Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

colonelwest posted:

It turns out that there’s a sad small sub-group of apes pouring money in Rite Aid because of course there is.

At this point would it actually be a viable strategy to just start shorting whatever new stock the apes are ooking about? They seem to have Jim Cramer levels of anti-success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Serious_Cyclone posted:

At this point would it actually be a viable strategy to just start shorting whatever new stock the apes are ooking about? They seem to have Jim Cramer levels of anti-success

That's basically what the Dan Olson video ended with, there are hedge funds making money off of apes being predictably irrational.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Saw my first in-the-wild Trump praising post on r/BBBY, surely a sign that this is a group of well educated, serious investors. Apparently Trump changed the rules for net operating losses to be carried forward in perpetuity, a move designed by him and his very well meaning advisors to help fight the hedgies

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

colonelwest posted:

Are any Apes trying to pump up Rite Aid right now, another company brought low by dirty short sellers?

Man I’ve been wondering wtf is going on with my local Rite Aid the past six months. I didn’t realize they were so in the hole until I searched it just now. Any time I go to buy normal stuff like soap or deodorant or whatever the shelves are like 70% empty.

It’s a perfect company for Apes to invest in imo.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

its usually a bad idea in my experience. most of the time these meme stocks will just get another random pump out of nowhere once you think they're finished. not worth the risk unless you like to gamble.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

dr_rat posted:

Wait you buy lego? I thought pieces just naturally grew under couch cushions and random bits of furniture?

When my son was young LEGOs spontaneously came into existence right under my bare feet at night. Hawking radiation at a macro scale.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

A Sears Ape on r/ThePPShow saw Sears-related content in their IG feed, it must be a sign that things are about to pop off, no way their daily googling of all things Sears could have possibly been picked up by IG's algorithm to curate more Sears stuff

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This thread made me think of the CMKX/CMKM diamonds scam which was similar in some ways and I looked up this article and I am now wondering if this person involved with it is emmy award winning F1 driver and congressman Anthony Devolder/George Santos

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/cmkm-diamond-fraud-case-yields-55-million-judgment/

quote:

Default orders have been issued against Casavant, NevWest and two other defendants. Civil litigation continues against Sergey Rumyantsev and Anthony Santos, who owned stakes in Nevwest, and three other defendants.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Zathril posted:

Oh god, are they fusing with the Sovereign Citizens.

Every conspiracy eventually becomes crosses over with every other conspiracy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Every conspiracy eventually becomes crosses over with every other conspiracy.

Can't wait for the apes to find out that the true path is to be a follower of Lyndon larouche

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sure would be nice if education could be respected as a human good and not a meritocratic tool to generate maximum job utility for a Wealth Creator.

Also I am an accountant with a humanities degree and I can tell you that new hires with business, accounting or finance degrees know absolutely nothing of use to the actual job above what say a historian does.

jalen
Jun 8, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My takeaway from the Dan Olson vid is that this is ghost dance for unremarkable white dudes confused why they were caught on the wrong end of a dying middle class

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There's some variation of "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" that applies here.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear I have no interest in playing that game myself, I was curious if actual hedge funds and other outfits with the resources for short plays could see the apes as literal exit liquidity sitting around waiting to be exploited. Like, does ape ooking around a stock make it more valuable as a target for these firms than if it were a shortable stock with no ape activity surrounding it?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Serious_Cyclone posted:

To be clear I have no interest in playing that game myself, I was curious if actual hedge funds and other outfits with the resources for short plays could see the apes as literal exit liquidity sitting around waiting to be exploited. Like, does ape ooking around a stock make it more valuable as a target for these firms than if it were a shortable stock with no ape activity surrounding it?

I'd imagine if you were already holding some stock them congregating around would be a great sign to sell it all, and since they love to buy more and more stock you probably won't have a hard time selling. But as for getting in on a stock when they're around, I think that would be not be a good idea at all.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Can't wait for the apes to find out that the true path is to be a follower of Lyndon larouche

I hadn't heard of this guy. He was quite a piece of work.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_LaRouche

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

From Reddit

loving viscous courtroom sketch

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BigBadSteve posted:

I heard he won't stop with the knock-knock jokes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

From Reddit

Holy poo poo, stop, she's already dead

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigBadSteve posted:

Hey who wants a lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

From Reddit

They say courtroom sketches often capture the soul of a defendant.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

It looks like Woody Allen is finally facing justice for his role in FTX

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lt. Cock posted:

Man I’ve been wondering wtf is going on with my local Rite Aid the past six months. I didn’t realize they were so in the hole until I searched it just now. Any time I go to buy normal stuff like soap or deodorant or whatever the shelves are like 70% empty.

It’s a perfect company for Apes to invest in imo.

Local Rite Aid shut down years ago. Not surprising since the vibe it gave off was Walgreens but larger and worse.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Local Rite Aid shut down years ago. Not surprising since the vibe it gave off was Walgreens but larger and worse.

no it was short attacks that killed that franchise, we can bring it back better than ever

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Say, here's a question.

Are there any non-American meme stocks?

I've never heard of my own UK meme stocks, but maybe I've just never encountered it. Or is there a cult of Japanese people waiting for Acme Zaibatsu to MOASS.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I've actually been hoping somebody writes a well-documented, critical book on how Eddie Lampert ran Sears into the ground. Even as it was going on, hyper-capitalist finance/investor types were all, "yup, this guy's totally strip-mining the company for his own benefit, this is going to end badly." And it did! If somebody's already come out with that book and I just missed it, please let me know!

Mercury_Storm posted:

I've actually seen some Sears buildings being turned into something other than Spirit Halloweens recently, so maybe whoever still owned that poo poo is finally starting to sell off the last bit of the corpse?

I would have to look it up, but I believe one of Lampert's moves was to shift actual Sears-owned real estate into a separate shell company, both to further squeeze cash flow out of the dying retail operation, and also to have the option of leasing to somebody else once it was finally dead. But if it's attached to a mall, it's owned by whatever real estate company owns the mall, and they've surely been desperate to replace it with anything at all. In some markets, Spirit surely has pick of the litter for what space they want to inhabit for 3 months out of the year.

The mall in my hometown has a dead Sears standing empty as one of its anchor spots around its neck, and it's generally always been kind of sad since it opened. It's passed through 3 or 4 different real estate investment trusts, including one that was specifically formed to be a spinoff of crap properties the original parent company didn't want anymore. The attached Target stayed busy during the pandemic but kept the steel roll-up door into the rest of the mall closed the whole time, and when loving Hobby Lobby replaced JCPenny, they straight-up walled off the mall entrance entirely. Pretty hard to make a go of it when there's legit ~destination~ malls 20-30 miles down the highway in either direction.

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

From Reddit

Are we sure this isn't concept art for the next Gollum game?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

istewart posted:

The attached Target stayed busy during the pandemic but kept the steel roll-up door into the rest of the mall closed the whole time, and when loving Hobby Lobby replaced JCPenny, they straight-up walled off the mall entrance entirely. Pretty hard to make a go of it when there's legit ~destination~ malls 20-30 miles down the highway in either direction.

One of the malls by me from my childhood had two of their anchors do this, cut themselves off from the actual mall, for a few years before they tore the mall down. It was a Kohls and a Target, both of which still exist even though the rest of the mall was converted into a strip mall.

It's wild how at one point basically every suburb had its own mall. The mall in my current down is basically a dead mall at this point, and it used to be THE fancy mall for the area when I was kid. I feel nostalgic for malls, maybe I should find a way to make the concept of malls into a memestock. It's those dirty shorts shorting the concept of malls.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

One of the malls by me from my childhood had two of their anchors do this, cut themselves off from the actual mall, for a few years before they tore the mall down. It was a Kohls and a Target, both of which still exist even though the rest of the mall was converted into a strip mall.

It's wild how at one point basically every suburb had its own mall. The mall in my current down is basically a dead mall at this point, and it used to be THE fancy mall for the area when I was kid. I feel nostalgic for malls, maybe I should find a way to make the concept of malls into a memestock. It's those dirty shorts shorting the concept of malls.

BRB, starting the DMAL etf.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

From Reddit

disco elysium 2 looking pretty good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

We're gonna take $SPG to the moon, boys!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Welcome to ... the deadest mall

This fucker used to have an apple store!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wilderthanmild posted:

It's those dirty shorts shorting the concept of malls.

De-centralizing the, um, central hub of shopping. You could probably sell that to bitcoiners.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

We’re gonna be the Amazon of brick and mortar retail.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

BBBY is actually a perfect example of this, as they were going into bankruptcy a hedge fund bought hundreds of millions of dollars worth of stock from the company directly (which went directly into bonds, which were held by large corporations) and dumped them onto retail investors, netting profit in the tens of millions. Had it not been a meme stock, those hundreds of millions wouldn't have been able to be sold.

I'd bet AMC and GME see similar things when they go down.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ranbo das posted:

BBBY is ... perfect, as ... hundreds of millions of dollars ... from the company directly ... which ... dumped them onto retail investors, netting profit in the tens of millions.

I cracked the code, guys!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I love how they're talking about Blockbuster becoming enormously profitable by opening a bunch of brick and mortar theaters as opposed to you know those companies that already own thousands of brick and mortar theaters that aren't really doing that hot.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

RoastBeef posted:

Welcome to ... the deadest mall

This fucker used to have an apple store!

That's a really nice looking mall area.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

bird with big dick posted:

I love how they're talking about Blockbuster becoming enormously profitable by opening a bunch of brick and mortar theaters as opposed to you know those companies that already own thousands of brick and mortar theaters that aren't really doing that hot.

but they haven't thought of adding games to them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
they could bring back Blockbuster game rentals with pirated steam games by the CoDeX group and another section for console mod chips

very legit business though, buying 10k shares with the kids school lunch debt payment fund

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 12, 2023