Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

Never been a super huge fan of Sony, but there refusal to drop the price of their console at all and going back to trying to hold franchises like Final Fantasy series hostage via their extremely one-sided relationship with Square Enix that I don't understand why they even indulge has pretty much completely turned me off of getting a PS5 and kind of cemented my decision to skip this generation and potentially all future console generations from the company. If the Slim can't even be any cheaper than that tells me everything I need to know about their business plans.

It might help if you actually looked into the subject matter instead of believing what sounds like something that came from an angry youtube dude.

Square-Enix isn't making games for Sony because they are 'held hostage.' Everything we've been told is that it is generally very beneficial for them and they got a lot of support from Sony. They are in fact not even the only company that does this as S-E has done timed exclusives for Switch too. Hell, Final Fantasy 14 is coming to X-Box pretty soon and plenty of Square-Enix stuff goes to X-Box too. The idea that Sony is 'holding Square-Enix hostage' over, you know, Square-Enix doing what a lot of companies do and taking free money for timed exclusives is kind of silly. (Not to mention like... would it be different if Sony bought Square-Enix and made all S-E games exclusive to PS? Because that is what they did with Bungie and what Microsoft has done with Activision and Bethesda and other studios.)

Likewise it isn't like Sony is alone in the price things. In fact Microsoft raised the X-Box X's price in a number of countries earlier this year, which according to them was to "reflect the competitive conditions." Both companies are, as far as we are aware, eating poo poo on the cost of consoles. That's not even getting into Nintendo where the Switch and its games retain the same basic price since effectively launch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Never been a super huge fan of Microsoft, but there refusal to drop the price of their console at all and going back to trying to hold franchises like Elder Scrolls series hostage via their extremely one-sided relationship with Bethesda I don't understand why they even indulge has pretty much completely turned me off of getting an Xbox and kind of cemented my decision to skip this generation and potentially all future console generations from the company. If the Xbox can't even be any cheaper than that tells me everything I need to know about their business plans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looking back I don't think the PS4 price ever really dropped, either because they released newer models at the same price or because of COVID wonkiness. Weird times. Sort of a reminder of how these machines are almost always sold at a loss, some more than others, and that the days of brand new $99 PSone's or Gamecubes are never EVER coming back.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Never been a super huge fan of Microsoft, but there refusal to drop the price of their console at all and going back to trying to hold franchises like Elder Scrolls series hostage via their extremely one-sided relationship with Bethesda I don't understand why they even indulge has pretty much completely turned me off of getting an Xbox and kind of cemented my decision to skip this generation and potentially all future console generations from the company. If the Xbox can't even be any cheaper than that tells me everything I need to know about their business plans.

:hmmyes:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hal Insandenza posted:

Frankly I am surprised you had/have anything more advanced than a magnetic reel-to-reel tape player

I actually play PS5 games online via stenotype, I'm surprised nobady in the chat parties has said anything :shrug:

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It might help if you actually looked into the subject matter instead of believing what sounds like something that came from an angry youtube dude.

Square-Enix isn't making games for Sony because they are 'held hostage.' Everything we've been told is that it is generally very beneficial for them and they got a lot of support from Sony. They are in fact not even the only company that does this as S-E has done timed exclusives for Switch too. Hell, Final Fantasy 14 is coming to X-Box pretty soon and plenty of Square-Enix stuff goes to X-Box too. The idea that Sony is 'holding Square-Enix hostage' over, you know, Square-Enix doing what a lot of companies do and taking free money for timed exclusives is kind of silly. (Not to mention like... would it be different if Sony bought Square-Enix and made all S-E games exclusive to PS? Because that is what they did with Bungie and what Microsoft has done with Activision and Bethesda and other studios.)

See I've also heard stories that the current CEO of Square Enix has noted a principal agent problem with their relationship with Sony in that they are borderline relying on Sony to sell their product for them at this point and could potentially be doing better with titles like FFXVI by not sticking to that relationship as much anymore in the future, but they seem so absolutely gung-ho about that relationship that I almost can't see that happening now. I've also heard the lines they had before that about how the game could not have been achieved without Sony's production assistance and the glory of the PS5's SSD which I simply don't know if I by as anything other than running PR for Sony while marketing their own game. There's just something off putting about Sony and their business practices this generation and these are conclusions I've come to entirely on my own through my own observations. It seems like a good piece of hardware, but everything else their doing with it and it's terrible early availability have practically consigned it to a skipped console like I said. Much as I want to play FFVII Rebirth when it comes out I'd just as soon wait for the inevitable PC port.

Love how super pissy some posters are getting about not saying only nice things about Sony and it's consoles in the Sony thread too. Awesome posting. :thumbsup:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never been a super huge fan of Nintendo, but there refusal to drop the price of their console at all and going back to trying to hold games like Hentai World hostage via their extremely one-sided relationship with Red Deer Games I don't understand why they even indulge has pretty much completely turned me off of getting a Switch and kind of cemented my decision to skip this generation and potentially all future console generations from the company. If the Switch can't even be any cheaper than that tells me everything I need to know about their business plans.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’ve heard stories that the square Enix ceo is in love with the Sony ceo and wants to kiss them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kale posted:

Love how super pissy some posters are getting about not saying only nice things about Sony and it's consoles in the Sony thread too. Awesome posting. :thumbsup:

nobody's been pissy to you, but we can be if that's what you're looking for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

See I've also heard stories that the current CEO of Square Enix has noted a principal agent problem with their relationship with Sony in that they are borderline relying on Sony to sell their product for them at this point and could potentially be doing better with titles like FFXVI by not sticking to that relationship as much anymore in the future, but they seem so absolutely gung-ho about that relationship that I almost can't see that happening now. I've also heard the lines they had before that about how the game could not have been achieved without Sony's production assistance and the glory of the PS5's SSD which I simply don't know if I by as anything other than running PR for Sony while marketing their own game. There's just something off putting about Sony and their business practices this generation and these are conclusions I've come to entirely on my own through my own observations. It seems like a good piece of hardware, but everything else their doing with it and it's terrible early availability have practically consigned it to a skipped console like I said. Much as I want to play FFVII Rebirth when it comes out I'd just as soon wait for the inevitable PC port.

I mean, again, Sony is not the only company that S-E does exclusives for. Square-Enix has a pretty long history of doing exclusive games and then porting them to other things and they have since the fuckin' PS2. This is just how they do things. You're trying to paint it as a malicious scheme from Sony and not like... fuckin' hell, Square-Enix even does this on PC where a number of their games are Epic Store exclusive! You are going "it must be Sony doing this to be evil" and not "Square-Enix does this with almost everything."

Also it's pretty unlikely that S-E is lying about the SSD being needed for FFXVI. A lot of modern games are now requiring SSDs. That's again not an exclusively Sony thing. It's also possible, especially considering FFXVI strains the PS5 at times, that they are not joking about the fact that the X-Box Series S probably would have a hard time with it, even if the Series X would. Again, this is something a lot of developers have spoken about. (Framing it as "the power of the PS5" is obviously a marketing ploy but that doesn't mean FFXVI didn't need a SSD.)

But honestly like... what do you think Sony is doing that Microsoft and Nintendo aren't? Even when Rebirth comes to the PC, odds are good it'll be Epic exclusive for a while. poo poo, Kingdom Hearts still is Epic exclusive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 12, 2023

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kale posted:

okay

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ImpAtom posted:

I mean, again, Sony is not the only company that S-E does exclusives for. Square-Enix has a pretty long history of doing exclusive games and then porting them to other things and they have since the fuckin' PS2. This is just how they do things. You're trying to paint it as a malicious scheme from Sony and not like... fuckin' hell, Square-Enix even does this on PC where a number of their games are Epic Store exclusive! You are going "it must be Sony doing this to be evil" and not "Square-Enix does this with almost everything."

Just to help with this:

Collection of SaGa and Collection of Mana are weirdly exclusive to the Switch.

Octopath Traveler 1 is only on Xbox and switch.

Square Enix makes weird deals all the time.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Kale posted:

okay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Just to help with this:

Collection of SaGa and Collection of Mana are weirdly exclusive to the Switch.

Octopath Traveler 1 is only on Xbox and switch.

Square Enix makes weird deals all the time.

Yeah, just as an example for just recent games.

Live A Live was exclusive to the Switch for something like a year.
Harvestella is still Switch/Pc only
Dragon Quest Treasures is Switch Only (I think it might have come to PC recently?)
Paranormasight is Switch/PC only
The Pixel Remasters were PC exclusive for a long-rear end time
The new Dragon Quest Monsters is Switch exclusive
Chocobo GP was Switch exclusive
Bravely Default II is Switch/PC exclusive

Honestly S-E has a lot more Switch exclusives than they do Sony exclusives

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Always weird when someone pops into a long running thread just to announce they don't like the subject of that thread. Like, okay? People in here criticize and complain about Sony's practices fairly often, but we don't know who you are, you've announced you will never purchase the item this thread is about, and you haven't added any information anyone hasn't heard. So... how should we respond?

It's fun to imagine people doing something like that in real life. Like finding a gathering of RC plane enthusiasts, showing up and saying I don't like the manufacturing practices of RC planes and will never buy one. Okay?

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, just as an example for just recent games.

Live A Live was exclusive to the Switch for something like a year.
Harvestella is still Switch/Pc only
Dragon Quest Treasures is Switch Only (I think it might have come to PC recently?)
Paranormasight is Switch/PC only
The Pixel Remasters were PC exclusive for a long-rear end time
The new Dragon Quest Monsters is Switch exclusive

The Switch while pretty underpowered also costs a little over half the price of a PS5 here in Canada too though so there's that. As for Rebirth being Epic Games Store exclusive it wouldn't surprise me since Square Enix LOVES there exclusive retailer deals for whatever reason. Maybe that ones on them more than it is Sony to be fair here.

Bugblatter posted:

Always weird when someone pops into a long running thread just to announce they don't like the subject of that thread. Like, okay? People in here criticize and complain about Sony's practices fairly often, but we don't know who you are, you've announced you will never purchase the item this thread is about, and you haven't added any information anyone hasn't heard. So... how should we respond?

It's fun to imagine people doing something like that in real life. Like finding a gathering of RC plane enthusiasts, showing up and saying I don't like the manufacturing practices of RC planes and will never buy one. Okay?

This isn't drive by shitposting if that's what you think. I just haven't had much of a reason to post in the thread up until today with the announcement of the Slim model. I figured when that eventually came you'd see a small price drop with it, but apparently not anymore. That's all but relegated the PS5 to a skip this generation for me like I said. It's a shame, but they don't want to drop the price ever and if anything it's the one console this generation that I know of to keep going up in suggested retail pricing for it and it's paraphernalia so.......it's a shame, but like I think I'll live without a PS5 and getting to play some games like Rebirth at launch.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 12, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

The Switch while pretty underpowered also costs a little over half the price of a PS5 here in Canada too though so there's that. As for Rebirth being Epic Games Store exclusive it wouldn't surprise me since Square Enix LOVES there exclusive retailer deals for whatever reason. Maybe that ones on them more than it is Sony to be fair here.

The Switch is also six years old and has never seen a price drop once. But even besides that the point is largely that Square-Enix just does a lot of exclusives, it isn't on Sony any more than it is on Nintendo. (and likely the only reason it isn't on Microsoft is the relative unpopularity of the X-Box in Japan.)

It's fine to not like Sony but it is a bit weird to frame them as particularly malicious or controlling when their major competition is Nintendo who thrive on a closed ecosystem and Microsoft who have spent billions of dollars buying companies to keep games exclusive,

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 12, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

So... how should we respond?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looking back I don't think the PS4 price ever really dropped, either because they released newer models at the same price or because of COVID wonkiness. Weird times. Sort of a reminder of how these machines are almost always sold at a loss, some more than others, and that the days of brand new $99 PSone's or Gamecubes are never EVER coming back.

Wasn’t a real price drop but I got a heck of a Black Friday deal of a PS4 slim with Spider-Man bundle for $199, alas will we ever see such a deal again ~~~

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kale posted:

I figured when that eventually came you'd see a small price drop with it, but apparently not anymore. That's all but relegated the PS5 to a skip this generation for me like I said. It's a shame, but they don't want to drop the price ever

there have been huge sales on PS5s both disc and digital all summer from major retailers including in Canada

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kale posted:

This isn't drive by shitposting if that's what you think. I just haven't had much of a reason to post in the thread up until today with the announcement of the Slim model. I figured when that eventually came you'd see a small price drop with it, but apparently not anymore. That's all but relegated the PS5 to a skip this generation for me like I said. It's a shame, but they don't want to drop the price ever and if anything it's the one console this generation that I know of to keep going up in suggested retail pricing for it and it's paraphernalia so.......it's a shame, but like I think I'll live without a PS5 and getting to play some games like Rebirth at launch.

Okay but… why are you telling us?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

Again, Microsoft literally raised the prices of their consoles this year. In Canada, where you said you live, they brought the price of the X-Box X up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Again, Microsoft literally raised the prices of their consoles this year. In Canada, where you said you live, they brought the price of the X-Box X up.

Why do you keep calling it the X-Box

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

it's the one console this generation that I know of to keep going up in suggested retail pricing for it and it's paraphernalia so.......

lmfao jfc this is nuclear levels of ignorance. also you keep using “there” when you mean “their”

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
X-box-x series

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Why do you keep calling it the X-Box

Because my brain was trained on X-Com and it's hard to break.

(Also for some reason my phone autocorrects to and I'm lazy)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

The secret to beating coil whine is having tinnitus

joke's on you I have tinnitus AND hyperacuity

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Because my brain was trained on X-Com and it's hard to break.

(Also for some reason my phone autocorrects to and I'm lazy)

My phone autocorrects square Enix to Square Enid lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Never been a super huge fan of Ouya, but there refusal to drop the price of their console at all and going back to trying to hold indies like Towerfall hostage via their extremely one-sided relationship with dumb nerds with too much money I don't understand why they even indulge has pretty much completely turned me off of getting an Ouya and kind of cemented my decision to skip this generation and potentially all future console generations from the company. If the Ouya can't even be any cheaper than that tells me everything I need to know about their business plans.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Best gaming hardware value is probably Series S w/ game pass, then it's a three way tie for second among PS5, Series X, and Steam Deck depending on your priorities. If we're gonna single out a company for using their exclusives to gouge on hardware pricing I wouldn't choose Sony

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
All three consoles slap.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hoffadoff posted:

Just an FYI octopath traveler 2 is 28 dollars on Amazon right now

I have spent more money than I was expecting to today lmao.

Now I have to figure out when I'm going to have time to play it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now I have to figure out when I'm going to have time to play it

I'm 28 hours in and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. It's an all-timer for sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So I guess Sony are also releasing a completely different pair of wireless earbuds under the InZone line

I haven't taken a look at the full featureset but at $200 they directly compete with the Pulse earbuds lol

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/sony-inzone-buds-impressions-hands-on/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Technology prices have been all hosed of late and if anything the PS5, Xbox and Switch have done better than most products by simply not getting that much more expensive. Meanwhile in the PC space it feels like the price of the Geforce 2000-series of cards was a permanent lock for that level of performance, with cards that are twice as powerful being twice the price etc. This is especially the case internationally where exchange rates and tariffs run roughshod; the prices I used to see a few years ago on the "top end" gear and think "I could never afford to splurge that much" now feel like they're the prices for the "base level" hardware. Oh and my income hasn't improved so :negative:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

When mid-gen price drops do happen (They haven't really been a thing for a while) it's largely a combination of two things. First, refinements in the production process of the processor die allowing them to be smaller and cheaper. Second, market analysis showing that passing that cost savings on to the consumer would boost consumption enough to increase overall profits. The former was a given development for decades, but we haven't been seeing it happening lately. The size decrease in the new SKU seems to be largely due to refinements in the cooling system, while the die is still rather large and costly to produce. The price hikes from Sony and Microsoft indicate that their market analysis shows that to be their the best route to increased profits at this time. It's certainly unfortunate for consumers, but these massive corporations are going to follow the path to maximum profits. There isn't an altruistic console manufacturer to buy from, they'll only behave friendly in-so-far as it makes them money.

Anyway, corpos suck and current production issues prevent them from even pretending to be nice... but the games on their platforms are still pretty fun. All three systems are very fun toys.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 12, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kale posted:

You already gave this exact spiel six months ago in a different thread:

Kale posted:

Yoshi-P's and Suzuki's PR about how not only could FFXVI not be possible without the totally insane power of the PS5's SSD (TM) and assorted hardware specifically, but would apparently still be in development, has the exact opposite effect I believe was intended and does NOT reflect good on them no matter how I look at it. First of all it just comes across as flagrant bullshit to pump a business partner in Sony's tires to impractical degrees for no real benefit to their own teams efforts, it also kind of makes them look incompetent when you think about it. It's like you're telling me, a guy who was pleasantly surprised by FFXVI's first in a generation (not console generation, generation of humanity as in the people that played the last game to have a normal development and release schedule in FFX-2 are more or less having kids now or have had kids for some time) normal game development and release cycle of around 4-5 years and kind of giving kudos to Yoshi-P's team for managing the seemingly impossible, that the only reason this even happened is not because of Square Enix and this specific dev team just getting their poo poo together, but because of Sony? I don't even know what to say to that or Square Enix PR efforts of late. Like what the gently caress are you guys doing and is it Sony's ever increasing influence over Square Enix or what?

The game still looks overall pretty good and encouraging in tech demos, but the PR for it has been terrible as ever for recent Square Enix for no good reason at all.

e:https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-has-to-be-ps5-generation-only

For context of what I'm talking about.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 12, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For context, I remembered someone making very similar posts to that one and found it pretty immediately in the first thread I checked, so people don't think I'm obsessed with that guy or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

You already gave this exact spiel six months ago in a different thread:

lmao at this guy.