and usually go to Epcot before or after.

I stayed at Beach Club in 2018, and I thought it was very nice. My grandma requested a room close to the lobby because of a disability and when you looked at the map on MDE we were closer to the International Gateway than we were to the lobby itself lol.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Not that unusual for smaller parks to put hotels that close, all three of Phantasialand's hotels overlap with the park because of the space limits.

Ling Bao has Geister Riksha basically running through it's basement, F.L.Y. goes over the roof of Charles Lindbergh and Matamba is perched on the edges of Black Mamba's trenches. AFAIK only the latter has direct entry to the park as a selling point and that's such a tight fit that the path is threaded through it's adjoining ride's vertical loop:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

CapnAndy posted:

They are not inside the parks, but they are inside Disney World. Disney World is a vast swath of land bigger than the island of Manhattan. It has four theme parks on it, a great many hotels, some golf courses, and a huge amount of undeveloped space. It's hard to visualize, so:

The area I circled is roughly what Disney owns, I think. The arrows are pointing at the theme parks. Your hotel will be somewhere in there; close to some of the parks, not so close to others.

Way to cede Horizon High and half of Watermark Terrace to Disney

I kid, I kid

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’ve never stayed there but I did jump in a friend’s car who parked at Boardwalk after an Epcot day, and that’s definitely a solid location.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

I was a Tower of Terror usher bellhop and can confirm it was the most fun job I've ever had. I would get literally lost in the "performance". There's no real scripts to follow, just general guidelines for your character. The bellhops have much more free range of what their "character" can be compared to the First Order and Haunted Mansion butlers/maids. That said, they don't put as much emphasis on it as they used to so you're much more likely to get a CM who isn't playing the part much or at all.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My in laws own dvc shares for both boardwalk and bay lake.

We're loving spoiled when it comes to transportation I tell you what.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The new free-roaming BD droids they're testing at Disneyland are adorable and rad as hell

https://dlnewstoday.com/2023/10/video-imagineers-test-bd-1-style-roaming-droids-in-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-disneyland/

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’ve stayed at Boardwalk and being able to take an easy walk back to your room for an afternoon nap is the greatest thing ever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hazo posted:

The new free-roaming BD droids they're testing at Disneyland are adorable and rad as hell

https://dlnewstoday.com/2023/10/video-imagineers-test-bd-1-style-roaming-droids-in-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-disneyland/
"Free-roaming" doing a lot of work there to cover needing a platoon of CMs, including three who are very obviously holding their remote controls. (Also, those sound like R2 noises, not BD.) But it's a step in the right direction towards what Galaxy's Edge should have always had, which is actual free-roaming droids navigating the land by AI and "helping" CMs at shops and so on.

And no, I don't know how you handle the "what about rear end in a top hat guests who might shove one over" problem except for "people probably won't do that and eject the exceptions until they learn".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Renegret posted:

My in laws own dvc shares for both boardwalk and bay lake.

We're loving spoiled when it comes to transportation I tell you what.

I'm just gonna give in and be bougie: with an SD and my broken self, there is nothing better than curbside minnie van service. they even have dog beds and/or mats (your choice) for the SD. And I can just lay down and die for a little bit while someone else takes me to wherever the hell I'm going.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CapnAndy posted:

"Free-roaming" doing a lot of work there to cover needing a platoon of CMs, including three who are very obviously holding their remote controls. (Also, those sound like R2 noises, not BD.) But it's a step in the right direction towards what Galaxy's Edge should have always had, which is actual free-roaming droids navigating the land by AI and "helping" CMs at shops and so on.

And no, I don't know how you handle the "what about rear end in a top hat guests who might shove one over" problem except for "people probably won't do that and eject the exceptions until they learn".

They're in "training," so maybe the CMs will be less conspicuous when they're fully deployed. Or maybe they're just being manually driven around for now in order to build a baseline for independent navigation, like a Roomba, and later we'll get our truly free-roaming droids.

The noises are similar but they sound like BD to me

And yes, they should definitely treat the droids like any other costumed or face characters; i.e., immediately kick out anyone who harasses them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was a Tower of Terror usher bellhop and can confirm it was the most fun job I've ever had. I would get literally lost in the "performance". There's no real scripts to follow, just general guidelines for your character.
Well, c'mon, do tell.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Well, c'mon, do tell.

I’m not sure where to start! AMA

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I’m not sure where to start! AMA
What were the guidelines? Any particularly fun interactions you remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

I got some good stumbles out of them by genuinely just being overly literal with them, in the way ASD people do when hyperfixating on something. When they told me to take my bag off my shoulders I did. Then I put it back on because nobody told me not to and I had stopped paying attention to them. Then when I got "yelled at" I just apologised and you could see the momentary grinding of mental gears as they worked out how to process it, and told me not to do it again. Still hyperfixating, I replied with: "which, take the bag off again or put it back on again?" and was informed that I was clearly a troublemaker and would get special attention.

Good times.